slow speeds and no help from customer support

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
Getting slow speeds and customer support no help all they can say is the network is congested I am not paying for slow speeds.

Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

A lot of customers would trade you in a heartbeat.  That is probably little consolation for you.
When all else fails, send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com describing your problem and give them a chance to help.  Include your account number and contact information.  Your account number probably starts with the number 3.
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will try that ty shall see what they say if they even respond
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
They will respond, btw running frequent speed tests burns up data quickly.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
What plan are you currently on?
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
She can't reply right now. Speedtests in progress.....
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
on unlimited
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
There are several unlimited plans. Which unlimited plan and how much data have you already used this month?
Photo of Charlie Comstock

Charlie Comstock

• 15 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes.....I would gladly trade mine with you at specific times throughout the month....particularly when my download speeds are racing to the bottom....And I have not even come close to exceeding my 'data plan'...looks what happens just when I am ready to sit down and stream a movie....:

4/15/2018 - 21:54654
Download: 0.57
Upload: 0.54
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Frontier - Exede

4/15/2018 - 21:53596
Download: 0.40
Upload: 0.35
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Time Warner Cable - Exede

4/14/2018 - 21:10576
Download: 0.29
Upload: 0.64
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Time Warner Cable - Exede

4/11/2018 - 22:38596
Download: 0.33
Upload: 0.39
Location / Server: Burbank, CA - Sprint - Exede

4/11/2018 - 22:23597
Download: 0.42
Upload: 1.10
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Frontier - Exede

4/11/2018 - 20:11600
Download: 0.52
Upload: 1.17
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - AT&T - Exede

4/11/2018 - 18:44619
Download: 0.14
Upload: 1.21
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Frontier - Exede

3/21/2018 - 20:43608
Download: 0.41
Upload: 1.11
Location / Server: Sacramento, CA - QTS Data Centers - Exede

3/14/2018 - 20:19599
Download: 0.48
Upload: 1.15
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - SingTel - Exede

3/10/2018 - 19:51630
Download: 0.19
Upload: 0.53
Location / Server: Chicago, IL - Speedtest.net - Exede

3/10/2018 - 19:41712
Download: 0.11
Upload: 0.55
Location / Server: Los Angeles, CA - Speedtest.net - Exede
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3146 Posts
  • 1791 Reply Likes
Looks like some of my speed tests!
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 390 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Ditto
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
exactly
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
thats my speed 0. this and 0. that
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
woke up this morning and getting 28k I say they need to do something about the congested networks at night and weekends
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3146 Posts
  • 1791 Reply Likes
If you were getting 28kbps this morning, I would say there is something wrong on your end and it is not congestion.
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
sorry 28mbps
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3146 Posts
  • 1791 Reply Likes
Then yes. Congestion. It has been been bad for several weeks now during primetime on a number of beams.
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
they need to fix before they sell more on the same beam
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2084 Posts
  • 1031 Reply Likes
Are you on the Unlimited Bronze plan?
Photo of Ruth Nielsen

Ruth Nielsen

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
unlimited silver
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 400 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
My bet is that you Are paying for slow speeds. I don't like it either.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
His speeds really are pretty good.
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am in my first month of my contract with Viasat, of course, PAST the return/shut off date to get out of the contract. As soon as I went over my data usage, my speeds dropped to, sometimes up to 17 Kb/s. Varying UNDER speeds of 25 Kb/s and below. I got into chat (which I had to do with the hotpot on my phone, because the Satellite would not keep connection) and they gave me the typical runaround. I then contacted my local installer, who said that they were actually having an issue with the Satellite itself. So I waited a few days...no change. I got back into chat, and the lady told me that these are "OK" speeds!!! Are you kidding me? I'm paying $88 dollars for LESS than dial up speeds, and she still thinks that there's nothing wrong with this picture. I could NOT believe I was having this conversation with this person. I wasn't sure if this person was just not savvy with technology, or just covering up for lies of the the company, but she continued to defend it. I explained it and argued my point in many different ways and different points. She changed her story at every turn, and with every point I made, to make it "OK" for me to get LESS THAN dial up speeds! Very sad...corporations, the exec's, I can see these people benefiting from the lies to us...but this rep? Why? What do they gain to keep this wall of deception to keep face? I understand that we are being recorded...but there are ways to sympathize or empathize with customers without throwing the company under the bus, or loosing your job over it. This is outrageous, ludicrous, and downright unscrupulous!  And, now I'm in for two years. To a company that, right away, is full of lies and corruption...greed. Nothing more. Sick, pitiful. This is not what capitalism is supposed to be for. Not RIPPING people off and getting away with it through the "fine print". Now, I have a goal to go on a campaign to go to my local media, internet media, and anywhere else I can find to let EVERYONE I can possibly get in contact with, and tell them to avoid this company. It may not be enough...but it will at least make sure that those people don't get "hurt" by these "bullies".
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2772 Posts
  • 1747 Reply Likes
Davis, you used up your priority data, and now you are complaining about your slow speeds. Wow.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2174 Posts
  • 1887 Reply Likes
Unlimited data.  Not unlimited speed.  ( open can of worms )
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3328 Posts
  • 1912 Reply Likes
Hence the problem with the title "unlimited" plans.
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Really, so it's ok to go down to speeds of 17 KB/S?  And stay there? I can understand if it varied based on the amount of people on at certain times of day...like they claim. But that's NOT the case. You're assuming I'm a novice with this. And, immediately going to sit there and talk to me like that. Take your "Wow" somewhere else "pal". I've been down this road before. I did my research with the people prior to signing the contract. They promised me, that when I ran out of data, that my speeds may slow down to 1 to 2 MB/S...not 17-25 KB/S, or are you reading that part correctly. I'm holding back on being sarcastic and nasty here. When a company makes promises, form different parts of customer services, and then turns on those promises...YES I'm going to complain.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3328 Posts
  • 1912 Reply Likes
Who promised you speeds wouldn't go below 1Mbps? My speed isnt that fast during primetime on priority data!

If you are not a novice, you should know there is no minimum guaranteed speed with satellite as there are way too many variables. That isn't a criticism of you, but some beams are so congested during primetime they are slowing down for everybody.
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK, I'm not trying to be difficult here, but going below 1 Mb/s and 17 Kb/s are two ENTIRELY different things...especially when it's CONSTANTLY 17-25 Kb/s...   I can see if it was around 1 Mb/s with dips of 17 Kb/s during congested periods. That's not the case here. I test it during the day, evening, and even during the am hours. I'm aware of the prime-time speeds and how they will affect my speeds after my data cap is met. But, this isn't a constant...like Hughes Net used to be...or so I was told on several occasions. So I say consistently, I should say always. And, customer services says that's OK. And apparently customers are naive and think that paying $88 per month, for services of "high speed internet," even after you reach your maximum data...when you are on speeds of 25 Mb/s. So going from 25 Mb/s down to a constant 17 Kb/s second, you're saying that I should be satisfied with this. I do understand how the data caps work. And I would be OK, seeing speeds down around 1 Mb/s. I just can't believe that in this day and age that 17 Kb/s is acceptable to any of you. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3328 Posts
  • 1912 Reply Likes
I agree with you. I don't think these plans should be sold as "unlimited" to begin with. It just sends the wrong message to the end user, and many customers never read the fine print.

Unfortunately, the best solution at this time is to not burn through priority data. Once priority data is used up, all bets are off.
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you sir, I appreciate your empathy.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Davis still won't tell us what plan he is on.  To paraphrase, he has said, "I am paying $88 a month for unlimited internet and it isn't very fast."

$88 a month translates to Bronze 12.  Bronze 12 is $70 a month, plus $10 equipment rental and taxes.  That is $80 a month plus tax, which could easily add up to $88.

Lets spell out the terms of Bronze 12 for Davis.

Bronze 12 is speeds up to 12 mbps.  It comes with 40 GB of priority data. You won't always have 12 mbps speeds, but you will have priority over other customers until you use 40 GB of data.  Once you use your first 40 GB of data, your priority will be reduced.  This is so other people can have a chance to enjoy their speeds as well.

If the network isn't busy, you will get better speeds, but keep in mind, you lose priority after using your first 40 GB of data.

From what I could see from the screenshot of his speed tests, he is consistently getting speeds over 5 mbps.  One of his speed tests was even 16 mbps, yet he is only paying for speeds up to 12 mbps.  

His speeds are fine and are consistent with the plan he is paying for.  On Sunday night he had one speed test that was 659 kbps.  The rest of his speed tests were over 1 mbps, many of them during prime time.  
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK, you can see my screenshots of speed tests...so you say...but you don't know what my plans are. I'm assuming you are part of Viasat? And, either way, your information would be inconsistent. The last conversation I had with customer service was on 4/10, which, at the time I was receiving nothing but constant speeds of around .017 Mb/s  DL's...and I see you're not bothering to look up or post those screenshots... So, my speeds are NOT fine...and, I am paying for speeds of 25 Mb/s, not 12...but that would be fine with me if I was getting 1 Mb/s after my 60 Gb limit was met. But, I wasn't. And, that's why I reached out to customer service "Tammy A" on 4/10 at 8:39 PM. What's sad about all of this is...it ends up a pissing contest between the company and the customers. Not sure if you ARE part of Viasat, and if you're not, then I'm coming after your for infringement of my privacy. But, if you are, then you can truly see that your are sitting here posting negatively to put me to shame...{Davis still won't tell us what plan he is on.  To paraphrase, he has said, "I am paying $88 a month for unlimited internet and it isn't very fast."} Which, by the way, is not what I said nor implied. And, the rest of your statements are just to discredit anything I have to say. Customer is always wrong, so prove that he is, somehow, right off the bat. So what's your next play, there ... "buddy"... mr. Viasat "representative". What's your next play, to make me look bad on here so you can make me look like an idiot? There's your "WOW" people.    Stephen, you don't care about whether or not I'm right or wrong, just as long as you "prove" me wrong in front of the eyes of everyone here. It's true...the fine print always gets you. The people that I talked to flat out lied to me about the speeds...they told me that the speeds would absolutely NOT do this after my data ran out. And as soon as my data ran out...you all turn around and tell me that "of course it does".  And, "no one told you that". Because, the customer is not longer right...ever. Even when we are right. I am the one sitting at my computer everyday and night. I am the one doing my speed tests...every time. NOT YOU.  I see my downloads from places like Microsoft, or Dell or other reputable sources, that I trust and know that their servers will be at top speeds, and when I see them downloading at 50, or 25 Kb/s or less, and when I see that speed test come back the same...it's quite obvious there is an issue. So, yes, I'll have to manipulate my firewall and shut off everything, use my hotspot on phone and whatever it takes to try and save data to make it the month, so I can stretch out the data cap on the "unlimited (lie)" data plan. All because multiple people that I asked point blank questions about this particular issue, gave me false information. Once again, no broadband for the little guys out on the edge of the city. Not even when they're promised it. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
I got Davis and Ruth (the original poster) confused with each other. My apologies.

If you are getting speeds below 100 kbps and you haven't used your priority data, there is a problem. Send an email to Viasatlistens@viasat.com to have corporate look into it. They are good people and can do much more for you than the people who answer the phones.
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you for that Stephen. Apologies go a long way! I'm 49 year's old and if we count my mistakes in life...well let's not got there...LOL. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
I kept wondering why you were talking about speeds below 100 kbps yet all of the speeds on the original post were much faster.

I'm from Louisiana and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Incidentally, if it was a dealer who lied to get you to sign up, be sure to mention it when you send that email. Viasat needs to know when these things happen.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Stephen is not a Viasat employee. He might be a shill for the Liberty plan, but that is all. He is also the un-champion, but has traveled to all seven continents and likes movies wirh R. Lee Emery.

Not ready to give him the title of the Most Interesting Man in the World, but on this forum he might be the closet thing to it!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
The Liberty Plan is pretty freaking awesome.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1894 Reply Likes
Stephen did no wrong here.  Davis hijacked someone else's post.  Happens all the time. 
Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hijacked a post...when you are searching for answers, you should stay within the parameters of the content. Otherwise, there would be many different posts on the exact same subject with no answers, no resolutions. Do you not no how forums are supposed to work?   Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not blaming Stephen. But, every forum I've ever been on for the last two decades tries it's best not to double up on subjects. So why would we continue to make multiple posts on the same subjects creating more confusion for each other, when we're all trying to get help from one another? 
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3800 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
Welcome to Planet Viasat where things are a bit different... ;)

Actually, for whatever reason the moderators (the actual Viasat employees) would prefer that folks not piggyback on an existing post as shown in the sidebar of the community home if expecting an official employee response:

I suspect it just makes it easier for them (the moderators) to identify posts they haven't personally responded to (those that they haven't assigned a status to - e.g. acknowledged, answered, in progress, etc.) and is really an indictment of how horrible GetSatisfaction is as a support venue. This format leaves a lot to be desired and some of the problems are evident even within this single conversation - such as not knowing which comments are in reply to which comments, a lack  of appropriate categories for general chit chat and/or banter, inability to locate posts that have been archived yet contain pertinent information, poor search capabilities, etc. not to mention the general misconception new folks here have that this is a direct support venue - it's more customer to customer self help oriented.

Then again the workflow for creating a new conversation actually encourages piggybacking... go figure.

The old forum was much better suited to the task of a support forum before it was killed off. Your only other option now is:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue   

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1894 Reply Likes
Plus it makes it easier for Stephen to follow along...:)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3800 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
We're still trying to determine zanne's gender... and I prefer to think of Stephen as the anti-champion rather than un-champion ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1894 Reply Likes
Ah yes, Zane.  Another post that got people confused.  But at least we probably solved a murder on that one.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
I don't work with the males, because I used to be one.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Stephen was a champion, so how can he be an anti champion?

Speaking of champions, whatever became of Bev? She is the MIA champion.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
I've been wondering the same thing.  I bet it is some sort of top secret stuff she isn't allowed to talk about.  I wouldn't know about the top secret stuff though since I'm no longer a champion.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

It's not so secret... Bev and her husband are in a big-rig going cross-country along with a VS-2 transponder thingy.  They're mapping the high capacity beams that didn't get pointed quite right while they're on the road and reporting their findings to Viasat.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Yeah.  Thats part of the top secret stuff.  I even saw something about a BBQ in Colorado before my champion status got taken away.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

See...  You should have been there.  Not showing up, even with only a day or 2's notice is like missing your only little sister's wedding because you had to be home to water your tomatoes.  Bummer is....  Viasat never forgets.  The strange thing about the BBQ was when they said we must act like it never happened.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Whats weird is there was a post from Deku saying something about $1,000 showing up in her paypal account to pay for travel to the BBQ.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

"Viasat Cares"... (they love back?)  or.... "No excuse to miss this." 

Photo of Davis Payne

Davis Payne

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you all for being patient with me, and teaching me Viasat ways. I do not agree with this, but don't have much of a choice, and your sympathy and empathy helps. Not used to being a 'newb' anymore. Maybe I should change my username to ViaNewb.

Thanks, again!! 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3215 Posts
  • 1844 Reply Likes
I am pulling 448kbps tonight. Priority data, but such is what happens on congested beams during primetime. This is actually an IMPROVEMENT from a couple weeks ago.

It is what it is right now.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1080 Posts
  • 348 Reply Likes
What it is, is simply horrible. Maybe a way to sell more ViaSat 2 plans when (if) they become available?

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3215 Posts
  • 1844 Reply Likes
Out of necessity perhaps. Somebody is going to move I hope. But for the new plans, not worth it to me.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
My speeds are usually faster until 6pm, not today, just the opposite.

Speed Test Result
Speed Test Result
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3215 Posts
  • 1844 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2229 Posts
  • 419 Reply Likes
Ruth,  Please send an email to Corporate Social Media at viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. I or mone of my colleagues will review your account.