slow to no speed cannot even access facebook

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

when I get caped I am unable to get Facbook. I get "this page cannot be displayed" I suspect it is because the speed has slowed dont to a point that my internet browser times out. This is a recent development as in the past the slowed speed it was able to alow me to surf the net for news and such but not video, now I can not even do that
Photo of Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
yes unfortunately, they slow your speed so much that you cannot even surf the web. There is a thread going on about petitioning exede to get a low limit, so that you can't go under that speed and can't go over it. It is perfectly feasible. 
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Chris,

You should be able to do basic Web Browsing after hitting your data cap.  I have also been having trouble accessing Facebook.  This leads me to believe there may be a problem on their end.  If eligible, you may want to take advantage of the Great Gig Give-a-way to get you out of the dapped status.  If interested, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Every night around 8pm or 9pm facebook fails to load period.  Works in the daytime and im not DAPed.  By the way, facebook doesn't load on evolution either when DAPed.  There's something seriously wrong with exede's system, it's not the customers equipment or the website owners fault.  This is an exede problem and needs to be fixed before I cancel.  I emailed you guys about it and I was told i'd be contacted back within 72 hrs and it's been more than 72 hrs and NOTHING.  Frustrating
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Austin, which address did you email?
Photo of Austin Spiller

Austin Spiller

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
exedelistens@viasat.com

Name is under chris spiller
Photo of Callen Gilbert

Callen Gilbert

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
the problem is not just with facebook.  Unable to browse any site after hitting cap.  Everyone needs to send a letter to their state BBB complaining about being charged for no service
Photo of Callen Gilbert

Callen Gilbert

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Austin, I turned in the same complaint about it acting up each evening. 
Photo of Teena Thi Nguyen

Teena Thi Nguyen

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same thing happened to me. I can't get on Facebook or YouTube.... The problem isn't on face books end because I used my phone to see if it was fbs problem and obviously it isn't!! What is going on?? Are you throttling certain websites that we frequent or use often?? Please contact me ASAP, t33na01@hotmail.com
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
When we had the same problem with Facebook a couple different nights I checked our speed and it was running at .9 down and .2 upload. The ping was 716 and I wondered with that higher ping and Facebook being a "busy" page if it just wasn't enough speed to load.  We are not over our limit or capped so I was guessing it was just a high use time causing some slow down in speed (which doesn't bother me in the least and is why I'd be ok with slower speeds and higher or no data caps!)  I just waited awhile and then it was working again.  For the Exede reps here, I don't believe it is a Facebook issue as if I hotspot my phone on Verizon and connect my computer to that it will load.  Or perhaps there is something going on with Facebook that with a fast ping it can still load but not with the higher ones.  If anyone has any info on this apparently common issue it would be interesting to see what is causing it.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Jacqueline, a ping of 716 is very normal with satellite internet. The satellite is 22,500 miles away, it just takes that long for the signal to travel up and back again. It has to make this trip twice, up to the satellite, down to the earth based server, then another trip up and back to your dish.  It is just plain physics, technology can't change how fast a signal can travel.  The low speeds are what Facebook is seeing and is probably not interested in connecting with during their high traffic periods. 
Photo of Tristan Dinkum

Tristan Dinkum

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
A site doesn't just turn away someone for having low speeds or high ping rates.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
We should see the performance while in DAP improving a good deal due to recent network tweaks. Please let us know if that's not the case.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Kimberly, when will these tweaks take place? I am also no longer able to basic browse when under restricted speed.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Then explain why I have no problem connecting at that speed on a fast ping. I am WELL aware about how ping works. And Steve, ping DOES affect how well your connection is working. Just ask my husband with 30 plus years of IT experience.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.