Signal Quality?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old post

Today when my installer was here he hooked up his laptop to my modem and went to a website I guess to check the signal quality of the dish to see if it was getting the best signal possible...Can I the user have access to that site too see how good my signal is? he said my signal was about a 7 and should be about a 9 when it is sunny outside! Also my installer didnt drive a exede vehicle or directv he just drove a ford truck and he had on a shirt and jeans! He said he was contracted out! But if anyone has that website I would love to have it! Thanks!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi mferner,
There are special codes and passwords for the licensed installer to use while setting up some of the deeper settings and your account info.

If you want to check the current power/ stats of your modem/ dish use this any time you need to:
http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

Just click the link and it will show your modem's live status. If you notice anything you don't understand, just ask.

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Thanks
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi mferner, Our installers are contracted by 3rd parties such as dealers in your local area. They will not always drive a company vehicle for that dealer but use their personal vehicle. The link that Everett shared should give you the information you are asking for. If you have any other questions please let me know. =) 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Thanks My modem signal is 7.8 DB Now! I wasnt the happiest with the way they put in the dish it was beeping and all but they didnt even move it slowing to try and get the best signal but so far other than a rain storm I havent had any problems surfing the web!

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi,
You can micro adjust the dish to the receiver while listening to the tone. If possible, you could have someone watch the modem status page while you make the small adjustments.

It should get to where there is a solid tone and I think the angle of the dish is about 41 degrees. Check this angle as to your location, 41 deg. is Colorado I believe.

Maybe someone else will post more info on this. I have not had to do it, but I know it can be done.

Everett
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Rx SNR of 7.8 is very good. Many people have reported that anything 3.0 and above does not seem to affect the operation of the internet. Mine averages between 6.0 and 9.0 depending on the weather. Also, the location within the signal beam can effect the signal strength, depending on whether you are in the center of the beam or near the outer fringes.

You can see the beams by checking on the beam map here https://www.wildbluetools.com/content/dealer/email/Beam_map-high-mid-low.html
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
right now its 3.8db but it is raining outside! My signal may be good I will have to wait and see tomorrow when it is sunny and clear outside! I Just wanted to make sure I had the best signal quality I could get! But other then The Modem going out during rain storms I have had no trouble! I do have a question about billing, Do they charge your credit card on the due date? Or when do they take the money off the card? Also It says there is free web surfing so that means when the pages load it doesnt use data? Only when I download stuff right? Like it doesn't charge when I go to facebook and all the images pop up Just when I download things!

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Hi mferner,

I take it you are on the Evolution plan. You don't get charged for downloading webpages, however, any picture content, flash ads, embedded videos do count toward your data allotment. Facebook is loaded with the chargeable data, and videos galore. Bad thing about the videos is that the will download and start to play even if you don't click on them, but you can go into your FB profile settings and check the box that disables autoplay of the videos. Also, you can save lots of data by using the AdBlockPlus and FlashBlock add ons to your browsers. These get rid of annoying advertisements, and any Flash thingies won't download or play until you click  on the "f" logo. Also, check out this thread in this forum for other data saving tips.  https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

As for the credit card payment, it is charged on the 1st day of your new month of usage.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Steve yeah I get 15GB for 6 months and than 5GB afterwards! Yeah I have autoplay off on facebook! Thanks for the info!

Marcus
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
On a side note, our Evolution plan has been permanently booted to a 10GB cap. (:
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
so that means after 6 months I can go to a 10GB plan instead of 20GB?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Ray Jackson when they put it in it was cloudy! On sunny days like today my modem averages 7.5DB! The guy that put it in was contracted out and he didnt repeak it he just made sure I had enough signal to get online! But other then rain i havent had any problems my service is fast!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Ray, well so far so good! But If I have alot of trouble with it during rain storms then I will tap my laptop and go to the modem page and go out there and adjust it myself until I get the best modem signal! Or either call them and come out and peak it!

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Marcus,
I would try to gently tweak it. If the weather and clouds where bad during the install, the installer might not have been able to get a good straight to the can in the sky signal.

I would say particularly if you can have someone watch the Modems Stats as you do it. Or maybe a laptop on WiFi. It should not take much movement.

Don't break your neck ! But if you do, can I have the Gig's left in your account? ☺☺

Everett
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yeah i have a laptop on wifi! and I will not break my neck at all! But I do that would be up to exede if you can have my 14 gigs left LOL

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
COOL !
I will have to send Exede-Kimberly a box of chocolates.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yes sir
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Everett I went outside today in sunny weather and turn the dish on the poll a little each way and the best I could get the modem signal was 7.5db and its currently 7.3DB I didnt adjust the dish to put up or down because I dont wanna make it where I lose signal completely so I just turn the dish on the poll and got it to 7.5DB and thats the best I could get it! there are branches and stuff kinda of in the area that it is pointing but to me it has a pretty clear view of the southern sky! so Im not gonna worry about it! Maybe in the future if I have trouble with something and have someone come out here I will get them to see if they can get it better!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
FWIW, when standing behind the dish don't check line of sight by where the TRIA arm is pointing. Instead, there are a couple of adjustment plates on the back of the dish that can be used to sort of eyeball the line of sight. The dish collects the signals and bounces them to the TRIA at an angle - a bank shot if you will (or so I'm told). Trees can cause problems - which is why I'm planning some tree work before the spring's new growth emerges. Then again depending on how far you are from the center of the beam, that may be an optimal signal. 
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Lab Rescuer I just moved the dish back and forth and I had my laptop with the modem page pulled up and went off that! I know nothing about adjusting the dish and stuff! So I got 7.5db and it works well except during storms! So Im not gonna mess with it anymore! I will let a tech person do it!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Whatever you do don't let my pal Everett talk you into the Pringles can trick - I tried it and all I get is the Dog Channel - the dogs are happy, I'm not ;)
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
ha ha ok
Photo of Elijah Jackson

Elijah Jackson

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

My installer put up the satellite directly in front of a willow tree.  my signal strength is variable and my connection cuts in and out.  Would this inhibit signal strength and should i call to have it moved to a better location?  Why would someone put in the satellite directly in front of a tree???

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Trees do block or drastically reduce your signal strength. You would be best to have the dish moved to a location that has a clear view of  the satellite. Send a n email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and a phone number. One of the moderators will help you get this fixed.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Elijah, that is strange that your installer would install your dish facing the trees. If there is not a clear line of sight, you can still gain access to the internet but signal quality may fade in and out which could cause intermittent connectivity along with some other issues. I would suggest to allow us to set up a new service call to send a tech out and review the install and possibly adjust if necessary. You can either call our Customer Care line at 1-855-463-9333 or you can send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.