Slowing Me Down....

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Since I pay for the unlimited data, why must you have to "prioritize" behind other users when I hit a certain data limit that is suppose to be unlimited!!!?? I just can't wrap my head around that!
Photo of Bonita Kay

Bonita Kay

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Frustrated

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes

Because it is limited unlimited.  It really isn't unlimited.  They say that, but it isn't.  Once you utilized your priority data, all bets are off on how fast your internet will (or won't) be.

The closest thing they have to "unlimited" is the Liberty plans where you can use all the data you want, during the free zone, without penalty.  Any other time and any other plan, all data counts towards slowing you down eventually. 
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
WELL SAID LOL A TRUTH SPEAKER NICE 
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 90 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
It’s the whole, “Make America Great Again” ethos. It’s really NOT “Unlimited” brah.
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 120 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
And they can slow you down even if you stay under your data cap as stipulated by your plan. I’ve never gone over my priority data ever, and they still slow me down. Welcome to viasat, we are at their mercy. They do with us as they wish and we put up with it because there is no other choice.

Shannon Williams

• 53 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
LOL NICE  LOL
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Everyone should have at least 2 choices for internet at a minimum.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 137 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
And those would be BAD and WORSE...
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 120 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Yes, I have Hughes net available. But that is no different than viasat according to reviews here. I don’t see the sense in removing and sending all equipment back when I’m going to get much the same level of service. I’m in my 70’s and exchanging one satellite service for another satellite service that is similar does not seem like a “happy ending.” I’ll stay where I am and hope I live long enough to have internet service that is acceptable. Wild blue, Excede, was decent. Viasat started out ok, then bit the dust earlier this year. You all have heard this sob story, so I won’t repeat.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
The point being evaluate both. Depending on location, one could be better than the other.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 120 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I appreciate and value your posts. You are right. My age is keeping me from being adventurous! Hughes net could be better, I lack the energy to start with another high orbit satellite service. I had my rant on this in January when I got the infamous email. I’ve adjusted my internet use to day time hours, very little at night. I’m old,,,,, I just go to bed early!!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2894 Posts
  • 1523 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 is where it’s at.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 isn't available anymore in any of the zip codes in my area, with modem rental, taxes and fees the bottom plan is $118 a month for 35 GB and speeds up to 12 Mbps.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Same here. No Liberty to be found.

They will probably unilaterally change that plan too for "the good of the cause".
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
There may be good news for me in NC. Just found out that the state recently passed a law allowing electric co-ops to provide broadband to rural areas. Up until now state law prevented electric co-ops from having any role in rural broadband internet.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Really? That is crazy! Talk about internet monopoly!

Between expansion of the internet by the NRTC (hardwired internet) and LEO satellite internet, there might be hope yet for something between than what exists today.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Yep, There is hope after all. But I'm guessing relief is probably 5-10 years off.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
FMJ, I thought you used to like Viasat, have you changed your tune or am I confusing you with someone else?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
It meets his needs. But like many of us, he is hopeful of something better that comes along. Low latency, truly unlimited data, and no buffering when streaming.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Will, Viasat has worked fine for me for the most part. But I've always stated that I would drop satellite in a heartbeat if something better came along. I don't think any satellite customer feels any different.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
And that is why residential satellite internet will always be a niche market, no matter how they try to market it.

Satellite internet is the best bad option for home internet. That is not a knock against Viasat, it is what it is. I think they will continue to focus more on internet in the air, as that is where there is more growth potential less competition, and more money to be made. It only makes sense.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Yep. Satellite is a last resort for those who can't get anything better. The LEOs might be different and be an improvement over some land based services, but we won't know until they come online.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Any update on when the Leos are coming? I am only happy with cell wireless because Viasat was so bad in my area, something that matched the year 2000 big city cable of 5 to 15 Mbps and high data limits would be to die for at my location.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
It impact home values now too. What young family is going to move where low-cost, reliable internet isnt available.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the data cap on the unlimited plan? And what speed to they slow you down to once that cap is hit? Trying to still be able to work from home and determine if it will be enough to support my needs. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Depends on the plan. But in general 60GB or so.
Photo of Bonita Kay

Bonita Kay

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have the 150GB. But usually the last week to week and a half before my plan renews, is when I have the problem of it slowing or lagging. We have had several different internet providers, including hughes net. And I must say for what I pay Viasat, we have had no issues for the past 2 1/2 yrs. Except for this horrible lagging that happens. We have Amazon Prime and Netflix so our internet gets used a lot between 3 adults. And we also live in the "country". So finding a reliable, available service is not easy! I like Viasat, I just hate that this toggling happens! And it just seems like if it's unlimited, then that is how it should be! O well. Thanks to all who replied. I still can't wrap my head around it. But I get it. Blah.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2146 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Try PlayOn Cloud.  Record your content in the cloud (bypassing all the slow internet).  Then download the file to your computer or tablet.  You can watch it in 720p with no buffering, no lagging, and no problem. 

Don't let slow internet or video resolution restricting hold you back from streaming non-live content.  There is away around both, and it costs very little to do so. 
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 434 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
No matter which plan you have your beam will start to congest in the late afternoon as more kids get home from school and adults get home from work...some beams are worse than others and that's why we sometimes see confusing posts on the subject.

The only solution is to add more satellites and beams...or time your activities to later hours..like 11:00pm and later.  I'm fortunate enough, being retired, to do all my activities between 6am and 11:00am...I shut down at 10:30-11:00am..☺☺☺

Shannon Williams

• 52 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
r u serious we should not have to adjust they make millions  idea live up to your  hype not do later be on before who ever
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2436 Posts
  • 1489 Reply Likes
Even under ideal conditions, and even if they didn't "oversell", which is a VERY subjective term, people still have to prioritize and adjust their habits.  Everybody streaming at the same time isn't going to work.  It has nothing to do with how much money they make, nor any hype.  It has to do with finite bandwidth.  

It's an unfortunate reality with present satellite internet.  
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
I barely stream at all other than the occasional 30 minute Youtube clip. In 360p I might add just to save data. But slowing me down after 4PM to the point that the service is unusable just because I'm a Freedom customer is inexcusable. I can't wait to leave this company.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2436 Posts
  • 1489 Reply Likes
Oh, no doubt, and with the Unlimited plans, streaming is throttled, anyway.  I just mean that satellite internet as a whole, even under ideal conditions, has to be used a bit differently than ground based services.  There will always be the evening slowdown, as capacity hardly ever equals, and certainly never surpasses, demand.  Well, maybe for a very short time at the beginning of a new sat service being offered.  With HN, when the ES19 came online, it was great.  No slowdown at all, at any time.  That lasted for about a month.  LOL.  

As for the current issues, they're crazy.  No one should EVER be slowed to the point that the service is unusable, no matter what the fine print says.  New sign ups should have been much better controlled long before that started happening, and the second they knew about the antenna issue, which was before new service was ever offered.    
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
I've thought about signing up for a lower HN plan just as a backup for when Viasat is slowing me down. But the thought of paying 50-60 dollars more a month for internet turns me off big time.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Another solution is not to oversell the service. Or not to sell something before Viasat can stand behind what they promise.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
They are over selling because it brings in money and then they are forcing customers who have been with them for years to pay more for less data. Hopefully the LEO and MEO companies starting up will end HN and Viasat's monopoly on rural internet customers. I'll drop Viasat in a heartbeat as soon as a I can get something better.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've only used 45 out of 150GB's and I can't even get above 1mbps. tonight . I can't even stream music with Tidal it says I have a "Network Problem" yes I do unfortunately I'ts Viasat My last interaction with them couldn't even get a modem swap out as it hasn't had any display lights for years and they said it would require a service call to change the Modem and closed the case # 02428049  I'm thinking of going to HN also.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
With a 150GB priority plan, you are subject to slowdown anytime. Viasat wont force you off a grandfathered plan, but they will modify how a plan works, which in turn will make it useless.