So I'm thinking of cancelling my satellite TV and getting this for internet and then getting hulu live TV. Will this work for that?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Photo of Holly Babbitt

Holly Babbitt

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 753 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
It will likely work until you hit your data cap. If you are streaming TV much, you will use 10 GB a day pretty easily. So, divide the data cap for whatever plan you are looking at by 10 and that is about how many days each month you may be able to stream. The rest of the month will have speeds in the 0 to, at best, 5 Mbps which makes streaming a very difficult process.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1435 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Without an approximate location to determine beam, it’s impossible to know. Some beams will stream while having priority data, some will stream on liberty pass, and some won’t stream at 7am on priority data.

Which satellite may vary as well. I was never offered Viasat 2 services.
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 209 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Take a few minutes to search this forum for streaming issues. There are many reported problems and many of those stem from running out of priority data.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 349 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Holly, satellite internet and cordcutting are not a good combination due to data restrictions and congestion issues during certain times of the day. You will be very disappointed.

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 733 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
As others have said, your chances of being happy with satellite internet for your needs are very, very, slim. Satellite internet is rarely the best choice if you have other options. Depending on location the usefulness of satellite internet varies greatly.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2195 Posts
  • 1295 Reply Likes
Even Viasat will tell you its not meant for cord cutters.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
I wouldn't recommend it.  I'd keep the satellite TV.  

Also, depending on the ViaSat plan type and plans available to you, your streaming resolution may be limited to 720p, 420p or even 360p.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2195 Posts
  • 1295 Reply Likes
And that's not even the problems with Hulu Live if you expect to watch local channels
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
To expand on this, Hulu live requires a fixed ip address to maintain local channel eligibility, unlike other services like Youtube TV.  If your ip changes, you have to contact them to update, and they only allow so many changes.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2195 Posts
  • 1295 Reply Likes
And unless you have a Viasat business account, no fixed IP.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
It won't work well, you'd be extremely limited.

If you're looking to save money, Orbytv is one of the cheaper options, but it does not include locals and the quality isn't as good as the others.  Another option is Dish Network, "Flex Pack", that's about as cheap as I know of.  It has a decent selection of basic channels.  To save more fees, you can buy a Wally receiver.  With that, you can also buy an external hard drive that's powered, either one that plugs into a  wall outlet, or buy a powered usb hub.  Connect the hard drive to the Wally, pay a one time DVR fee to Dish Network, then you don't have a monthly dvr fee anymore.  But, the limitation is it can only watch or record one thing at a time, one tuner, so that may cause some issues, but may be enough for some (or get another wally in another room to help with that).  With that setup, I've seen breakdowns of fees posted on the satellite tv forum, they are minimal, a few dollars (will vary with location).
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 349 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
The Welcome Pack with Dish is the cheapest package they offer. Around $30 per month and it includes locals. You have to call though because it's not listed on their website.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 30 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
The forums had a few posts, still available, no longer available, so I don't know about right now.  It is grandfathered in though if you already have it.  They also said that you couldn't set up a new account with it, you had to sign up with a different package, then downgrade after install (someone labeled employee as I recall).  Here it is on the website.  https://my.dish.com/upgrades/english-packages/welcome-pack  and here's flex https://my.dish.com/flex-pack and here's pages of discussions of the pricing and increases, etc. https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/2020-dish-price-increases-announced.386399/