Slow internet speeds in the evenings !!!

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Has anyone noticed slower speeds, mostly in the evenings.  My speed during the day is 15-30 mbps.  For two weeks now starting around 6 pm CST, my download speeds drop to below 3 mbps.  So I called the 888 customer service to be told the issues were related to hardware (I've had for 2 years now) issues.  It is VERY ODD that my hardware has issues beginning at 6 pm daily, only to be back to 15-30 mbps in the morning.  Viastat is slowing my internet down to make me comply with buying Easycare.  WT.?
Photo of Lester Broussard

Lester Broussard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated to say the least

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
It is due to primetime beam congestion. It is not due to any other conspiracy theories that people come up with. It is that simple.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
What he said. It's just congestion. Nothing is wrong.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 346 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
I know it's 1 AM, but i have never hit 20 Mbps, but two tests, one 23 Mbps and the second one 20 Mbps, maybe something is starting to happen, or everyone else is in bed, and at 0146 hours, 29.78 Mbps!!!

At least i know my system is locked and loaded even with about 125 feet of cable to the pole, been this way since Wildblue days.

Now all we need is V2 to come on line.
(Edited)
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
they've been promising V2 since I joined back in their early days. I'll believe it when I see it!
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Oh, you can see it. It's just that it's about 22,000 miles away. And really small.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Ariane 5  ViaSat-2  Eutelsat-172B
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Yes, mine does the same, it is congestion. 3mbps is plenty fast to do internet stuff.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Is it fast if your household has multiple users? Does it allow for three 480p streams?

Does internet stuff include downloading large files in a timely manner?
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
I don't stream. Waste of time and money IMO. If you need that much service then the best thing to do is get on cable or fiber. I knew when I moved to the country my internet service would not be the same as it was in the city, I made adjustments.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Some of us have always lived in the country. A couple devices watching some YouTube is not something that is beyond the pale in 2018. I don’t expect 4K streaming, but I also don’t tell people 3Mbps is fast enough to do internet “stuff”. I routinely get faster than that.

We have four “solutions” that are routinely given to people’s problems.

1). Congestion- not a solution but rather a deal with the problem gracefully and be happy with what you have (the old it could be worse scenario)

2). Don’t try to do what you are doing- stop trying to stream prime time, record everything (including news that hasn’t happened?), in essence lower your expectations and you will be happier

3). Move to a place that has what you need.

4). ViaSat 2 will save us.

I’m of the belief that when customers demand more, the companies tend to respond. It’s ok for people to be dissatisfied with service that is either disappointing at times or prohibitive from doing something you would like to do.

We don’t have to beat people over the head because they would like to live using the Net like our terrestrial based service friends.

Your idea of waste is someone else’s idea of entertainment. If a customer wants to stream their data allowance, who is anyone to say how another uses theirs.
(Edited)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Yes, internet stuff is different to some people than others. My internet stuff only involves what I do on the PC. 3Mbps is fast enough to do internet stuff for me, if you need more then you need to make adjustments or seek other solutions that will be right for you. Each type of service is different, and companies do what they can to provide that service to the max it can be applied. I'm of the belief if a company is not providing what I need, I either change companies, or I make adjustments to suit my needs. And yes I routinely get faster than 3Mbps, I get 14-20 during the day. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Here are the options for most of us...

1). ViaSat
2). Hughes Net

That’s it. ViaSat is clearly better. Both have a long way to go.

My next adjustment will be like most people in the the near future. Move or jump aboard the LEO constellations coming soon.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
In English, what does LEO constellations mean to the rest of us? New sat? If so, why would they move us?
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 624 Posts
  • 234 Reply Likes
LEO (low earth orbit)  constellation=many satellites in LEO
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Thanks Michael.  Tim do a search on those.  Look at Oneweb and SpaceX.  There are others that are looking at doing the same thing, but those two seem closest to making it a reality.  Probably 2020ish.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Thanks, not in the loop on acronyms. Thought maybe Law Enforcement
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Not sure I want anything to do with SpaceX if it's a Elon Musk tax assisted scam
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
In a newscast yesterday, it said that SpaceX would be launching a new satellite for Viasat in the near future.  I assumed it would be for Viasat 3.
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Right. Slow speeds in the evening is normal due to congestion as has been said. In the evening I usually get 0.25 Mbps. During the day I see up to 10 Mbps on Liberty Pass. However, two nights ago during the evening I had over 1 Mbps which was a nice change.
Photo of David Christian

David Christian

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Exede talked me into switching from Liberty Pass and going to the Unlimited plan, Upgrading my Modem as well. Was on the phone with the guy for over an hour with complaints about the slow service. This was straight from the Tech guy Switch to the Our 25mps Unlimited plan  pay a $100.00 a month and always have 10mps or better. So stupid me did the switch. First 48 hours I had speeds over 25Mps. speeds of 15-19 during peak hours. I thought wow Exede has finally got there stuff together, its about time since I've put up with the slow speeds for 6 years  Then around 5 days later the service went to hell and start slowing down.  My question is this. Did they Prioritize my service those 1st few days ahead of everyone else so I had what the guy promised???  And then just a few days later removed me from Prioritized.  I've had several similar events in the past few years when I have had enough and Call in and spend a hour on the phone with tech support. My service magically speeds up before slowly slowing down to dial up and slower.
Photo of Rose

Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
that is exactly what they do...did the same thing to me.....it is exhausting.  they have basically oversold their services and don't care that their existing customers have zero service!!
Photo of Anita Tockey

Anita Tockey

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have a speed of .29 every evening. They promised 1-5 would be the slowest. They lied.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Are you on the Liberty Plan by chance?
Photo of Anita Tockey

Anita Tockey

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
12 gig plan with liberty pass.they told me they never sell to more customers than the system can handle,never slower than 1 to 5 mbps.they lied.every evening I cannot watch netflix.they made their service seem awesome.they lied.I will not be renewing at the end of the longest 2 yrs in my life.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
I will not be renewing at the end of the longest 2 yrs in my life.
You can always cancel and pay the termination fee.  I don't understand why people would want to continue to pay $60+ per month for something they dislike rather than pay off the termination fee and be done with it and lesson learned.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
"I'm praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do
Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you!!"
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3054 Posts
  • 1960 Reply Likes
@Anita Tockey - 12 GBs will let you watch about 3 Netflix movies in HD, then you will be on the pass.

The good news, in the next month or so, congestion in your beam will be reduced as customers move to the new VS2 satellite, which will get you that 1 to 5 Mbps during even prime times. When I was on a Liberty plan, in my not very loaded beam, I was getting around 8 Mbps during the and, and 3 Mbps average during prime time. I never had any issue with watching Netflix even during prime time. Just be patient, better times will be here for your internet in the coming months. 

Another option would be to go to a higher GB plan, if one is available to you.
Photo of Elaine Fields

Elaine Fields

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
For about 2 weeks my speeds have been slower than ever.. I'm having to use my phone data.. and it's just not just in the evenings.. I'm the only one using the internet during the day.. and only 1 other computer and only for about an hour during the evening.  This  is like dial up. Please advise.... It is NOT due to congestion... this is ALL Day Long.. and ALL EVENING long
(Edited)
Photo of David Christian

David Christian

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Try .30mps  download.  And yes its Congestion and what does Exede do advertise and lie to more and more people to come to this great service. Why does Exede keep selling to new customers when the system can't handle the ones they have?
Photo of Rose

Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You notice noone from ViaSat answers this question!!! 
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Really, Leonard, WTF?

Presumably that means, "Why That's Funny!" Because, your comment kinda is. If it means other than what I hope it does then there's a strong likelihood you're an offensive person.

I'd ban ya. But then it's not my decision.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 473 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Who is Leonard?
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
It seems most here think the problem is congestion. Simple question, Is that a hardware issue? If not, wasn't he straight out lied to as is SOP for customer service?
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 170 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
I guess it could be a hardware issue if his modem is getting really hot during the day making it slow down after a long period of time. I've had modem issues before, but when I did it just stopped connecting at all. Had to be replaced. 
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
No it just means too many people are online and jammed into the one SAT they have up in space. They oversold their service and we are the ones who have to suffer because of it. It's called "false advertising".
Photo of David Christian

David Christian

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
And they continue to lie. Running ads on TV bring more people online to this slow service.  I can't wait til a Law suit is filed it will happen someday.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
One can only hope. I doubt any class action Wil ever happen. New customers might get on new satellite but old customers look like they are SOL for a while.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
O.K. Tim.  What happened when you sent that viasatlistens email to corporate?
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Here is reply, basically nothing. So, first off, customers will not be automatically switched to the new satellite. As we've stated on the forum, the beams are opening in certain areas wave by wave. 14 the first wave, twenty or so the second, and the plan is currently to have them all opened around the end of the month, as we've stated on the forum.

You will have the option to migrate to the new satellite once the beam in your area is opened. This will require a tech to come out, install a new TRIA and modem, as well as repoint the dish. It will also require a new 24 month contract.

I understand that you were misinformed by the agent that told you that you had been moved to the new satellite back in November. I've addressed that with you on the forum. It was reported to the supervisor of that agent, as well as those in all our call centers, in order to prevent miscommunication in the future.

I know that you’ve worked with the other forum members, trying to diagnose your issues. I don’t have those threads in front of me, so please excuse my asking questions that have already been answered.

What steps have you taken in the past couple of weeks? When I ran speed tests over the past hour on your account, I got back speeds between 7 and 11 Mbps. With these speeds, you should easily be able to stream video, as long as the sites are set to auto quality, 480p or less.
Have you bypassed your router? I can see the Belkin device connected to the modem, but no other devices indicating a direct connection
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
My reply...........I have done nothing. My speed tests are consistantly well below what you say. The real proof is the poor video quality every night, I hardly ever get a chance to watch because of this. I pay for easy care and any problem I have should have been caught when tech came out. It's good to see new customers are more important than old customers. I would have to have my head examined to sign a new 2 year contract given the poor service Exede has given me over 2+ years. Is there any reason for me to stay given my beam is going to be congested for well into the future given your response? Why tell us we can change when we can not? It looks like many others have my problem and smug answers about up to 25mbps doesn't help. How does escalating this to a higher level work.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 106 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
My experience has been that new customers are always more important to this company than existing customers!
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I am going to try a couple of other services. One has a 2 week trial period with money back for unlimited download. It may not work in my area due to different cell carriers coverage. US CELL has good coverage and I may be able to create hot Spot that may work. Fool me once, shame on Exede/Viasat, no way I can accept a new 2 year contract. That seems bogus considering some of us have had terrible service that we paid full price on for over 2 years already.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1765 Posts
  • 1074 Reply Likes

Tim,

Viasat tested your speed to be between 7 and 11 Mbps so the data is arriving to your location at that speed.  Your equipment must be capable of utilizing that data efficiently or you will not experience the speed available at the Viasat modem.

Your own system can have speed bottlenecks that cause your speed to appear slower than what is available.  You apparently are using a Belkin router device.  Belkin has NO favorable reputation for making high performance networking equipment.  They are near the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to performance.  They do make wonderful, trick USB devices but networking is NOT their strong product line.  TPlink is making progress but still has a long way to go.  Netgear is rock-solid but still not performing as well as the competition. The ASUS line of routers, starting with the RT-AC68U, and  going higher, are crushing the competition.

The Network Interface Card in your computer can and will affect your speed.  I will use my own system as an example:
My computer has a built-in Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller which is a gigabit network adapter.  IT SUCKS.  Realtek does make some wonderful devices in networking and RF but their drivers for this particular device do not manage data "for beans."  It is in-efficient at loading buffers and handing data over to Windows.  It has terrible problems managing multiple connections at the same time.  It is not that my computer can't utilize the data due to any speed concerns.  My computer has an AMD FX-9590 (4.7Ghz, 8-core processor) and 32GB of 2133Mhz memory.  I run Windows 7 Pro and this machine flies, everywhere except Networking using the Realtek NIC.  I tried several different NIC's with varying results from each of them and discovered one made 10 years ago is the fastest thing I can run on this machine.  It made a HUGE difference on my speed.  It is a Hawking HWUN3 USB wireless N USB-2 dongle made in 2008.  When I connected to the Internet using my ASUS router and that USB WiFi dongle my speed made an incredible improvement with no change on Viasat's part.  I tried this same USB device on a laptop to compare against the built-in WiFi and the Hawking device was significantly faster, so the NIC alone can and will make a difference.  "Google" that adapter and get one, they're not expensive.

Everything I have described so far is CPE (customer premises equipment).   Viasat may very well be delivering speeds you would enjoy but your own equipment may not be taking full advantage of what they deliver.  Viasat has no control over your equipment so this is something you must investigate yourself. 
You can come here and talk all the dirt you want and "like" every negative comment others make against Viasat, but until you are absolutely positive your own equipment isn't the cause of your speed problem, you are pissing in the tide and causing Viasat to have less than an enthusiastic attitude about seeing your speed situation improve. 

Viasat is "lighting up" Viasat-2 but you want to be impatient, and so you are.  If you want to subscribe to HughesNet, good luck with that.  By the time you realize what a huge mistake that was, you'll be looking at plans that arrived in your area with Viasat and wonder what you were thinking when you switched to Hughes.

I myself am just tired of seeing you whine all the time, yet by your own words, you have done nothing to solve your speed situation or attempted to check your own equipment for deficiencies.  So now who's fault it that?

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
My router is a linksys 17590, speed test are on my Galaxy Tab S2. I rarely use my laptop. Hughs is not an option I am considering. Why do I pay for easy care if they don't make suggestions. You think you are tired whining. Exede/Viasat is at fault.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Just fired up lap top and ran speed test 3.3, then ran on my tablet 3.2. The only thing i have is the router and the modem. I assume the modem is yours and the router is highly rated. Time for another easy care visit.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Why did service tech say every thing was okay and that is was congestion on beam that is the problem? What am I supposed to think or do then? Just accept crap or warn others of poor service? 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
I do all of my big downloads during the late night free zone so I don't have to worry about my connection slowing down in the evening.

The evening slowdown is normal no matter what plan you are on.

When I don't have priority data my connection drops to 256k. When I do have priority data my connection is usually a few mbps during primetime and rarely 12 mbps. Completely normal.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Please tell me how to do this "big download"
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1157 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "linksys 17590"

Never heard of it; is it listed here?

Bad news for consumers with Linksys routers
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Judge, my router is a linksys WRT 1900AC, not 17590. That is whaf shows up when I connect to network
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 474 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Cbet review 4/5
If you can afford the hefty price tag, the Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi router is easily one of the best home routers on the market...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1157 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi router

So, which Viasat modem do you have?  Their WiFi modem?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
I use Internet Download Manager. I'm watching Uncle Buck right now in 720p. It's one of the movies I downloaded this morning at 3 am.

Yall can talk smack all you want, but the Liberty 12 plan is amazing.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
O.K.  Now it all comes out.  He's one of the people that thinks he should be getting 12 or 25mbs all the time.  3mbs is absolutely fine on a Sunday afternoon. There is nothing you can't do with 3mbs.  It's time you stop whining and just use your internet or fire Viasat. No wonder everyone you talk to at Viasat says things to get you to stop whining at them.  You're just so determined to blame some one else that you don't get the hint.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
It's a shame they don't make movies like Uncle Buck anymore. It should have been against the law for John Hughes to retire.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1765 Posts
  • 1074 Reply Likes
Cbet review 4/5
If you can afford the hefty price tag, the Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi router is easily one of the best home routers on the market...
Yup.. you can buy one of those consumer-grade Cisco routers that is branded Linksys, a typical status-quo router.  It is definately a "home" router, marginally good enough to use in an office. They do their job of routing but they are no ball of fire.  My choice of routers was narrowed down to 3:   ASUS, Ubiquity, or Luxul.  These are the companies that make the "Hot-Rods" of networking equipment.  As great as they are, they still depend on a system that can take what they dish-out.  No number of service calls can overcome mundane CPE.  Your connected equipment makes a difference.  

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
John Hughes retire? He is dead and has been dead for awhile now!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
True but he retired from Hollywood when John Candy died.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Another great who went way too early. At least I don't think he was on drugs like Beluishi and Farley.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
Exactly. Rumor has it that Candy and Hughes were good friends. Hughes took it pretty bad when Candy died and decided to get out of the movie business.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 50 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I, just take a cold pill, and my congestion goes away.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
I use the Neti Med sinus rinse.
Photo of David Christian

David Christian

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I had the same problem last month, January 2018 and was told the same as you.  Its your Hardware.  Exede talked me into switching from Liberty Pass and going to the Unlimited plan, Upgrading my Modem as well. Was on the phone with the guy for over an hour with complaints about the slow service. This was straight from the Tech guy Switch to the Our 25mps Unlimited plan  pay a $100.00 a month and always have 10mps or better, during peak.  So stupid me did the switch. First 48 hours I had speeds over 25Mps. speeds of 15-19 during peak hours. I thought wow Exede has finally got there stuff together, its about time since I've put up with the slow speeds for 6 years  Then around 5 days later the service went to hell and start slowing down.  My question is this. Did they Prioritize my service those 1st few days ahead of everyone else so I had what the guy promised???  And then just a few days later removed me from Prioritized.  I've had several similar events in the past few years when I have had enough and Call in and spend a hour on the phone with tech support. My service magically speeds up before slowly slowing down to dial up and slower.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
No. They didn't deprioritize you after a few days. But more people got on "unlimited", further slowing down the network.

There is a reason the "unlimited" plans are now being sold with significantly less priority data. The original "unlimited" plans offered too much priority data. So much so on some beams got impacted pretty hard. Answer? Crank down data limits so people will see faster priority data. Now, yes. People will run out of priority data much more quicker, but then deprioritization will hit and speeds will slow as expected.
Photo of David Christian

David Christian

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Well I know alot of people they are about to drive away. They can't keep advertising every day on the Radio and TV speeds of 30mps and 150gig plans for $70.00 a month.   What they are doing is criminal in many ways. They are outright lieing to new customers and screwing the old customers with their drunking actions of over loading the system.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
They don't have 150GB plans available anymore. Not for $70 and then later $100.

Last I saw a 150 GB plan, if available will be $150 for 3 months then $200+ from there.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
I know this sounds like a broken record but speeds will improve for everyone when the new satellite takes some load off of VS1.  The only thing that we can do is wait for this to happen.

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
Jim16, waiting is not a word many people just don't understand. They are a part of the "instant gratification" culture.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
I know.  And again we must keep in mind that this forum in no way represents the real world.  At least I hope not.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I am not exactly sure how some of the load will be moved. Who exactly is going to buy or upgrade to these new plans when they are not as lucrative as plans offered 6 months ago?

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser, you would be surprised how many will want to switch. Along with that, just moving the airlines in flight internet and the other commercial and military contracts will free up large amounts of the data consumption on VS1.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1762 Posts
  • 1072 Reply Likes
I am not exactly sure how some of the load will be moved. Who exactly is going to buy or upgrade to these new plans when they are not as lucrative as plans offered 6 months ago?
They'll switch to accept less to get all.    They can stand-pat and suffer the congestion with a plan that someday will perform at all hours or jump and have it now.  Impatience pays...  at least that's what I think.  This agrees with Steve Frederick, Champion's view....
Jim16, waiting is not a word many people just don't understand. They are a part of the "instant gratification" culture.
This is also how the Lottery works, take the less, lump-sum, and get it now rather than waiting.

When they go for VS-2 they will be happy and not come here crying they didn't get what they paid for.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1762 Posts
  • 1072 Reply Likes
They'll switch to accept less to get all.    They can stand-pat and suffer the congestion with a plan that someday will perform at all hours or jump and have it now.  Impatience pays...  at least that's what I think.  This agrees with Steve Frederick, Champion's view....
This is also how the Lottery works, take the less, lump-sum, and get it now rather than waiting.

When they go for VS-2 they will be happy and not come here crying they didn't get what they paid for.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I agree with the airline traffic. But to pay more and get less? How many gave up their Freedom to get "unlimited" now wish they had their Freedom back?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1762 Posts
  • 1072 Reply Likes

To give up a Freedom plan is about the most ignorant thing a person can do if they have it.  Even families with multiple users are better off by budgeting their use on that plan.  I have it and when it first appeared I about broke my mouse's left-click button clicking on "Change" to get it as it just didn't stay long and I knew that when it showed up.  Yes, I love my Freedom, it was a well-named plan.  I'm Grandfathered-in and Grampa is going to die of old age.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1762 Posts
  • 1072 Reply Likes
This "GetSatisfaction" board has problems.  My post above a couple places wasn't double-posted at first, but now, later, it is.
Photo of Owen Lars

Owen Lars

• 12 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
In my beam, before you hit your data cap, primetime speeds are between 500k and 1 megabit. After you blow the cap, you're looking at dial-up internet speeds- in the 14.4kbps - 56kpbs range (if you're really lucky). If you can still get a dial-up connection / account it's a good alternative when over the cap. 
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 346 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Fellow forum members i am doing my part in helping reduce the congestion issues.  I'm on the 25 Mbps,  150 gig silver plan and have only used 48G with one day left in my data period.  I will be teaching in the computer lab tomorrow so i may end up using only about 50 of the 150 this month.  Wish i could donate the rest.