Speed Issues

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
So it is clear I am not the only one having issues with their service. It's only been a couple of days now but I've seen a little over 50% reduction in speeds during the free time. Sometimes up to 90%+! It doesn't seem to affect me in the morning like some others, but it's pretty bad news. What is going on exede?

Someone needs to talk to us consumers!
Photo of a_concerned_customer

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
  • Annoyed

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
People are getting throttled even when they haven't went over their data limits. Viasat reserves the right to provide to as poor as service as possible while squeezing you for every last dime.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Totally right 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

See...no speed here

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hughesnet tried the same tactic to try to get me to upgrade and get out of our original contract because they wanted to get rid of free time and other bs. A word of warning to viasat: I cancelled their service in favor of dialup and am ready to do it again if I have to.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Viasat is not in the habit of wrecking people’s connections for funsies. What plan are you on? What speeds are you getting? How much data have you used.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Nathan are you campaigning to be the next Viasat homer? Viasat is throttling people that haven't went over their limits. I guess you think everyone having trouble with Viasat is lying and your experience is typical. Look around, You can count the happy people on one hand.
Photo of BaeBae125524

BaeBae125524

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
My Hulu keeps buffering. I have only used 14 of my "unlimited" but they lie it is 150 data. I'm so over this. Hey everyone, lets film our buffering and put it on social media along with the lying commercial they advertise. I am literally buffering every few seconds. Can't even watch one show. 
Photo of Dan Pitisci

Dan Pitisci

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the largest plan available, Freedom Boost 25. — 150G. The modem is slow and gets slower everyday, however over the past few weeks it is offline several minutes at a time, multiple x’s a day.
The best that ViaSat will do for me is change plans and get a new modem/gateway. The new modem is considerably faster, and because of this they no longer offer the FREEDOM plan and the new plans are for minimal data.
I’m sure I’m not the only tech savvy customer that knows this is wrong.
Photo of Rona R. Brown

Rona R. Brown

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had Viasat for a 2 weeks and I ask the sales department would I have issues concerning internet because,i work from home , internet is very slow and or does not work ! They want me to pay more for data told me that it’s a possibility I won’t get on because of priority customers They say it’s because I am on a 60.8 gig a bit and data won’t renew until the 8 of each month I called several times but no one is calling to talk with me! At this point I don’t want the services they SUCk!!!!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If you need reliable internet to work from home satellite is a poor choice. Even if you are in a perfect spot on a magic beam extreme weather such as heavy rain or snow will cause an outage. If you are in an area with a weak signal light rain or snow can cause an outage.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1544 Posts
  • 912 Reply Likes
Not to mention speed will fluctuate wildly.
Photo of CP

CP

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I just was on the phone with an agent and also read the usage policy because of slow speeds.  No matter what plan you have you can be throttled to almost nothing anytime and that's by artificial design.  They essentially lump those of us in the higher data plans into one large group that shares a little bit of data so none of us get good service in the evenings.  Others with lower plans get better service because they pay more for each GB and get grouped with lesser data users.  That is why they push to have you change plans...to charge the same or more for less data!  By artificially causing network congestion, giving poor service, they will essentially force you to change!

They won't tell you directly that but that is exactly how it works.  High data plans and advertised speed are smoke and mirrors.  An example of how they do it is as follows:  They can group 1000 people with 150GB plans together and allow that group 1% of their bandwidth on a spot beam.  They take another group of 10 25GB users and give them 99% of the bandwidth on the same spot beam.  Of course those with the higher GB plans have extreme slowdowns and the others little speed decrease.  "Network congestion" is artificially induced by grouping a lot of people to a small % of bandwidth so "network congestion" is really however they design it and can be artificially changed by who they group together.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes

Actually they do describe it in the Network Management Policy at:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/network-management-policy.pdf

The traffic of each subscriber is associated with a single spot beam.  Viasat strives to load its system so that at any given time the traffic load across different subsets of the capacity available on a spot beam (each a “Channel”) within a given spot beam is roughly comparable, except subscribers who have high-data threshold service plans may be grouped in a Channel together with other like subscribers.  Available capacity within any given spot beam or Channel is largely fixed; subscribers assigned to a Channel share the available bandwidth in that Channel.
As an aside and from a historical perspective, that document was first published right around the time of the Open Internet order adoption (Net Neutrality) in  2015 and was a document required by the FCC to inform consumers of ISP network  management practices.

Viasat has continued to update it over time and the first mention of these high data usage "channels" as I recall was around the policy change to Freedom and pre-February 2018 Unlimited plans. Those are the high data thresholds being described in that context. I don't believe Unlimited Platinum falls into that classification despite its 150GB threshold.

It's worth a read to understand what's going on regardless of how one feels about the policies. By understanding it, you might be able to make a more informed (less emotional) decision on how to deal with it regardless of where each of us stands on the issue - i.e. keep your plan, switch plans or drop Viasat.

FWIW if you followed the quarterly conference calls, at one point it was explicitly stated that around 20,000 subscribers adopted those early, misguided unlimited plans having 150GB. Freedom plan subscriber counts were never really published but assuming a similar number, the vast majority of the stated 577,000 subscribers at the time were likely on Classic, Liberty, Evolution plans to reflect an ARPU of around $60 and most of them were complaining about their speeds at that time. I can only say with certainty that my Liberty plan got better with the change and for those reasons I'm inclined to accept the official response targeting the majority of customers and given 8 months ago although others surely will disagree:

Viasat prematurely painted themselves into a corner with those high data thresholds on Viasat-1 before the Viasat-2 issues became known. 
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1544 Posts
  • 912 Reply Likes
Very much so. They put the cart before the horse, and to get out of that mistake they alienated and lost a number of customers.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Oooh! Ahhh! That's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming...

and the Pirates of the Caribbean eat the tourists.
(Edited)
Photo of CP

CP

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You showed exactly what I was talking about!   They group all the higher data plans into a special group that gets slower data by design so as not to give them the same data throughput as others, in fact a lot slower.  Certainly you can agree that they implied data would be slowed only AFTER the data cap is reached...not from the first GB of data which is occurring now.

It would be the same as making ALL the cars on a 5 lane highway (us "high data users") ONLY use the one carpool lane and letting the carpool lane cars (lower data users) use ALL the other 5 lanes.  Doesn't really seem right does it?

Do you work for them?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
No.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
No.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
You missed the point - your assertion was that they don't tell you directlly when it's been there in black and white since the policy changed back in January and was the subject of much debate around here including the change that says those plans may be deprioritized at any time regardless of the amount of data used. Your analogy is a bit off like most attempts to explain bandwidth in car terminology  - but if it gets the majority of people to work on time that's a good thing.

Again read the entire network management policy along with the usage policy document for your plan and not just that excerpt - the link's above. There's much more to it than the simplified explanation you'll get over the phone.
(Edited)
Photo of CP

CP

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Based on what you imply there is no "priority data" anymore.  Wouldn't it be simpler to have one statement like "There is no such thing as "priority data" as we can slow your speed at any time to less than 1Mbps regardless of the speed you purchased.  Even though we sell you 12GB, 25GB, 50GB, or unlimited plans with "priority data" it really doesn't mean anything and your speed can be slow even though we have the capacity for higher speed on our satellites.  We will change your speed anytime regardless how much you have used and has nothing to do with the data limit purchased.  Priority data means nothing, it just sounds good for sales."  

That's really what is occurring despite a wordy data policy...right??  You have to agree that 0.2 to 0.4Mbps is slower than is reasonable for what they advertise...that's what I get at night frequently now.  Never happened before the policy change so its an artificially low speed intended to punish the old plan purchasers.  They advertise their slowest, after data cap speed as 1-5Mbps which is less than I get frequently (but still get 25+Mbps in the daytime).
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 118 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I have many rural friends and neighbors who choose to go without internet because they know that satellite is way overpriced and under performs. I don't blame them. Having enough money for food and electricity is more important than wasting it on a company such as this.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2216 Posts
  • 1348 Reply Likes
If it's a choice between food and electricity and that of internet, it wouldn't matter if the internet were super duper unlimited fiber at 1Gbps, they're still going to go with the food and electricity.  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 118 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
No. They believe it's a waste of money for what you're getting. That's why they do without.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 330 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Minimum plan where I am at is just shy of $120 a month for 35 GB after adding everything up, that is after paying $150 for an install. That is just a little less than my electric bill and I have an all electric house where the heater or AC is running 8 months out of the year. Or that could be a week's groceries. Definitely not a good value for what it is.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
CP,

Yes that's what the new policy says for all intents and purposes for those having Freedom or Unlimited Plans acquired before February 13, 2018. My first reaction to the change was, in fact, so priority data is meaning less during congested periods. I'm not here to defend it nor debate the fairness of life, but you're all over the place and it's not even clear what plan you're on and when you acquired it. There are plenty of folks here more than willing to debate the fairness or sympathize - that's not going to change the reality.

If on one of those plans, Viasat has made it clear what your options are: keep it (hopefully you can limit use to non-peak hours), change plans or leave - simple as that. If that's you, make an informed decision. Only you are in the position to determine what's best for your circumstances.

That's not news at this point. What is new at this point is that the policy change is starting to affect others who were previously unaffected on those plans as Viasat continues to add new subs to their beam.

It was a horrible policy change. Does that make you feel better?
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
Fat chance, yoh signed a contract that is stacked totally in their favor. They cant/won't do anything except take your money and threaten you.

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I signed but am out of contract atm. Currently looking for alternatives in my area.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
If speed is really bad, look into cell hot spot as a temporary alternative. I can get 44gig download from only carrier that has a good signal. It's more than what I normally use on Viasat since I can rarely view video on Viacrap.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Cell hot spot if it works is better than temporary, Tim. My Verizon wireless is not the greatest, but it never drops and always works. that blows away Viacrap. Once you have had Viasat there is no way to go but up.
Photo of BaeBae125524

BaeBae125524

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
SO TRUE AL. SO TRUE. they pretend to try to fix it by telling you to turn it on and off blah blah, when you've probably turned it on and off 3 times before calling in.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Those out of country call center people are reading off a script, you are wasting your time telling them what you did. They know absolutely nothing about satellite internet. They start at step one and go from there, which is reboot your modem.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
I had decent performance for the first couple of months after I signed up and then it went into the gutter. This is my speed this morning well away from prime time.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3172 Posts
  • 2040 Reply Likes
Voyager, what plan are you on, and how much data have you used this cycle?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
L25 and all data was gone by day 3. So I am perpetually on the Liberty pass. I only expect 1-5 Mbps, but 0.1 is not what I expect.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager...on the Liberty pass

Well, Viasat Satellite Internet Review, says, "Speeds will slow to between 1 and 5 Mbps if you use all of your priority data on the Liberty and Freedom plans..."

And they say, ".... based on objective analysis.....The information in our reviews could be different from what you find ...."
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Yep, aware of all of that. And your point it?
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
That he doesn't care that Viacrap gives many of us poor service after making claims of great service. It's your fault in his apologist mind.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

Someone needs to contact Viasat Satellite Internet Review  Their "review" is outdated, and does not reflect current conditions.

It's rather doubtful Viasat will set them straight
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
If you blow through your priority data in 3 days time, you are likely classified as a heavier user of Liberty Pass. Even you yourself state you are perpetually on Liberty Pass (if that doesn't qualify as a heavier user of Liberty Pass I don't know what would although Viasat has never quantified the definiton). See the Data Allowance Policy and Network Management Policy as to what can and does occur - try using your priority data more responsibly or buy more.

(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
I expected satellite to at least match $35/month DSL. It did for a couple months, but does no longer.

I will finish the contract and then return to DSL. If lousy service is the norm, I at least want to minimize its cost.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Thankfully, our church is only 1/2 mile away so we can go there to watch a movie now and then on high speed cable. And in 3-4 years we will have fiber through our electric cooperative and life will be grand.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO... blow through your priority data in 3 days time

But, Viasat Satellite Internet Review says, "Speeds will slow to between 1 and 5 Mbps if you use all of your priority data on the Liberty and Freedom plans..."

Please, bring them up to date...and also, tell them how "speeds upto" works.

PS: Good Read - "First, that starting in 2012, TWC began aggressively pushing customers to sign up for higher-priced internet-service subscriptions for ostensibly faster speeds — speeds the company knew it couldn’t deliver because its hardware was old and its infrastructure was decaying."
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I was speaking to Voyager not you. As Voyager, noted, you are generally pointless. Apparently Viasat should be held liable for what reviews.com states?

Maybe you should do that Jab, briong them up to date - you seem to be obsessed with that review.   Here's a bunch of good reads for you and feel free to provide them to reviews.com:

https://www.exede.com/legal/

Perhaps you should also inform all of the other "review" sites which typically state Viasat is one of the top satellite internet providers in the US - not all that difficult to achieve, but they're also in the bottom 2.

I stay within my priority data up until the last 3 days the month at worst and have no problems.

(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
FWIW, the feed back link (a mail to link) can be found on the bottom of each page at reviews.com - they're looking forward to hearing from you Jab.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Voyager, sounds like the mistakes are on your part, not Viasat's. Firstly, why in the world would you go with satellite if you can get DSL? Secondly, if you're perpetually on Liberty pass then maybe you need to upgrade your plan or change your usage habits.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Voyager, sounds like the mistakes are on your part, not Viasat's. Firstly, why in the world would you go with satellite if you can get DSL? Secondly, if you're perpetually on Liberty pass then maybe you need to upgrade your plan or change your usage habits.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Liberty pass only says 1-5 meg during the daytime. IF there is availability.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Liberty pass only says 1-5 meg during the daytime. IF there is availability.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77 Who said there was a mistake? I had very poor DSL via Frontier. I was at nearly the maximum distance for DSL (17,920’ from the hut) and my speeds were typically 1-3 Mbps with frequent loss of connection. I knew that satellite sucked based on past research and reports from those who had tried, but it seemed that things had gotten a little better so I decided to give it a try. It appeared it should be better than DSL during the priority data period and comparable during the Liberty pass period. This was true for nearly the first 3 months and then went into the gutter a couple of weeks ago with speeds under 0.5 Mbps nearly all the time now. Although, I don’t get up at 3 AM to check the “free” period speeds.

My usage habits are my business not yours. If that is your best comment, best just to keep quiet.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
"My usage habits are my business not yours". You're the one on this public forum complaining about Liberty pass speeds, not me.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
"My usage habits are my business not yours". You're the one on this public forum complaining about Liberty pass speeds, not me.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77. Why do you post twice each time? Does that make you feel twice as important?

• 3172 Posts
  • 2040 Reply Likes
Those double posts are a quirk in the Get Satisfaction system.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Could you repeat that? ;)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77. The old forum misses you also. Please go back to it. LOL.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
The old forum is gone. Replaced with this crappy one.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77 I see you missed my point. LOL.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
No, I got it. Meaning I ain't going anywhere.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
A new record. Almost back to dialup speeds.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

In Wildblue days, about all that could be done during primetime was basic web surfing.  Today, with bloated web pages, at your speeds, you could clean your house, wash dishes, brush your teeth, etc., and then the web page might appear.

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I bet Frontier doesn't seem so bad now, does it?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77, So you are saying that nothing has changed since the good old days. No, Frontier is bad and still seems bad. Viasat just is no better which was my hope. The good news is, the fiber deployment at my cooperative is under way so the solution is coming. I had simply hoped for something better than DSL in the intervening 2-3 years until they get to my house. Looks like this is no better solution at present.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I know Frontier is bad in your area, but it can't be as bad as what you're getting now.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@fmj77, It is hard too say. My Frontier DSL was horrendously bad, but Viasat is now horrendously bad also. They are bad in different ways so it is really hard to pick a clear loser performance-wise. DSL was a little faster on average as it was rarely below 0.5 Mbps, where Viasat of late is rarely above 0.5 during the evenings. Viasat is generally much faster on upload speed though so for sending things it is faster in general. And DSL had frequent disconnects which have been fairly rare with Viasat. So, overall I would say they are similar performance-wise.

The big difference is that DSL was $40/month compared to $75 for Viasat, so from a value perspective I have to give the nod to DSL. If your service is going to suck, it is better to have it suck for $40/month than $75/month. However, I read the Viasat contract before signing up and I had heard the stories for years about how bad satellite was, so I did take the chance with my eyes open. I just was hoping for a little better outcome. However, I will suffer through the remaining 20 months of my contract and then probably try Netbuddy as a number of folks in my area are having better experience with that than they have had with DSL, Satellite or a Verizon Jetpack.

The main thing is that unlike my experience the first 10 weeks or so with Viasat, I am no longer recommending that anyone in my area try it. I was telling people for the first two months that it was working fairly well as it was giving me Liberty pass speeds in the advertised 1-5 Mbps range. However, for the last month or so now, the speeds are consistently below 1 Mbps during prime time and I simply can’t recommend such lousy service to anyone (at least not anyone I like!).

So, Viasat has lost a proponent in this part of the country. Not that they care.

Just for grins, here is my performance tonight. Barely enough for email and light web browsing. This is a fair bit worse than was my typical evening DSL performance, disconnects aside.

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
It just keeps getting better.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
In case you think these are fluke numbers. Here is another.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Your Liberty Pass speeds are nowhere near 1-5Mbps as advertised by Viasat. Is this the case during non-primetime hours as well?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
They are more variable during non prime time, but still often below 1 Mbps.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sounds like you're on a pretty congested beam. Could be why your Liberty Pass speeds are in the toilet.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Frontier DSL

Rural telco lines can be cleaned up, but Frontier may or may not be required to do it, by your state regulators.

Local AT&T here, the techs sometimes flip lines used, and then somebody else gets bad phone service.

Sometimes, its a matter of inspecting and cleaning up all connection points...one by one.  If living in an area with lots of rain, I would suspect moisture is the issue.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Viasat is running better this morning than it has in a while. I am curious to see how long it holds up through the day.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Starting to slide. Probably back to 0.1 after 5:00.
Photo of Dan Pitisci

Dan Pitisci

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the largest plan available, Freedom Boost 25. — 150G. The modem is slow and gets slower everyday, however over the past few weeks it is offline several minutes at a time, multiple x’s a day.
The best that ViaSat will do for me is change plans and get a new modem/gateway. The new modem is considerably faster, and because of this they no longer offer the FREEDOM plan and the new plans are for minimal data.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
What plan are you on? we can take a deeper look as well if you email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
What should it matter what plan I am on? Free time is supposed to be unmetered and unrestricted.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
To help you out better it'll matter a great deal. We'll need to see if your plan
1. Has a free time to begin with (a lot don't)
2. If you're on a legacy plan that was impacted by a policy change a few months ago if not

You can email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com and we'll take a look for you and see what's going on. 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
As more people switch from the Freedom and Unlimited Plans to Liberty Plans on my beam (or as new customers come on board with Liberty Plans being offered once again), my free zone performance has dropped from 0300 - 0600. The good news is it's still usable and still free butmy performance has become better during normal hours although not free.

Presumably, those heavier data users (or new customers) are now leveraging or learning to leverage the free zone to meet their data needs - the free zones become peak usage periods just as they eventually did when everybody had a free zone on Exede initially from 0000 - 0500. The problem with free stuff is that you eventually run  out of it once folks discover it and take advantage of it.

People simply adjust to the new reality by modifying their usage patterns over time.
(Edited)
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 277 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
As one of the subs who had the Freedom 150GB - 12 Mbps plan, after the policy change on those 150GB plans. our speeds went in the tank, like from 8 Mbps to 19 Mbps before the change, to 0.8 Mbps to 4 Mbps, I decided that I would take the advice of Viasat and switch to the Liberty 50GB plan. Price was the same, just a reduction in overall priority data.

It was a good switch for us. Speeds immediately returned to those we were used to, and in the days following the switch, we were already on "the pass", but speeds were still better than what we were getting on the Freedom plan.

We are a family of 3, my husband and I plus our 10 year old daughter, who has a Chromebook. Once our new cycle started, we have been watching our data usage, but are keeping within budget and are quite pleased with the service.

I know there are many people who are upset with this data policy change, but for me, I know things can change, especially things we really have no control over. Things have happened in my life that have caused me to make major adjustments, and presented huge challenges to my everyday life, but I have overcome them, mostly because I can accept the fact that sometimes things change.

Am I totally pleased with how Viasat changed their data policy for the 150GB plans, definitely not. My hope is that in the future something better will come along, either from Viasat or another ISP.
Photo of BaeBae125524

BaeBae125524

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm out as soon as I can get out. I'm hopeful that another CHOICE comes in my area. They know they have most of us hostage because they have the monopoly. There plans are double the price of other carriers 

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Brad, I am glad to know policy is more important than the happiness of your customers.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 159 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Test run 4/1  13:00  Galveston Co, TX.   I think I found Stephen's magic beam.   

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Just think what it would be like if you clicked on the link and got that magic device that can double internet speeds & WiFi reach - 48.74 and 2.34 is but a click away. Just do it, you know you want to ;)
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2216 Posts
  • 1350 Reply Likes
I'm never offered that opportunity, darnit!  I feel left out.  :(  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2408 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Here is an article about how speeds work with the Liberty Plans and Liberty Pass
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@Diana. So you think this justifies speeds less than 0.1 Mbps?
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 324 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Diana, can you point me to the article that says how unlimited silver 150gb accounts now work please. 
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf   it's basically no more Data Caps instead it's what is called "data thresholds."    Once you go over 150g you will still have full access but your speeds will greatly decrease according to priority.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@skipbo2015  "according to priority,"

"FTC can punish US companies for unfair or deceptive practices," so is priority defined?

From hearsay conversations here, it appears those on the VS-1 150 gig plan get penalized more than those on smaller gig plans.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 324 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
It would seem to me this limiting is before packets get to the video destroyer and is compounding my ability to stream porn.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Folks its ALL about where you live, what plan you're on and which bean on which satellite you're on which will determine your speed levels once you've used all your data.   therefore the experience will be very different from person to person as to what they are doing online, not to mention the various device variables.   unless i have the exact same devices, the same plan, with the same number of family members online doing the exact same processes, living in your town on your satellite, then I cannot relate to your experience.  your negative experience pertains only to you.   It rarely means "Viasat sucks" like people want to generally say.  Satellite technology is what it is and in order to be affordable and profitable for all parties, everyone can't be on it all at the same time streaming Netflix.   You're the one who chooses to live in a rural area and so this is what it is.  Want the benefits of a city, like fiber and broadband at every home, then move to the city.  But moving to the sticks and then complaining that there aren't any shopping malls makes no sense.   The same is true with internet service.   Before, when you ran out of data, you immediately had no internet at all until your billing cycle - none.  Emails? forget it.  Need to log on real quick with the bank?  Nope.  It was a major problem and complaint.  So Viasat figured out a way for that NEVER to happen to ANYONE who has an unlimited plan - that's all it is.  Viasat isn't lying or hiding anything.  What did you think the numbers were for after each "Unlimited?"   Your data cap that guarantees your speed, of course.  Once that's up your speed is gone, but now you can at least CHECK YOUR DAMN EMAIL, right?  It's a major improvement and people just need to stop being so demanding, entitled and ignorant.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
There's still intelligent life on this planet!  Well said.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 324 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
skipbo2015, All things viasat will not tell you before you join. You wont be told the beam is oversold you have to look at plans and try and guess, will viasat suck for me? And many times plans offered do not stress to the new user how badly the beam will be on is oversold. And now viast has edited the terms of service for those on older plans. Making data paid for useless and redefining speeds.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
My Viasat was terrible, very few in here had worse service than me. Viasat aggressively markets in my area, Central Va. TV ads and roadside signs up the wazoo. They have no morals.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 481 Posts
  • 267 Reply Likes
Well Skip I really don't care what you think, I know Viasat over promised and my service is crap no matter what you say
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Spoken like a loyal Viasat employee.

The reality is the satellite internet is only useful if you have absolutely no other option. I thought Frontier DSL was as bad as could possibly be, but I apparently was wrong as Viasat appears to be at least as bad and possibly worse performance-wise and definitely is a poorer value given the much higher cost. Unfortunately, I currently have no other options so I am stuck.

I just have to bide my time until my co-op’s fiber comes through. The good news is that many RECs are now looking to deploy fiber. This will remove a lot of current satellite customers which will hopefully help out those who remain and truly have no other options.

My current speed is faster than the last several evenings, but still only about half of what my DSL speed used to be (it ran 1-1.5 Mbps during prime time). So, if you have DSL or wireless and you get prime time speeds above 0.5 Mbps, don’t subscribe to Viasat as you likely will be worse off.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Let me guess, some threads will be deep-six by some homer.

@ Stephen Rice said about one year ago, "You people are out of your mind for crying about the possibility of speeds slowing after using up your priority data on the new plans."

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I had Classic 10 for quite a few years and was pleased with it. Learned to deal with primetime congestion by making good use of the 5 hour free zone. There were several months when I went over 300GB because of the LNFZ. I've had the Freedom plan for a couple of years now and overall it works pretty well. There were a few hiccups after the new usage policy went into effect, but I think they've worked the kinks out. My neighbor just upgraded from the Classic plan to Unlimited Silver and he's happy with it so far. Maybe we're on under sold beams or maybe we just had good installers. Maybe both.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@fmj77

Classic 10 is still good in beam I use, but 10 gig bucket limits activity to web browsing with some video clips during normal hours.  Upgrading to a $100.00+ "unlimited" plan, with restricted video resolution is not a solution.  I'm using a 27" monitor...360p does not look good

I believe when traffic policy for VS-1's "150giggers" was reprogrammed, they appear to have SNAFU it, unless marching orders were given to penalize these folks.

I think its clear what happened...they shifted more bandwidth to aircraft in select beams. This was done some years ago also, but with VS-2, some VS-1 beams got relief from aircraft traffic, which shifted over to VS-2 usage in select areas.  Each VS-2 beam was planned for....VS is fully aware of aircraft flight paths.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Voyager, you should feel blessed. I could never get speeds as low as yours when I had Viasat, it would time out and not work at all. Once it dropped below 500kps most websites weren't even usable
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@Al. I’ve always been lucky! LOL.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Wow it seems like the definition of the word homer has changed. I seriously never meant using the word homer to be condescending. I just meant it as someone who rooted for the home team and never bucked the system. That is what it meant where I lived in a different land far away. Maybe Homer Simpson caused homer to now mean dumb ass.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Anyone notice negative posts getting removed like crazy in here? Viasat is trying to squash the bad press.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Jab, my neighbor was never able to get on Freedom during the brief time it was offered on our beam. Currently, he could only upgrade to an Unlimited plan from Classic. 10GB per month wasn't enough for him to get through the month and he was fed up with having to get up late night/early morning to use the LNFZ. He's happy with the 60GB bucket on his new Unlimited plan and figures it's worth the extra $50 a month.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1551 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
$10/10 GB. Wasnt it $10/1 GB back in the day? #progress
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
More like very little progress. But hey, it's unlimited.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1551 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
Sort of. You I can email :)

a_concerned_customer

• 12 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
How is it demanding or entitled to want the service you were offered when you signed a contract?
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@fmj77

The beam I use is fine, but 10gig is not enough for watching video clips I want to watch during normal hours.  Currently, I'm paying for two ISPs, one sat and one wireless, for about the same amount of money required for their current base "unlimited" plan, $100.00/month

Within six months, I'll either keep both, or drop sat.  With wireless, "they" can track you better...with Sat having changing IP addresses, "they" can't unless I leave them cookies to feast upon.
Photo of Brad Hudek

Brad Hudek

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
im Thinking about getting this. Does anybody know how the service is in Midland Texas? 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Brad Hudek

Their website is suggesting they have VS-1 and VS-2 services in your area, which logically, is false.  I would see if a COOP/REA offers this service in your area first, and if not, then call them, and ask what plans they have available.

Then, come back here, and ask your question to a Viasat employee about beam loading in your area.
Photo of Dan Pitisci

Dan Pitisci

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1551 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
All I will say is do your homework. If you are tech savvy, the answers are out there if you do research.

Viasat might be your best internet option. Then again it might not be. All depends on your location and what other internet options are available to you!
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Who would have guessed that a space age satellite system would barely better 30 year-old dial-up modem speed? LOL.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1539 Posts
  • 906 Reply Likes
IDK about that.  But I know there is certainly no Coshocton, PA.  There is only one Coshocton in the world, and it isn't in PA!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
So there are actually people who read those commercials. Who’d a thunk it?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2211 Posts
  • 1345 Reply Likes
Those ads eat data.  You should either use the ViaSat browser, or use an ad blocker with your own.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

I chat with someone who was part of the original Athena Visual Computing Group at MIT, and he is still on dialup.  He's retired and lives in a rural area in Nova Scotia, so dialup is the option he chooses.  He was a skilled programming geek, and he's using scripts/etc to fetch web text content, and when needed, he takes his laptop to town for download/etc.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
He's living the life, eh?  I started life programming in F77 on PDP-11s.  The good old days when 56 Kbaud was living the dream.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

I think his interests now, besides computer stuff, are "blacksmithing, gardening, chainsawing, cooking, mechanicing, welding, reading books like Niall Ferguson's book, _The Square & the Tower_., and looking up words like kayfabe, which he perceives as being currently of a well known US character.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Wow! Voyager you must really be "dialed" in to even get anything done with those speeds. I would just get timeouts and connection errors when less than a couple hundred kps. Satellite for me never acted like services with like speeds. I can remember streaming video, watching horse races with late 90's DSL that I believe was around 786 kps. If Viasat was running that speed I could not even stream 360 video. Videos on You Tube would never start.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@Jab, I admire him for doing things he likes and those are some great things to do.

@Al, I can read and send email fairly well, which is my highest priority, and browse the web, albeit slowly particularly on sites with lots of graphics. What I can’t do, which is a pain, is watch YouTube videos. I use them a lot for “how to” info on things like appliance repair and that is nearly impossible between noon and midnight. And watching Netflix, AcornTV or Hulu is pretty much out of the question until after 11 PM and before noon. Hulu is particularly bad as it handles the slow speeds more poorly than the others. Netflix and Acorn buffer a lot, but always keep going, albeit glacially. Hulu just seems to give up and quit.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Those You Tube videos sure can save a lot of time even for those of us who are getting up in the years and fixed most anything. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately since I dumped Viasat I haven't had any projects I have not done before. I do not enjoy getting up and down anymore so I like to watch the videos to remember what tools to bring when crawling under a vehicle or going up in an attic.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Voyager

FWIW, here's a former PIP (previously important person) who transformed his lifestyle at retirement into a "a seasonal Park Ranger/EMT in Yellowstone National Park" for past 14 years.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@Al, Absolutely. Living in a fairly rural area, I do most of my own vehicle and home maintenance and repairs, at least light repairs. YouTube is invaluable along with a few of the online parts supply houses.

@Jab, Great video. I had not seen that before and I watch quite a few TED talks, at least when I am somewhere with a decent internet connection. Fortunately, I travel a fair bit and have video capable internet access at least a few days a month at hotels and such. I haven’t taken a full-time job since retiring from the corporate world as did this man did, but I did join the boards of three electric companies and am the chairman of the board of the REC that serves my home. I have played a fairly key role in getting the cooperatives fiber project underway. It helped that I retired from the world’s foremost optical fiber maker.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
It's not uncommon for retired and non-retired PIPs to use Viasat since its not uncommon for them to live outside cities, in rural settings.

Apparently, Viasat was a blessing in terms of stimulating your drive to enrich your area with broadband.  I tried last year to get a rural Telco motivated to come inside AT&T's turf, where I live, but either the CSR did or did not inform the brass that they could do it.  I should have talked to the man and laid out it was legal to do, and they could receive FCC funding if they won the auction...which they used previously for their turf.

I know of another rural Telco that was clueless on this point...you can't lay POTs in another telco's turf, but you can lay fiber if the incumbent telco is not bidding in this last auction.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
@Jab. Viasat had nothing to do with my drive to get fiber. I build my lot house in 1999 and installed fiber inside the house. I have six fibers to almost every room in my house. Of course, it is still unterminated and dark as I have no need yet with only a tiny pipe coming in. Maybe some day before I die.

And Frontier was my provider for 20 years or so and was my main motivation.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 341 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
What speed you get is meaningless for anyone but your close neighbors. Wireless signal strength can vary greatly even in distances way less than a mile.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1562 Posts
  • 923 Reply Likes
Tagging 6+ month old post?

Okay then.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
I liked the old forum...I could block posters who aren't contributing to the forum.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 341 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Some people just live to be annoying.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 341 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Speaking of annoying why do you keep posting your speeds over and over again? They are meaningless to those that have poor service. Try getting some new material.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
Sooner or later priority data will run out and primetime will hit ;)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Speaking of annoying why do you keep posting your speeds over and over again?
It proves we're all "whinners"!  

Admiral Korbohuta

• 123 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Your posts are meaningless based on the screenshot you provided showing latency of 65ms. I call total BS on your part.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 341 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Go to testmy.net and link to the results. It is plain as day the results you are getting are not accurate. Your quoted upload speed has been the same every time, that doesn't happen.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Actually, they may be accurate.  Though Google's speed test gives erroneous latency results, I've found the actual speed results to be pretty accurate.   When I've compared it to testmy, they were pretty much the same at the given times.   

Still, testmy is what I mostly use, as it can be trusted.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
I agree they could be accurate, but context matter. How much data has been used in the month, time of day, location, plan, etc.

The fact if it is cloudy or not does not matter.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I'm still just trying to figure out the whole point of their constantly posting speed test results on multiple threads.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
Yes. You were right before you edited your post :)
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 341 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
The point is to brag about a magic connection and rub it in the face of those not so lucky.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
You were right before you edited your post :)
No doubt, but rather than have the powers that be close this thread, too, I figured I'd just delete the descriptives.   
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1560 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum. In the old forum we could banter about behind the scenes in private messages. Could also ignore posters!