Slow speeds Congested beam

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Hello, I've got the Unlimited Silver 25 Plan. My speeds have been pretty slow lately. Especially today/this evening. I restarted my router a couple times and it didn't help. I called Tech support and ended up being transferred to Tier 2 support. The gentleman that I spoke with said that the beam I was on was highly congested. He then said he was going to call someone and see what the average speed was for this time on my beam. He said 2.2Mbps. So my speed was reflecting normal at this time. That's complete BS. Can't have 2 video streams going right now. That is NOT right. I hate to complain but I shouldn't have this kind of issue as a paying customer. I pay almost $130 a month for this service. I don't think I'm asking too much. Seems to me that ViaSat is spreading themselves a bit thin. Not happy at all.
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
  • Irritated

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2109 Reply Likes
Honestly, that's pretty good primetime speed. You should see what it is on my beam!

Anyhow, what general location of the country do you live in? Beams that cover the Appalachia area are the most congested.
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I live in Central southern Iowa. You may think it's good but I just don't agree. I should be able to stream 2 tvs at a time, ANYTIME I'd like to. I completely understand primetime. I'm totally fine knowing it will slow down then...but slow down to under 2 Mbps? That's unacceptable in my eyes. Maybe they shouldn't take on more customers than they can handle. As a paying customer, that's not my problem!!
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Looks fine to me, considering it is primetime. Your speeds will increase once primetime is over.
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yeah. I know. Obviously....
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
This looks fine to you?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3606 Posts
  • 2106 Reply Likes
Faster than the speed on my beam right now.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2109 Reply Likes
Central Iowa's beam congestion is nothing like the beam congestion in the east. Sorry you find it unacceptable. Perhaps you have other internet options available that could better meet your needs?
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Show us what your speed is right now.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
I've used all of my priority data for the month and it's prime time, so naturally it is slow.

This morning my speed was 8 mbps. Right now my speed is 0.16 mbps. No complaints from me.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
"naturally it is slow" really? I don't care if you are out of priority data that is absurd BS
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
That's how it works. Stomping your feet won't change that. You seem to not understand what unlimited data really means.
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Jim, is that comment to mark or myself?
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yeah that doesn't count if you've used your priority data...
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
And your plan is $50 plus fees, my plan is $110 plus fees. So yes if i was you, id have no complaints either.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Sometimes my speed is slightly less than 1 mbps when I still have priority data. It just depends on congestion. Internet is very usable, even at 0.16 mbps, you just can't do video.

Video streaming at 1 mbps is no problem as long as you don't try to do it in HD.

I could care less about primetime congestion though. I download all of my video when the network isn't busy so I don't have to worry about congestion.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
$60.99 to be exact.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 84 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
try 140.00 per month
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Ethan, your slowdown is common on congested beams and is the nature of satellite internet. There's really nothing you can do other than try it again outside of primetime. If something better comes along in your area other than satellite, then jump on it ASAP.
Photo of Ethan Farrell

Ethan Farrell

• 69 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I don't understand why everyone is defending ViaSat. Like I said previously, I am ok with it slowing down during primetime. However it's not ok for it to be that slow. So slow that I can hardly watch one video stream let alone 2 simultaneously. It's not my problem that ViaSat has over congested the beam I'm on. I am a paying customer and should be able to still use my internet during primetime like I do any other time. I'm not asking for the full 25Mbps speed for my plan. Hell im not asking for much. I've had no other issues. Viasat has taken on too many customers. If I had any other options, I wouldn't have gotten satellite internet. I'd like to see a ViaSat Rep get on here and reply to me but it probably won't happen because they know I'm right. They have got to get more people moved over to the 2nd satellite. This is getting horrible. 2 weeks ago my speeds during primetime were under 10Mbps but over 5Mbps. Now I'm under 1Mbps and staring at a buffering ring spinning. PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS VIASAT.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
We're not defending it. Believe me, I get as frustrated as you do and sometimes wonder why I'm paying this kind of money. But the fact is that Hughes isn't any better. You just have to learn how to manage your data and browsing habits differently than city folks do.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2109 Reply Likes
FMJ is right. There is no way I could watch Netflix or Amazon during primetime. But like Stephen, I queue up my video at odd hours and stream with no buffering during primetime.

Sure it would be great to be able to stream on Viasat internet without jumping through hoops. Unfortunately, that is not always possible, and one must be creative on how to make it work!
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 39 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Champion
 Could you explain what you mean and how you would queue up video and watch later?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2109 Reply Likes

Depends how you want to watch.  Do you want to watch on a tablet, computer, or TV?  Tablets or computers you can download Netflix and Amazon content and watch later.  If you want to watch on a TV, you need to download and then use a combination of Playon and Roku.  If you do a search on this site, you should be able to find detailed instructions on how to do it.

Stephen Rice can explain better than I can!

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
If Viasat didn't oversell their service, we would all be paying $500 a month. Airlines and hotels do the same thing to keep prices low.
(Edited)
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 84 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
try $140.00 per month
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 84 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
they need the money too pay for the new bird people out there go nuts playing games down loading watching movies they can do that but some of use just want the page too load get there email So stephen if your happy cool. At $60.00 per month be doing a happy dance
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
I watched The Cosby Show and M*A*S*H tonight with zero buffering thanks to my Plex server. I'm too lazy to get off the sofa to dance.
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 39 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mr Rice
   Would you mind explaining what Plex server is. Please see my comments to  Champion  (scroll up)  Seems like a way to free up some of the prime time congestion if  Via Sat would explain how to do so.
Thanks
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Thank you Mr. Rice.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
I am on the same Silver plan, and i have never seen less than 1.5 mbps during prime time, and  most of the time it is at least 2.2 down 1 or so up during prime time.  Speeds at other times 20 + down and upto about 3.5 up. 

Its all about the bass, er the beam.  So what i get and you get depends where we are. 

In any case I think all the plans should provide a no less than speed, like 1.5 mbps down and 1 up.

Even at those very modest speeds you wouldn't get 480 without major buffering, throw in 2 or 3 devices on the web, your crawling.

Still waiting for V2's major sharing the workload impact..............
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
It is all about the beam.. Location, location, location.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
My priority data reset today. Speed is 17.9 mbps right now. I am paying for up to 12 mbps.

I expect speed to be somewhere between 1 to 10 mbps once prime time kicks in.

Photo of Charles

Charles

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I see this post started/ended 6 mos ago. Is this still an issue with the new plans and the new satellite going up? I attempted twice for install but refrained for I have ATT hot spot internet never capped always around 20 Mbps. Unfortunately once you hit 100 gigs, you get charged more. I came from the city where you could accidently leave Spotify or movie on and not feel any shame. Now I live in the sticks, off a dirt road, in the woods, in a valley in the kettles. Lucky to get sunlight, let alone internet. I have installation set up for tomorrow because of the unlimited plans.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3849 Posts
  • 3910 Reply Likes
Yes it's still the same. Experience will vary depending upon which service area (spot beam) you reside. Unlimited plans are only offered on Viasat-2 and you may be ok but may depend on whether you're on a large or small beam having different capabilities.

If you exceed your data usage threshold you will be prioritized behind all other subscribers in your service that have not exceeded their thresholds. During peak congestion periods, your speeds may and can be  as dismal as those that initiated this conversation. Also review the not so fine print at:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

If you've been lured solely by the promise of "unlimited", understand what "unlimited" means in this context as well as the video streaming policies (throttling of detected video streams).

Before jumping head first into the pool, you might also want to review some of the other legal documents at:

https://www.exede.com/legal/ 

(Edited)
Photo of Charles

Charles

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Seems like all the normal legal mumbo jumbo. Granted what have now is not throttled, it's not what I'm looking for and if I have to call ATT one more flipping time, I'm going to go insane. Hopefully Viasat C.S.R. is even half of what I expect, it will be 500% better!
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Question - are you streaming two at once, or one then the other?
If so, why stream two at once??
Photo of Shanna Blue Morgan

Shanna Blue Morgan

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We get VERY slow speeds constantly!!!  We get a signigicant outage every few days.  We've had Viasat for 4 months and nothing but major issues with thier service.  We've had technicians out and have had to call tech support too many times to count.  We pay for the highest speed (100mbps) and our speeds never exceed 40mbps.  We continue to get the run around with tech support and customer service and are still waiting to hear from a supervisor.  Friday morning 8am EST and my speeds are 9mbps (reset to data yesterday)
Totally unhappy