Silver 25MG 150GB Plan slower than Liberty 18. - Modem Settings?

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I just upgraded to the 25MB plan from the liberty 18. Speed prior to the new modem was 14mb down. After I’m lucky to get 5mb. Does anyone know of a setting that I need to change in the modem? It was escalated to L3 after filtering through the painfully generic proceess, but they never called back in the 20 minutes that they said they would..

Can anyone tell me what I should check? I tried what I can based on what I can see.

Thank you
Photo of MichiganSteelheader

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
  • lied to again

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
It's slower because suddenly you have more people using bandwidth than before when all that was available was Liberty plans. Has nothing to do with settings. Bandwidth is a finite resource.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
What's ironic is my reading/writing ability was awesome until I finished college.  My language skills and my vision have seriously deteriorated since then.  

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I paid for upgraded service, got down graded. Price went up. Is that simple enough?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2190 Posts
  • 1896 Reply Likes

"opto -throttled"

I should have patented that!

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2190 Posts
  • 1896 Reply Likes

"opto -throttled"

I should have patented that!

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
I stand corrected "opto-throttled"...

Poor White Trash, I understand garlic is good for memory and cognitive abilities.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
Which speed test and verify wired vs. wireless performance - some have noted a marked difference and reverted to using their own routers for wireless connectivity.

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Both
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Very common. Lots of reports of slower top speeds once switched to unlimited.

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
We’ll, we have an obligation to tell everyone. Tweet it, Facebook it, make sure everyone in every community knows the fine print.

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I want everyone to know that Viasat is NOT selling or promising 25MB speeds. That’s what i was told by an agent. They are selling you 150GB of data.. You are buying data, not improved bandwidth. I went form 14MG to <5 by signing up for the upgraded service.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
Al, your slower speed is due to the fact that many users switched to those unlimited plans, and are now streaming their TV and video instead of using their satellite TV systems, and are doing much more on demand streaming. This problem will soon be solved once VS2 goes live, hopefully within the next few weeks. 

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
I was thinking that also, but Al really hasn't given us the basis and timing for the speed comparisons other than a vague reference to just upgraded. Yes I wouldn't expect Al to be the straw that broke the camel's back overnight if that timeframe.

Perhaps he can clarify, but as I recall others have noted this also and have puportedly a delay before full speeds kick in - maybe dependent on a firmware upgrade occuring, maybe something else, who knows?

Regardless the silence from Viasat reps on this issue is deafening when coupled with the lack of a promised call back from Level 3... given the number of reports.

All things being equal, just swapping out the modem should have no impact on speed except for video streaming or unless he'd already consumed 150 GB on his Liberty plan.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
Bradley and Old Labs, you guys are most likely right. I don't have any experience with that combo modem/router, and hopefully I never will. I love my Surfbeam2 modem, it has only one job to do, and it does it very well.

MichiganSteelheader

• 29 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I’m not sure what else I could add to share the problem. The bandwidth issue is over wifi and Ethernet cable connected to Port 1.

It’s quite disappointing. There should be some truth in advertising violation here. Can’t improve the experience, can’t go back. There you have it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
Unfortunately there are no different settings. Not sure why performance is so different. So many variables have changed in your plan upgrade: different modem, different plan, biolt-in Wi-Fi, etc. It is just hard to say.

Wish I could help. But I appreciate you sharing ypur experience. It re-enforces my opinion not to touch the "unlimited" plans with a ten foot pole.

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3841 Reply Likes
Al,

We're trying to determine if the difference in speed was gradual over time or immediately upon on switching - are you comparing speeds you were getting months ago to what you got on switching, or are you comparing speeds from the day before you installed the new modem to what you got on installing it.

In the first case Steve Frederick's explanation would make sense (i.e. unlimited plans have increased demand and speeds have gradually declined across the board for nearly everyone). In the latter case a difference in algorithms/firmware between plans/devices would be the likely cause or more likely a bug in the algorithms.

Let's put it this way, had I taken a speed test using the old modem immediately prior to installing the new modem and then taken a speed test immediately after installing the new modem, I would not expect to see a noticeable drop in speed between the two readings within minutes of each other (I would if I were comparing it to results from a month or so ago however) - I might expect an increase in speed dependent on current network conditions but that's not guranteed on saturated beams - you only get the 25 Mbps is there's sufficient overall shared bandwidth available.

Yes, apparently you've ruled out the wireless issue others have noted - we're on to more speculation lacking an explanation from Viasat, and you never did say which speed test you were using.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
You get up to 25Mbs and downgraded video. I would stay away from those built-in Wi-Fi modems, but that is just me. I think you are stuck now for a month, and not even sure you can go back to the old modem.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
For laughs, here is a dealer selling ViaSat 2 plans.

http://www.americantv.com/viasat-2-pl...
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
That is the least informative add for VS2 that I have seen. No details other than plans with 150 GB of data may be available in some areas. So how is that news? 150 GB plans have been available from Viasat of more than a year now.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Fake news! Make Viasat great again!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Hmmm....  They are truly selling something that does not exist.