Some ISPs are announcing rate hikes for 2018, due to the end of Net Neutrality. How about Viasat?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Photo of Fritz Clapp

Fritz Clapp

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3122 Posts
  • 1101 Reply Likes
Hi Fritz

At this time we have not issued any plans to change our pricing. Prices and plans are subject to change. That's pretty true across the board with every provider but we haven't changed pricing in 3 years or more.  Different plans will naturally cost more or less depending on what you do.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3495 Posts
  • 2029 Reply Likes
Is it really due to Net Neutrality or just more hysteria so we will blame everything under the sun because it was repealed.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2243 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
AT&T managed to increase their prices on me every year even when net neutrality existed. Don't believe the lies.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3495 Posts
  • 2029 Reply Likes
Exactly. Prices rise. Directv, phone, Netflix, etc. It happens!
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
While it is easy to blame everything on net neutrality right now, it should be noted that net neutrality has been vote on to repeal it, but it hasn't actually taken effect, and won't for some time. There are the lawsuits to filter through the courts, and Congress to take any action on it if it wishes. Stephen Rice and VeteranSatUser are right on about prices increasing, as they typically do every year.

Enjoy your holidays, Merry Christmas, and remember, be tolerant about those slow speeds today as those new devices are introduced to the internet today, gobbling up terabytes of data as they get up to speed.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 337 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
It was very fast at 5 am this morning !   I saw 17 meg on LNFZ.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
Central New York, Beam 314, is doing very well so far. Only getting 14.4 Mbps on the 12 Mbps Freedom plan at 9:45 this morning. This is not a very congested beam thus far.
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
The companies that are having the rate hikes still charge far lower than Viasat. With all the customer losses they are trying to stop they are going to avoid doing anything that will increase them. Actually since they have a small window for success in their expansion they are going to have to lower their prices so they can get more subs.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2243 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
Viasat is cheaper for me than AT&T. Price one of the reasons I switched. AT&T went up to $69 a month. Viasat charges me $60.99 a month for Liberty 12. I am locked in for the next 3 year's and I have almost 1 TB of on demand video.
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 313 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I reviewed plans the other day that were available in my area and my plan actually had a significant decrease in cost.  I haven't been able to confirm it but after i submitted to change my plan it came back as request pending and then would not show any plans just pending.  Hopefully it took affect.

If so, even tho i have no contract i will be hanging around for some time to come.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3122 Posts
  • 1101 Reply Likes
Did it require the new modem? If so that would be why. It won't go into effect until that arrives