Should I switch from ATT DSL to SI given COVID situation

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I presently have ATT DSL running less than 800Kpbs in a rural area.  We are a family of 5 all with cell phones and laptops. We MUST have reliable internet for work and school. We have one teen that uses XBoX on weekends. Yes, we also have DirectTV.  Should we make the switch? Also, any suggestions on finding a reliable service provider? Any advice appreciated. 
Photo of mcfitzfam

mcfitzfam

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2479 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
My recommendation. No way!
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2995 Posts
  • 1610 Reply Likes
You should keep what you have.
Photo of mcfitzfam

mcfitzfam

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you both.  The kids can't even get schoolwork done at Starbucks because only the drive through is open. LOL.  Was just looking at options.  
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 418 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
If they have their WIFI on, and they probably do, you can park next to their building,(closer the better) probably a normal parking area and you should still be able to get their wifi.

Stay safe in your own car and use their or any business that you are aware of that has wifi, Mcdonalds etc.

Buy a drink from (support them) if you feel it is safe.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2479 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
Understood. But your usage needs are going to far exceed what satellite internet can offer. Then you will experience slowness just like what you have now.

And let's not even talk about trying to install an new ISP in your house at this time. Not a good idea.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 69 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Most multiplayer gaming doesn't work at a usable level with satellite, your DSL would be much better.  So, you'd have to have both anyway, and what everyone else is saying is true.  Options?  You could see about getting a second line and combining them, but probably not worth the price for the small amount of performance.  Search for a WISP.  Or, if you have cell service, research for a plan better suited for home use, some carriers have them, some had.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2479 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
Yea. I didn't even get into high latency (can't play many games online), video resolution downgrading (why am I getting standard definition with buffering on my TV) and slow speeds after a couple days ("unlimited" data as long as you use under 60 or so GB's each month).
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 863 Posts
  • 434 Reply Likes
My Red Wireless plan gets throttled to almost exactly 600 Kbps when I go over priority data. Even when it is that mode it is better than Viasat was 95% of the time.
Viasat is rarely better than even the worst DSL for most uses.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2479 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
True. I have been quite satisfied with my wireless plan. I don't worry about the speeds because I can do what I need to do. No streaming interruptions, etc. Works for me, but I am sure a family of 5 or 6 would struggle with it.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 2106 Reply Likes
I have the Liberty 12 plan, speeds are still very usable, but this is my backup internet. I use my Red truly unlimited for most of my internet needs, which has been averaging 8 to 25 MBPS, but in the past few days, as the schools are closed, and more people are working from home, the speeds have dropped down to around 3 MBPS, which is still very usable for my needs. My wireless plan is a prepaid unlimited, which means that I get to access the "left over" data on my tower, but with no data limits.