Slow Speeds

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
I'm on Beam 345, located just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I'm been on the Basic Recovery Plan for the past 6 or 7 years and only get 1.2 - 1.4 mbps down, which has always been fast enough for my purposes, which is to browse the internet, use e-mail, even use u-tube occasionally. I noticed for the past several months that its taking longer for pages to load and more than a few times they won't load period. Sometimes 2-3 minutes to load a page. Had to try 3 times to get this site to load. This happens at all times, so not just an evening "busy time" issue. The EVS tool shows all green and speed tests confirm 1.2 mbps. Anyone else on Beam 345 noticing slower speeds?
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 363 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
BASIC Recovery Plan

Up to 1 Mbps downstream, Up to 200 kbps upstream*

10.3 GB per month, $39.95 per month

Is this the plan you have?

Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Yes, but I always get over 5mbps upstream.
Photo of Amiee Lee

Amiee Lee

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
this makes me nervous Im getting hooked up to this company tomorrow and I just hope what they tell me that I can stream is legit or Im going to be very upset that I was lied to.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
If what the installer says matches the plan you are subscribing to then he/she is truthful, sign up.  If not, get the lies in writing, make the promise-maker sign it.  If they then try to humiliate you for wanting things in writing, and signed, cancel, do not type anything in the installers computer.  Get names of everyone present. 

Read the contract, read the plan you are about to commit the next 2 years to.  You can change plans later, to whatever exede is offering in your area at the time but you are committing to be a customer for 2 years.

Ask questions like; If you use up all the priority data on a liberty plan, what WILL the speed be in the "worst-case" scenario? (This is something to get in writing in any event if looking at the liberty plan). Be aware there is NO late-night free zone with a liberty plan... You use your priority data first no matter what time of day it gets used and then your speed will be unbearable for the remaining days of the billing cycle.  Classic plans have the late-night free zone and even if you use up all your allotted data, and your speed slows to a crawl all day, the late-night free zone is exempt and still goes full speed, un-metered, and does not count against your priority data if you have not yet ran out of it.

exede set up the liberty plans to squeeze more money per GB from the satelite, and that's the truth of why they have them.  (Someone come here and say I'm wrong and I'll use ViaSat CEO, Mark Dankberg's own words to prove it).  Liberty plans are not fair to residential customers and their internet needs.

If given the choice, try a minimum size classic plan first.  You can always buy more GB later if needed and upgrade to a larger classic plan if you seem to always need to buy more data every month.  There is a slight discount if data is pre-purchased in the form of a larger plan, rather than buying it by the GB later in the month each time.

This whole rant is to simply tell you to be aware and be careful.  You might not get lied to at install time, that's up to the character of the installer.  You are the new customer.  You must protect yourself by demanding the truth and having a way to defend yourself if you don't get it.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3807 Posts
  • 3850 Reply Likes
Amiee,

Stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200...

Instead, go directly to the customer agreement, data allowance policy and other residential subscriber documents at:

http://www.exede.com/legal/

Postpone or cancel your install until you exactly know what you're jumping into with those documents. At the very least those documents will prepare you to ask some substantive questions of your installer before he even starts.  Satellite internet works reasonable well for many, but requires knowing the limitations involved with it. Consider satellite your last option if other land-based viable options exist for you.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I have to disagree with Craig's suggestion of getting the installer to put in writing anything he promises. The installer is not authorized to make any commitments beyond what is in Exede's contract or in their official ads, web pages, etc. The same is true of sales people. Your beef would be with the installer or sales person and not with ViaSat. Even if you could sue the installer for "all he has," he may not have much.
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Aimee, you need to read other comments in this forum. Satellite internet is metered and yes, you can stream, but you'll blow thru your data very fast. Also happens if you're a gamer, use  U-Tube, etc.  There's a bunch more smarter posters here that explain the pitfalls of satellite internet better than I can.  I'm pretty happy with Exede but I'm not a heavy internet user and I understand satellite internet limitations. You need to get smarter before you commit.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3803 Posts
  • 3844 Reply Likes
Bill,

Returning to the topic of your original post after a brief detour, are you a Wildblue subscriber or an Exede subscriber?

As I recall, recovery act plans were only available to Wildblue subscribers and not to Exede subscribers.

At the same time, are you sure you're on beam 345 and not beam 185 - they overlap in the Alamo area. 345 is an Exede beam off of ViaSat-1, while 185 is an augemented Exede beam on the older satellite but also continues to provide Wildblue services to those who haven't upgraded to Exede.

But FWIW, that sounds like the old Wildblue Select Plan - the upstream above the stated claim isn't surprising - there's generally sufficient capacity beyond what is stated for uploads and there's no need to artificially throttle and simply let it rip.

However, with today's web sites I'd be surprised if much works at 1 Mbps down due to our Website Obesity Crisis - see:

http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

Even this site despite its simplicity is overweight in terms of the number of requests needed and its secure nature.

As the author above tweeted to web site developers:

War and Peace is closer to 7 MB...                     

P.S. If indeed Wildbue service, your best bet may be to install Firefox, coupled with the AdBlock or UBlockOrigin add-on, the Flash Control add-on (not to be confused with FlashBlock), and in extreme cases the NoScript add-on. It's what I had to do to maintain barely usable service on WildBlue before switching to an Exede Plan 4 years ago - but that was the 512 Kbps Wildblue Value plan - I shudder to think what it would be like now. While those add-ons are typically though of as beeing data savers, they also speed things up on many sites - particularly if on Wildblue where there's no robust acceleration technology used. Note that they also may break certain web sites, but each of them provides the ability to white-list any sites that may require the extra bloat due to their poor design.    
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Starling

Bill Starling

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Thanks Old Lab for the reply and tips, frankly I don't know if I'm on Wildblue or Exede. When I moved 7 or 8 years ago was told I was upgraded to Exede by the installer but several days later  someone can to replace the modem and I was told it was still Wildblue. Again, never had a problem in all these years but lately getting aggravated just browsing because of slow speeds. I've had Adblock for sometime and will install Firefox. 

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3803 Posts
  • 3844 Reply Likes
Easiest way to tell might be by the color of the modem and its branding - if blue, it's Wildblue; if black it's Exede last I knew. But with all the players out there now, it's tough to tell without a scorecard. Don't overlook the other two add-ons for Firefox.

Had you upgraded to Exede I don't think you could have kept the recovery act plan.  
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 363 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Bill, it sure looks like you're on an augmented satellite beam..  this is the recovery plan options,,,I

http://www.wildblue.com/options/recovery-act