Speed for me always seems slow

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Speed for me always seems slow. About 1.7Mbps download is about as good as it gets the past few money. If I go on liberty pass I'm at dial-up speed......forcing me to buy more data to get back up to about 1.7Mbps.
Photo of Don Davenport

Don Davenport

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hi Don, I'm sorry to hear about your connection issues. Please allow us to review your account and see what could be the problem that is resulting in the slow speeds. Send us your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com   Thank you. 
Photo of Ben Stone

Ben Stone

• 0 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Exede was good a couple of years ago. Now, it's a joke that it could even be called "high-speed". Over the last several month (about 10 months now) it seems to degrade little by little. I haven't had this slow of an internet connection since dial-up. I've been with Exede since this service was started and Wildblue before that. I suppose they just oversell and load up the bandwidth. Too bad, they aren't held responsible for this pitiful excuse for service. Living in the country, we just don't have many options and they all cost more than it should for the service you receive.
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1611 Posts
  • 935 Reply Likes

exede was built using the ViaSat-1 satellite and they had big dollar signs in their eyes at the time.  ViaSat-1 was going to be able to service 1 million residential customers, but then the commercial, industrial, and military contracts started coming in. They paid better and the residential sector could be squeezed to accommodate the demands of firm bandwidth contracts. Now at 680,000 residential customers, the word is out that exede can't handle what they've been selling and new residential customers only increased by 2% this past year.  With nearly flat sales, exede is opening up the "Freedom" plan in areas that aren't selling but have not saturated the local beams in a move to increase monetary returns of available bandwidth since by the time ViaSat-2 is operational,  these same ViaSat-1 beams still won't be at capacity, so it's simple business economics to pry the most money from what they have.  There are many beams that could handle more customers or allow a limited number of freedom plans to 'round-out' the capacity on those beams.  Since there are virtually no new customers, we might see limited opportunities to upgrade to the freedom plans across the country, but don't hold your breath.

(Edited)