Speed

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
My plan says that i should get up to 12 mbps but I never get it. “Liberty plans are a flexible and fast way to get high-speed internet, starting with a set amount of Priority Data with download speeds of up to 12 Mbps.” - viasat.com. I feel scammed. I have no complaints really for how it works midday on weekdays. If conjestion is the issue then open it up and just give everybody a solid 6 mbps. The highest we get is 12mbps and lowest when you throttle is below 1. Also note it is the morning and I am still on priority. Viasat please fix.
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 81 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I want to know why HBONow has so much worse buffering problems than Netflix. First Dish drops HBO then Viasat is going to buffer the hell out of GOT.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 436 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
It’s believed that Viasat has their own proxy servers for Netflix content.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
How Netflix Works With ISPs Around the Globe to Deliver a Great Viewing Experience
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3459 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
Oh I assure you that's pretty universal on different ISPs. It's something about HBONow. Are you watching on a FireStick? A double tap FastForward *sometimes* gets past it and stays on the same part but it's very annoying. 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 377 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
The key words are “up to.”
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
And it never is
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
They could say up to 50 using that logic
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 377 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
It is simply the English language.
Photo of Get Nosatisfaction

Get Nosatisfaction

• 7 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Well they say it is "unlimited" too.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I lost up to 75 pounds yesterday
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 377 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
It is unlimited in the sense that they say. You have to read the words. Their contract basically allows them to provide any nonzero speed and not be in violation of the contract. You have to know that when you sign. I knew that and hoped for better. I have not received what I had hoped for, but I can’t say that they are in violation of the contract as the contract really doesn’t guarantee you any meaningful performance level.

Get Nosatisfaction

• 7 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Given that logic, any plan is unlimited. Even the old 7.5GB per month classic plan was unlimited with your definition. Yet it wasnt marketed that way.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 377 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
You keep saying logic, but you seem to not understand either English or logic. Just what does unlimited mean to you? There are no data limits. You may need to look up the definition of limit.

Get Nosatisfaction

• 7 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I guess you are right. But I am not dumb enough to pay Viasat for subpar service.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 436 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Then cancel your account and move on.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Get Nosatisfaction...any plan is unlimited.

Correct...dialup can be unlimited...or even "all you can eat."  Unless service is stopped...its unlimited:-)

"When your plan includes "unlimited data," it means you won't pay extra no matter how much data you use."

Fact: A Truly Unlimited Data Plan Doesn't Exist

When you are buying an unlimited plan, you might find language that resembles this:

Customer may experience reduced speeds at times of network congestion.
Translation: If our network gets busy, we might slow you down.

(Edited)
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nathan hart to what exactly? The only reason people have viasat is because it is a last resort.
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nathan hart to what exactly? The only reason people have viasat is because it is a last resort.
Photo of a_concerned_customer

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
@Get Nosatisfaction
It is fairly commonplace for ISPs to lie about their speeds to make customers think they are getting a better deal than they really are. I vaguely remember a news article about it. https://www.extremetech.com/internet/264964-charter-appeals-court-loss-deceptive-advertising-false-performance-claims this is their appeal but I am sure you can find the original story if you look a little harder than I did.

There's also plenty of anecdotal evidence if you search the terms "isp class action speeds not as advertised" as I did. An example: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-investigations/2018/09/06/internet-service-slower-than-should-youre-not-alone/957149002/

Since this is satellite and there are lots of variables, likely at least part of it is out of viasat's control. But it's not uncommon for ISPs to throttle for whatever reason they feel like. Often the wording in contracts specifically allows them to. They can also shut down your service if the whim hits them. You should always expect service to be at least 25-50% less than advertised no matter the service. Fiber is probably your best bet for decent service if you have someone laying cable in your area.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3459 Posts
  • 1294 Reply Likes
Is it still doing this? If you are still with priority data and it's doing this outside of peak hours give us a call at 855-463-9333 and we'll take a look because that shouldn't be the case