Slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago

We have had Exede for a year and a half.  At first, we were happy with the speeds because we use to have CenturyLink DSL with a speed of .75 mbps (we were paying for 1.5 but we could only get .75).  We live 3 miles away from a town that can get Charter, we are not that rural but because we don't have fiber optics, CenturyLink dsl and satellite are our only options.  Our plan is 12.0 Liberty Pass.  It takes us no time at all to run out of data due to everything being on the internet.  We have 3 kids, that have school computers they bring home and can't even do their homework because our internet is too slow.  There is 5 people in the house and with iphones, laptops, tvs, etc 12gb doesn't go very far.  I can't use wifi on my phone because it is too slow.  It seems at the beginning of the contract, speeds were faster and now they are so slow.  I just did a speed test and was surprised it even ran as the speed was .25.  I hear of people complain about speeds of 2, imagine when it is .25!  I have restarted the modem and router numerous times.  I am so frustrated and ready to switch.  Does anyone have any suggestions before I call and cancel this terrible satellite internet?  We pay $60 a month for internet we can hardly use during peak times and I am sick of it.

Photo of Kristi Heinz

Kristi Heinz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2243 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
The Liberty Pass isn't designed to give solid internet to five people during peak times.  It is intended to give you good speeds during the day when everyone else is at work.  I've found the Liberty Pass to be extremely fast (12 mbps) from around 3am to 4pm in my neck of the woods.  

After 5pm, my speeds slow down drastically but even at .25 mbps I can still browse the internet with ease.  Streaming video suffers at the slower speeds but as long as I have .5 mbps I am able to stream on the Roku.

Long story short, I am getting exactly what I paid for and am extremely happy.  If you are expecting for five people to come home from work/school at 5pm and all use the internet at once on the Liberty Pass, it isn't going to happen.  

For a house of five, you really need to spend the money to get a plan with enough data for your needs.  In my house the Liberty Pass is awesome, but I understand what it is and don't expect more than what I agreed to when I signed up for service.

It is pretty awesome, but I am certainly not upset when speeds slow down during prime time.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3495 Posts
  • 2029 Reply Likes
Stephen is correct. For a family of five to have just 12GB/month, even with the Liberty Pass, is going to be difficult if not impossible.

I understand you don't want to pay more of internet, but while the DSL might be slow, you probably didn't have a data cap. Speed isn't everything.

My advice is to look at other plan options, but a 25GB or 50GB still might not be enough if you are heavy data users.
(Edited)