Slow internet

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
Vary slow speed less then 1 meg on a 12meg Unlimited Plan very dissatisfied. Can't even watch a 144 p video on YouTube
Photo of Robert moreland

Robert moreland

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pissed this is ridiculous tell somebody it's an unlimited plan and then throttle them so low that they can't even use the internet

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
During primetime?
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Really shouldnt matter what time
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
Perhaps it shouldn't, but it does.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Most definitely does.

That is why they say a median speed of x where half the time speeds are below x and half the time speeds will be above x.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Does that explain this email last week, I rarely get over 2Mbps. "
Dear TIMOTHY,
From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.

Network Management Policy

Unlimited Data Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

Your current service plan (Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps) offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 25 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 25 Mbps.
The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.
On your Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps, speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 25 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. After 150 GB of data usage, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion"
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Friday 552pm 880Kbps no movies tonight,
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
PlayOn Cloud You can stream content, just not in real time.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I like real time 8:44 1.10Mbps
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
 No buffering.  You keep the file.  You can watch it whenever you want.  Other than for those who don't have the proper device with which to watch the media enjoyably, there's really no disadvantage.  

I'm contemplating buying another Raspberry Pi to use as a media center for this.  Until then, I can use my laptop.  I haven't tried PlayOn Cloud yet, but I will have by this summer.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
 No buffering.  You keep the file.  You can watch it whenever you want.  Other than for those who don't have the proper device with which to watch the media enjoyably, there's really no disadvantage.  

I'm contemplating buying another Raspberry Pi to use as a media center for this.  Until then, I can use my laptop.  I haven't tried PlayOn Cloud yet, but I will have by this summer.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
GetSat really liked my post, evidently.  :)  

I also forgot to mention that you can download the movie/TV show file whenever you want, including during the free zone for those who have it.  There's really no disadvantage to it.  PlayOn Cloud is a dream for we who have have an internet service like this.  
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@gabe , is there a way i can make a hotspot use ethernet and wifi at the same time without using a router ? any other devices i can get to use with it  since im having probs geting it to work with my router atm 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Water over the dam now: MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 4G/LTE Router AT&T T-Mobile Verizon Embedded SIM with Band 12

There is a way....a much cheaper way...explain later.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
Sorry, but I have absolutely no clue. I'm not at all familiar with hotspots.  If it has an ethernet port I would think that it should be able to do both at the same time, just like a router, but again, I don't really know.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

One must acquire the right router, then install firmware, and then it will do what Gwen is seeking....RTFM, of course

ROOter firmware for routers
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
So the Jetpack in question does have and Etheret port, but it can't do both at the same time?  I guess that makes sense, being that the Jetpack is not really a router.  
(Edited)
Photo of Robert moreland

Robert moreland

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
GabeU why pay for something else when your paying viashit for a service that you don't get
Photo of Robert moreland

Robert moreland

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
GabeU why pay for something else when your paying viashit for a service that you don't get
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Because sometimes you have to find workarounds to problems.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

Gwen's does have an Ethernet port, but others will not....USB and/or WiFi setup. On hers, apparently, once hooked via Ethernet, WiFi is turned off...which makes sense...small CPU power. 

Once mine is hooked via USB cable to desktop, no WiFi. When my hotspot is hooked direct to desktop, best performance is possible, but WiFi will work fine.  About a 1/3 speed hit with WiFi on mine, but 20Mbps vs 30Mbps difference is no big deal when watching videos and surfing.

Hers can be setup with a router. but others can not be setup with a plain old router.  For hotspots with just USB/WiFi, that ROOter firmware for routers site explains what is required.

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
@Robert moreland. GabeU is not a subscriber of Viasat but i with Hughesnet. But as Vetsat stated, sometimes one must do things to get the end result we are after.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thank you i appreciate the help 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thank you i appreciate the help 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1985 Posts
  • 1210 Reply Likes
Perhaps it's best to check out PlayOn Cloud to understand why.  It's a viable alternative to live streaming for satellite internet customers.   
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2394 Posts
  • 470 Reply Likes
Tim, Dueto the nature of satellite-based internet service, there are many variables that can affect speeds, Viasat cannot guarantee any particular speed. Network congestion is a factor.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
Really! Then why do they hype 25Mbps speeds when they can't do it? Up to???
Photo of Robert moreland

Robert moreland

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your guys internet is shit not even good anuff for Angel Soft

• 3152 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Welcome to another weekend entertainment special.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2094 Posts
  • 1266 Reply Likes
Are you not entertained!?!?!?  :)  
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 143 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Nah.  Not even entertaining anymore.    
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 16 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ok....let's see viasat explain this one...my plan just reuped...no way am I anywhere near the level to be throttled....all day nothing but buffering...so I activate my mobile hotspot....PERFECT PICTURE....NO BUFFERING LAST 3 HOURS....WHAT A PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR INTERNET SERVICE...I CAN GAURENTEE WHEN MY 24 MONTH'S ARE UP SO AM I...GONE NOW...SEE C YA...BYE! Btw I am on unlimited plan as well...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Why wait?  Why not do it now?  $15/month cancellation fee is not that much considering you are probably paying north of $100/month now for Viasat that you say doesn't even work for you.  A cancellation would pay for itself in a couple months.

I just don't get it. 
Photo of Robert moreland

Robert moreland

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Better yet bill payed yesterday still only 0.82 mb down load speed why viasat or should it be (VIASHIT) last time I checked when you pay for service in the service isn't met and they keep taking your money isn't that stealing

• 3146 Posts
  • 2025 Reply Likes
Those on the Unlimited and Freedom plans need to read the updated data policy. Those plans have depriorization when the network is saturated no matter how much data the subscriber has used in the cycle.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
In turn making those plans junk during primetime.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 129 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
If ViaSat doesn't provide the service you are looking for and expecting, vote with your feet and pocketbook.   After the policy change, there is a way out without paying Early Termination Fees.  I got it.  You've invested time to research internet providers, selected one, waited to get it scheduled and installed and now you have a hole in the roof and a ugly dish and have to do it all over again.  Not pleasant but why keep beating a dead horse?   Move on.  Sign up for fiber Gigabit internet with a 2 Terabyte throttle for $30/mo.  Oh, not available?   Me either.  I felt betrayed by Verizon Unlimited just as those affected by primetime slow speeds here.  People here will help you get around satellite shortcomings but if it's not worth it to you, vote with your feet.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Harvey

Would living in a Cork Screw House be more representative to our life experiences?
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 129 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Ja wohl!  Yes you fully expect if there is a line drawn in the sand,  you will put your toes on the line and lean over just as far as you can.   When you lean as far as possible and it has no advantage, it's time to do something different.