Slow slow slow speed

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I signed up for an unlimited package with the same speed I had previously. Webpages would not load tonight. It is EXTREMELY slow. It was not this slow before. It is not suppose to be throttled until 150 GB and we only have 41. Unlimited doesn't help me if it's so slow we cannot use it. I would like to have reliable service. It took the viasat homepage almost 3 minutes to load. Seriously! Would you be happy paying $70 per month for something that takes 3 minutes to load one page. You can forget watching a video. We cannot even think about watching a movie. I'm not satisfied with this speed. It was not this slow before.
Photo of Ricky Johnson

Ricky Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Get use to it, unlimited plan isn't so unlimited when they slow you down like this, seems like they really make it hard to even use 150GB a month. Surly seems like a planned thing. I'm in the same boat. Silver unlimited but from around noon to midnight barely usable speeds.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2197 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
It wasn't a planned thing. Things slowed down due to simple math.
Photo of Ricky Johnson

Ricky Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I cannot load ANY webpages. I am not paying for a service I cannot use. The company will deduct the unusable days or I will disconnect.
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Yeah, contact them like I did, just for them to say it's congestion and nothing they can do about it, they even did a speed test on their end on my modem and it was 512kbps. All they could say was it's typical for prime time hours...lol..yeah ok 1/2 a Mbps is acceptable
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3369 Posts
  • 1939 Reply Likes
On congested beams that are impacted heavy primetime usage, I could see half a Mbps happening.

Tonight I had a hard time streaming standard definition Amazon. Came back later in the evening and it was working better.

It's no fun. All we can hope for is Viasat-2 taking some of the load off so we see speeds improved. There is a reason why we see downgraded video resolution. Some beams at times struggle to deliver even 480p.
Photo of Larry Forehand

Larry Forehand

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ha, "downgraded video resolution". What resolution would you recommend for 100 to 400 KBPS? My Outlook has been getting the mail for over an hour now, until it times out and freezes. There comes a time when IPS's have to stop advertising 25mbps when they know full well the customer will never achieve more than half of that, then telling the customer that you may need to "prioritize" his speed, when that is really a euphemism for "slower than a dialup modem". At some point it becomes at best false advertising and at worse fraud.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2194 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
My dialup modem never achieved 100k to 400k.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2202 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
Larry, have you emailed viasatlistens@viasat.com and told them about your issue?  Let them see what can be done.
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
look at their ratings online 1 and a half star, what did you expect, even comcast is more reliable than their service lol and comcast is a known joke
Photo of G E

G E

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It is a joke. I still have the old modem with the data cap of 150gigs at 12-15Mbps. I can plug it in right now and get three as fast speed. It has nothing to do with congestion. Its their equipment. IMO I think its been slowed down, for us that want unlimited. that's why they send you the, "New fancy WiFi modem"  to make you think its going to be better.
Photo of Michael Salmons

Michael Salmons

• 30 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm on liberty pass but the past few days its been only around 0.30 Mbps download and 1-3 Mbps upload on the non prime hours. 

Wish I could switch my download and upload speeds ha!

This is new though, I did have good speeds during the non prime hours, so its gotta some hefty congestion or another problem.  It is getting a bit annoying not being able to do anything with the internet at the moment.
Photo of G E

G E

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I couldn’t even open my emails for the last hour and a half.
Somethings got to done. This is ridiculous. And after emailing that viasatlistsen crap my old modem has been disabled. Now I’m stuck with this joke.
Photo of Ricky Johnson

Ricky Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you all for the comments. I did not mean to start an argument. I have sent an email to Viasat. I received a response that my email was received but I haven’t heard anything else. I mistakenly thought someone from the company was reading these posts. I apologize for stirring emotions. This doesn’t solve our problem. Maybe if everyone continues to send emails they will try to fix the problem.
Photo of G E

G E

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Switch the beam? Do you mean the New Satellite they just got up there? I was told by tech support, that Satellite is for the new services that are going to be offered. like the unlimited gold. Unlimited silver will stay on the old one as well as all the old packages.