Speed Good But Devices Are Slow

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
New to Viasat. We replaced CenturyLink 5mbps with Viasat 50. I do a Speedtest and it shows I have great speed and yet my devices say differently. All my devices are slower than when I had CenturyLink. Any ideas?
Photo of Dave Mortell

Dave Mortell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated.

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Which devices and how are you measuring that on those devices - are you aware that video streaming is throttled on those Unlimited Plans?

Run the fast.com speed test to see what your video streaming speeds are. You're also incurring a major latency hit on satellite typically around 600ms+.

Many here would have recommended staying with CenturyLink.
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
its not really unlimited lol good luck welcome to the party
Photo of Dave Mortell

Dave Mortell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Geez. I am running mostly iOS items. Including Apple TV.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Yea.  A lot of streaming with satellite internet is not recommended.  Some streaming, sure.  But if you are doing a lot with Apple TV, no. 

You need Century Link back. 
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 146 Reply Likes
I will say this though, I've talked to a few people this week who have DSL with ATT and they are having lots of problems streaming classes from home. Bad enough that they are having to go to friends or families homes with better connections to do school work.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Dave, you would have been better off staying with Century Link.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
I 2nd that. Should have stayed with Century Link. More data. Low latency. Marketing strikes again!

But to answer your question, the wifi router built-in to the Viasat modem is not known to be the most robust. Might want to try a 3rd party router.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
The latency takes some getting used to.  I chose keeping a 2.5 meg cell connection over an up to 12 meg satellite connection (until the red carrier offered 20).  I'd personally pick the 2.5 cell over 40 sat. for general use, slower downloads and all, web browsing and general use seems faster (compared to sat. systems in the area).  I'd have certainly stuck with the 5.  Unless you're on a "magic beam", wait until you hit your data threshold....
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
And being a cable internet user, that won't take long.

Hope nobody plays a first person shooter game either.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
The chances of Viasat being an improvement over 5mbps cable is probably less that 1%. Up to a $500 gamble (installation + cancellation) that isn't likely to pay-off. Did you tell the person who sold Viasat what you presently had?
Photo of Dave Mortell

Dave Mortell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did. Explained the entire issue and what speed I had with CenturyLink. That’s very frustrating to hear. And so far very unimpressed with Viasat.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Curious what all you were told.

I don't think your impressions are going to improve either.
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
welcome to the party better get used to it 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Was that a 3rd party reseller that took your order or did you go direct to Viasat?
(Edited)