James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Marika

Marika

• 121 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Not bad at all, mind if I ask you to take a speed test with testmy.net? I've heard Speedtest.net isn't the most accurate, I took two speed tests one with each of the websites I just mentioned and there was a 5mbps speed difference, I took them back to back and I have data.  So, I'm just curious how different it may be for you.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 993 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
If these are typical speeds after 150gb, barring the busiest times, I’ll be very happy.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I can’t seem to getnthatbtest to work on my ipad.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Three A.M.-
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1869 Posts
  • 868 Reply Likes
Paging people who wish to complain...
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

I'll complain...

I switched to Silver Unlimited today...just did a speed test, up is 15.33, down is 4.38, I don't think that's the problem....but the TV buffers, and in short time, just freezes all together...That's not the ISP I'm paying for !   BTW...I have not exceeded my 150GB, I'm currently at 104.5GB's used.

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
What resolution are you set on? If you try streaming a higher resolution than the optimization you will see lag times. The unlimited plans also may slow during peak hours as well. 
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
slow during peak hours.... even if you have not exceeded your 150GB?  Hummm.... that must be somewhere deep in the fine print somewhere. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Not meaning like the Liberty Pass or post-150GB low priority when I say it may slow. More like how it's like on every plan and every provider. Peak hours more people are on and as a result you may not be hitting peak speeds but if you're below say half the speed that'll be a concern so we'll want you to call us at 855-463-9333
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3011 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
Silver is for SD (420p resolution or lower.) any video at higher resolution will buffer and stutter. I have the Silver plan as well and, sometimes during peak hours, YouTube set to AUTO resolution will drop it lower than 420 due to slow speeds at the moment you connect to the video server. That usually picks back up to 420 in a couple of minutes. Just how it works under ccongestion, I assume.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Ehh, what the heck happened? The bottom fell out today...

(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 993 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
That looks like typical, congested Liberty Pass speeds. Need better than that to attract customers. Multiple test yield same?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2537 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Well it is Sunday evening. I have seen this time of the week typically be the worst for beam congestion.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Yes. I’s been pretty much all day.Sigh.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I would really like to see time of day usage stats for excede. It would help in planning.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2537 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Just wait until the holiday season, we will all get a lump of coal in our stockings with regards to Exede's performance.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1869 Posts
  • 868 Reply Likes
Are you on a beam that normally had slow speeds during prime time?  One would think you would get prioritization over others on the same beam but maybe Exede messed up and sold too many unlimited plans on your beam.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3011 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
Well, 8 Pm to 10 PM, the bottom seems to fall out of it on me, even under 150 GB (still 5Mbps but, when I average 19Mbps over the last week, that's a significant drop happening nightly that didn't happen before Unlimited.) I can only assume that people on my beam are getting streaming happy during Prime Time now. 

I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better and, that Unlimited beyond 150 GB is going to look like Freedom beyond 150 GB during peak hours. Fortunately, that's only temporary, until VS2 is online.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
1 a.m.? c’MON!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1869 Posts
  • 868 Reply Likes
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2575 Posts
  • 1586 Reply Likes
With the Unlimited plans, I think  that many have gone to streaming and have gotten rid of their satellite TV services. This was to be expected and should be no surprise to anyone, including Exede.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 993 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Yep. I’ll do the same once I know for sure it’s a viable option. Not signing a new two year agreement a month later after finding out it won’t stream during prime hours. People in rural America pay much more for less. Cutting the cord had been a pipe dream that is oh so close to being reality.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Back somewhat this morning. I will stop the blow-by-blow and go to weekly recaps ‘till the new sat comes online...

Would help if I knew what beam I was under...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2537 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
James. Where are you located?
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Central,illinois
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2537 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Could be 311, 317, or 318. Illinois has those beams. Without your town, I can't get more specific but an Exede support rep can confirm the exact beam for you.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
317 & 318 are pretty low-fill beams so should have good performance. If you'd like us to have a look to see if there are other issues, ping us at exedelistens@viasat.com 
If you haven't already done so, it's always worth restarting the ol' modem when it's acting up.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3011 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
I have a friend on 318, his wife actually only got Exede so that she could work from home nights and weekends. (Husband's boss - dispatching trucks, planning loads, mapping, sending message to trucks.) Of course, she has a teen daughter so, you can guess how well that 12 GB plan lasts for them - not long LOL but, even on Liberty Pass, it doesn't slow here enough to affect her ability to work from home so, yes good beam to be on.
Photo of Joshua Serra

Joshua Serra

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Here are my results on the gold plan. It's been speedy enough to get done what I need to get done. Streaming video has been mostly ok but there have been a few hiccups.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 993 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I assume you are still in your priority data? If so, to me that’s unacceptable. I’ve noticed a trend, myself included, where we have grown accustomed to accepting subpar speeds. We know ViaSat 1 has additional capacity as demonstrated by the new plans.

Exede, crank up the thoroughput volume and let the horses run. Now that a number of people are upgrading and handling over big bucks for new plans, it’s time to deliver.

Disclaimer: I am a fairly satisfied customer, but deep down I know they are holding back even more reserve hoping to add subscribers. You know what really makes people want to subscribe? Exclusivity to something really good.
Photo of Joshua Serra

Joshua Serra

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
That's pretty much how I feel also. If I can stream (in HD) then I'm mostly satisfied. While the speed is nice on occasion, most of us aren't constantly downloading large files to really take advantage of the extra speed. I am being more forgiving then if I was on a traditional broadband connection. Given satellites limitations I'm thrilled to finally be able to mostly use the internet the way we all should be able to. My biggest gripe is the price right now. I'm paying the same for internet compared to what my home phone, internet, and cable bill used to be before we moved. Coming from a monthly 25 gig cap? Right now I'm thrilled with Exede and the service. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2537 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Yea the price. Not going to pay $150/month for silver. I would think about the price for Gold, but don't really want to spend more than $100 on internet. Still that is double what I pay today. So if that right priced plan comes along, I will bite!
Photo of Joshua Serra

Joshua Serra

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
We were on the 25gig plan which was realistically costing us $140 a month. So going to the gold plan should only be around $20 more a month or so. It was an easier choice for us than most people I'm sure. I do think what we're paying for internet is absolutely ridiculous but I don't have any other realistic options so it is what it is. I'm hoping when the new satellite is running I can get something like the $100 freedom plan (which was never offered in my area). I'm sure Exede has other plans for my bill though lol. 
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Hi Josh just to be sure are you on the unlimited plan? If so are you past 150GB? 
Photo of Joshua Serra

Joshua Serra

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm on the unlimited Gold Plan (720 streaming). I'm only 4 days into my billing cycle and have used a little over 8 gigs so far. So well under the 150 gig soft limit. 
Photo of Richard Conwell

Richard Conwell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So all this talk of speeds. Leaves me clueless. What I need to know is can I ditch dish network if I have this silver plan. 2 adult. Two fur baby home they don't care what's on tv as long as no doorbells one knocking. And for dang sure no barking. Monticello Ky
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 229 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I would never "cut the cord" and rely only on a satellite connection for streaming. You will be very disappointed. Heck, I know folks with fast cable internet who cancelled their TV subscription and ended up going back to it because streaming all their favorite programs was too unreliable.
Photo of Joshua Serra

Joshua Serra

• 42 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I agree. Cutting the cord and relying just on satellite internet probably isn’t a great idea. You’re much more likely to bump up against that cap if all of your TV watching is done over the internet.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 993 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Need more like 300gb and a taste for 480p lol.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
I would recommend if you're using something like a FireTV, Roku, ect to test it before cancelling your TV service. We did design these plans specifically to answer the demands to stream and cut the cord. However a few things would need to be considered: Would the resolution matter? We have all of the plans divided by resolution optimization. Secondly I'd check your routine speed which can easily be done with a test of your cord cutting device. If everything across the board gets a check mark then you are probably ok to cut the cord.

Once ViaSat 2 enters service early next year (just a few months at this point) we'll see some of the busier beams get some relief so if speed's an issue, you might want to keep the TV provider on for a little longer before making the plunge.
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If using a Roku TV, there is a way to change the bandwidth, not provided in the instructions.  Unfortunately,  once you close the screen and go back to Sling (or whatever streaming you use) Roku returns to "automatic" which is HD where available.
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 46 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Maybe, If you have HD with dish you may not like 'cutting the cord'. You will notice the difference. If you like your local channels make sure you can receive them with an antenna.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Most Over the Air channels will come in some HD resolution on the antenna. I think my CBS is 720 and NBC and Fox are 1080p and that'll vary in each DMA (Designated Market Area) but yeah if you want to watch HD TBS or something like that, you'll want to keep the TV subscription for now.