Specific question for Beam 329 users and on the Liberty 12 MBPS plans

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • In Progress
Since Viasat has recently strangled those on Unlimited plans and the Freedom plan (my current plan), I would like to know from those on this beam (central VA) and on the 12 MBPS Liberty plans, what are your response times during the week, let's say 4p to midnight, and the weekends. Viasat tells us the response times are great. Are they?

Viasat Brad - question. In my area, Liberty 12 plans are offered, up to 50 GB. Nothing higher than 12 MBPS. Do you know if these plans are still on Viasat 1?  The notice I got said if I upgrade, it will be another 2 yr agreement, is that for one of these plans or is the 2 yr agreement if I move to Viasat 2 with new equipment?  Or, is the offer for 12 MBPS on Viasat 2??  It would be truly offensive if it is.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Beam 329 Liberty 12, 12 Mbps with old stand alone modem, Free Zone 3 - 6 am:

• Weekdays: 3:00 am - 4:00 pm typically well above 12 Mbps at around 16 Mbps with spurts to 18 - 19 Mbps.
  • Weekdays: 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm typically just about 12 Mbps or slightly under.
  • Weekdays: 7:00 pm and later has been dropping down into the 7 - 9 Mbps range as the evening wears on. Some occasionally much lower during that time frame.
  • Weekends: so far about the same
  • No experience with Liberty pass yet but planning to blow past the cap on the final 2 days of my cycle to see what's going on there - particularly entry to and exit from the free zone.
All tests are manual, testmy. download file size of 13 MB and taken with no other internet activities from other devices. Upload results pretty consistent at 3 Mbps with a test file size of 3 Mbps. All tests using a wired (ethernet) connection through my own router. I usually also compare my router's real time throughput rate with the testmy results when running and they are in general agreement with one another.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 188 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
My tests today are much better than the last two weeks on Liberty pass. Speeds today have been over 6mbps dwn then back to 0.25mbps. It is like someone turning a switch on and off. Is this cause of the deproteinization kicking in and out or something else going on? I'm not complaining on what I'm getting I love my Liberty plan just cause of the free zone. Look forward to see what you get during Liberty pass Casual Observer. I'm in SW Va so I think I'm on the same beam as you I would have to check and see.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3519 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
If a new modem is required/upgrade it's ViaSat-2. If you want to shoot an email to me I'll look for you. It depends on how big of a pile I need to get through but I'll check
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Hey Brad, I would happy to email or PM you but I don't see a way to do that.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2235 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse,

You can view my Liberty plan experience since February 11, 2019 on 329 at:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/The%20Walrus

I've tried to run tests at various times throughout the day. At 10:00 AM today (2/ 22/2019), I hit Liberty Pass and will run some additional tests between now and my reset on 2/25 to give you an idea of performance during primetime and over the weekend. 

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Casual Observer - thank you for the stats. I don't see the difference is that great, especially late afternoon / evening. It looks like everyone on an overloaded beam is having some issues.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2231 Posts
  • 1360 Reply Likes
I have the 20/50 Gen5 plan.  All Gen5 plans offer the same speeds, though, like with ViaSat, it all depends on location.  My beam gets great speeds, while the one next to mine might be the opposite.  These are my speeds...

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Edit:  I should add that once in a while I'll start Networx and have it running during a test or two in order to verify the results given to me by testmy.  They always match.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Where are you located Gabe? 

Those are nice speeds.  And it is my understanding, unlike Viasat, you can turn off the video resolution downgrader, correct?
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 294 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Gabe - Where are you located and do you know how Viasat is in your area?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2231 Posts
  • 1360 Reply Likes
Western NY State, about 25 miles south of Buffalo.  And yep, we can turn the Video Data Saver off so there is no restriction on videos, which are normally restricted to about 480p when it's on, though I've sometimes been able to watch Youtube videos in 720p while it's on.  

I'm not sure how ViaSat is in my area.  For my zip code the best available plan is Gold 30, which is $150 after three months.  I pay $86.59 per month, and that includes the equipment lease fee and taxes.