Silver 25-150 throttling

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Not Planned
I am stepping up to do my part to aid in relieving congestion by leaving ViaSat.  The policy changes to Unlimited users are as promised and I seem to get average 25 Mbps speed but unfortunately the 30 Mbps at 5 am doesn't help ease the 2 Mbps during peak times, like when I actually want to use it.  I've never gone over 40 Gb in a month .... far from the 150 Gb threshold.  I will join Old Labs and Andy Shack and others that have left.  

I found a local fixed wireless provider that offers true unlimited @ 20 Mbps. for $80 + tax.  I wish you all well and thanks for help and support from this community.  
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
  • like giving back to the community

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I had to Google fixed wireless. I am assuming it gets better reception than a portable hot spot? What do they charge for install?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Depends on location if it is available, but it is a more sophisticated installation versus a wireless hot spot.

That being said, I am now on my third month of wireless hotspot, and doing just fine without satellite internet.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
$100 install consists of a ~15 in dish that points to the nearest tower.   No contracts.  No equipment rental.  

Yes ExSatUser,  I had a Verizon hotspot before ViaSat and it worked well until you hit the data cap on their 'Unlimited' plan.  They raised prices on their data plans so it was just unaffordable.  I looked into using my hotspot and subscribing to a prepaid plan.   Nope can't do it because the 2 year old hotspot is not compatible.  Need new hardware.  I'm happy it's working for you.  I never had an issue with the equipment ... pure pricing issue and the bad taste Unlimited left me with.   
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'd be curious to know what VZ device you have, pretty much anything that is "clear" that connects to their network, LTE, will work.  All jetpacks should, going years back (mine from 2012 does).  If it's a different device that isn't a jetp., then you just temporarily use a jetp. to activate it, then move the sim to your device.

New ~poor but passable jetp. is $40 sometimes from Amazon and other stores, used, high quality, depends, $30 to $70 for very decent.  <$50 for a home lte router with ethernet out (new or open box new).

Then, using the $40 prep. refill pins on ebay for $25 each ($80 worth of refill for $50 out of pocket), or so, works out cheaper, not counting if you could add in more lines for the multiline discount.

Not saying you made a bad choice, just mentioning things....  Having an actual home internet plan might be preferable long term.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I just quickly checked into the fixed wireless in my area. Strangely enough ATT isn't available, and Verizon is but it is more expensive, data capped and average speeds are no better than what they quote for a hotspot. Looks like were I am at fixed wireless would not be a smart choice, just get a hotspot.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Congratulations Harvey for finding something better. You're fortunate that you have an alternative option to satellite.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
aabbcc    It's this one.   I put the IMEI address in the web to sign up and it kicked it back.  I do not see anywhere to put in a card.  It must be hard-wired. 

Novatel T1114 4G LTE MiFi Home Router BYOP for Verizon Bundle
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Novatel t1114.  Last I heard that did work, but, best to double check "elsewhere" if something changed.  Like I said, the sim does need activated with a jetpack first (borrow, buy, might just work to use an imei to activate outside the jetpack (which you could get from an ebay listing ~maybe, but I never tried that), but after that, doesn't matter (mine's in a Verizon Smarthub).  Checking an imei other than a jetpack doesn't work.  And you do have to disassemble that to get to the sim,didn't look too difficult (other devices are easier of course).  I ~think it takes a different size sim than recent jetpacks if I recall correctly, but you can get sim adapters, anywhere, like amazon, just plastic spacer type things, less than $5 or around there for a kit with a few.

For checking, if you decide to look into it, there's an active Verizon area on Reddit, and some on Howardforums and DSLreports, some people there probably still have these.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Good for you Harvey. I agree, I never went over my 150GB priority data either. But thanks to Viasat's draconian policy change (which doesn't impact all people on 150GB plans), I had to make a change too.

I wish Viasat the best. But I cant imagine how many customers they have now lost due to that policy change that they otherwise wouldn't have if more reasonable changes would have been enacted. Oh well. Water in the bridge now.
Photo of Bluebird

Bluebird

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
id get a new isp asap , anything is better than viacrap , i read on here a few people had good luck with the verizon jetpacks 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Strange. I've had Wildblue/Exede/Viasat for over 10 years and my service works quite well.
Photo of Janie M Minten

Janie M Minten

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am dependent on satellite internet service. To receive the local broadband wireless, I would have to put a receiver on a tall tower in my backyard. We live on a ranch in South Texas. Cell phone service is atrocious also! I now have upgraded to Unlimited Gold 12. Unlimited until you use 100 gigs and then they will throttle me! But that's better than what I had. It was 18 gigs a month. I was being choked most of the time! Sadly, I now have all of those very expensive gigabytes, but my uploads and downloads are atrocious! 

One of my biggest pet peeves is that with cloudy, rainy weather, everything goes out!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If my Viasat was 2 Mbs at peak times I would still have it. It is so strange how people's experience vary so much by location.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Not really.  Some beams are really stuffed.  Others have few subs.  I mean they have a beam that points over NYC.  You think that beam is very full???

Eastern Ohio, Central Virginia are some of the worst locations. 

Viasat-2 also failed to have the impact it was advertised as.  Do you see 25Mbps plans offered across the continental United States? 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Why have a beam right over NYC, the most populated area on the east coast? Surely the majority of those folks can get something better than satellite.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
It’s for redundancy for businesses. Also many retail chains use satellite for credit cards.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
@Exsatuser. I am literally in the heart of central Virginia on VS2. I get up to 80 mb/s on Gold 50. There is a VS2 high density beam over a large part of central Virginia that works quite well, for quite a long time now. My family member in Dinwiddie County is still on VS1 on Liberty 12/50. He gets 5 mb/s prime time and 18 mb/s off peak. That’s beam 329. I don’t think it’s accurate to constantly say that central Virginia has a problem with Viasat. I’m not doubting your personal experience, but like I said there is a very good VS2 beam over much of central Virginia.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
You are like the only user on here that ever talks about being on Viasat 2. Makes me wonder how many are even on it.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Is Viasat being used for business transactions?
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
@exsatuser I’d suspect it’s because we are all completely satisfied.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
@FMJ Viasat sells business plans for full time usage as well as subscriptions that are strictly for pay for data only when you use it. For example if there is an outage. These standby plans have a very small monthly charge. Until you use the data. Enterprise grade routers directly support a redundant backup and automatically switch providers if an outage occurs.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
I highly doubt everybody is completely satisfied.

But you just go on believing that :).
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The pro Viasat people blow my mind. Even if their experience is great, bragging about it would be cutting their own throat as we all know congestion is the enemy of satellite internet. I do notice a few of the pro Viasat crowd seem to stalk people who have had negative experiences and are pissed off.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes

While I am certainly no fan of Hughesnet either, it has over 1.3 million subs.  Viasat on the other hand has less than half that.  If Viasat was so amazing, word of mouth would travel and people would be dumping Hughesnet for Viasat.  That isn't happening. 

While I think Viasat has more advanced technology, it has constantly underperformed in the residential satellite internet market.  Viasat-1 was to have the capability to serve 1 million subs.  It never got close to being filled.  Viasat-2 was suppose to bring 25Mbps to the entire continental United States.  That didn't happen either. 

Honestly, I think the company is moving on from U.S. residential satellite internet market.  They are looking to provide their service now in other countries, and pushing to get a greater market share of the internet within the airline industries.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  Diversify and go where the greatest revenue streams can be generated.  As fiber and wireless internet coverage expands in this country there are only going to be so many subs to fight over.  I mean put Hughesnet and Viasat residential subs together and you have less than 2 million subs.  That isn't a very big marketplace.  
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We have been on silver for one month. Switched from liberty 25. There is no observable increase in speed. Should I run a speed test? Should I contact Viasat? Central Virginia.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Why did you expect the speed to increase?
Photo of Janie M Minten

Janie M Minten

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Speeds don't increase! You just have more gigabytes to use per month if you can get reception. Heavy clouds and rain knock it out! I pay a huge amount for Unlimited Gold and spend most of my time waiting for it to work!
(Edited)
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
According to their Compare Plans bronze is “up to” 12mbps Silver “up to” 25mbps and gold “up to” 30mbps. It is my understanding this is done centrally because the equipment doesn’t change and you can switch anytime.

We were on liberty and I can see no observable increase in speeds with the new plan.

Thinking of going bronze to see if it is slower.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Central Virginia is notorious for bad service from Viasat. Spend as little money as possible and hope for an alternative.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Personally I would have stayed with the Liberty plan you had. Pay the least amount of money you have to.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
@Will Seemore. Central Va is not notorious for bad service. I wish you all would stop repeating this everyday!
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Me thinks Viasat has a plant LOL he knows way too much about the backend of how things work. And reason hes the only one still here saying hes on Viasat 2 is because the rest have left over slow speeds and the constant cutting your speed down to dial up speeds when they want you to change to a more expensive plan 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Me thinks Viasat has a plant LOL he knows way too much about the backend of how things work. And reason hes the only one still here saying hes on Viasat 2 is because the rest have left over slow speeds and the constant cutting your speed down to dial up speeds when they want you to change to a more expensive plan 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yes Hope the speed you get will be the same no matter what package you pick if its on the same sat (Viasat or Viasat 2)  your max amount of data will go up since none of them are actually unlimited 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Nathan isnt a plant. He is a fanboy, but not a plant.

Everyone is entitled to share their experience and opinion of the service. Just like Nathan doesn't like people saying anything bad about Viasat, others having nothing good to say about them.

Do your research. Experiences will vary, but location and the satellite you are on will play a critical role on your Viasat experience.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
@Will Seemore. Central Va is not notorious for bad service. I wish you all would stop repeating this everyday!

I guess my memory is better than yours. A lot of people in here say negative things about beam 329 which is supposedly Central Va. Many of those people have left for Verizon and ATT. As far as doing research I can honestly say the bad press wasn't out there for satellite internet when I first had it. It was just gamers complaining and people who used a lot of data getting throttled or having to buy extra. Nobody was posting poor speeds back then. Even reading up I had no idea how bad it could be. Fast forward to 2019 and the bad press is all over the place.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
When Viasat offered "unlimited" plans in the fall of 2017, that is when the water got muddied. They basically did it to themselves. The Classic plans you knew where you stood. Over the limit? Bam slow speeds. Now on some plans you could have slow speeds no matter how much data you have used.

I was fortunate. I got off satellite internet and have been doing fine without it. But I can under the frustrations people still have with it, especially when they dont understand the limitations of satellite internet.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Funny thing is one month Windows 10 ate up our data in the first week. So we decided to tough it out on slow speed before we paid $10/gig. We did not notice ANY slower speeds than usual and made it to the end of the cycle with no problem. I believe the old plan was using the new satellite but I cannot prove it.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Which satellite you are on is easy to figure out. Triangular modem means you are on VS2. VS1 satellite uses the box like modem.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Should I expect better speed on VS2? Nothing scientific but no observable increase in speed after switching.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Well we first have to establish if you are on Viasat-2.  But depending on the plan, yes.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Got the new triangular teepee modem a month ago. According to Steve Frederick that means I’m on vs2

Old plan speeds “up to” match new plan Bronze so we decided to try Silver which states speeds “up to” 25. Can’t see any difference.

Might downgrade to bronze and see what happens. But I guess I should download a pc app to test speeds first. Any recommendations on a speed test?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Yes you have Viasat-2. But unless you are on one of its high density beams (i.e. available to get a Gold or Platinum plan), I am not sure how much difference you will see between Viasat-1 and Viasat-2 performance. My advice is to get the cheapest plan you can. I mean, the only difference is priority data and lower video resolution (but there are ways around that) when comparing many Bronze and Silver plans. The speed stuff is all relative.

Use Testmy.net to test your performance. I had satellite internet for over 20 years, and I found it the most reliable.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
What was satellite internet like 20 years ago? 20 years ago I had 786 Kps DSL. I even lived in the city in So Cal and didn't get DSL till the late 90's. I first started with dialup in 1994.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1587 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
20 years ago I would get 250 - 300kbps download. 20 years later with Viasat during primetime (after the January policy change), I got 250- 300kbps during primetime.

So to answer the question, at times it was no different than today!
(Edited)
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Seems like I'm getting the advertised speeds according to testmy.net