Solution to data caps is 2 accounts? Besides costs why not?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am ready to order a second account with Unlimted Silver so I can double my usage. I assume I will have to have 2 dishes and 2 modems. Besides the cost is there any issue?

Any chance I can have 2 accounts with one dish and modem or 1 dish and 2 modems?  
Photo of John Horton

John Horton

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 441 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
Is that cheaper than buying extra data to double your allocation?
Photo of John Horton

John Horton

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think that is the cheapest solution. Unlimited Silver is the best plan offered for my area. I think the only upgrade is double Silver.

That is what I am really asking ... Is there a better way? 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Depends what other internet you can get. Hughesnet? Wireless? Why put all your eggs in one basket?

To answer your question, yes, two dishes and two modems. Have you looked into a business plan? It might be cheaper.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Do you have any cell coverage in your area?  If you can get a Verizon signal, the Prepaid Jetpack plan is a good option.  $70 a month Unlimited data.  Kind of tricky to set up (make sure you are signing up for the correct plan)!  There have been several discussions on here.
Photo of John Horton

John Horton

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUservet as far as I can tell 2 accounts is the most economical thing I can do. Seems like the Business accounts are more a lot more expensive. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Depends what the Silver plan costs at your location.

What exactly do you expect to accomplish with two "unlimited" plans? I mean if you already have unlimited data, why do you need more unlimited data :).
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@VetSat, he probably wants more priority data. We know it isn't truly unlimited before you get slowed down.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
It is hard to express sarcasm with the written word :).
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Gotcha. I figured you said it tongue in cheek, but I wasn't sure.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Just pointing out the absurdity of advertising plans as "unlimited".

They are so unlimited, you need two plans to be able to have useful internet if you use 100GB or so per month.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2406 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Hello John, VeternSatUser is correct. It will require two accounts with two satellite dishes and a modem for each. 
Photo of Albert Davis

Albert Davis

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I've used 151 gb still streaming dtvapp
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
So does this mean you're now calling for an end to the "Class Action lawsuit against Viasat for contract fraud"? Or did you switch to Verizon/other and it's still on?

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/contract-fraud

(Edited)