Speed test comparisons

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: It's gone considerable off track

All I can say is "wow"!

Got my external wireless antenna installed this afternoon. Still waiting on my unlimited sim card, but these results are quite sobering. Done at the same time of day on same device.

Viasat...

Verizon...

Now the only question is how will the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan work when say using 100GB.

As for my Viasat plan. It reset yesterday. I have used about 1GB in the cycle!

I was satisfied with Viasat for the most part until the recent plan changes. The pathetic speeds over the last month have encouraged me to explore other internet options. If Verizon can prove to be robust enough, goodbye Viasat.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Tower??  How about a pic?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I meant antenna. Sorry! Lol

BTW, thanks for the tips Andy!

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Ahhh!  Feel like sharing specifics?  No problem if not :>)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Which antenna are you using? Which Jetpack?
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser - what was your verizon bars before the external antenna? How did you know the right direction to point the antenna?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
2 bars to 4 bars.

6620L mifi. You can get external antennas for them for u service $100. Do a search on Ebay.

I am playing with a couple different apps trying to understand. OpenSignal was recommended to me.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I downloaded over 1tb of games in a couple of weeks on Verizon prepaid so I would say 100gb you will be fine with that ;) 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Loving mine , I havent dropped below 1.3 mbps 1300 kbps even at night and on weekends
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

FWIW - Verizon corporate media relations has confirmed with us, Jetpacks on this plan have absolutely no high speed data caps and are at full 4G/LTE speeds....The catch is that these prepaid plans are always subject to network management, meaning that in times of network congestion they may be temporarily deprioritized relative to other traffic
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Deprioritze?

Have to go awhile to match Viasat speed.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

If you have an Unlocked Nighthawk, it might be possible to use yours on Verizon...if VZW is broadcasting on several bands in your area.  Normally, VZW uses band-13, but when a tower has more usage, another band will be used.

Nighthawk does not have band-13, but if other VZW bands are present, they can be better than band-13.  Band-13 is VZW's default band, then as more people start using it, a cellphone can flip to another band.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet...Deprioritze?

From another forum, I'm not aware of an issue. YMMV, depending upon your local tower's usage pattern, but I have seen speeds from same poster dropping from say 80Mbps to 40Mbps. I'm not aware of low speeds like Gwen just reported...1300 kbps

My speeds are consistent, 24x7, but I'm using a low usage rural tower
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
So Verizon is the same as Viasat basically in regard to being “unlimited.”
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
To my awareness, VZW is not doing hard throttling....just when congestion sets in.  Worse so far I've heard of is from 80Mbps to 20Mbps (primetimes).

YMMV...depending upon a tower's location, and usage patterns.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
I have not seen any evidence of “hard throttling” by Viasat on my Liberty plan.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I'm on Exede-5 Classic, I've not seen any evidence of hard throttling either...but I've never exceeded my data allowance since being on Excede..

YMMV, depending upon your beam, etc.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Deja vue, I did the same thing except I had to set up a solar powered relay  up on a ridge I own with a mofi and a nanostation and then shoot it to my house to another  nanostation as I am in a hole surrounded by 3 ridges , but the verizon card, im pushing 100 gb as of today , getting 40-80 mbps no throttling , its the jet pack plan 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
what antenna did you get? I am going to invest in one also just not sure which one
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If using VZW, a Yagi with just enough cable to reach Jetpack.  Google "Yagi Verizon", and it should cover (700 ~ 990 MHz / 1700 ~ 2100 MHz)  One may have to get a short connector to hook into Jetpack.

(Edited)
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
ALRIGHT!!! VETERANSATUSER GOOD JOB!!! :D Even though my Viasat Internet is completely out as of right now. (Cause of a winter white out.) I'm using my cellphone data and then plan on using my Hotspot Device for gaming online and stuff. (That is if there isn't any network congestion that is. I experienced it a couple of times this month. So I'm used to it anyways.) I have the Verizon MiFi Model 5510l it's really quite old. But i can configure the DNS server into the settings and put manual one in. So far the manual DNS I set it as is doing its job :3 Also, I have the setting put to shorter range for longer battery life. If I put it as long range. Then the battery just goes out to quickly. I can even tether my Hotspot Device to my laptop. I tried it to download an Anime episode. It worked but it was done in less than 6 minutes :3 So yeah.

I must put a channel setting for the device itself. But I left it as automatic for the time being. Until I know which channel is best for the Device itself. I'm thinking it's usually channel 11. But I might have to play with some channels that are there. I think I have a good channel it might work on. But for the time being, I'll let it be as automatic.

I had this device since the 1st of February. Haven't used it that much. (Except for online gaming of course then kind of binge watch some anime on my Ipad. Then watch some YouTube videos and so much more if I wanted to.)

Plus! The really SUPER DUBER AWESOMENESS THING IS THAT *Deku Whispers really softly and loudly* It's portable. Meaning I can take it with me to my doctor appointments or on the little bus and use the my portable WiFi instead of there WiFi. :3
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Good to see you back Deku!

From the sounds of things you have abandoned Viasat too.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
Well it's good to be back in all honesty. We will see once April arrives. But also I have trick up my sleeve. So just don't go anywhere else or you might end up missing it. It's really going to be interesting to see.
Until then, Let's talk about something else?

What do ya mean by it's good to see you back? :l I'm confused. Try and help me out here will ya? I'm still confused as to why everyone says that when I'm gone for so long. x.x 2nd time it happened. Why does everyone always miss me so dang fricking much when I leave for a long period of time?

The main reason why I did this a 2nd time. Is because of in real life stuff. (I don't want to open up a can of worms by the way.)

Also, I'm still confused about the saying/term you used "Glad too see you back Deku." I'm trying really hard to understand that and some other similar words like that. Maybe if I look up the term. It'll be easier. But also, it'll be even much harder for me to even understand that even more. No matter how much I try to read up on thing's. I still just don't get it.

Okay! I'm going to stop typing on and on and on about this. I might play Tetris 99 on my Nintendo Switch through my Hotspot Device once it's done charging. I go by a completely different username. But it's the same name but different.

*Deku whisper's softly and somewhat loudly to the Nintendo Switch* CHARGE FASTER SO I CAN PLAY IT!!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You shouldn't be a stranger Deku, even if you are no longer a Viasat cheerleader.

Gwen comes on every now and then (not as much since she now has a wireless mifi vonnection...lol). I think she likes Anime. You would like her.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 374 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Glad you found an alternative to V.   I will be here on the 150 for another month or two, then rural band FIOS, Security cameras, streaming now and then, on demand, and i will be able to to use a few tools to meet with my classes on line, another world awaits.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I found a complaint about battery charge issue with Samsung SM-R775V: "The watch will not charge correctly. It either doesn't charge at all or it stops before its completely charged. Sometimes it stops charging at 20% sometimes 80% and rarely it charges to 100%.

I suspect with 6620L, its best to evaluate charge after booting up on its own, without USB power supplied.  I'm going to tether mine to a low charging USB port, for a week, and see what happens.

Btw, TL-MR3020 is something to consider...it would allow Jetpack to be located elsewhere...I have no idea if it charges.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
IDK. Got a lot of problems with my current Jetpack it randomly reboots. It also shut itself off. No reliability yet. Will try the new jetpack shortly. If that doesn't work, will try another modem. Everything works when it works, but no reliability yet.

And yes, I have the latest firmware.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Will have to get this figured out though...

Viasat at 1:00am

Meanwhile on Verizon...

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I had the same problem and I gave up on mine, had great speeds but having to reboot every 5min sucked. Hope you get it going tho man I just lost my temper fooling with it and tossed it into the trash for good.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
There are ways to slip that SIM into another device.  Neither 6620L unit I have reboots/etc...rock solid...but they are tethered to a router that tickles it.  Might try using WP function tied to a router, and use 6620L's battery charger.  Might do a master reset first.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I'm using a signal booster...here...next test without using signal booster.  Second test suggests using a Yagi antenna alone might be best....but, high Tx power is required.

Second Test:

Signal strength (RSRP): -105 dBm
SNR: 14

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 462 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
Signal boosters rarely help much. A better antenna will almost always be the better solution.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

With VZW, a signal booster is not needed, but with a Sprint like carrier, at 1900Mhz, its needed inside home.  Both towers are about seven miles away, and with VZW at 800Mhz, its signal travels longer distances.  If this wideband signal booster fails, I will use its antenna, and hook direct to 6620L Jetpack.

@Vet - Another software update...4.0...Speeds not affected

If SIM error is seen, remove battery...wait...reinstall
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
yes , I bought a cheap hot spot then  took the sim and dropped it in a mofi 4500, it has the 2 cheap paddle antennas , then I bought t a 39 inch set of cables and now im going to add 2 wilson wide band yagis , ive learned that while it starts out at band 13 (700 mz ) it switches over to band 4 ( 1900mhz) and somewhere in there also uses another band ( 2100 mhz ) so the wide band yagis are supposed to be the way to go , keep the cable short and dont use a booster if possible , 
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Vet what did you go with for your external wireless antenna? Because I am basically in a valley I don't get great signals but I have not had much success with antennas. I'd like to hear what works. But I am still getting great speed tests.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
What mifi device are you using?
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Deja vue, I did the same thing except I had to set up a solar powered relay  up on a ridge I own with a mofi and a nanostation and then shoot it to my house to another  nanostation as I am in a hole surrounded by 3 ridges , but the verizon card, im pushing 100 gb as of today , getting 40-80 mbps no throttling , its the jet pack plan 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Nice!
What is a nanostation?
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Outdoor Poe access point made by ubiquiti. Great coverage! I don't think the picostation m2 are being manufactured any more but they are awesome. I thought my old one may be on its last leg so I bought a new one about a year ago. It's still in a drawer. Glad I did.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
for 49 bucks its awesome equipment  ! ,  made by ubiquiti, nanostation locom2 is the model,   I set 2 up as a wireless bridge to get from my ridge where my mofi 4500 gets cell service and my house where I  now have internet,   had to power the stuff up on the ridge with solar power and a battery bank but its actually coming up on one month now and no issues and consistent 50-70 mbps connections, night and day from my old T1 @ 1.5 mbps
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
What outside box did you use for your Mofi?
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Awesome, thanks.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Love ubiquiti devices! They are awesome. I have a 8 yr old nanostation M2 that is still going strong. Unfortunately only 2.4ghtz but range is awesome. $44.95 online.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

At DSL forum, a person wants to use a load balancing router (double WANS), and use a Nighthawk (Sprint) on one WAN, and 7730L (Verizon) on the other WAN.  I don't know if this connector would work on 7730L

People are trying different devices on these unlimited wireless plans...its a hoot to hear about their setups.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

Here's one person's setup...80 Mbps DL, 28 Mbps UL...."Two wide band Yagi antennas mounted at 90 degrees from each other forming a 90 degree "V". Each is tilted 45 degrees off vertical."

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Why?
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
@Voyager
MiMo setup,
edit: better link https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/how-does-mimo-work
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyger

Two Yagis for MIMO...using Band 13 and Band 4...his tower uses both bands...his Mofi is a 2x2 MIMO device
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
M5 is 5 GHz but more$.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Some users have slipped their SIMs into an used Cradlepoint MC200LE-VZ (Verizon), which only uses LTE Band 13, which is VZW's backbone band.  Jetpack does this band, and band 4, but band 4 is deployed in larger, 20x20MHz blocks in many markets.  Using Jetpack's webpage, one can see what band is being used.  If band 4 is available, an unlocked Nighthawk can work, but APN must be configured in its menu.  Band 13 is setup in 10x10 chunks...but when CDMA is gone, wider chunks might be used, or is used today...an unknown here.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yeah. I have read about some of that.

6620L stayed on overnight. That was good. Having trouble with the VPN working on it though.

More extensive testing once the actual unlimited plan sim gets here.

Could also try the 7000 and 8000 as options to. I hear good things about the 8000, but it is $200 right now. Also need a device that can accept my external antenna now.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Also.. you have indicated you tether. Do you have a USB to ethernet converter or what?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Tethering is via supplied USB charging cable...one end in 6620L, and other end in desktop computer's USB port....you may have to disable an adapter.

When using 6620L, that WiFi adapter must be enabled...right click, Enable.

Currently, I'm using Viasat, where check mark is

It may take Windows a minute or two to figure it out....I manually turn on/off an adapter.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
You will see a NDIS adapter with USB cable....not WiFi, as seen in mine.  I use WiFi...more convenient.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That's not what I am talking about.  I am curious if you could tether to a wireless router with a USB to Ethernet connection.  Hooking my computer directly to my mifi device does nothing because the device is at the other end of the house and I have 10 devices to connect to the internet!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
TL-MR3020 is something to consider...Cheap...as stated before, I don't know anything about charging circuit.

Yes, there are $200.00 solutions, like PepWave Surf SOHO, which "is a professional-grade router that is secure, reliable, and easy to use."

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Okay yea.  That is what I was looking for.  Thanks!
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
@vet
Last time I looked into something like that, I didn't see that it would work, the router needs drivers for the jetpack, at the time, I didn't see any that had them (but I did not look into that lately, or look into what Jab posted).  In other words, usb to ethernet wouldn't work because it still needs the drivers on the connected device in order to "turn on".  Some routers do wifi as wan or a repeater mode, if you don't have one that does that, but have a router that's ok now, you could use a wireless bridge, or ~possibly network extender with ethernet out (plug into ac, one ethernet out).

@Jab
Assemble your own, cost adds up because you have to buy the modem too, but still less than mofi.  I read one place that said they were made in the same factory as mofi, but i didn't verify that.  They do look similar....
https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/we826-lte-router/
https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?t=196
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

I think what Jab suggested would work.  It even says for Verizon mifi devices.

And according to the manufacturers website, the USB port would perhaps power the mifi device.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR902AC.html

I tweaked some settings with my extender today.  Knock on wood the mifi device and connection have been stable all afternoon. 
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have a TL-MR3020 -works pretty good for a travel router, I have not tried it for this, but it is a good idea. I'll get it out and try it. I think I maybe paid $30 for it online.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Great.  Let us know what you find.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Not directly related, but related to charging circuit.  From aabbcc cite, "Our WE826-T2 routers are special ordered to include a 2 Amp Power Adapter after determining that 1 Amp is insufficient when using the Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem under load–resulting in disconnection issues. "

From my reads...low current charging, on battery powered devices, can slowly discharge battery....then disconnect issues.

If I was using that TL-MR3020, I would power it up via wall charger with at least 2 amp charger.  Newer wall chargers can put out 2.1 AMPs

6620L Unit -
Once it senses enough current, it may cut-off circuit to charge....only with time passing onwards will I know more about it. 

6620L unit is a good unit....getting 8080L unit may be a waste of dollars, unless your tower has the right equipment installed.  I'd test with a mobile phone, like Samsung S8.  Any cellphone with Cat 18 can evaluate your tower.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
IDK about that.  But I am pulling almost 17Mbps on Verizon.

Last check of Viasat a couple hours ago it was wallowing around 300kbps.

Yea, I am going to change plans and give them more money :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I ordered the Pepwave Surf. Yes, it is $200. But it definitely is compatible with the 6620L and looks like the robust solution I am wanting. I mean the new 8000 series Verizon mifi unit goes for $200 itself.

Starting next week everything should be in place and I can start extensive testing. The hope is by the beginning of May, I will no longer be using Viasat!

Thanks again Andy!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

If one solution for using PepWave Surf SOHO changes, put unit up on eBay, and let me know about it.  I was considering buying one since it has programming for 6620L unit, but inside its menus, one must insert a code, I believe, so this unit knows what it is being hooked upto.  On their website, they list the codes for various modems (Jetpacks/etc).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
The 6620L is definitely compatible per their website.

Really hoping this is the robust solution I am.looking for. I have had enough of Viasat speeds below 500kbps all the time. Sure, i could change plans and might get better speeds, but my beam has always been congested and I am not going to get the speeds seen so far with Verizon. If I can do 100 - 150GB/month with low latency, no video resolution downgrading, and maintain speeds above 1Mbps I will be better off than I am now, paying less money.

In the end, I might have to thank Viasat for the plan changes, because it got me looking at replacement internet solutions that might be better for me and save me $$$!
(Edited)
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Amen, I went the same route ,inches away from pulling the trigger on vsat and paused and it went to hell , glad I paused , i then tried to order a 20 mg circuit , att came back with a 211,000 build out fee, so I researched the verizon sim and glad i did , for what its worth I went with the MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 4G/LTE Router  because these cell companies change all the time, the mofi supports all the big players, att, verizon , t-mobile and sprint so I can change if things change  , its a little pricey at 325 bucks but got a 4 yr warranty from amazon and its really a impressive piece of equipment , ive been very pleased with it and the support they have 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Nice looking unit.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Tethering to a router will give fastest speeds.  Currently, 6620L is tethered to a router for charging only...I connect to it via WiFi.  I'm using a fleabay bought cheap TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 router that was flashed with OpenWrt 18.06.2.  This works fine. 6620L is being "tickled" via router, and this keeps it awake.

I would suggest 720p on VZW unlimited.  Chances are, if watching the typical video sites, it will be enforced, but hearsay suggests yes it is, and no it is not.  May have something to do with their re-programming of all of their traffic equipment.

I haven't decided upon terminating Vsat.  With both VZW and Vsat, I'm paying in real terms what it would cost to get a plan on Vsat currently ($100.00).  But, I do have another option at $80/month if VZW changed direction.  It's a nice feature to have two ISPs...just point and shoot to one of them.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You are right about the codes for the PepWave Surf SOHO. Depending on the modem type, you apply that code. There are 250 different modems on their website.

The USB port also powers the modem.

External antenna installed.

Modem purchased.

Unlimited plan puchased.

SIM card received and installed.

Pepwave needs installed yet.

I will start full-on testing Sunday. Will be turning Viasat off. Will see what I can and cannot do without it. So for the 300kbps or speeds I have been getting, I will let the rest of the people on my beam have it for now. Might eek out a couple kbps each for all with my system off.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I bid on this unused Cradlepoint CBA850, which would use the SIM only, but bidding went ballistic towards last several minutes.  I suspect the first bidder was the seller, and he grabbed it at the end.  These are high dollar units

PepWave Surf SOHO is a fine unit, with a track record. Has different ways to use it, and RVers were known to use them...they do have higher dollar units for mobile vehicles....including LEO vehicles.  For wireless speeds upto 100Mbps, it should work fine. 

These RV "camp grounds" have WiFi now, so this PepWave unit could receive it, and rebroadcast campground's WiFi signal within a RV.  I haven't seen posts for awhile from dbirdman over at DSL, but he suggested sometime ago that wireless carriers and campground WiFis mostly eliminated satellite based RVs.

6620L tethered to router (TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1) with OpenWrt flashed is working just fine...I have not had to reboot/etc., and battery level seems OK.  I was gone most of the day, and 6620L was live when PC booted up.

As noted, I used an old CPU heatsink and placed 6620L on top, without its battery cover.  Maybe overkill, but I want to dissipate as much heat as possible.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I think the Cradlepoints are more robust because you are using it versus a modem not designed for 7×24 usage.

If I cant get the wireless to work right, there is always Hughesnet. I don't see Viasat in my future much longer.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
7×24 usage...considering smartphones are left on 24x7...I would like to think 6620L would survive also, if Tx power is reduced.  With VLSI circuits, I would suspect 6620L's circuits would be same type of chips used in cellphones.  I could check FCC's database, but don't have the interest now.

In any event, I have a spare 6620L, if needed...both were seldomed used.

What I don't know is how VZW controls speeds....via SIM and/or traffic policies.  On Viasat's modem, I believe "speed code" is sent to each user's modem, iirc.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Looks like with Verizon they have different plans and speeds depending on location. I got a Jet Pack 6620L, 15GB a month until slowed to "up to" 600 kps. The two times I purposely went over at the end of the month it stayed around 580 kps and seemed ok for internet radio and 480 video. I think the fastest it has ever been was 12 mbs and is usually from 3-8 mbs. It only raised my cell bill $38 a month, not sure if that is the only plan available here or they just matched my minimal needs. I am 3 miles from the tower at Chilesburg Virginia. Fortunately for me VIASAT was so bad the Verizon seems great. Verizon has never dropped in 3 months of use no matter how bad the weather is.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
go to dsl reports and read this thread , it lists the plan in there n first couple pages , lengthy thread but good reading https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32181018-Unlimited-data-on-jetpack, its a jet pack plan not a hotpot plan 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Al Santayos

Prepaid Data Unlimited...$70.00/month plan...no 600kbps...pedal to the metal speeds unless network congestion
(Edited)
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
You can set up auto pay and get $5 off and then use prepaid cards to pay.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Gotta get the prepaid jetpack plan not postpaid.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
And this is why I need to find an alternative to Viasat.

Meanwhile...

Begs the question why would anybody switch plans with Viasat when customers are treated to this after the plan changes. There are other internet alternatives. If not wireless, Hughesnet, or perhaps something else in your area.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
My VIASAT was awful even before all this throttling. I wonder how bad it would be if I still had it? I honestly don't think it could have gotten worse.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Since you were on Beam 329 like me and previously indicated you were on a Liberty Plan, it may have actually gotten better since the policy changes on January 15 to Freedom plans and Unlimited Plans sold before February 13, 2013. I actualy was seeing better performance prior to that official change date and suspect those chnages may have been implmented prior to the official chnaged date. 

Since February 11, 2019, I've been running regular sped tests at various times of the day. My only impression is that things appear to be better for me on a Liberty 12 plan. You can view the results at:

https://testmy.net/memberstats?type=user_name&q=The%20Walrus&TestType=D&limit=100&da...

Note that on February 22, 2019 at 10:00 AM I entered Liberty pass mode so take that into account. My excessive testing is done and was in response to a specific question about how Liberty Plans were on 329 after the policy change from someone trying to gauge if switching from an affected plan to Liberty was in her best interest. I don't need to waste any more data on drawing my conclusions, reset today and the last speed tests confirm my "normal" speeds have now returned.    

My overall impression, however, is that my prime time (peak usage) period "speeds" are much better overall as long as I have not exceeded my priority data and even when on Liberty pass may be slightly better.

Draw your own conclusions from the data provided, everybody's going to anyway and your mileage may have varied.

The only hard conclusion I can draw after exporting that data and doing some number crunching is that:

• Average "speed" while not on Liberty Pass - 13.18
  • Median "speed" while not on Liberty Pass - 14.23
  • Average "speed on Liberty Pass - 6.72
  • Median "speed" on Liberty Pass - 7.32
Basically what I'm paying for (up to 12 Mbps with priority data and slower (de)prioritized speeds after), but a formal statistical sampling wasn't attempted and a more rigorous approach would have been to sample every 15 minutes over the course of that time frame with the same 13 MB file size on each - but I didn't/don't have the data to waste on that. I'm also reasonably confident that the testmy results are acurrate (despite some flaws in their display algorithms). My routers throughput statistics were pretty much in agreement when the tests were run. 
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I never saw anything like your speeds and I had techs out 3 times and I even put in new cabling. I have a feeling on a wild guess all beams have sweet spots and bad spots. I think I have some strange issues where I am at that I do not have the tech knowledge to figure out, nor do I really care to try now that Verizon seems suitable for my minimal needs. Some examples of what I think is weird I can leave my outdoor TV antennae in the same spot and the reception will vary wildly from one day to the next at the exact same time with no change in the weather. What is odd is bright sunny days seem the worst for reception. With my cell phone it will drift from 0-3 bars sitting in the same spot in a matter of seconds. You can move the Verizon Jetpack around in the house a matter of 10 feet keeping it away from metal and electronics and the signal can go from 1mb to 12mb.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Al Santayos

If located in a beam's boresight, Rx/Tx transmissions should be excellent.  On peripheral areas of a beam, Viasat's TRIA will have to uplink a higher TX power.

Viasat's latest TRIA has GPS embedded, which I assume this is used to determine, on a clear day, how long it takes for your uplink transmission to reach the satellite.  If all users uplinks are in sync, being located in boresight or on peripheral areas should not make a difference.  

In Wildblue days, I don't think syncing was as refined as it is today. Back then, they had an issue with installers using short length coax cables, and for those living around a beam's boresight, their Tx signals were too strong, and causing "resets" on their equipment...as in the whole beam was shut down until their equipment reset.  Point here is that Tx power levels and syncing of all users must be fine tuned to get the fastest speed possible..

One stat to look at is, "Loss of Sync Count"  If this value increases from zero, on a clear day, there might be an issue.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

From the Viasat makes no sense department, all weekend I was mired in speeds below 1Mbps.  Yesterday it was around 300kbps.

Tonight...

To quote Stephen, nothing makes any sense!  Deliver this kind of speed during primetime and I wouldn't be looking at alternatives!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I'm even have good speeds tonight.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Version still kicking it though. Spent an evening testing. Higher speed, lower latency. Really can tell a difference.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2813 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
Still on the Liberty Pass until Monday. Speed test would probably be higher but I’m watching music videos on the color television set this morning via Roku and YouTube.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Everybody's gearing up for Mardi Gras - order some King Cake while you can. When is the Krewe of Ramen scheduled to march??? After watching that instructional video...

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2813 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
A friend of mine wants to go to a parade tonight.  I'm not too excited about the crowds and risk of getting shot but yeah...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
First one was in Mobile, AL. I wonder if they and New Orleans get annoyed with each other
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2813 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
Primetime on the Liberty Pass. I used up my 12 gb of data a long time ago.

How I can get these speeds while others pay $150 a month for less than 1 mbps on unlimited plans is beyond me.

Nothing with Viasat makes sense anymore.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yep. Not right. Not fair.

And you will only get faster speeds as more people cancel the service ;).
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Yup. I am on Freedom 12, I have used 25GB 3 weeks in, and I can't even do a speed test.  lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2813 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
Don’t get me wrong, I like the speeds I am getting but I was perfectly fine with the way things were before. It was very easy to stay under my 12 gb data limit thanks to the free zone.

But now that my speeds never slow down, I don’t even use the free zone anymore.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Veteran one would think so but dont think that is the way its going to go Viasat want us off these old plans its not congestion that is holding us back its them. I have never had problems with congestion until this push to get people off the 150 plan. Speeds will only come back when Viasat allows them to 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yes. After all, it is the "get people off 150GB plans" plan.

What's next? Getting rid of the free zone? Price increases? We plan designs that will cost more but promise more "features"?

Stay tuned!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Getting rid of the free zone?
It actually wouldn't be all that surprising, at this rate, if that was a step that's taken in the near future, unfortunately.  Then again, maybe they'll get enough people off of the older unlimited plans so they won't "need" to do that.    
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

I am now rocking and rolling on the Peplink Surf SOHO.

Speed test comparisons start later today. 

I have said it before.  You don't realize how bad satellite internet latency is until you use a land based provider.  It is like night and day.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Satellite is only a good choice when you have no other good choices.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I should have posted the speed test I did at my girffriend's house recently. She claims it is just standard cable but it clocked in at 147mbs. She is just about 5 miles from Washington DC, so pretty sure they have the best infrastructure in the USA.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

If 6620L "thinks" it battery is charged, it can be seen here: http://my.jetpack/

I bought that new battery to evaluate the router's charging ability. If charged, there will be a message at top.  So far, no message, and Jetpack unit shows 100% battery status with this ebay router  They had several firmware/software updates, but I have no idea what they twitched.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Al Santayos

I suspect cable industry makes sure D.C., gets the best service...Good PR.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

So from the "nothing makes any sense department" as Stephen says...

Viasat...

Verizon...

Obviously no complaints with Viasat this afternoon.  A couple weeks ago it was below 500kbps at this time of day on a Sunday.

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Yup, can't do a speed test right now...  weekends are the same as evenings for my service. 
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@vet wondering if your pepwave is an mk3? And what jetpack are you using? I couldn't get my Linksys wrt1900AC to use a USB as a wan. I'm using ExpressVPN on that Linksys so I didn't want to flash it with a custom software. But if a mk3 works out of the box, I may consider that. I have been looking a MOFI but not sure about that. Any thoughts?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

MOFI can work...but don't switch cellular providers...use just one provider.  Apparently, it self-configures, and if say you switch from Sprint to VZW, VZW will not work, but Sprint will work fine.

I'm not setup currently to do WPS, but someone here suggested WPS to WPS connection from maybe 7730L unit to a router...I have no idea if this WiFi linkup "back-feeds" on router.'s LAN.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Kay Doggett  &  VeteranSatUser.  I don't mean to butt in but just a quick FYI... I have been using a Verizon Jetpack 8800L and then picking up the wifi on a Netgear wifi range extender model EX6100V2 and sending it out via a ethernet cable to my other devices... it works like a champ... super easy to set up... the hotspot has never shutoff or unlinked... I have had it going for over 2 weeks now... (I went in to the settings on the netgear extender and disabled the wifi so I don't have to many wifi going at once)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Thanks for the advice!

The pepwave is plug and play Kay.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@pan I do have a Linksys n600 dual band wifi extender working great on a 8800l but I have that Linksys router set up with an unlimited ATT mvno and all my cameras and Alexa stuff on that using the ExpressVPN. I kinda wanted the set up another lan with VPN and not mess with that one. So I wondered if you can tether the jetpack to the pepwave and get trickle charge on the jetpack. I tried using both of my USB stick compatible routers and they all want to use a number, login etc like the uml290 does. But I really would rather use a dual band router to set up my VZ lan. Still experimenting... thanks
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Really impressed with the Pepwave. And yes it charges the mifi device just fine.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser I hate to be such a dummy... but... how is it set up? do you have your Verizon hotspot with the SIM in it running... then link the hotspot to the Pep wave via wifi? then out of the pep wave via ethernet? or is your Verizon SIM card inside the pep wave?
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@sat is the jetpack tethered to the pepwave thru a USB port or wireless as wan? A guy named Matt over on dslreports said he tethered one to the same Linksys router that I have but he was using rooter software. Neither the expressvpn software or the Linksys factory software will recognize a USB as wan. If you put expressvpn software on a router then it covers every connection to that router under one license. Which is why I really did not want to change the software on my Linksys router. I need 2 reliable lans for working from home anyway so in case the ATT is down I can use the Verizon. I'm a Ms SQL server DBA consultant so my time is billable so I don't want to be sitting here doing nothing if one of my lans is down. So that is why I wondered if you were using the MK3?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

I think @Vet bought this router,
(Edited)
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@jab Thanks. Does it make sense to you what trying to do?
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@jab according to the questions on this router on the 5gstore it will tether to the 7730l, 6620l and the AC791l via USB. And they say it is an MK3. I have both the 6620 & 791 as well as the 8800l so one of mine should work. I really was not all that keen on buying a MOFI. So it must be the model I need.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

Recently, I have reviewed a number of units...seeing that MK3 didn't seem right...but looking at this review, this router was updated with 802.11ac...and the MK3 connotes hardware version 3.

If you go to their site, they have a forum, FAQ, etc., and a modem page.

I suggested this unit to @Vet...yes, its nice, and can do what you want it to do.  If you have a Nighthawk, I believe this could be plugged in as a WAN, with one of your Jetpacks being tethered to it...in effect, a double WAN setup.

Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@jab I have been looking at them. So I watched some unboxing and read the questions I referred to. I have now gone ahead and purchased one. I am using the lb1120 with my ATT sim. No CA but still very usable. I have too much stuff! But internet access has been a very real worry for me in my work. By the way there is an older one for $80 on fleabay. I was tempted but bought a new MK3 instead. What's $120?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Still doing testing Kay. The Pepwave is a great unit.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

I told @Vet if VZW was not his solution, to list his SOHO MK3 on eBay, and let me know (if he sends a msg at DSL to me)  It's a fine solution, and if I drop Viasat, I will consider buying a new one.

3G store does not mention the MK3 term in their PDF....which using that term was unknown to me until I found that 2016 review cited.

Your CA abbreviation I may know, but I can't decipher it currently. California and Conditioned Access are what pop up in my mind.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
@kay and @panahead.

So a few things to explain my configuration. First, I have an external yagi antenna to boost my signal. It does make a difference. The antenna cord is limited to 30 feet, but that is just long enough to get the signal from the side of my house to the basement.

In the basement that is where the 6620L is connected. Unfortunately the 6620L has weak wifi and needs boosted since it is in the basement. I tried an extender and it worked, but this solution didn't come across as robust enough to me. And I didn't get the speeds as great through the extender.

So I got the Pepwave device. It is plug and play to the 6620 (and over 250 mifi devices). Tether the 6620L to that (turning off the 6620L wifi) and now you got a more robust router with LAN ports too. And the Pepwave powers the 6620.

From the Pepwave I then run a 30meter or so LAN cable to an extender in the center of the house.

That's it. The failure point is the 6620L. Let's see how it holds up and how Verizon does with me using 100GB of data or so a month.

One caution about the 6620L. I bought a new one off eBay. However, it had a firmware revision so old it couldn't update to the latest. It had a money back guarantee, so back it goes.

Time will tell if this all works. I am cautiously optimistic though. If it doesn't , I will look at other alternatives. A speed test today I got over 40Mbps. Viasat could never touch that. I think the fastest I ever pulled was 18Mbps or so.

I have Viasat at least through the 22nd of this month. Not sure I will renew. And if Verizon doesn't work for me, there is always Hughesnet.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser Thanks so much for the info... How do you connect your 6620L to the Pepwave? via a USB cable? I have the 8800L and it only has 3 ports... 2 antenna inputs... and a USB C connector... (That I just NOW figured out can both charge it AND output signal) So do you tether the 6620L to the Pepwave via a USB? And then LAN with ethernet cables from there? And just to be clear what is the exact model of your Pepwave? Because I can return my netgear extender (that links to the 8800L wirelessly and replace it with the Pepwave hard wired and it might be a better set up? I might be an old dog and a bit slow but at least I'm trying! and still learning...Here is a test with the 8800L with only 1 bar of service... no additional antenna.. but I am on a job and in Los Angeles right now... Headed home to the mountains next week and will bring my set up up there with the Yagi antenna etc... hopefully I can get something decent? Anything over 3mbps and I will be a happy camper
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yes panahead. USB cable goes out of the modem and plugs into the Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3. It has 4 LAN ports. I don't know if the 8800L is compatible or not, but support says they can assist if issues.

It is a plug and play solution. This is a commercial grade router, so you are getting quality. It is actually built for redundancy. So for instance if you had satellite internet and mifi, if you of those failed it would automatically switch to the other.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Second 6620L I bought off of eBay had an earlier firmware on it.  I tried to manually update it, and no response.  It worked, so I used it, and hours later, it had fetched the update, and it was waiting for my 'approval' to update it.

I suspect many of those 6620L units on eBay were seldom used...when you consider the cost of data in those years, most consumer folks could not bankroll the funding required. 

Unless there is a MIMO based tower being used, there's no point in getting a newer unit.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You are incorrect Jab. This was a new mifi unit out of the box with version 1.3 of the firmware. For Verizon to update it had to have a minimum of 1.4 firmware. There is no way that unit could update (and it couldn't be updated manually). There was firmware updates that addressed tethering, so it is important to get the latest firmware.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet....incorrect Jab

Nov 25, 2016 - 6620L Novatel firmware loader tool BY Rich H - My custom tool to load firmware or recover a bricked device on Novatel 6620 devices.If you need to use this tool get ahold of me at www.mifis.us<br>

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

FWIW - Software update for your JETPACK MIFI 6620L. Software Version 2.0
Device now indicates 100% charge level when
fully charged.

Added Carrier Aggregation with LTE Bands 13
and Band 4.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Okay. And your point is? Some random post over 2 years ago.

So for everybody else, if you get a 6620L unit, just make sure it has at least 1.4 firmware and you will be fine.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Jab CA = carrier aggregation
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@pan 5gstore has a bunch of FAQs on the MK3 and a bunch of posts about using mifis tethered to the USB wan port. Also the pepwave website has forums. I watched a bunch of videos on it too so I went ahead and bought one hoping my 8800l will tether. It also has a Ethernet wan port so you can have Two wans connected at the same time and it funtions as a failover.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@jab & @vet I know you like the 6620l but I have had one for years using it off and on. I have not been a fan because I always felt like it gobbled data. I much preferred using a uml290 + Cradlepoint mbr900 instead. But that's old 2.4ghz only. I do have a supported AC791l as a backup to my 8800l. Crossing fingers. MK3 is supposed to be here tomorrow. My 6620l says software is version 4.0. I know I had upgraded it when I used it the first couple weeks after I got my jetpack plan.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
@kay. Your description of the Pepwave is spot on!
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@Kay Doggett. Thanks for your help... I appreciate it... Please keep us posted on how it works out... And also curious about the speed difference when tethered via USB and tethered via WiFi...  I joined the Peplink forum last night and asked about the compatibility of the 880L and the SoHo and came across this post? 

I have the Netgear AC791L hotspot with Verizon. I had been tethered to soho mk3 for awhile, worked pretty good. I noticed that the AC791L is 2.0 usb, and so is the soho mk3. So I connected the soho mk3 to AC791L via WiFi wan. I tested both ways, and I get better results from the WiFi wan over tethered wan.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I have seen it differently. Now granted, the wifi WAN would be running off the mifi unit, but it doesn't have the range to power a whole house either.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet...The dude still has a www site, and will custom deliver...how much for this service is unknown. OEM maker, Novatel , may or may not perform this service.

@Kay...6620L, when tested once, it did not gobble data...in earlier years, I saw posts on this topic.  It does have CA since 2.0 firmware.  Current Jetpack Ver...4.5  Since Feb, there has been around 3 or 4 updates....unusual, imho.  I'm using a signal booster, so unless I obtain another Yagi, I won't know if my tower does MIMO.

@panahead...tethering generally gives the best DL/UL speeds....WiFi mating, speeds depend upon devices connected.  In era of AC791L, the 6620L was a "brother" to it, but around October 26, 2015, VZW updated the 6620L so it could do "WiFi hotspot and tether via USB at the same time."  The 6620L I have has better speeds tethered than with WiFi....so point here, the AC791L may have a funky circuit.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Or I could just return the unit and get my money back.

I dont think there has been that many updates in February. Why dont you go find of your links and prove it :). 4.5 is current.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Jab so you are thinking I should give the AC791l to my neighbor and keep the 6620l? I was going to give one of them to my neighbor. They have no internet other than on their phones.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes

@ Vet...prove it

I've recorded their updates

My Jetpack version:2.75 (L1.152.29 M9x25BEN-2.24.10 1 [2015-01-28 11:20:10])
***3.0 (L1.152.30 M9x25BEN-2.24.11 1 [2016-09-11 00:42:07])
********L1.152.32 M9x25BEN-2.24.12 1 [2018-08-12 23:48:33])
***4.0 (L1.152.31 M9x25BEN-2.24.11 1 [2016-09-11 00:42:07])
***4.5 (L1.152.32 M9x25BEN-2.24.12 1 [2018-08-12 23:48:33])

@Kay

I would evaluate those Jetpacks...who knows, maybe the dude had a funky USB cord...or EMF was radiating on it...when buying from Amazon/etc., I tend to read posts on how bad a product is, but not in my world.  Last one I saw said the battery I bought from Novatel was bad....maybe it was, or maybe the dude's charger was defective.  Just like Viasat's equipment...the SB2 modem and TRIA I have used for nearly seven years has been rock solid, but there will be posts suggesting otherwise.  YMMV...evaluate.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I noticed they flipped back/forth on My Jetpack version, but not on FW

FW version:9x25BEN-2.24.10 1 [2015-01-28 11:20:10]
**************9x25BEN-2.24.11 1 [2016-09-11 00:42:07]
**************9x25BEN-2.24.11 1 [2016-09-11 00:42:07]
**************9x25BEN-2.24.12 1 [2018-08-12 23:48:33]

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Not see three or four updates in the last couple months. If I recall there have been a couple. Still, for a discontinued device, I am surprised by the amount of updates.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

To my awareness, VZW does not list various updates, and why, etc.  What's on Internet is hit/miss info.  That RV site is into latest/greatest, but they are in touch with current changes more than other sites.  As the herd grazes on "greener pastures," site authors abandon previous models.

RV site suggested September 20, 2016 that the " Netgear AC791L or Novatel 6620L that so many RVers rely on."   Also, "Early March 2019 Update: Word is out that Verizon may have made some adjustments on their end to fix some of the issues. Many of our members have reported in significantly improved reliability."

So, I have no idea what these updates were related to on 6620L.

FWIW...removing/inserting SIMs can be an issue: Opening up a Jetpack® 6620L to Insert or Remove a SIM card
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Apparently, there is a difference between a 6620 and a 6620L units.

02-21-2015 - Here is the deal. I have a Novatel Wireless MiFi 6620, not 6620L. The 6620 is a NON carrier specific version of the 6620L. Same exact hardware, just not Verizon branded. Verizon's 6620L has a SW update to 1.4 as of 12/19/14. The 6620 is on 1.3

So, based upon this thread, was your unit a 6620, or a 6620L...upshot is 6620 unit would have to be updated manually, as based upon that thread, and the dude that updates.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
It was a Verizon 6620L and branded as such.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Novatel submitted info to FCC for a 6620 unit.  What the "L" stands for, is an unknown currently. 

Via VZW Forum - "Agreed. Firmware updates are a fantastic reason to contact VZW support directly.  If they cannot solve it for you over the phone then they will likely send you a replacement device.  We typically see replacement devices for devices that are out of contract too, but you have to prove its firmware update related first."
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
And you point is what?

Want to research something, explain why the 6620L turns itself off at times. It hasn't stayed on for 24 hours yet.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
NovAtel MiFi 6620 FLASHED to Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Data per Month
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Again, what the heck is your point???
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

The 6620L units I use have worked without issues...both had a master reset done on them.  I use to see the battery charged information, but currently, not.  Either an update or new battery resolve this annoyance.  Been 100% charged for a number of days.

I'm using WiFi only connection...but hooked to this older router's USB port seems to tickle this Jetpack, and keeps it awake.  I know router is sending packets to it, but Jetpack does not respond.

There is a config menu...mine is default...for keeping it awake.  Does PepWave show stats on packets sent/received from Jetpack?

Question is, what is the pattern of shutdowns....consistent....when surfing?  As RV site indicated, VZW has been addressing shutdown issues...which begs the question as to how...at each operation center, their firmware/software is updated...etc.

I'm throttled around 4Mbps on fast.com...yet back east, one dude has watched 4k video on Youtube, and he can hit around 10Mbps on fast.com....this suggests each operational center has different setups.  Maybe VZW can affect any unit, and knock it offline...maybe some operational centers have different programming parameters.

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser. I don't want to rub it in... but.. my little 880l has been "on" non stop for over 3 weeks... just parked on my desk... no tickling needed.. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

One article noted, "The Verizon Jetpack AC791L is an excellent mobile hotspot if you need lots of battery life to get you through long work days. Performance is on par with the 6620L, so if you already own that, there isn't much reason to upgrade. "
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Not rubbing it in panahead. The 8800 is currently top of the line. It also cost $200. Would be curious if it works with the Pepwave and then what about hooking it to antenna.

In another year the 8800 will be cheaper. With my system configuration now I can swap at mifi unit to my network seamlessly (provided that unit works with the Pepwave).

And to answer the question about the unit turning off, no load at all. It went off sometime during the day when there was no internet activity.

Meanwhile...for those of you still on 150GB Viasat plans like me, the key to better speeds is to turn it off...

(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Using a constant pinging action should keep it awake.  In some routers, one can write a script to do this....or, router may have this function built in, if turned on.

One router I have keeps checking up on assigned DNS server...sends pings to it.  I have not taken the time to read PepWave's manual....do a "DNS" search.

Where is DNS configured in PepWave...Jetpack is configured to use VZW's "safe" DNS, but PepWave router could be configured...it may or may not check up on DNS server.

Using OpenWrt, I can bring up a page that shows what's happening...there one can see IP addresses and when event happens in real time.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 150 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
after reading all of this, I'm looking into getting an antenna and a booster for myself, right now I only get 1 bar with Verizon, but the town about 10 minutes away has a really good tower, so do you think an antenna might make it viable? I'm not looking into such expensive equipment though because I can't afford it, so the antenna I'm looking at is the Wilson Electronics 311125 Dual-Band Magnet Mount Antenna 800/1900 MHz Omni Directional and the booster I'm looking at is the Wilson Electronics-DT-booster for small homes and offices. 

Hopefully one of you more tech savvy people can tell me if this has a good chance of helping me or not before I drop the $150ish on them.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
From my experience, the antenna made a two bar difference.

Are you 10 minutes or 10 miles?

You shouldn't need a booster.  Get a yagi antenna compatible with your mifi device.  Point the antenna in the direction of the tower and it hook it up to the mifi unit.  You should be able to get the antenna for $100 or less.  It will need to be mounted high on the side of your house though for optimum signal. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Marika

A Yagi antenna is better than an omni-directional. The Wilson unit cited, from one site, suggests its discontinued, with weBoost 470101 being a replacement.  It uses a flat panel, which is not as good as a Yagi.

Your setup determines what is needed....ideally, antenna would be at roof line, or higher...so, linear feet of cable must be determined.  One has to know where tower is located, so a line of sight to it is possible.  From knowing this, then one determines the linear feet of cable needed between antenna and in-house location.  Then you obtain right length of cable for your setup.

Question is, are you wanting to setup a Jetpack only, or Jetphone and Cellphones?  And on which provider...Sprint, AT&T, or VZW?  If just Jetpack (VZW), a Yagi antenna setup without a booster may be all that is needed.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
STOP !!

You are looking at an omni-directional antenna.  It sends the signal in ALL directions and has little to no gain.  It might be an improvement in a vehicle simply by being outside the vehicle but it will have a negligible effect at your home.

You need to know what frequency band is used in your area. 
You need a directional antenna (has a lot of gain, in one direction, towards the tower if aimed correctly) and an amplifier. 
Wilson does indeed make quality products "BUT" they are not all a type that will benefit you.  Do a test to learn what band or band(s) are in use where you live.  A reasonable recommendation can be made if that information is supplied.  Here's a way to find out what is in use there...
(I think you can get a better picture if you click on it)

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
@ Jab...

Can the JetPack operate on only 700Mhz?  If it can, that's most ideal from the losses aspect of adding antennas and amplifiers.  T-Mobile has a unit that can operate on only 600Mhz but coverage is nowhere near what Verizon has out there.

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@JAB

How to check this if your only VZW device is a Jetpack?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
For people looking for more advice and more help about a wireless connection, there is a forum called DSLReports.  Might want to check it out. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J

6620L operates CA on Band 13 (700MHz) and Band 4 (1700/2100MHz).  Band 13 "is the backbone of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network."

For T-Mobile, they have listed  for Extended Range LTE in 1,254 cities and towns in 36 states,

Big question is if OP wants whole house or just the Jetpack....if I had it to do over, I would have bought just a Yagi.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

How to check this if your only VZW device is a Jetpack?
That's going to be a bit hard for Marika to do.  I myself would have single-band, highly directional antennas (Yagi), with band-pass filters and do the performance test, singling out one freq and then another.  Maybe Verizon tech support will say if the JetPack will operate if only a 700Mhz signal is present.  I have a meeting in San Jose tomorrow and will also visit a Verizon corporate store and ask some questions.

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser I get it re: the price of the 8800L... It's pricey... and please know that I wasn't trying to come off as "cheeky"... I just wanted to let you know that the device has been on 24/7 for over 3 weeks and so far no problems... it does have 2 small antenna inputs that take the the TS9 pigtails.. I have a Yagi antenna hooked up to it... I still can't get over what Viasat has done re the 150 plans.. It's what started us all down this road of Jetpacks.. etc...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J  & @ Michael

VZW's backbone is Band 13...if a person has a Jetpack, and fishes around in its menus, it will show what Band(s) are being used.

For the tower I use, I look in Jetpack's Diagnostics menu...there is a meter called Signal strength (RSRP), which will evaluate how weak/strong a signal is.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

There it is then.  700Mhz is soooooooo much better in the house than... X Ghz.

Marika might consider one of these from eBay...  It's probably not FCC type accepted but then again, maybe it doesn't need to be.  This is inexpensive and might just do the trick and then some.  It's guaranteed to work so why not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222116663243

And it ships from California, not China. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Where are you guys getting the 8800L prepaid jetpacks?  ebay?  

And are they the same as the regular ones, but that Verizon won't sell one for use with prepaid service?  
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@ GabeU... I bought my prepaid 8800L at the Verizon store...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe....no need to buy 8800L...one person Kay bought one off of ebay...but most rural towers don't have full bandwidth...8800L is a specific VZW model...Correct, VZW does not sell them for prepaid online...VZW has two other models for prepaid...but, if your SIM was authorized on a different Jetpack, you can slip this SIM into a 8800L if it has been paid for...no contract remaining.  I think 8800L can be bought carrier free from OEM, iirc.  But, when signing up for service online, 8800L unit may be rejected, due to their programming.  It's better to use an older unit, like 6620L for signup, then flip the SIM into 8800L.

@J&J...yes, that will work just fine....but if a signal booster is not needed, I think its best to just use a Yagi antenna.  If getting one bar at home, a Yagi may work just fine for Jetpack.   Signal boosters can fail in time...a Yagi antenna will not.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I don't have any Verizon service at all, so I'd have start from scratch.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@panahead

I tried to buy a new 8800L at a non company VZW store, and CSR would not allow it for pre-paid service....post-paid, yes.  So, I went eBay shopping, researched 6620L, and bought two of them, seldom used.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Finding a seldom used unit, 6620L/7730L, would be a start.  I paid less than $80.00 for two units shipped.  Setting up an account can be done via prepaid cards....and paid that way.  eBay has a boatload of prepaid cards for sale, at great savings....where they come from, I don't know.  I buy them, then put them in VZW account...to make sure they go thru.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Prepaid Verizon cards?  Like tracfone prepaid cards?  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Google "ebay Verizon Prepaid Cards" without quote
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Wow.  There are a lot of them.  But I'd be looking for the ones that are for data, right?  I see a sim card.  Is that what I would be looking for?  Like....

"Verizon Wireless Prepaid sim card & $60 UNLIMITED DATA"
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
When setting up an account, VZW only allows for four of them to be loaded...I have a cellphone and Jetpack on same account, so I buy larger denominations.  I check to see what each card says....some data, some for any prepaid service.  I haven't had an issue yet, but I look at seller's rating, and how many sales is under their belt.  I suspect in time, there will be fewer of these prepaid cards available, as more/more people buy them.  These cards have already paid sales taxes....a big savings.

Verizon will send a free SIM....I bought mine from Walmart in a SIM kit...$10.00.  If flipping a SIM from one device to another, it might be prudent to have a SIM kit, if not locally available.  I have to drive 45 miles to nearest Walmart.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I'll have to do a lot more research.  I don't understand the cards.  Like, I find a bunch that say $40, and nothing more.  They don't say what that $40 includes.  Obviously I would only need data.  And Verizon would just send me a Sim card for free when I set up the prepaid account?  

I would only have one device (the jetpack) with one sim card (the one Verizon sends me) so I don't think I would need a sim kit.  

Thanks for the info.  
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I think with Verizon cards it dont matter if its a $40 card it will load that amount of money to your account its not plan based 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Not much research to do...except determining a tower's usage. I've never been throttled down in last month, but YMMV, and VZW could always change terms...but this prepaid unlimited plan allows for 'stomping rights' with congestion.. 

I'm not a heavy user, nor do I stream shows...video clips mostly at 720p and below. I haven't decided yet, I may keep both providers. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Not much research to do...except determining a tower's usage. 
Well, maybe not much research for you, as you already know what you're doing.  I don't, as I've explained.  The jetpack isn't the problem.  "Get this jetpack and get a little used one."  That's pretty self explanatory.  Can't really screw that up. 

As I've explained, the cards are the problem, because other than the face value of the card, I don't know what I'm buying, nor do I know if it's the right thing.  Perhaps what SonyaA suggested is correct, but if that's the case, I'm even more in the dark, as I'm not at all used to how that works.  

Maybe it would be better if I asked on DLSReports as I don't want to aggravate anyone here with my ignorance of the topic.  
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@GabeU I am not a expert in this either... but I believe that once you have a SIM card activated with verizon's prepaid plan all you need to do is go online and sign into your Verizon account and re up your card when you want more data... the unlimited plan is $70 a month... or $65 a month if you decide to go "auto pay"... they have 2 other price plans for less data... 3 gigs for $35 & 15 gigs for $45

at least this is the little that I know? there might be other options out there?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/?cmp=KNC-C-HQ-NON-R-AW-NONE-NONE-2K0PX0-PX-GAW-7170000001030...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Ahhh.  So rather than using a credit card to pay for the plan you can buy cards at a discount on ebay and use them to purchase one in order to save some money?  Like if I were to purchase two of the $40 cards on ebay, I could use $65 of the $80 worth of card money to get the Unlimited plan? 

If that's correct, can one still use a credit card to buy a plan directly if they wanted to, or do you have to buy the Verizon cards and use them?   
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
GabeU, from my experience you can use your credit card to "re-up" your data account whenever you want.. no need to change cards... 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
@panahead

Thank you for the info.  I really do appreciate it.  

And thank you, as well, Jab and SonyaA.  

Knowing this is a viable alternative is great.  For right now I'm okay, but you never know what might be right around the corner, just like with what happened here to kick off the jetpack discussion.  

Thanks again, folks.  :)  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe..if not enough funds exist for deposited prepaid cards, then if your credit, debit, or checking account info has been given, the balance remainder will be sucked off. If not enough funds, your service will be disconnected.  There is a thread on this topic here.  I've used VZW prepaid service since VZW bought Alltel in 2008, without a prepaid issue.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
My experience with the Verizon prepaid plans is that if you want to put the plan on "hold"  you can... they will let you keep your account for 2 months without paying into it... and if you want to keep it longer without paying into it they can give you up a year "hold" unit until you decide to "re-up" it again... they won't pull of your card unless you authorize it... at least that is my experience for the last 2 bill cycles...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Gabe. Catch me on DSLReports. It shouldn't be hard. I am just "older" on there, but still a sat user (well...not a sat user for much longer). Service will be cut in a few weeks.

Anyhow, I can better answer your questions there.
(Edited)
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@pan received the pepwave surf Soho MK3 today the firmware on it was 6.3.3 it would not detect the 8800 l until I upgraded the firmware but it would add the 8800 l as a wifi as wan before the software upgrade I upgraded the firmware to 7.1.2 and now it's connected fine I haven't really done a lot with changing settings or anyting else yet but my main concern was to see if the 8800l connect. I need to work the rest of the day before I try anything else.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Thanks for the additional info.  Chances are I would stick with just the purchased Verizon cards and not give my CC or checking info if I don't have to.  Though automatic billing is convenient, I don't trust it.  I don't have it for anything, save Amazon Prime.  I don't even have to pay the $5 paper bill fee for manual billing with HughesNet as my card can't be used for automatic payments, anyway, so I got lucky there. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
VetSat, 

I think I pretty much understand it now.  The prepaid card thing on ebay is what I wasn't understanding, as I didn't realize that you bank the cards on Verizon and the plan can draw from that banked "money".  I'm used to having to manually purchase cards for my tracfone, though every three months.  I can set it up to do so automatically, but I still do it manually, and with them, and the other prepaid services I've seen, what you would get for the money was always on the card.  That part was messing me up, but I understand it now.  

Still, I appreciate the offer, and if I have any additional questions I'll be sure to do that.  Are you under the same name there?  Mine is similar, with the same first name, though by my posts you can figure out that it's me pretty easily.  Jab knows who I am.  We've had a few discussions there.  LOL.    

Wait.  "older"?  I sent a PM to see if I've got the right person.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...main issue with any larger company, is getting to speak with reps, who can deliver.  With Viasat, this can be done, but with VZW, this can be a hassle..when doing business online.  Signing up via local VZW store can reduce headaches if some glitch happens. I'm not aware of VZW cheating customers, but SNAFUs can happen.

@Kay...good to hear about 7.1.2 for MK3....when time permits, does MK3 tickle a DNS server to keep 8800L unit awake?  I suspect Vet's issue is related to no DNS activity (Tx/Rx).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
And we all know who Jab is there.

Yes. Just get a mifi device, but the SIM card directly through the provider, and away you go.

So far my early testing has been quite promising. I am getting some hiccups, but working through them. This will be my second full day without Viasat. I am 95% sure I am dropping the service at the end of the month. Even if I have to go back to Hughesnet as a backup, I think my 13+ year experience with this company is ending.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
The fun part would/will be getting the device from someone on ebay who is trustworthy.  I haven't used ebay in nearly 10 years due to being burned a couple of times, even from people who had very reputable ratings.  I sold a good number of things on there and never burned anyone, but I lost my trust.  But, unfortunately, unless I can find one at a Verizon store that they will allow to be purchased for prepaid service, I'm likely stuck with ebay.  

Again, though, this is all only a possibility at this point, as what I have now is still working for me.  

I think my local Radio Shack is a Verizon retailer, so I should stop in there just to see what they have.  It's in the little village right near me.  
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
@Gabe, it varies by store, but the "corporate policy" is to allow buying any jetpack without a data plan, but of course you have to pay full retail.  Store policies vary, but they have the ability to do that, and some stores will, it's just a matter if they want to....  The postpaid jetpacks work fine with prepaid of course.

I got my "starter/backup" jetpack from Amazon, Walmart had them too, as well as Bestbuy.  When I looked, they had the 7730, but it was the same price as the 8800.

Personally, ebay can have it's issues, but I've had very good luck over the last 20+ years, never been burned, some stuff broken but taken care of, and it's where I got my LTE router.  Buyer protection in place, if you're worried, take a video of opening a box and turning it on.

Ebay sellers bundle the sims usually for new lines.  When I was looking, they had a $40 plan kit, for $15 with the sim, but only for a new line.  I also saw the "poor" new jetpack bundled with the data plan for $60 or so (so free jetpack, basically), don't know if they still have that, haven't looked for a while.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...keywords

Free 30 day return or 30 day returns...and input the IMEI into VZW's online checker before buying.  But Vet might say, ask about firmware revision number...1.3 noway.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Do you ask the seller for the IMEI?  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
They can provide. You do need the IMEI to make sure it is compatible. But as long it is a Verizon branded device, you should be fine.

Yes. Save yourself hassle and headaches. Make sure if getting a 6620L it has 1.4 version of the firmware or above.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Both units I bought, the seller photographed the IMEI.

Now, here may be a Novatel 6620, not a VZW 6620L..."Does not specify any specific Carrier"

But IMEI can be seen, and inputted into VZW's IMEI checker.  I would shy away from this one...it may work fine, but I don't want to deal with a return issue.  Someone gave it away to a charity.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Ah.  I checked the pictures of a couple that I looked at and I couldn't see the IMEI, so that's why I figured I need to ask them.  Good to know that some do show that, though.  
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Hrmphhh...  didn't know I should ask for the IMEI before it shipped...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You should be fine. The firmware version could be a bigger issue if not at least 1.4. Then, according to Jab, you have to contact some random guy to flash it for you unless you can get Verizon to swap it for you (more hassles).
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@gabe you need to check the IMEI to be sure it's not flagged as stolen. I bought $80 of cards to pay my prepaid jetpack plan for $48. I will probably keep going back to the same seller. And it seems to be working fine now.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I would definitely check it, and if it wasn't in the pictures/info or the wouldn't give it to me, I wouldn't buy it.  
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I follow my rural county broadband FB page and this information was posted:  Internet and cell service coverage in rural areas has been a frustration for year and on Monday, the National Association of Counties launched a mobile app geared toward getting accurate information regarding where coverage lacks.

The app, TestIT, was a partnership between NACo and the Local Initiatives Support Corporation and the Rural Community Assistance Partnership and was developed “to identify areas with low connectivity to help ensure adequate funding for broadband infrastructure,” according to a NACo release.

App users can test their broadband speed and compare their internet speeds to the national average and minimum standards established by the Federal Communications System.

The TestIT app is available in the Apple App Store or Google Play.

The app won’t collect personal information, according to NACO, but a snapshot of each sample will become part of a database that NACO and partners will use to analyze connectivity data nationwide. The data will also be used to identify areas where broadband service is overstated and underfunded by comparing the data to the National Broadband Map, according to NACO.

Maybe this can be helpful?  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Thanks! Sounds like something I want to look into.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I installed the app and ran the test a few times.  This is using my phone's connection, of course, not my HughesNet WiFi.  This was the best of them...

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 293 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I ran it once on Viasat, and download was 14 (this morning) and upload was far below 1. My Verizon cell connection around 1 and upload was basically nothing. I will rerun Viasat on my phone this evening.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Which carrier?  Inside house, or just outside of it?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
It's an LG tracfone using CDMA, so more than likely it's Verizon.  It was inside my house.  It's too cold and windy outside to try it right now.  

I should add that it's LTE, as well, which also uses Verizon.  The phone has a VL at the end of the modem number, which signifies that.  It's an LG Premier LTE, model L62VL.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...Chances are, your plan is throttled....if one or two bars existed. With just a Yagi antenna, hooked to a MiFi, I suspect much better speeds.  Who uses this tower?  Lonely country tower, highway tower, city tower...etc?

>TestIT app

Can't find it...not a good name to use

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Agreed.  I couldn't find the app in Google Play with my phone.   It wouldn't come up.  I had to find it with my computer, then put it in my Wishlist, then I could get it with my phone.  It's here...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.naco.testitmobileapp 

The tower is a country tower.  

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
WOW.  I'd say that the TestIT app doesn't like HughesNet.  It's juuuuust a tad off with the download.  About 67 times off, at present.   

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Without signal booster, and in a good indoor house location

When using WiFi, this test may not use your Hughes...somehow, they can eliminate WiFi and use your mobile data side.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
It was definitely using my HughesNet WiFi.  I could see it not only in my modem's activity, but also how the test acted while running.  It took a lot longer to run than when using the mobile data, which was turned off.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Sidebar Tidbit - Spectrum Mobile is likely to steal customers from all four nationwide carriers, but for Verizon the blow will be cushioned by the payments it gets from Charter each time the cable company moves data across its network. Charter is reportedly paying Verizon $5 per gigabyte.

I have Exede-5-10 plan, and paying still $50.00/month...10GB x $5.00 = $50.00.

150GB x $5.00 = $750.00....

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
95% of the time o have no idea..

I miss the old forum.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Take a break: "You Bet Your Life"
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 562 Posts
  • 399 Reply Likes
I never like this one and refused to use it for a good while.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@jab with TestIT this morning using the pepwave surf Soho out of the box. Tethered to USB and also wifi on wan as second priority
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Kay. So you got a Pepwave? How do you like it?

My test results are similar.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I really like it. I have the 8800l tethered to the USB and I have a 5 gigahertz WIFI on WAN as priority 2 so far. It did not detect the 8800l until I upgraded the firmware to 7.1.2. it shipped with 6.3.3. I have not been able to get to the VPN set up yet. It just came yesterday. It seems to make the 8800l more stable the way I have it set up. I have noticed it switches from the USB to wifi wan some. I bought the MK3 from Amazon. I wish I had done it before. I have looked at them for months.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I really like it too. If I kept satellite internet it would plug into the other port and all networking would run through it. So for anybody with satellite internet looking for internet redundancy with wireless (or vica versa) it is a great option.

My only problem is I can't keep my 6620L powered up. It shuts down on me and then I have to restart it. Might have to move to a 7000 or 8000 like you. Otherwise, my Viasat internet has now been off for 48+ hours and I haven't run into a show stopper yet. Once I get rid of Viasat if I do decide to get satellite internet (which would be Hughesnet) I will have the new modem installed so I can run it through the Pepwave too!
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have a 6620 and an AC791l but since I found that 8800l I have not bothered with the other two. I got the 6620 on a postpaid plan but I switched the sim back to my old uml290 + CradlePoint mbr900 at the time because that 6620l used too much data. So I never really used it much. I never got good reception here on it also - even tried antennas. I have used it off and on over the years but not much. I used it to sign up for this new jetpack plan but I actually switched the device to the 8800 when I got that. I have seen some flakey 8800 behavior but not since I hooked it up to the pepwave. My husband watched ESPN on our Roku last night (Duke game) on the pepwave and it was great. No buffering or disconnects. I am reluctant to give either of those old jetpacks up in case I want to add another line.

I'm a 68 yr old grandma who still works 40+ hrs a week as a remote SQL server DBA consultant so I have always been kind of a geek.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I have another 6620 tied to my shared plan. I use it when I travel and it can be flaky too.

I am fiddling with some settings on it.

That is great you got an 8800. They can be pretty pricey (the same or more than a Pepwave). I could upgrade my old 6620 and get a 8800 for $100 (with a two year contract). Then put the prepaid unlimited SIM in it. Thanks for saying about the firmware update if I do that!

You mention streaming. I streamed Netflix at 1080p the other night, no problem. Haven't tried Amazon or HBO Go yet through the Roku. That will be another test. I have run my Plex server through the new network I installed. It worked fine.

So again, I am about 85% home on this.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay

With VPN setup on PepWave, there will be a performance hit.

PepWave has a Health Check (pg 31) menu, so ping time can be changed for WAN verification.

DNS and its Caching options are nice features (pg. 24+), especially if a sat WAN was used.

If an Yagi external antenna was used, and placed away and much higher than Jetpack modem, reception/transmission should be just fine, in your location.  With a signal booster setup, antenna should be as high as possible.  My signal booster is in same plane, but its shielded from backside EMF hitting Jetpack.  Coax cable used will make a difference on longer cable runs.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.