Should I switch

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Hello all,

Here is my problem. The only internet I have
available is 1.5 mbps DSL service from AT&T. Now, I stumbled upon
Exede's website and found I am "qualified" for their "unlimited" plans. I realize it isn't really unlimited because HughsNet does the exact same thing: allow you to keep using your internet service even after you have gone over your monthly data allowance at an extremely reduced speed. However, assuming they are not lying (which is a disturbingly common thing these days, go government!), Exede allows you the full speed even after going over the 150mbps cap as long as there is not network congestion. So at the 12 mbps, the offer is attractive to me.

This is before I looked up reviews on Exede. I have stumbled upon reviews claiming extremely poor customer support to the company outright trying to steal from customers, taking money from their accounts that they have no right to. There are reviews of the company falsifying customer's data usage to hurry along their data usage to their cap. Some within days of it being reset.

I have stable 1.5 mbps DSL internet from AT&T. I pay $55/mo for it. They will probably not bring U-Verse to where I live simply for the fact that they are already charging me U-Verse price, so there is absolutely no reason to do it as they are literally our only internet provider that isn't satellite or dial-up.

So here are my questions:

1: What are the actual affects of having such a large ping beyond being bad for competitive multiplayer gaming?
2: Do the speeds stay consistent around what they advertise?
3: To anyone else who has the unlimited plans, how often do they tend to throttle you after you have gone over the 150gb cap?
4: I noticed that their recommended video streaming quality is 360p for the 12mbps unlimited plan. Why is this? I have absolutely no trouble streaming that right now with a 1.5mbps speed, assuming I am not using the internet for other things.
5: What has your experience been with your internet during weather?
6: How good/bad has your experience been with Exede?
7: Do you think it is worth it for me to switch?

I would ask a sales representative these questions, but there is a definite conflict of interest there for that. I trust them not to lie to me as much as your average politician.  Granted the same can be said for this forum, but I am posting this in other places too.

Thank you very much for your help!
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
So much depends on your beam and, that is determined by where you live. A representative or install will be able to tell you what beam you are on or, you can look at the beam map here: https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1207572/RackMultipart20150519-32063-1cyf5pk-beam_pri...

High latency (ping) affects gaming the most. Some VPNs may not work with it and, some VOIP services work poorly with Exede.

Speeds can vary by time of day and, by beam, the busier the beam (higher congestion) the slower it is for everyone at the time. Personally, on my beam I do see at or near advertised speed ans, sometimes over the advertised speed 85-90% of the time. High congestion for my beam knocks me down to around 10 Mbps (I am on a 25 Mbps plan) and, rarely, like a couple of times a year) it gets bad enough to drop me to 4 Mbps for a few hours, but that is always short lived and, even that lets me surf and stream in SD just fine.

As for the Unlimited plans, yes, it's true you don't get slowed except for congestion even if you use more than 150 GB in a month. There are customers that have used close to double that and are still seeing top speeds off peak hours.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 796 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
That beam map is prohibitively tiny.  By the time you zoom in enough to be able to read anything the characters are too blurry to be able to make out.  

With that said, I understand that it is what it is and it's better than nothing.  

Found a clearer one...  https://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png
(Edited)
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Here is the one I looked at:

http://www.starcourse.com/pdf/exede-beams.pdf

2nd page.
(Edited)
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have found which beam I would be on, though that does not really help much.  Searching around, it does not seem like there is a way to check before-hand what the traffic on it is like.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1280 Reply Likes
Ask here, you will find other users on that beam and, a lot of us are somewhat familiar with what it's like on different beams.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Looked like beam 349.  I have only found one comment about it on these forums about DNS issues.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 70 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat , I currently have a T1 that gives me 1.5 mbps and costs me about 7 times as much as your paying per month . I have been watching and waiting on Exede for over a year now , They have made huge, huge  strides in the last year with their plans and offerings but its just not quite there yet for me to make the jump. If you read all the posts here you will see a common theme in the answers about poor performance and speed, all say it will get better when Vsat2 comes online. I actually do believe that but that's not an answer for someone who signed up now . As I said I have watched, I have seen them not allow new subscribers in my area to offering an unlimited plan in about a 3 month time period , Its my opinion right now they are close to or at capacity for their customers on the current satellite in most beams , I have someone that has a gold unlimited plan in my area and runs a test every 15 mins and its consistently 11 mbps down and 4 up and drops to 1-2 Mbps every evening from 5 pm until about 2 am. You will see most responses refer to a congested beam , again I believe that to be true . I do think Vsat2 will alleviate most of that when it comes online . I will tell you that if your connection is stable wait a couple months until Vsat2 comes online  in JAN/FEB and revisit then, that is what I'm going to do .........   satellite definitely has its downside, most VPN's don't perform well, it can be affected by weather. I do think that satellite will be the answer for most rural areas as both Verizon and ATT have just about stopped any copper buildouts and unless your in a metro or densely populated area fiber is out, and then there is wireless,the jury is still out on that.. What will happen to the satellite industry?  Its going to change drastically and quickly  , Best analogy I can give is remember those 10 ft dishes and what happened when Directv and Dish started offering those little dishes, now the 10 ft dishes are yard art     
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

BBwithdrawls
If you read all the posts here you will see a common theme in the answers about poor performance and speed

That does seem the case.  I have also been around the forum and seen many complaints about terrible customer support.  I just finished reading the contract and did not see anything in there I did not expect, so I don't know what to think.

As for the ViaSat 2 satellites, It is true that it may help things a bit, but I think it will only be temporary.  I believe there are a lot of potential people stuck with slow internet that do not want to make the switch to satellite because of its reputation.  If the new satellites help smooth things out, it will probably attract an influx of new customers and soon they may be filled to capacity as well.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I don't believe 349 is as congested as other beams. However, you do need to take into account high latency, which will kill you on FPS games, non-HD video resolution, and more $$$$ per month if you want on an unlimited plan.

Another trick to check you beam congestion is look what Plans are offered. If Gold is offered and Silver is offered for $99/month, that isn't bad. If you see only Silver offered at $150/month, I would be wary at this time. Also keep in mind everything changes once Viasat-2 is in operation in the next 3 - 4 months. Personally, I would wait making the switch until then at least to see what is offered because there will be changes and you will need new equipment to get on Viasat-2.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

They offer me Bronze for $70, Silver for $100, and Gold for $150.  The Gold is obviously very much not worth it for the 5mbps increase for an extra $50.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I was not going to even think of switching until I am certain I want to.  All the DSL lines for 1.5mbps from AT&T are full where I am, as well as anything higher.  The moment I terminate my 1.5 service, someone else will snatch it up.

Not to mention that 2-year commitment contract.  $360 early termination fee is nothing to laugh at.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
With Gold offered you are not on a congested beam.

A lot of the service experiences are like what others have said. Resukts vary GREATLY, and understanding your location is half the battle.

There would be nothing wrong with switching now, but you will have more plan options most likely when the new bird hits. Then if you want on it, you will need to swap out your modem and true after only being in service a couple months.
Photo of Colt Langham

Colt Langham

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Be careful, in the beginning I was promised that I could be on a unlimited bronze plan. The website said I was also eligible for it but instead I'm locked into a silver plan where the only way to get unlimited is for 150/month. I only found this out after contacting several reps and eventually the only real answer I could find is the my particular spot has a limited beam. I've very displeased with the level of service and almost a bait and switch type of situation. Just be careful
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Personally, I would wait making the switch until then at least to see what is offered because there will be changes and you will need new equipment to get on Viasat-2.
Won't Viasat give you the new equipment when you want to change to Viasat-2?  Since it's being leased anyway, it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3699 Posts
  • 3717 Reply Likes
Nothing has really been made public about the upgrade process regarding moving from ViaSat-1 to ViaSat-2 other that it will require new equipment and an installer visit.

Whether that will involve a new 2-year commitment, charges to cover the installer visit, or whether Easy Care covers it, etc. hasn't really been announced yet (although you'll find a lot of wishing and hoping here). At best for new customers today it would involve two installer visits.      
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
That doesn't sound too bad (for new customers) since they currently give you 3 months of EasyCare for free.

* I don't have Viasat internet yet, still researching.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3699 Posts
  • 3717 Reply Likes
As noted, it hasn't been made clear whether EasyCare would even cover it - nor has anything been made public regarding the overall upgrade process other than an installer visit will be required.

When moving from Wildblue to Exede there was a new 2 year commitment for me as well as an installation charge (despite the fact that both were Viasat offerings at the time). Installers (out side of a few in Colorado) don't work for Viasat - they're going to want to get paid in one way or another (regardless of how it's folded into the process or paid directly by the consumer). That advice offered by VeteranSatUser was from that perspective - avoiding any unforeseen charges a few months apart. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3699 Posts
  • 3717 Reply Likes
FWIW, bith VeteranSatUser and I are technically not "Viasat" subscribers and subscribew through a wholesale channel (NRTC). As such, despite using the service we would need to become "new" subscribers in order to get the "unlimited" plans since they aren't offered through the wholesale channel. Both he and I are simp;ly waiting for ViaSat-2 service to launch before switching - to avoid any duplicate install charges or others.        
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
I see, thanks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I also am looking it from a basic resources prospective. Why use a new tria and modem for less than 6 months, then discard it. That is just a waste of supplies and materials.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2137 Posts
  • 1058 Reply Likes
Unless you live in Louisiana, I would wait a few months for Viasat 2 to launch.  I'm on whatever beam covers Louisiana and its awesome.  So far this month I've downloaded 242 GB on a Liberty 12 plan.

People on other beams seem to complain a lot, even those on unlimited plans.  
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

It looks like Louisiana is split among beams 339, 340, 347, and 348.  A small section of northern Louisiana shares beam 332 with Arkansas.  Only a very small part of the south-eastern tip shares 349 with Mississippi.

I have definitely noticed the complaints, which is one of the reasons I am on here getting opinions.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Good area, all of those beams are light to moderately subscribed, With Gold available, your beam is lighter than mine - you're good. Go for it.  I'm on 332 by the way so, just north of you.

If you can, try to get Digital Media out of Bossier to do the install, they are good and, I ask for them by name even up here, they come service my system when needed. Tell Dion the Arkansas pain the rump lady sent you to them LOL (he spent 2 hours trying to get a better SNR for me, maxed it a just over 7 on a clear day - beats the average of 6 around here. That guy tried replacing everything to get that SNR, Modem, TRIA, cable, even the dish itself.)

You won't be sorry, you're in a good beam, better than mine. And yes Viasat 2 is coming soon but, it's going to pull some of the load off Viasat 1 and, we will be golden down here.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Wait. Please wait until ViaSat 2 comes out with plans. Then look at the feedback and make a decision. Enjoy steady dsl till then.

I’m happy with Exede, but I would switch to what you have if I could.
(Edited)
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

If you don't mind my asking, why would you switch to my 1.5mbps DSL connection?  I am here to try and make sure that by switching to Exede, I am not dropping a bad internet service for a worse internet service.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Unlimited data with a stable connection. Exede is a good service, but it doesn’t beat stable dsl. A consistent speed that is acceptable will be more satisfying than one that is usually higher but sometimes borders unusable.

Both are serviceable. Just wait and see what ViaSat 2 holds. Probably late January or February.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I never said I didn't have a data cap.  I have one at 150gb/mo.  It is just really hard for someone with a download speed of 150kb/s to hit that in a month without using the internet at a near-constant rate.  To put it in perspective, it would take me about a week to download 50GB worth of data with the download going constantly.

So I do have a cap.  It would just take near-deliberate effort on my part to hit it.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Sorry then. If you have a cap already, don’t game, and can stand fluctuations, switch and don’t look back.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Well, I do game, just not online very often.  I don't mind the fluctuations as long as they don't drop below what I have now.  150kb/s is already so slow.  Any worse and I would be driven crazy.

I have been so spoiled.  I still remember having dial-up.  That oh so slow 3kb/s download.  The horror.

Unfortunately, you won't find many ISPs without data caps these days.  It is a pretty common trend they use to squeeze more money out of customers with different plans.  An unfortunate consequence of the monopolistic nature of the market that is internet service.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

@ Colton,

You now have a crappy connection from a crappy company.  I saw above the general part of the country you are in.  You would like to know what the beam load is on the one that will service you.  There's a way to get an idea how loaded up it may be.  Where are the current subscribers?  That is, where is the population density located that would be using satellite because nothing else is available?  You live there so you can pretty much figure out the places that have an alternative so you can count them out.  I live in the mountains outside of San Jose Ca, and I knew my beam wasn't going to be heavily loaded simply because this is Silicon Valley, there are about 48 ISP's here and most people in this area live where Satellite is not needed so beam 369 is not bad and that was obvious going in with Exede. 

No matter, the Exede connection will be superior to what you have.  Some may say to wait for ViaSat-2 but I don't see that as a game-stopper at this time.  I know ViaSat-1 has good capabilities, even able to provide 100Mb/sec connections.  There may be some exotic things ViaSat-2 will be capable of that ViaSat-1 can't handle but that may be limited to broadcast network type connections where six 250Mb/sec synchronous connections may be needed in an area to cover major news or sporting events.  Exede has already stated that customers can expect just about the same plans no matter which satellite they are on.

For now your speed will be about 8 times faster than you now have and it will be dependable but not necessarily consistent during different parts of the day.  Whatever speeds happen to end up being, at least most of the time, and I do mean most of the time, you will have a better Internet experience with Exede.  The beam that serves you may not be loaded much at all and if that happens to be, you will have a tremendous improvement in your Internet enjoyment.  I don't see signing up with Exede to be a risk.  If for some reason right out of left field  Exede can't give you near full speed most of the time, you only have to have patience for about 2 months and that's about when ViaSat-2 will be operational and then all these speed issues are going to go the way of the wagon wheel.

Bottom line:  It's your decision.

Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I have Liberty 25 and I used my data up in 3 days and that's watching video at 360..one person! The speed after that is so bad you can't even watch video period!
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I have Liberty 25 and I used my data up in 3 days and that's watching video at 360..one person! The speed after that is so bad you can't even watch video period!
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you for your reply.

This is another one of my big worries.  You should not be able to use up 25 GB in less than a week unless your internet is being used constantly.  That is beyond ridiculous.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I used 25gb this weekend. Updated Windows 10, installed office 365, installed IOS 11.2 on 5 devices, downloaded movies, streamed shows, and even surfed the web.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I stand corrected.

Casual use, such as watching videos, browsing the web, and social media things, should not let you use up that much in less than a week.

If you are downloading actual files, let alone entire operating systems, that is a different story.

I cannot remember if Windows 10 still has it as a "feature", but you should always keep the Metered option on if your internet has a data cap.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
It does and you are correct. My data resets this week and I have 100GB more to burn. Xbox game pass, here I come....
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

That was mostly what I was worried about.  That and the issue of weather.  Is simple cloud cover sufficient enough to interrupt internet service from the satellite?  What about light rain?  I live by the gulf.  We only have good weather about 50% of the time.  Is it safe to say that if our satellite tv is not getting a signal, neither would the internet?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1686 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

I have never had my Internet go out in a storm and last winter we had some good ones.  If you lived where there is snow, that's something that can pile up on your dish and make a chore for you to do as needed, cleaning off the dish.  If someone has a dish that is not pointed correctly but still able to function, a heavy rain will impact service.  Last winter we had so much rain that parts of San Jose flooded.  Look up how often that happens, it's rare, but all that rain here in the hills didn't phase my Internet.  I was home looking at the floods using my Internet and had to laugh at the news people that assured everyone that the worst was over... ha ha, they lied, often.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1280 Reply Likes
In the last two months here, (just north of Texarkana) I have not lost service once due to weather and, being this close to you, that's pretty much the weather you've seen as well.

Over the last year, two outages for weather and, nether one lasted more than half an hour. The worst of the rain spinning off the hurricanes did get me for a few minutes, but, that was short lived.

I've had Exede, or WildBlue Internet since 2004 and, I've had less that 1% down time due to weather or, any other cause. (I do have a generator that powers my system in the event of a power outage.)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Heavy rain can drown both signals out, but I find my tv goes out way more than the internet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
All depends on your location to beam center on how you are impacted by weather. If you are in the beam's fringe, you will have a lower signal and there it can get drown out in the weather easier.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you all for your help.

I think I am going to wait for the new satellites to come online and browse around other forums about Exede in the meantime.  There is no real harm in waiting and doing extra research.

Again, thank you all for your assistance.  It was very much appreciated.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I concur with you. While I could upgrade now to the newer plans, I just can't justify doing it for just a few months before all the new stuff is available.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
only a fool with ditch dsl for satellite internet  sorry I wont sugar coat it.. if any doubts google exede and hughsnet 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 297 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I guess you didn't read what kind of DSL service is available for Colton. Exede blows it out of the water.
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I would rather have 1.5 mbps dsl than 50 mbps satellite because of latency and data issues with satellite.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you for your reply.

I did google them both.  That is why I am on here as well as other forums trying to figure what is true and what is just people getting upset because they did not understand something.

I have found people upset that they were not home when the installation person came around for their install, and when they returned home they had new holes in their wall.  It said that in the contract they signed.  Some complain about the early termination fee.  Also says it in the contract.  There were people angry because they had to cut down trees or pay fees to have their dish setup in areas that was not attached to their house.  Again, in the contract.

Some vent that the customer service is terrible.  That is one of my worries.  But I have a few dealers around me to complain to, so I can always visit them if it becomes necessary.

Some do legitimately have complaints about speed and/or data issues.  That is also my worry.  But even then, those people complaining about the speeds they are getting still have a higher speed than me.  Though, I would be pretty upset if I were not getting around the service I was paying for most of the time too.

But yes, I am taking this slow.  I am certainly not giving up my DSL line until I am certain the internet service can hold up to my expectations, even if I have to pay for both for the first few months.  Though, that early termination fee is going to hurt should I decide satellite is not for me.
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
also most providers are phaseing out dsl ,so once you get rid of it they most likely will not hook it back up, at least that is how centurylink,att and a few others do it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Installation experiences are all over the map because so many different people and companies do them. If you have a local dealer to rely on, go through them. Perhaps they also have a trial system setup where you can give its test run too.

I think the thing you might struggle with most is the latency if you do much online gaming, and if you are a fan of streaming, it will be hard to get HD quality video. Some people think they are fine with 320 or 480p, but that is so 2004.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I still don't understand why people would have trouble streaming over 320p.  That is my default streaming quality and I am on 1.5mbps.  I do not buffer unless I am doing other things with the internet at the same time.  Logically, with even 6mbps, people should have no trouble streaming 720p.

Does Viasat limit video quality on their end?  In others words, do they forcefully degrade video quality down to a specific quality regardless of what you pick on your end?

I found this:
https://www.exede.com/blog/everything-need-know-video-data-extender/
But they say you can turn it off if you want to watch higher quality.  So I am at a loss as to why people have trouble streaming HD video.

Also, I do not play very much online gaming.  Granted, that has more to do with my lack of speed than the lack of desire to do so, but I can get by.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
They limit video quality based on your plan. Some plans have the option to turn the video optimization off.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
The Unlimited plans do force video optimization at whatever the setting is for that plan. Those of us with Unlimited plans cannot turn that off. Plans with data caps that get hard throttled for exceeding the cap can turn video optimization off.

it's a trade off, either have limited data before you get hard throttled and, slow speed regardless of beam utilization or, have  Viasat control your video quality but, no hard data cap and, only slowed after you use 150 GB if your beam is congested at the time.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Ah.  Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
As always Bev provides a very detailed and correct response.

Since your beam isn't too congested, Liberty might be a better option for you. You can turn off the video downgrader and should still get comparable speeds to what you have now.

IMHO the unlimited plans are overhyped and over priced, especially for what you get.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
That really depends on what you like to do most online and, on what other plans are available to you.

For my family, it's a good deal. We want videos on mobile devices and, computer monitors mostly as well as email, browsing , social media and, downloading games, TV series and audio books to enjoy later. Prior to Unlimited Silver being made available, Liberty 50 was the best plan available here and, most months we were right on or, a bit over the 50 GB limit. Only 40.00 more per month (that's just 4 GB if we had to but more on the Liberty 50 plan.) we get 150 GB at priority speeds and, only slowed if the beam is congested after that.

Odds are we will never hit the 150 GB soft cap but, even if we do, much of the day is going to give us good speeds anyway on this beam. So, for us Unlimited Silver is a great option.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes

That would be "standard definition" video.  But since you are watching on mobile devices and computers, not that big of deal.  But I can do what you are talking about for $100/less month AND get HD video using the Free Zone. 

So....again, overpriced and overhyped....but that is just my opinion :)

Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
The free zone is only from 3 am to 6 am
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Not on the old Classic plan. I get 5 hpurs per day from midnight to 5;00am.
(Edited)
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, I cannot get anything but the Unlimited plans because that is all they offer in my area.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Are you sure they don't offer you the Liberty plan as an option?
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
They only offer the unlimited plans when I search my zip code.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
There are SOME areas that's the case. These are our least busy beams so they have nothing but unlimited available. Other than video quality restrictions, the plans go beyond what some consider our best plan the Freedom plan. It lets you surpass that 150GB limit. Keep in mind the video resolution restriction is for streaming but if like you download a video to watch it'll be the resolution that you downloaded.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Viasat should rethink that. I am sure some customers, like myself would would forgo unlimited for HD video on the Liberty plan.

If restricted to just standard definition video plans, you would lose me as a customer. Need to give the consumer some options.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
We haven't made any solid plans for Viasat 2 yet. If we had they aren't saying anything to us. We're still taking feedback like this and believe me when I say that the feedback here is going to the right people. Again I unfortunately know probably as much as you guys right now since plans have not been established for the future.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
There I agree, plans need to be based on speed and/or priority data and, make that VDE that can be toggled off available to everyone, on all plans. U like having it on 99% of the time but there are a few occasions when streaming 1080 would be very nice.

Be even better if the VDE had a user consolable timer, set it to automatically turn back on after two, four or, six hours at our discretion, then an always off or manual only option for those that don't want to use it at all. Or, if plans only turned it on once you reached your priority cap, then video throttling would be forced at that point - a bit more penalty for going over the priority cap would tend to get people to watch their usage a bit and, not go hog wild too badly.

If that were the case and, I knew a stream I wanted to see were coming later in the month, I'd sure as heck mind the data to get it in HD.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2119 Posts
  • 1851 Reply Likes

Since we are dreaming out load,  it would be nice to be able to pick what speed you want to run your plan at.  Set it at 3mbs if you want or what ever speed you like, up to your plan.  I would probably have mine at 3-4mbs for streaming on my big t.v.  But, I think the biggest issue will be these new unlimited plans that tank after the soft cap is reached.  They end up being worse than the Freedom plan. Video Being throttled until your 150gigs are up and then not usable after the soft cap is not going to go over well.  I hope we are in a "testing" phase with these new plans and this will improve.  Unlimited plans should never go below the throttled speeds for that plan, even after the soft cap.  1-1.5mbs for Silver and "whatever" for Gold.  (We need more input from Gold users as to their video speeds!)

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3251 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I like a lot of suggestions here! Like Bev, I want speed for my video to get at least 720. I know it will use more data. But I would take slower on surfing and downloading. People overrate the speed way, way too much. If you get fast enough to browse and stream in HD with no buffering, that is okay by me whether it is 1.5Mbps or 5 Mbps.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 127 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Yeah, while faster speeds are nice for big file downloads, I primarily stream, so if I can reliably stream in HD without it buffering that'd be amazing. 
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Best Isp I ever had
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hello again all,

When the new satellites came online and started dishing out service, I decided it would be wise to adopt a wait and see approach.  Most speculated that service would improve drastically once the new satellite could take some of the load.

Unfortunately, that is not what I have been seeing.  Quite the opposite actually.

Also I have noticed some pretty shady business with the plans available in my area.  Before the new satellite service that was supposed to make things better, I had access to the "Unlimited" plans with 12, 25, and 30 Mbps at $70, $100, and $150/month.  Of course these plans were not really "Unlimited" in the sense that after 150 GB of usage, they slowed your service down.  But 150GB is a pretty big chunk of data compared to competing satellite providers.

Now that the new satellite is live, I can only access the Liberty plans, all at 12 Mbps with the only difference being the amount of data allowance a month, being 12, 25, and 50 GB/month at $50, $75, and $100/month respectively.

That really does not seem like an improvement to me.  At all.  Opposite really.

So my final decision is that I will stay well away from Satellite internet in general and Viasat specifically.

I thank you all for your time in answering my questions and hope this post can prove insightful to all others in my situation.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2137 Posts
  • 1058 Reply Likes
Liberty 12 is a tremendous value if you manage your data usage.  I used 280 GB of data on Liberty 12 last month and still had only used 10.5 GB of my 12 GB priority data.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, the data is a big sale point for me.  As stated above, I have 1.5 Mbps internet with a 150GB monthly cap.  I approach that limit almost every single month and the only thing that keeps me from hitting it every single month is my slow speed.  Multiply my speed by even just 3 and there is no way I will not hit at least 200 GB a month.  I could have dealt with that if it were on the 150 GB/month "Unlimited" plans, but not paying twice as much as I do to get a third of the monthly allotment.

I see that they have the 3 hours morning free zone, and people will likely say that I could just do all my heavy downloading then.  But with everyone doing that, I can't imagine the speeds at those hours is very good if Viasat can't even keep up optimal speed during the day hours where people are likely not doing heavy downloading.

If the free zone hours DO give good speeds despite everyone doing their heavy downloading then, then I must call Viasat out for some shady things.  That makes no sense that they cannot give everyone optimal speed during the day, but can during those hours.

Finally, at this point I just don't trust the company with my internet or my money.  When it all comes down to it, it was more that the promise of things getting better actually made things worse.  For me anyway.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2113 Posts
  • 1847 Reply Likes
So you call Viasat shady and untrustworthy and you have never even had Viasat as a provider?  That is absolute rubbish from you.  If you don't feel Viasat is the right ISP for you, then fine.  But your asinine statement is just that, asinine. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3233 Posts
  • 1857 Reply Likes
The new satellite isn't active either, except for a few select locations.

But based on his usage habits, I wouldn't move to satellite. Yes, Stephen will go on about what he uses, but that is atypical for most using Liberty, at least on beams where there are a lot of subs.
Photo of Colton

Colton

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Jim16

I apologize if I have insulted you if you have some personal stake in this company.  It was not my intention.  It was simply my opinion I have formed after a few months of observations that I could not overlook on these forums.

I also cannot overlook the change in plans for my area for the worse when it was supposed to be better with the new satellite.  I can only come to conclusions based on what I see.  And what I see is plans getting worse when they should have gotten better.

I am a customer.  I have to look out for myself, because companies must look after their profits, which often puts them at odds with their customers.  It makes no sense to purchase a product when reviews of said product are less than stellar.

Again, I apologize if I have offended you.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3233 Posts
  • 1857 Reply Likes
The new satellite isn't active in your area yet, or you would be seeing more plan options than that.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2113 Posts
  • 1847 Reply Likes
Colton

I have no issue with you deciding not to subscribe to Viasat.  But to read a handful of comments from a very small percentage of subscribers on a forum that in its vary nature is going to have negative comments and then concluding the company is shady and untrustworthy is just plain unfair.  There are hundreds of thousands of customers who are very happy Viasat is available to them.  Every product and every service will have a percentage of customers who will be unsatisfied, and some will rip them a new one, for whatever reason.  That does not make a company shady or untrustworthy.  All that means is you can never make everyone a happy customer, no matter who you are.  EVERY ISP has the exact same complaints from the same percentage of customers. That's just the way life is. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3233 Posts
  • 1857 Reply Likes
I am not sure hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers. There are under 600,000 subs now. I wouldn't say even 50% of that number is "very happy". I mean I have had the service for over 10 years, and wouldn't say I am "very" happy. I use it because of the two satellite services, which are the only two companies that can provide me internet, Viasat is the better one. But as an internet provider, I would probably rate them a B to a B-.

I just think you need to keep things in perspective a little here.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 303 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Colton, If your ATT connection is stable then you are definitely better off sticking with that. Viasat's performance is not very good right now and I would not recommend it to anyone unless they have no other choice. My speeds with Viasat have suffered dramatically in the last couple of months, especially on weekends. Not sure if my beam is oversold or what, but it becomes pretty much useless except for a few hours during the early morning. Sometimes I wonder why I'm paying this much money for this type of service.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Speeds have definitely degraded over the last few weeks.  Something is going on...and not for the better.