Shame on viasat executives!

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Fortunately I am home during the week, and can make use of the internet connection  when everyone else is working. I have blazing speeds and can move about the internet watching videos without concern. But when everyone gets home; Or worse, for the duration of the entire weekend, being on the internet is barely possible, and so much frustration that it isn't worth it. It's not broadband if it isn't usable.
I was a Hughes customer when in 2000 it became clear that they had oversold their transponder bandwidth. The same, sadly, has happened with Viasat. It's the temptation of capitalism, unfortunately, to rather than serve the customer, to serve oneself.
I'm sure the workers at Viasat are all good people. But those who made the decision to continue selling beyond the capacity of the system, above and beyond providing us with true broadband, should be condemned. Shame on them!
I just wanted to voice my opinion about this. Tomorrow is the beginning of another week, and I can return to regular speeds of 18Mps, unlike the pathetic languishing which is the result of too few resources for the user subscription base.
Photo of Gregg Kuljian

Gregg Kuljian

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Lol they reset my modem every  2 hours on the dot 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Now it doubles as a preset alarm clock and oven timer? What won't these combo modem/routers do? Those clever Viasat executives!
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
hhaha yep it seems to every 2 hours on the dot it resets , was working well till 2 pm yesterday reset and slowed me down lol 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What are you doing up at 11?!?!?!?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Her modem went off - she reset it for odd hours.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Capacity is a subjective term.  But, with regard to what most people are referring to when they talk about overselling the service, unfortunately, they have to.  If they didn't they would not be a viable company.  No one is going to pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for access, so they have to sell a lot of plans at reasonable prices in order to remain the aforementioned viable company.  

Satellite internet is already the most difficult and, per capita, the most expensive residential internet service to provide.  It's capacity is very small in comparison to ground based services, so in order to make sure that everyone gets great speeds all the time they would have to severely limit the number of subscribers, while at the same time charging hundreds of dollars, perhaps even over one thousand dollars, to remain afloat.  Since no one in their right mind is going to pay that, they have to charge what people are willing to pay, but sell a lot of subscriptions.  The downside, of course, is congestion.  And the more data hungry activities become, the more congestion there is.  

It's unfortunate, of course, but until there is some type of major breakthrough that allows a much larger capacity per satellite, it will pretty much remain the same.  That's not an excuse, but only the reality of the situation.  They must "oversell" in order to even exist.  

They have the ViaSat 3 going up next year.  It has a considerably larger capacity, but even that will eventually start experiencing congestion as more and more people are subscribed.  It should be pretty good for quite some time, though.  Again, this isn't an excuse, but only the reality of the situation.   
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Well, for some reason I can't edit this post, but what I meant to say in my opening sentence is that "Overselling" is a subjective term, not Capacity.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
This is assuming that there are no problems with Viasat 3 once it is operational. Viasat 2 has been nothing short of a disaster.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Agreed.  With that said, I wonder how much of the VS2 issues really had to do with the antenna problem vs simply overestimating its overall capabilities.  If I remember correctly, the antenna issue was supposed to reduce capacity by 12%, or something like that, but the problems seem to be much more profound than what a 12% capacity shortfall would have caused.  Then again, who knows?

I really do hope, for your sake and all others who have ViaSat, or will have ViaSat, that the VS3 is all it's cracked up to be.  If it is, it will surely make a difference, at least for a while.  I just hope that they don't start offering too much, like plans with 4K streaming.  If they do offer such, it's my opinion that they should reserve something like that to a single, very top tier plan, or none at all.  

I'd much rather see them offer reasonable, moderate plans first, then if everything is working well with a good amount of capacity to spare, introduce better ones, rather than have it the other way around and have a repeat of VS2.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I don't think that they overstated VS2's capabilities considering that the satellite is no where near full. The antenna problems affected it more than Viasat is letting on. I'm holding out hope for Viasat 3 and also for a couple of these LEO companies to take off as planned. More choices and competition is a good thing, especially for us rural folks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
$185 million insurance payment says it was not a "little" problem. For an insurance company to pay that much (and we know how much insurance companies like to nickel and dime the payout), you figure Viasat argued for even greater damages and settled the claim for this.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Good point.  
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Depends what they insured - if Viasat executives didn't insure against potential loss of revenue over the useful life of the bird (and not simply costs associated with launching), then yes I agree with the OP - shame on Viasat executives!

You can always pickup another antenna at Rock Auto but try replacing it - all the parts you're ever gonna need as I understand it.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The settlement was over loss of revenue, as the payout was done in installments projecting the revenue lost over time.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
So current value of $185 million spread over 15 years yields a different perspective to me anyway with the revenues that Viasat publishes each quarter - tune in to this quarter's call on February 7 at 5:00 PM eastern...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am not sure it was projected over 15 years. For some reason 5 sticks in my head.

Earnings call. Subscriber base remains stagnant, but revenue from existing customers increased, blah, blah, blah. Like the teacher in Peanuts!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I had someone else in mind...