Sparrow Browser

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
Can we keep using Sparrow if we like??? It worked better with my PC Matic

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Warning!: a brand new malware attack took a swipe at my browser (but failed)..
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3081 Posts
  • 1085 Reply Likes
Hi Cindy

DavidBrowserGuy will probably weigh in but we've just switched it officially to the Viasat Browser. It'll work just like Sparrow did.
Photo of Cindy Berryman King Orloff

Cindy Berryman King Orloff

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I never had the issue of my PC Matic with Sparrow but it won't let me use the new web browser now
(Edited)
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 90 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Cindy (post originator) - We have been unable to reproduce the issue that you are seeing with PC Matic.  Note that you may have to add both the Viasat Browser and the Viasat Browser Updater to the white list.  Could you please send an email to browser@viasat.com so that we may follow-up with you directly. 

Also, PC Matic may not be the best choice when using the Viasat Browser as it a)adds an additional ad blocker that will slow down the browsing; the uBlock Origin blocker that is bundled with the Viasat Browser is better in that it is fast and also blocks malware and protects privacy.  Additionally, PC Matic changes browser settings (e.g., number of connections); Viasat Browser already includes the appropriate optimization settings and PC Matic may be overwriting them.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
hi David. Does your web browser have enough security in it to where I don't need to pay for extra like PC Matic?
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 90 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Hi Cindy,
uBlock Origin, which is bundled with the Viasat Browser, blocks malware that you may run into while browsing, but you could still get malware via email or other avenues.  So, it is good to have a PC-level security solution as well.  The good thing about PC Matic is that it only allows programs that are on its whitelist to execute.  The bad thing about PC Matic is that it only allows programs that are on its whitelist to execute (and it installs its own ad blocker and changes browser settings, affecting Viasat Browser performance). 

I'm not an expert in this area - there are lots of options out there.  I found these PC Magazine articles to be useful: https://www.pcmag.com/review/342792/pc-pitstop-pc-matic-with-super-shield and https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp.  There are advantages to selecting a US-based vendor as this article about the Russian Kaspersky Labs highlights: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/technology/kaspersky-lab-israel-russia-hacking.html.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2774 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Cindy, I have been using the Windows Defender antivirus software for protection for several years. It is free and worksvery well.

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
And is that the one that comes on the computers right?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2774 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Yes, it is part of the Windows 10 system

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you Steve!
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 145 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
IMO if you have windows 10's security features enabled (windows defender) and uBlock, adblock, etc. along with a router (hardware firewall) then you don't need PC Matic. In fact PC Matic does not get favorable reviews.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Okay thank you all. Deleting PC Matic from some of my computers now. 
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
So I don't need to buy any security/spyware/malware virus protection out there for my computers?
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Nope, Windows defender is fine.

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you much!
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 809 Posts
  • 406 Reply Likes
One of the browser team will probably respond shortly, but if there's a chrome addon, it should work with the Viasat Browser.