Speed concerns

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Extremely slowww and unlimited is a joke.!!! For $150 a month. Prepare for speeds under 1mbps 99% of the time, even though you’re paying for 25. Unlimited is not unlimited. You’ll be slowed down so bad once capped , good luck checking emails. Year and a half of this, 100s of phone calls to customer support and at least 5 service visits. Nothing has changed.Once installed your locked into 2 year contract that will cost a fortune to terminate. This company is worse than AT&T (you know what I’m talking about) don’t care about their customers just as long as they con more subscribers into there trap.
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Totally agree since they slowed everyone down on the older plans even while on they're priority data ie freedom 150 gig plan etc , i'm getting .90 mbps about 90 kbps during primetime  even with priority data , Called in earlier the rep told me to switch to viasat2 which isn't even offered in my area , change plans to a liberty plan or disconnect my service altogether.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sounds right. You are in a location that has utilization, "unlimited" plans are not available, and Viasat-2 is not available.

I would think long and hard about giving up the Freedom plan, short of moving to a different non-satellite internet provider if you can.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Im under my 12mbps tonight and have to pay $50 uhg
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 372 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
I am on the  25 Mbps 150G plan.

A month ago i would see 40 plus during the day and 5 to 10 Mbps during the prime/congestion time, i was satisfied.  So an average of about 25 so all is good. About 2 weeks ago that all changed now i'm 5-10 during the day and < 2 during prime time. So an average of about 6 not  so good and not what my plan promised.

I checked to see if i had a firm ware update that might be have been installed to reduce my speeds but there hasn't been a change in that.  About 3 weeks ago i started seeing a a few TV adds for Viasat so it is probably the result of an advertising campaign that started before i recognized it and they have continued to sell services and have now pretty much saturated the beam.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel the County is installing fiber optic to all the rural folks and by summer i can be on a fiber optic, 100 Mbps no data limits program for about 90 dollars, so i can hang another 6 months.

PS:  I have never used more than about 95 GB in a month.

Remember they are around to sell sat internet to those that have no other options and they are doing that, the hype advertisement sucks because many think they will receive what they actually pay for and then they are very disappointed, they should really adopt a "Tell it like it is philosophy" but that is not going to happen.

If they were truthful and said 5 down and 1 up, 40 G a month of priority,  100 dollars a month and then put in place firmware to actually restrict/allow this, ie managed their network then that could be truthful and they could probably deliver that to all in the beam around the clock.

And weee folks could still complain but we would be getting what we were promised and V could say Hey you knew what you were getting when you signed up.

Just be truthful.
(Edited)
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I had the freedom plan for my first 2 years. Speed was decent then , about 15mbps sometimes 20. I could watch video at 480 pretty well Only issue was the data limit, which I believe was 50gig at that time. But at least I could still watch a video after the throttle at 240p.
This crap I have now is about as fast as my liberty plan at its throttle. Sometimes it’s so slow I can’t even use the Viasat phone service I have with them.
I remember the first commercials they brought out when they started saying unlimited now. They would say faster than cellular service. I laughed so hard when I heard that. Cellular blows this crap away. It’s like comparing a Moped to a Ferrari.
They still play that same commercial but have edited the cellular comment out of it now. I see about 10-15 Viasat commercials an hour in this area. Spend some of that money to Honoring your claims that it’s actually fast. Or from your commercial I quote, “super fast”. LMAO, yeah right!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Freedom plan has always been 150GB/month. And if you had the Freedom plan, why would you EVER give it up for another Viasat plan. Did you move?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 861 Posts
  • 520 Reply Likes
GE, as VeteranSatUser stated the Freedom Plan has always had a 150GB/month data cap. It has pretty much been the best plan ever offered by Viasat and you should not have given it up unless you had not other choice.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Freedom and Liberty are often confused for one another. Not only here, but elsewhere...
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Your right it was liberty
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 861 Posts
  • 520 Reply Likes
I'd stay with a Liberty plan instead of one of these so called "unlimited' plans. At least with Liberty you have a late night free zone which is truly unlimited during those hours.
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 38 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Yup
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
It's the best option if it's your only option
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Your right but who would have known they were lying on their commercials. It was brand new at the time. And from day one of them switching out my hardware I called andcomplained. And for first couple of months they kept saying, be patient it’s brand new got to work bugs out. It was all lies.
When they shipped the hardware and I switched it out from the modem I had for liberty. Out of box it didn’t work. I called and asked why is it not finding the Sat? I asked , does the dish need moved to a different Sat location? Both questions were a no. It uses same Sat. Hmmmm wonder why the liberty modem worked fine? So they sent a tech. He got it to connect, said the dish outside was a way off. I asked him if it was the same Sat.?
He said yes. Hmmm wonder why Liberty modem was just fine?? Then I asked why is this so slow now? He said, give it couple hours to update stuff and it be fine. Well 5 more tech visits over 6 months and now a year and a half later it’s still slow.
And all I can get out of them now is.... it’s UP TO 25 megs not Guaranteed. lol 1meg and below, 90% of the time, is not anywhere near 25meg Viasat!!!! The other 10% best I’ve seen is 3megs ( 2.8 to be exact).

If I can get 1 person out of every 100 to change their mind after seeing this post then it makes me feel just a little better. LOL
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Why not just cancel, being that you hate it so much.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Probably because they dont want to pay the $15/month to cancel, which might only be a few months if they had the service for awhile.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
That's what I was thinking.  He/she said, "Well 5 more tech visits over 6 months and now a year and a half later it’s still slow.", so I figured there can't be much left on the contract.  Even if there were six months left that still no more than a monthly payment.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
GE, if you are on an "unlimited " plan then it is not on the same satellite as your old Liberty plan. I would set up a service call and do not let the technician leave until you are satisfied that it is working correctly.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not necessarily fmj, it sounds like he got in on the unlimited plans offered to some Viasat-1 areas in the fall of 2017 before Viasat-2 went live. It simply involved a modem swap out to the WiFi modem that supported 25 Mbps and no installer visit - it was a self-install. All flavors had a 150 GB data usage threshold. Any existing unlimited plan acquired prior to February 2013, 2018 is likely Viasat-1.

I vaguely recall from one of the earnings calls that there were some 10,000 Viasat-1 subscribers that jumped on them (some are only now experiencing buyers remorse - location, location, location). Some may even have the WiFi issues that have been noted with the WiFi modem and if so have a solution at their fingertips.

Instead it's easier to just come in here and yell at the sky rather than seek a possible solution... 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
If he's on Viasat 1 and has crappy speeds all the time then there's a problem. I'm on the old Freedom Plan and during non-primetime hours I can routinely get speeds greater than 12Mbps.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Like I said... easier just to come in here and randomly yell at the sky rather than see if it's something that can be addressed ;)

Maybe it can, maybe it can't but yeah when I see "all the time since day 1" it suggests something fixable - knowing what to fix is the problem.
(Edited)
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Technicians have been here multiple times, do some adjustments and nothing changes.
They just tell me that they over sold the beam. They admit it will continue to happen and there is nothing they can do.
Sounds like pure greed and no quality service whatsoever.
Con people in with their lies on commercials to make more money with poor quality and thought.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Do not let the technician leave until it is working properly and you get good speeds. I'm in a pretty congested beam but there are certain times of the day and week that my speeds are faster than advertised on Viasat 1. Usually this is during the workweek when congestion on my beam is non existent or late night/early morning.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Do not let the technician leave until it is working properly and you get good speeds. I'm in a pretty congested beam but there are certain times of the day and week that my speeds are faster than advertised on Viasat 1. Usually this is during the workweek when congestion on my beam is non existent or late night/early morning.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Regardless, depending on location, there is nothing that can be done to improve performance. If the Installer is saying you are on a full beam, you probably are.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Still, there should be times that he can get good speeds right? It shouldn't be extremely slow all the time.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 372 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Unfortunately if you must have sat your just stuck and missing out on so much. I took my car one day truck the next for inspection and service both dealerships have Comcast , WiFi for customers. Speeds at both places waiting area was full in both yet I averaged 119 Mbps. Watched music concerts HD like a normal Directv quality movie. Downloaded 8 or 9 albums in seconds.

Sat allows you to reliably check email light surfing and buffering you tube. But at least you are connected.

They can’t overcome the physics, technology can only do so much. But they could be truthful.

Let’s face it, even if they were truthful I would have signed up, they were the only game in town then.

Rural power company is now installing fiber, late spring/summer for me.
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I wish our co-op electric would do that. But right now they are focusing on solar panels to help cut power cost. Or if they would just add a closer cell tower, that would be great. My cellular service is 10 times faster then this Sat even when I tether to devices. I have had to do it traveling to steam movies for kids. I’ve never seen a throttle on my cellular after reaching the “unlimited data” limit that my cellular has and I have a teenage daughter . Just wish cellular reached here, which I lose just a 1/4 mile away lol.
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Looks like I might have found the culprit? I am on grandfathered in on the silver unlimited plan... I was promised speeds up to 25mbps and 150 gigs of data a month... after I hit my data cap then I would be prioritized behind other customers during “peak” hours... that was the plan I signed up for... but it seems they have changed the rules of my plan after I signed up for it.. now my speeds are prioritized behind other customers at  “Peak”  times... Even before I have reached my data cap?.. Because I purchased my plan on Jan 10th 2018... Before February 13th 2018... I am shocked that they can do this to me? If you made deal then stick with it... it seems unfair to change the rules after the fact? Does anyone know if we have any recourse about this? Here is the link to their new adjusted agreement... https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf
here is my speed tonight... 9:30pm.. Sunday... and well under my data cap...

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Oh, wow.   That's new.  :(  
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Not good... any thoughts on what can be done for those of us that bought the plans prior to feb 13th? We are being throttled or pushed behind everyone else anytime it gets busy... just really doesn’t seem to be fair?
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Panahead, congestion is rarely a problem though? Right?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Yeah but, when most of those lower GB of priority data customers have exceeded their limits, we haven't and, we get the speed before them then. 

It's a way for Viasat to somewhat handle the cord cutter type demand for data when they can't provide that kind of bandwidth yet.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
With staggered billing cycles that’s not likely to ever happen. Nah, it’s a shady move that doesn’t benefit us in the least.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So Bev, given your usage and now that you don't really gave 150GB to use before slowing down, what's your take on this?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not that it matters, but my guess is that it's an attempt to alleviate the suffering of as many users on Viasat-1 as possible. ARPU remains at about $75 or so and I assume that includes revenue from lease fees and EasyCare. To be that low of an average would seem to imply that there are many more subscribers on Classic, Evolution, Liberty variations than the unlimited plans - even then some Liberty users will be taking a hit also. Last year at this time it was stated in the conference call that some 40,000 had adopted the unlimited plans during what was described as a test trial on Viasat-1. Freedom subscribers are probably not a great percentage. Remember subscriber count was at 577K for Viasat-1 and the older birds at that timeOverall it appears to me that this latest strategy is to favor those who aren't necessarily heavy bandwidth users - probably the majority of Viasat's subscriber base.

But that's just opinion and everybody know what those are like... and that's what the update Network Management Policy implies to me, and I can get statistics to say just about anything I want them to ;) 
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
I’d be inclined to agree, but as other forum users have pointed out, some beams that were closed to new subscribers have been reopened. Therefore the problem of traffic, congestion, network management issues, or however anyone might want to describe too little bandwidth for too much demand....only gets exacerbated more.

Fixes nothing. Long term will create more problems. The only thing that changes is ViaSat’s quarterly numbers for one or two quarters. Rinse and repeat with something else.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Agreed, it freed some bandwidth for additional subscribers while at it - it's a shell game to buy time while waiting for the new bird(s). It buys some temporary relief for some, I'm one of those - keeping me "happy" for a few months is better than not at all. Not that there's anything wrong with any of it... it's their nickel, I always have an option I have a pen and I have a phone. Unlimited was viewed and greeted with enthusiasm, at least until reality set in and  created more long term problems too.

Appears to me they just blinked and throw in the towel on Viasat-1 for Unlimited and Freedom - finally recognizing there isn't enough bandwidth for those. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Lol. Can’t wait to exercise mine. Thinking long and hard about just disconnecting now. I use it so little at this point, but my more rational half says just wait. The day I cancel prematurely will be the day I need to make a call and have to drive three miles to do so without it.

Interesting you see it as improving your speeds. Have you noticed a stark difference? I’m not sure how much slower I can go in the evenings. I suppose mine is slower now in the mornings, but I’m not around much to be bothered by it.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yes, on Liberty I've seen a dramatic difference while under Priority Data at all times (but that's relative to past performance. Even on Liberty Pass things appear better but I don't have much experience to go on there - since I rarely hit Liberty Pass (opting for judicious Free Zone use).

I can cancel at any time, can live with internet or live without it at this point. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Maybe Rice had it right all this time.....shudders uncontrollably at the thought.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Oh he was right or at least closer to the truth... and I should correct that to read " At home, can live with internet or live without it at this point" and dramatic should probably read measurable.

Maybe I'll experiment with Liberty Pass on Thursday my last day of the cycle if I can find something useful to put me into Liberty Pass - where are all those cat videos??

(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
My options are opening more and more for internet service. I have Viasat and Verizon both at the moment and just this week AT@T just put up a tower in my line of site. A company igo put up a tower to just recently that I can get internet if I want. Times are changing around my area of the mountains that just 2 years ago all I had was Viasat or or Hughes for an option.

In a couple to a few years with these other major companies putting up gigabit low orbit satellites makes me wonder if this will open new change to what Viasat will offer in the plans? If all goes well with the low orbit birds offering gigabit speed Viasat will take a hit i"m sure on there residential side of income. It is a interesting time to see what unfolds. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
In two years or so from now ViaSat will not be in the residential markets. Government, military, airlines, etc.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
They may lose out on those to Bradley, i'm sure the military could use gigabit internet to with low latency. Like I said interesting time to be living in to see how it turns out. 
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I currently only have the 2 options... Viasat or Hughes... no cell service where I am... my sppeds at night are comparable to dial up... in fact last night .56mbps would have been faster than what i was getting from Viasat... But like terry says I am waiting it out to see what is going to happen with the low flying birds... and the next Viasat bird... Does anyone know what the launch date is for that? and would it relaive some of our congestion? Bev seems to be getting much better spoeeds at time congested times? I would be happy with 3mbps when it is congested..
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Next satellite scheduled for 2020.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I’m confused. Did someone say I was right about something ?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
It wasn’t Ramen noodles.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I had onion rings for breakfast.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1301 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
With your diet, you’re either going to cost Medicaid a lot of money or save Social Security some money.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I could see Viasat getting out of the residential satellite internet business. I could see Hughesnet buying the assets (similar to the Sirius/XM merger).

I believe we are quickly approaching a time it would not be economically viable for Viasat to support residential internet and instead focus on commercial and military applications.

When that happens, Stephen will have to be a Hughesnet shill and fanboy, or go back to DSL.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2791 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
I'll use my cell phone exclusively as a hot spot before I switch back to AT&T DSL.  

I'm still waiting to hear how Hughesnet is working out for Fred G Sanford.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Last I heard he was enjoying Champipple during prime time hours while watching all the daikaiju films he has on his Plex server now, thanks to HughesNet Gen5 and Playon Cloud.
(Edited)
Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hmmm... I was thinking.... What if I got a Verizon sim card on their new unlimitied plan... https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/  ($65 a month with auto pay) activate it on a Verizon hotspot then put it in a Netgear LB2120...https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Modem-Gigabit-Ethernet-Ports/dp/B01MQRHQYT Can I hook up a really good directional antenna to the Netgear? Then connect that up via ethernet cable to my router? My place has a couple of "out buildings" ..workshop... guest cabin.. main cabin... etc.. and i need to be able to run ethernet cables... the Netgear has 2 ethernet ports out.. what type of antenna would work with the netgear LB2120? or is there another device that might be better? thoughts?
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@pan , Yes you can hook up two yagi single cable antennas to that , I'd mount them in a v position on top of your roof or side of your house and aim them at the nearest tower and run a ethernet cable from your hotspot to your router to broadcast wifi everywhere leaving the other ethernet port on your hotspot free 
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
What I get 99% of the time

Photo of panahead

panahead

• 140 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Looks like I am doing a little better
Photo of G E

G E

• 50 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
From the Email I got re: changes to plans, Viasat will wave early termination fees for anyone on Unlimited Plans wishing to leave.  

What are your options?

• Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.
  • Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account at https://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice. 
  • We would hate to see you go, but if you would like to disconnect your service with Viasat, we will waive any Early Termination Fees remaining under your Minimum Service Term. Please remember to return your equipment to avoid additional fees. Please call us at 844-715-4412 between 6am–9pm MST Monday - Friday or 7am-8pm MST Saturday - Sunday and we will ship you a box (with prepaid return shipping) to collect your equipment. 

Sincerely, 

Viasat Internet