Speed Concerns

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Why does all the customer service reps LIE about the speeds you get this internet company is a complete scam

WORST
Photo of jaqwan

jaqwan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • ANGRY

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
customer service reps
is undefined or not identified.

Viasat is not a complete scam.  People have unreasonable expectations and do not understand the terms and conditions of the service.  Satellite Internet is a shared resource of a finite amount of product to be shared among the many thousands of users.  The more people online at a given time, the less per user is available.  The busiest times are in the evening when the most people want to use the Internet so a slowdown is to be expected and not unreasonable to experience.

If you have a problem with your service, send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com describing what you feel is wrong and include your account number and contact information.

Photo of Kelcey O'Neill

Kelcey O'Neill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I intend to call and cancel my new account. My rep told me that I could get 20-25 mbps and UNLIMITED data. Now I'm told there is no unlimited data plan. That's it for me, I don't like being lied to! I'm going back to Hughesnet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
If you're in Northern California you should probably avoid HughesNet, as you're most likely not going to get their advertised speeds.

Remember, the grass isn't always greener.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Viasat's "unlimited" plans are just as good or better than Hughesnet's "unlimited" plans.

The reality is neither plan gives you "unlimited" data in the sense people think. There are restrictions once a certain amount of data is used. However, Viasat at least offers more "priority" data than Hughesnet will provide.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2132 Posts
  • 1054 Reply Likes
Your dealer probably said you can cancel within 30 days with no fee.
Photo of Kelcey O'Neill

Kelcey O'Neill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I didn't mean to imply that I was blaming Viasat for the problem with speed and data. That lies totally on the rep.  He told me that Viasat 2 would have an unlimited plan and yes VeteranSatUser I know that supposedly means that after my data is  used that I get slower speeds. I wouldn't have a problem with that but as I carefully questioned him about the situation he assured me that in this case it meant actual unlimited data. If not I would never have considered Viasat.
GabeU I actually live in NE Texas and I get the 20-25 Mbps that I have with my Hughesnet plan.  I pay $100 for 50Gb of data and the "free zone" is 2am to 8am. As I said, if I had not been promised unlimited data, I would not have taken the deal.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
There is no such thing as "unlimited" data plans for satellite internet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
There is no such thing as "unlimited" data plans for satellite internet.
That all depends on how you look at it.  Unlimited, as in high speed, or plan speed, data?  No.  Unlimited, as in never being cut off?  Yes. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
I pay $100 for 50Gb of data and the "free zone" is 2am to 8am. 
Well, the Bonus Zone is limited to 50GB.  Only the older legacy plans have/had the "Download Zone", or free zone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2132 Posts
  • 1054 Reply Likes
That 50 gb bonus zone is a joke. I used 280 gb last month on a Liberty 12 plan thanks to Viasat's truly unlimited free zone. I never would have been able to have done that on a Hughesnet plan.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
It's fine for me.  I've never used more than 30GB of data, combined, in any given month.  Then again, I don't try to do more than the data in my plan allows and then whine about it later like so many do.  "I ran out of data and blah blah blah."  Well, whose fault is that?  No one told you to try to get a gallon and a half of milk out of a gallon jug.  If TV is that important, get sat TV.  People forget the old adage, "Live within your means."  SMH.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Your unlimited definition is a bit broad Gabe.  Under your definition, satellite internet has always offered unlimited data.  That is a bit of a stretch...lol. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
As I said, it depends on how you look at it.  And I could do plenty with the FAP speeds given, which are now much higher.  Prior FAP speeds were barely enough to get to the page to use a token.  Present FAP speeds allow some to stream.   
Photo of Kelcey O'Neill

Kelcey O'Neill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Stephen Rice and after the 12g was gone you either had to use the free zone or get throttled back to 1-5 mbps, right? Same deal on Hughesnet, although the free zone is limited, after priority data is gone you can keep going but at slower speeds. But while I still have priority data my speed is  20-25 down, which I actually get here in NE Texas. Not the 12 down the liberty plan has.

I'm not gonna argue points with you guys, suffice to say I wouldn't have signed up for this if I hadn't been lied to. And no unlimited internet plans? someone should tell that to the service reps.

I'm done here, going to have my dinner now ya'll. Have a good evening.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 406 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
RE: GabeU, suggests, "it depends on how you look at it."

Yeah...it seems ViaSpeak is a bit optimistic:-)

Think you're stuck with slow internet service and don't have a better choice? Viasat high-speed internet, formally Exede Internet, is available just about anywhere in the United States. Viasat provides great internet wherever you are. So go ahead — stream music and HD video. Video-chat with family. Email large files. Download stuff fast. Powerful satellite internet from Viasat is available today.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
@Kelcey O'Neill oh and if you didnt know your stuck in a 2 year contract with viasat :3 and if you decide to cancel your account... then good luck paying the 300$ some dollars and you will have to pay about 15$ each month until the 2 year contract is up :3 also... they will send ya a box if you do decide to cancel... they will want the, satellite, tria, modem, and all that fun stuff :3 so good luck my dude!!! :3
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

I must be getting old.  About 6 months ago I would have had a completely different story to tell Kelcey O'Neill .  I must be mellowing or I've been around too many nice people lately and it's rubbing off on me.

Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
@>@ awwwwww thats lovely :3 also... you need to be around more people :3 mostly around me :3 or am i rubbing the niceness off to you @>@ if so i wonder how *deku thinks*
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

I'm getting it from somewhere.... and you are the prime suspect.  

if so i wonder how *deku thinks*
Let's see.....right now she's thinking..... "Do I want sprinkles on top or not??"

<:o)

Also...  I've searched Google quite thoroughly and can't find out what @>@ means.  

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
I think it's eyes.  
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
lolza!!! XD well to be honest... this @>@ is basically my confused/suprised/grossed-out or some random things i find into those things :3

OH YEAH!!!! CAN I HAVE SOME SPRINKLES ON TOP DANK CHU :3
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

It's a brand new bottle with a shaker-top so go for it  :o)

Photo of Kelcey O'Neill

Kelcey O'Neill

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Deku, not a dude here. Just a woman who's very angry with a skinny little sales rep that either didn't not know his job well enough, or just didn't care if he had to lie to get his sales up.
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 38 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Why are you guys so quick to berate and ridicule folks that seem to have a problem with Via Sat. I find it hard to believe that the ViaSat moderators just sit there and let you talk to there customers like you do. If I was just trolling the forum sites to see if I wanted to get Viasat service and saw your responses it would be enough to keep me away.
Mrs O’Neill I have no doubt you were lead to believe that it was truly unlimited. I have to apologize all the time for our reps telling our customers that our tv dish is a new dish that doesn’t go out in the rain or there getting wireless boxes when there not and so on. The problem is what I call the Wells Fargo Syndrome. These reps are pushed so hard to meet sales numbers the only way they can do it is to tell customers what every it takes to get it sold. Just like Wells Fargo reps signing millions of fake credit card accounts to meet quota. Just like my company Viasat knows it happens but it’s a acceptable risk. The bottom line is revenue. Having said this I still think Viasat would be a better over all service than Hughes. Mabye one off the Viasat moderators can help you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I agree. There are a couple people on here that go way over the top and are rude and obnoxious to some posters.

I also agree, people in sales will say about anything to land the sale. That isn't just people selling Viasat, but a lot of companies have sales people do that.

The old forum had an "ignore" button that is badly needed on a site like this.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
I couldn't agree more.  It's one thing I noticed about this site.  A LOT more is allowed than should be on a product support community.  Disagreeing is one thing, but the way some people disagree is another.  It's not very professional.  

On the Community I'm normally on that sort of thing is not tolerated.  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Jtwes

Why are you guys so quick to berate and ridicule folks that seem to have a problem with Via Sat. I find it hard to believe that the ViaSat moderators just sit there and let you talk to there customers like you do.

Forum???  Here I thought we were writing scripts for the New He-Haw show.

How we respond to people showing up here with concerns about their service depends entirely on how they present themselves.   The OP showed up calling Viasat "a complete scam" and was met by me explaining how this service works.  There was no ridicule, just facts.  I instructed that person to send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com to bring their issues to the attention of Viasat.

Kelcey O'Neill came to tell us she had been lied to by a sales person about the quantity of data she was signing up for.  Deku was informative telling her that there was a early termination charge and that a box would be sent for the return of the Viasat equipment and what equipment Viasat will want returned.  Again, no ridicule, just facts.  GabeU was considerate enough to give a tip that HughesNet doesn't work well in Northern California.  Kelcey O'Neill had the decency to say that she is not angry with Viasat and actually has good speeds while within her priority data and her anger is not towards Viasat but rather the installer that lied to her (+10 points to Kelcey O'Neill).

Now we are hearing from you that customers are being berated and ridiculed.  Perhaps I missed something here that you noticed.  Do be so kind as to point that out to me because I see every complaining person has been treated with the utmost respect. 

Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser i am so sorry if imma not much help ;-; but i try to be though ;-; but imma not trying to be rude or obnoxious at all ;-; imma just going with the flow :3 BUT!!! also sometimes the flow needs to be stopped also :3

and @GabeU i agree with ya on that one :3 so imma so sorry if ive been rude and obnoxious also ;-; me am very so sorry to the forums and such ;-;
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser i am so sorry if imma not much help ;-; but i try to be though ;-; but imma not trying to be rude or obnoxious at all ;-; imma just going with the flow :3 BUT!!! also sometimes the flow needs to be stopped also :3

and @GabeU i agree with ya on that one :3 so imma so sorry if ive been rude and obnoxious also ;-; me am very so sorry to the forums and such ;-;
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

You get a double-like.

I think you were very helpful

Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
oh why thank you :3
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
No, you're alright, Deku. I haven't seen you be rude or obnoxious.  And I agree with Judge and Jury, to a certain extent.  A lot of it does have to do with how someone presents themselves when they post.  I still do think that there are times when posts and/or replies go over the line, though, and I'm surprised that many of those posts and/or replies are allowed to remain.  
(Edited)
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
oh ok thanks gabeU :3 yeah... i agree... they need to be deleted or something :/ 
Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 38 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Judge and Jury
I think everybody has read enough post and replies to know if what I’m saying is true or not. I’m sure you and others have helped a lot of people. If we all went around with the attitude that we were going to give it back the way we got it what kind of world would that be ? Or are we already living in that world?? Just something to consider ..
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

I've never "blind-sided" anybody in my life but there are those who think nothing of coming here to do that to Viasat.  I aim to balance the table and that can mean a response to those people that shows my dis-approval for their attack without giving Viasat an opportunity to remedy their problem that they were so aggressive about bringing to the public's attention.  It's a fact of life that it is unwise to start a war if breaking-even is the best outcome one can expect.  People need to think about that before coming here to blast Viasat.  I don't attack in Viasat's favor, I defend and seek an over-whelming victory in the process.  Fools come here and start a war, one they think will be over with their one shot, and are surprised someone will actually put them in their place by defending Viasat.

Yes, we have been living in that world, ever since Cain slew Able.

Photo of Jtwes

Jtwes

• 38 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes, we have been living in that world, ever since Cain slew Able.

Agree with a Triple Like
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Abel.  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
Yup....  "Abel"  Gotta love auto-correct that doesn't know beans about what we're saying.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 294 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
We had a bad storm last night, hellacious winds, torrential rain etc.  So my props go out to both Viasat and DTV for the installers and the hardware that they use to keep the Dish oriented and secure.  Naturally i lost internet for a short time but not that long and this mornings speed 0748 AM, 18.2 down, fast 3.6.