Sling TV

• Praise
  • Updated 9 months ago
Just signed up for Sling TV. They have a $15 a month deal for the first 3 months so had to try it out. I’m really impressed , works just like cable or satellite TV. You have control over the streaming speed. I’ve got it set to Medium 1.2 mbps and it looks great and rarely buffers. On the “best” setting buffering occurs much more frequently. The channel selection is amazing for the price and it doesnt seem to use too much data.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, many Viasat users have neither the speed or data to use something like that
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
But what about all of you Verizon users who've yet to find their own community? ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
We have one on DSLreports!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Maybe you should use it rather than raining on Nathan's parade - heaven forbid anybody actually be satisfied with their service as their only current alternative. Go over there and gloat. So I'm guessing the never give up your Freedom war cry has been or is about to beabandoned. I know, I know... ya'll are just trying to save folks from the evil clutches of Viasat....

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I am hardly raining on Nathan's parade. I am just pointing out something as Captain Obvious. While Sling TV might be great, it isn't going to be great for users on Viasat-1 once they go over their priority data.

BTW. I wouldn't have given up my Freedom plan as it was sold to me. It was Viasat who unilaterally changed how the plan worked. Now, like Viasat, it is worthless to me. Of course others might be perfectly satisfied. I can only speak for my experience.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
And yet here you are... saving us from ourselves after being one of the more vocal supporters on returning from the conference of champions - divorces are frequently messy - stuff happens. Move on, don't look back, enjoy the better service you now have  - I will when I have the opportunity ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yep. I guess I needed a stronger prenuptial agreement. Remember Andy was a big proponent of Viasat too. Now he doesn't install it that much and as a good dealer presents his customers the best option for them.

I actually have been writing my farewell address. Not quite done yet. I want to drop it on the weekend though in case it disappears :). It will stay up longer on the weekend.
(Edited)
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Vetsat posted a very true statement, nothing to do with any other service, someone else mentions Verizon, and proceeds to tell people what they should post where....

Off topic rant;
People should be aware of any potential option they have if they are looking into satellite internet, or if they already have it. They might know about it, they might not, it might work, it might not. But, if someone doesn't suggest options that some people might not know about, people might think satellite is their only choice, get locked in a contract, and out money if they find out about a possibly better option after the fact. If someone is having consistent poor service without doing anything wrong, they should at least be asked if they know about other options.

The mods decide what should be allowed, and they are quite generous about that. Pretty sure they understand all the issues customers face, how much they pay, what they get. As said before, they can't say anything, but they get it, pretty sure. Having a happy, sterilized forum where nobody complains without real feedback and suggestions from all sides is not helpful with policy changes, decisions, etc. That is if the powers that be "care" about residential customers in the least and monitor their own sites.

Those of you with no option could simply ignore messages you don't like. Don't like mail notifications? Create message rules filtering out words or posters you don't like, sort to trash. Other than that, I'm pretty sure people are going to post what and where they feel like posting.

For instance, they have poor coverage in some places, none here, but TMobile announced invitation only, $50, always deprioritized, no cap (I think), home internet. That might be an option for some.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
That's the nature of this community. VeteranSatUser and I go way back. We jaw at each other all the time. Similarly you can ignore messages you don't like aabbcc. Just as Nathan was giving others a heads up on Sling's current deal and his experience. Even Nathan and I had our own little ignore me, ignore you exchange in the past.

Go back and you'll find my recommendation has always been satellite should be one of your last options and consider all alternatives - choose wisely.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Location, location, location.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
CO, I know, been seeing your and his posts for many years. I just have the issues mentioned above, and called you out a bit. :). Had it been in another derailed post, might not have. First sentence is what I casually observed, what was there, correct?

I am familiar with Nathan's posts as well, and responses to those in beams that aren't that great. He has a good bean, which is important. Most regulars here know that the service varies a lot between areas. Someone looking into the service might not. Therefore, I'd find Vetsat's comment quite helpful, because it might spark someone to look into what he means. Someone might search "sling", see "yep, works great" assume that's the case, and buy the service. This goes back to the rant above, accurate picture and all. Like their tv commercial, I forget the wording, but something like no more buffering video. That statement is not accurate, requires certain conditions, etc. I posted before about it *if no congestion, *if under priority data, *may need to reduce video quality, etc. Things would be easier and better if there's a more accurate picture, and it takes very little to do that.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
No problem, I'm looking forward to VeteranSatUser's farewell address which may end with - veteran sat users never die, they just fade away.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I will state PlayOn cloud, which is sort of a streaming type platform, will work perfectly with any ISP, including Viasat with any plan and no matter how much data has been used.

I can't say the same for any other streaming platform.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Many years ago, a younger person got fiber installed, and bellowed at DSL for about one more year after leaving Wildblue.  Like us existing users didn't know "what's happening."  Like us existing members weren't aware of other choices, if they existed.

Yes, most people move on when a better option exist, but there will always be the few who hammer away.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Have you tried Verizon? How's Sling on Verizon? I hear there's a 3 month deal ;)
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Performance on my Freedom plan has improved the last couple of weeks, even during congested hours. Hope this continues.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I've mentioned it before...I believe Mr Traffic Controller incorrectly twitched the dials, as based upon the effects reported here.

OC...I'm on a lonely rural VZW tower, connected with fiber, and where residents around it have fiber available.  Congestion does not exist, in past 50 days since being with VZW.  Lowest speed test is around 20Mbps, but fast.com is throttled at about 4Mbps.  I have streamed Deutsche Welle's programs without an issue at 720p, upto 1/2 hour program.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
IMO Sling appears to be one of the better "cord-cutting options". Obviously plan and data will play a big role in how helpful it is to users of our service. I still wouldn't suggest a full-on cord cutting dive in without "testing it out" for a few months to see if it works out or not. 
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
To actually post on topic, at least a little, I actually had a free trial for Sling, orange and blue.  Pretty sure it was 30 days, at least, I saw it mentioned on Slickdeals over a year ago.  It was with my slower, older Internet.  It did work fine.  But as with most things, I didn't get time to try it out much.  I did like being able to set streaming speed, it would be nice if more services did that.  Fairly responsive on a slower connection.

I looked into several services when I got the service that dare not be mentioned.  But, when I was able to negotiate the Directv bill down to almost the level of one of those services, I thought I'd wait a year to switch all the way, or at least see what things look like by then.  When the price is close, I don't see much reason to switch to online.  Hulu live/whatever was the only one that had all the locals for here (well, in state, 100 plus miles away, nothing closer anyway), and a couple other channels.  I keep tv for someone elderly that can't do anything much, or I'd get by with less.  Locals have good in state news (and there are no broadcast stations in range, so I have to pay for a service to get them at all).  Looks like Directv Now is no longer a sensible option for me.  If not needing locals, and for myself personally, I'd probably only have plain Hulu, and occasionally Netflix.  Philo has an ok, basic selection of actual channels.  I don't watch any sports.

This site lets you put in channels or shows, and it will tell you which services have them.  https://thestreamable.com/matchmaker