Slow internet speeds!

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Internet is running extremely slow Ping 770 Download 4.7 Mbps Upload .72 we should be running 25 Mbps minimum. anyone else having issues?
Photo of David Sassenhagen

David Sassenhagen

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You have GOT to be kidding??? That is nowhere near extremely slow and why do you think you should be running 25Mbps minimum???

Exactly how long have you had satellite internet?!?!?
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 84 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
bruh ViaSat advertises "up to" speeds
so enjoy that 25mbps
if it happens
and enjoy that 5 mbps while it doesnt

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I don't even bother running a speed test anymore. I can tell just from regular internet use when my speeds are being affected from congestion.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That is how I knew speeds were horrible yesterday...all day. 

But sometimes it gets so bad I have to see HOW bad.  I was around 350kbps before primetime even began.

Now at 3:30am I am over 4Mbps.

Congestion, congestion, congestion. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sounds like your beam is definitely more congested than mine. I don't usually notice a drop in speeds until around 7PM or so. Even on weekends. It's about 0350 in my neck of the woods and I'm running at 18Mbps.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
A packet loss test will tell you more about congestion than a speed test. Some of the speed tests do display quality (often measure in terms of packet loss).

Connection quality is more important than speed.

Packet loss is caused by many things including hardware/software/install issues and any packet loss due to those will be pretty much constant. However, a spike in packet loss is a fairly reliable indicator of congestion. The reason beaing that the typical response to congestion is dropping packets and requesting retranmission at a slower rate.  Queing delays and blocking new connections are also indicators - the net result slow.

At least that's my understanding and I could be wrong. But evidencd suggest that's the case for me during known congested periods packet loss spikes for me when using:

https://freeola.com/line-test/

During typical non-peak periods is 0% - if I get something higher then, I start looking for potential culprits on my end. If you get 100% loss, chances are your firewall/router is blocking the test - at a minimum you have to let them ping your IP.

You can also accomplish the same with your own pings from the command line with the n flag - it uses less data too but you'll need to summarize the results yourself!

But like y'all, I don't really need a speed test to tell me its slow unless interested how much.

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2169 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
If you get 100% loss, chances are your firewall/router is blocking the test - at a minimum you have to let them ping your IP.
Yep.  My modem's firewall is killing it.  Unfortunately, it's not something I can turn off.  Luckily, though, I have connectivity test built into my modem's system control center page.  Does the ViaSat modem page have a similar test?  

It's very rare that I see packet loss, other than during bad weather, but I have seen it during times of extreme congestion.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Not on mine.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Freeola says I'm getting 100% packet loss. Actual test using the command prompt says 0% and a 630ms ping.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yes, as noted later you need to allow them to ping you from the outside world. Most firewalls block it by default.

ping -n 100 google.com

Right now gives me 0% packet loss for those 100 packets sent - during prime time I've seen it climb to 12% or more.

But by now, I've got a good idea of what's going on based solely on my slow experience.  Even then when it happens (congestion), what am I going to do - yell at a cloud ;) None of it's an exact science and just a smell test - looks like, congestion, smells like congestion... must be congestion. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Where did you get the impression that it's 25 Mbps minimum. I'm guessing your plan is UP TO 25 Mbps, so 4 mbps is fine for those plans during congestion.  4.7 up is very good, 3 up is average. 770 is not bad for latency (ping) it runs 600 to 800 on average and, that's the nature of satellite internet due to the laws of physics. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Sometimes, in reading a post, you can just tell it is the weekend!