Slow download speeds

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
i'm on beam 319.Tested my download speed, it consistently tells me 2mbps, or 76% slower than viaSat average. Is my beam one of the congested ones? On a 10gb classic plan, afraid to change as liberty is all thats offered now, don't wanna switch if beam congestion is an issue.
Photo of Benjamin Tolin

Benjamin Tolin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Wonder what speed test website you are using?  Some Flash based sites don't handle satellite latency very well.  Try testmy.net and use a download file size of at least 12MB.   If yours is a beam congestion problem, speeds should be better in the morning, 7am -11 am.  If you are getting poor speeds all the time, check your modem status, http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus 
particularly the Rx SNR.  The higher the better, and probably should be above 6.0 in clear weather.  If that is OK, then try bypassing your router, if you are using one, and connect your computer directly to the modem to eliminate router issues.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Benjamin, I’m sorry to hear your receiving these slow speeds. Please send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com and we can check to see what could possibly be the reason for the slow speeds and assist. Thank you