Problem with service

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

I am a new customer and am already so disappointed and dissatisfied with Exede. I signed up as a result of being in desperate need of interenet service for online school. Im locked in for 2 yrs now and being a 1 week customer I'm sick about what I've gotten myself into. I will not recommend this company ever because it's just one bad thing after another. Consistently bad.
Photo of Patricia Brumley

Patricia Brumley

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
What is the issue?  Slow speeds?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
It looks like another who jumped on the Exede network without doing any research as to what satellite internet is all about, and the data restrictions that go along with it.
Photo of Patricia Brumley

Patricia Brumley

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
No Steve fortunately it has nothing to do with data or restrictions!!!
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Patricia,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your internet service.  I'm not sure what the issue is, but I am more than willing to help you get them resolved.  I'm sure we can come together and get this taken care of right away.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you. 
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Steve, some of us had no choice.  Where I moved to it was the ONLY choice and it was also who Direct TV connected me to when I needed internet in addition to my TV needs.  I too am stuck with this awful service Patricia.  I'd give anything to have my cable internet back.

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
I certainly understand. Like you, and so many others, I have two choices for internet, Exede and the far inferior service offered by HughesNet. I do not even consider dial up as an option these days. I am very happy with Exede.
Photo of Gerry

Gerry

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Steve, you must only do email to be so content.

The favorite comment from Excede jockeys is they want to know the issue and they are willing to get them resolved.  Guess what?  Once you burn thru your 10mg, you end up with a crappy dial-up type speed.  Yes, it's better than 56kbps, but with servers today, the 500kbps that Excede give you, a lot of the website servers time-out before refreshing a page.  This morning I had to try three times to open the Excede Dashboard.

I was someone who did NOT do enough homework before I bought.  Now I am stuck with this:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 487 kbps (60.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 176 kbps (22 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 719 ms
Jitter: 98 ms
August 25, 2014 at 7:54:54 AM CDT

We don't do netflix or download videos during the day.  We strictly limit our operating system updates to after midnite.  The only thing we do is email and the occasional MSNBC video streaming.

THIS IS MY ISSUE.  A VIRTUALLY CHOKED OFF INTERNET BANDWIDTH.  JUST GIVE ME 2 MBPS. !!!
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Gerry,

If you want 2mbs service unlimited service, get 2mbs unlimited service.  If that's not available in your area, then you live with, and within, what you do have available.  

On exede service, you are buying an X amount of data each month.  Anything you do when that is gone must simply be considered a bonus. 

Satellite internet is much like cell phone service was 15 years ago, you get very strict limits, and you pay thru the teeth if you go over them.  At least with exede, it's your choice to pay more or not.  

Now, modern technology and tons and tons of competition has put cell phone providers in the position that unlimited services are available at a relatively good price.  We are not QUITE there with satellite internet yet, though, fortunately, it does seem right around the corner when the new satellite is launched.  

Until then, this is what you have, this is what you are going to get.  Complaining about it won't make it any better.  As a matter of fact, each and every potential customer you may scare away, means less money for the company, and pushes that new satellite (and the one after it which will certainly increase speeds even further) farther and farther into the future.

Man up, live within your means.  You do it with your paycheck every two weeks, do it with your internet service as well.  And, be glad living in BFE you have internet service at all.

And, until someone learns how to bend the rules of physics. your ping time is never gonna decrease much over satellite.  700 range is just fine.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
And, for the record, I have a kid going to school online.  So yes, he and I can potentially use a LOT of data.  

So, yes, if you are smart, and when necessary, frugal, it's very possible to live on 10 GB a months (though, you bet I'm gonna take advantage of the bonus 5 GBs people seem to be talking about. . . now, if I can just wait the 45 minutes or so for some phone rep to pick up, and hope they have a clue. . . )
Photo of Gerry

Gerry

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Too bad Exede doesn't offer a reasonable thru-put rate of 2-3 Mbps !

When my 10Gb is gone, typically in the first half of the month like most people, I end up with crappy <500k  bandwidth.  Which, by the way, I was told would not happen when I signed up with Exedrin.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
People who don't really understand the ways of the internet also don't understand data.  They do understand speed.  Speed sells.  You get many many many more customers by advertising fast speeds than you do advertising larger data caps.  Exede is a business, and they have to appeal to the widest possible audience they can, and that means plans that address what the people WANT, not necessarily what they need.

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Gerry, I do much more than email. I watch some YouTube videos, am on Facebook around an hour a day, browse other websites around an hour or two a day, Google Earth usually once a day for 5 minutes or so, and check the weather radar several times a day. I usually use around 10 to 12 GBs a month. Very seldom watch any news or other high data content things. I will take the speeds over 12 Mbps over the slower speeds. Every one of us users has different requirements for their internet. Yes, if we had higher data caps I would use more, but until that day comes, I have learned to live within the limits offered and just flat out love that view outside my window, seeing for miles without the clutter of the populated area.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.