Solution - downloading podcasts during free zone

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I switched plans and now my free zone ends at 6AM rather than 8AM. In the past I was able to download podcasts first thing in the morning and still hit the free zone, but I'm not getting up that early to save data. I looked around and haven't found a podcast client that will allow scheduling by time of day. (What most call a "scheduler" is how often they check for updates, not what time.) But I did find a solution - gpodder.

By itself, gpodder does not schedule by time. However, when you download gpodder you get a command line version called gpo. You can schedule gpo using the Windows task scheduler. gpo only takes a single command on the command line and you need two commands - update and download, so you will need to write a short batch file (script) to run gpo with these two commands.

If you're energy conscious and don't want to leave your computer on all night, use Wake On Standby. This will wake your computer from sleep or even from hibernate and run a task. In fact, you can use this to start just about anything you like to run during the free zone.
Photo of NewMexicoMountains

NewMexicoMountains

• 67 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Good info!
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller