Several Problems with Equipment Installation.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am having problems with the upgrade installation from WildBlue to Exede 5. This is my last attempt to gain help with this issue from Exede; my experience has not been good. I have explained the compounding problems at least 6 times to at least 6 different Exede customer service reps, a couple of their supervisors, one technician, and, most recently, a supervising agent in the sales department from which I originally placed the order for upgrade to Exede, and another person in the customer fulfillment department who set an appointment for an installation tech to come fix this mess. In this particular case, the appointment was broken when no one showed up or even bothered to call with a reason why, making it three days, in total now, I have devoted to this failure. I have endured a number of miscommunications and misrepresentations. I won't make a further spectacle of it here. I came to this forum for help with these issues because I am getting no satisfaction through the customer service department via telephone. I'm asking for help from an Exede representative here, in writing, and entertain hopes that my trust and confidence in your company might be restored. Thank you.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated with service and saddened by broken trust.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I'm sure one of the Exede folks will pick you up here and get you on the path to joy.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reassurance, JEP. I try to remain hopeful for a happy ending.
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
The entire situation is so convoluted at this point, that it will take an Exede expert to sort it out. Basically, the installation is failed. As the result of what led to the failure, poor workmanship, etc., I cannot trust the dealer or the installer he sent out because of the several misrepresentations mentioned earlier. I've been dealing with this since just after I placed the order to upgrade back in early December. Any suggestions? Thanks for your reply.
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Ray, that's great. Thanks. What specifics, besides those I have already stated, do you think would help you better understand the situation? I need the installation to be fixed in order to use the upgraded service. My posting of the particulars about any misrepresentations made on behalf of Exede or the dealer or installer cannot aid you in helping me out with this, I'm pretty sure of that. Can you schedule a service tech to come fix it? It doesn't seem like too much to ask of Exede, but there seems to be a problem getting it done. Exede assured me they would take care of it, and it has not been taken care of yet. The last appointment to re-install/complete the installation was broken without a call, and I spent the day waiting... I feel that I've done enough waiting and explaining over the past month.
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Ray, I have a question that you can probably help me with, if you are still interested. Is the tria normally wired to ground via the green (grounding) screw on the tria, or is there an alternative method where the grounding screw on the tria is not used for some reason?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Actually, I thought a ground wire to the dish mounting bracket (not the TRIA) was still required for non pole mounts.  ???
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Ray, your answer validates what the dealer who set up my new install told me, and this is much appreciated.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I asked the question because on the old WB setup, the tria ground screw is connected with a ground wire to the dish bracket along with the ground wire that runs with the coax cable. The messenger/ground is fixed to the ground block, and then a ground wire from the ground block to a copper ground rod sunk 8' in the earth.

I was told recently by the dealer who sent the installer for upgrade system that they don't need to ground the tria to the bracket. It sounded hokey to me, which is why I asked here. Thanks again. 
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Ray, I have a couple of questions about pole mount installations that you can probably help me with from your experience as an installer. How much cement should be used to set the pole in the ground, and should the concrete be set up before the dish goes on the pole and is aligned? Thanks again.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Ray. This is helpful. To be more specific, is it practicable or advisable to use less than the prescribed standard of at least 3 bags of concrete due to geographical location or other factors? How long should it normally take until the cement is completely set?
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks again, Ray. I have been in contact with Kimberly and she is working on sorting out the mess for us, for which I am grateful. I think the specific issues she is dealing with are far beyond what I am asking about here. However, I was told by dealer that three bags of cement is too much, even though the standard states at least three bags are required. I was hoping you or someone else here might confirm the validity of this to me one way or the other. The pole is level but not stationary, it is loose and rotates radially. I did check the vertical level, and it is not bad.

Should I not post here now that Kimberly is working on sorting out the problems?

Again, thank you.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey PB, you can post here and converse via email if you'd like. I am currently consulting with some of our Corporate Care teams regarding the technicians and their notation on your account. This is quite a large mess and I so appreciate your patience while I sort through it all. Talk soon.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Ray. This is just one small issue amongst other more important issues. I have already made extensive communications to Kimberly, and I believe she is aware that the installation is failed. I'm still waiting for her reply to my last email, but as mentioned early on in this thread, it is complicated to the point that is difficult to fully describe, it would take pages to do so. I'm going off of my notes and memory only, and this particular aspect slipped through the cracks.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you Kimberly,

I very much appreciate your efforts in helping myself and others here. I look forward to hearing from you with any particulars on how I should proceed.
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi PB,
I see you have been through the gauntlet with phone help service. I would contribute a lot of this to the weekend shift changes of personnel.

As JEP mentioned, the Exede rep's here on the forum do seem to average a much better return for customers issues. They will reply to your issues. Please reply to them with your account # and contact information. And, they will stay on top of it until resolved.

Please allow other, and very helpful, forum members the chance to find your connection or equipment problems.

Are you on your Exede connection while writing this post? Is your issue with your connection, or your up and download speeds? Is your connections fluctuating on and off (connection drops)?

I know you have explained these issues to the other Exede personnel, but we have no way to gain access to that personal info.

Let the forum members know some of the details that are causing you trouble, and I guarantee you will get several responses from individuals with experiences helping with the same issues.

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Everett, Thanks for your reply.  I am posting this using my WildBlue service. The Exede service is not functional due to the problems with the installation mentioned above, which created a huge trust issue between the dealer, the installer, and me. There is a river of notes that an Exede employee will have access to as soon as one replies and I send him or her my account number, and more specifics, if necessary. As stated earlier, I've explained it numerous times already, and am nearly at the end of my patience.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi PB,
All installer are not created equally. I know it's no help when you have come up against a bad one. But, explain some of the details, and we will help you rebuild your install in the proper manor.

If the equipment is not totally busted, we can track down the issues that keep it from running right. I see Ray has posted an offer to help, and he can resolve many issues.

The more details you can offer from your end, the better forum members and the Exede forum reps can fine tune your needs with the required fixes.

1st question: Did the new service ever work? If not, did the installer have an excuse or solution? Do you get any connection activity? What are the light's on the modem doing?

Help is coming, we just need a place to start.
Everett
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks for your diligence, Everett. No, the new system never worked at all. The modem is not provisioned or registered and never was. There was no set up done on my pc. I found out I'd been bamboozled after the installer left and the modem just kept winking all four lights, on and off, on and off. At that time, all four Leds were simultaneously blinking "fault". The installer told me it was downloading software, to give it twenty minutes and it would be ready to plug it in to my pc and good to go. BS. It was the Exede technician who gave me a clue to the mistreatment I'd been subjected to. She informed me to stop payment on the check, which I did, and instructed me to unplug the modem and disconnect the coax to the modem. Which I also did. I understand the equipment may have been damaged by the installer leaving it in that condition. The excuse the dealer offered was that the installer is inexperienced. I don't trust the dealer, either. His installer's inexperience and dishonesty should not be my problem, but now it is...
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
PB,

Wow second time I've heard of that occurring - an installer walking away with the modem clearly in a faulted state, but not all of the installers are like that.

I'd suggest sending an email to Exede Kimberly at exedelistens@viasat.com to help speed up the process - you've endured far more than your patience indicates.

P.S. Include your contact information in that email since they can't determine it from your profile here. 
(Edited)

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Dito on what Lab said. That is not right and should be addressed by Exede. And Kimberly is a good one to get your complaint about the installer back to the Exede big shots. This is not the norm for the Exede installer.

Give her all info you have about the dealer and his installer. She will be upset, and is real good at busting head's. Mine included. They will make it right for you.

Allow a little time to arrange a new install/ or re-do of the current one.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks again, Gentlemen.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Old Labs. I will do as you suggest.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I just wrote to Exede Kimberly and gave her my account info and a link to this thread. Wish me luck. Thanks to all of you who have tried to help. I appreciate it.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Good luck, PB.

Give her a chance to get settled in with a cup of coffee, and followup as needed - sometimes those emails get lost in the shuffle so persistence may be needed but the cavalry is on the way.      

You should enjoy the upgrade having gone that route myself, even though it appears you only have the Exede 5 option. A good install is the key to satisfaction. Beware the data usage once you get one, I found myself using more than expected initially (simply  doing more in a shorter period of time) and had to make some adjustments - abandoning bad habits I gotten into to  compensate for Wildblue's speed; trimming the fat with AdBlock and FlashBlock, etc. 

Do a Google/Bing search on "Exede standard installation requirements" and you'll find a document that tells you what you should have expected to begin with. 
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Old Labs. Reading the actual technical requirements is a real eye opener. It makes the situation appear even worse than I already thought it was. I got a good installation years back from the WildBlue installer, and had no idea what I was in store for this time around.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Don't fret PB, we will all work through this together to get everything sorted out.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Kimberly.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi PB, I see Old Labs has given you the information to send an email to Exede Kimberly, an email to help get this issue resolved. I will make sure she gets your email when she gets in this morning. =) 
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, Emerald, I appreciate your willingness to help me get this issue resolved.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
It appears that I did not do enough "homework" before the installer arrived. I did read some about it on the Exede website, but reading the technical aspects and policy of WB/Exede that is written for installers, which I found on Google search, I must say what happened during the install did not go according to that standard. I have a question about this that might be of help to others. It seems there is adequate info about what should happen during an installation, but I could find nothing about what action to take if what should occur during the process does not take place.  What should the customer who is well informed about what to expect during a site survey/installation do if an installer deviates from what is expected and standardized in writing by Exede?
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Could someone please explain to me the meaning of the following installation procedural standard for site survey? --- Perform a site survey to determine the appropriate location for the antenna that provides: A Ground Block installation location that is twenty feet or less from the approved Building Ground. I need to know what the approved Building Ground is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, the Exede grounding requirements are very severe.  My existing installation would not pass the current requirements.  The ground block has to be within 20-feet of an approved Building Ground as you stated.  This would include the electrical utility ground for the house, the electrical meter panel for the house, the solid electrical conduit connected to the house electrical panel, the main metal water pipe coming into the house if it is buried for a distance of at least 10-feet or to an Intersystem Bonding Termination (IBT) installed by a licensed electrician.  A separate ground rod for Exede is only permitted if it is back-bonded to the house utility ground by #6 wire, installed by a licensed electrician.  These requirement are imposed to meet NEC code. You may find an installer who will cut corners on this, but he does so at his own risk if his installation is audited or problems arise down the road.  IMHO, it is way overkill and is unnecessary for the proper operation of your satellite system.  These requirements are primarily there to keep the lawyers and possibly the insurance adjusters happy.  

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi JEP,
I hoped the overkill of Exede's standards would not be that bad. The link to the 1st/ home ground is pushing it, but I guess it would put both devices on the same ground plain.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Everett - I guess better safe than sorry (or sued).  I don't think my pole mount, 4 feet from the house is in danger of a lightning hit and if a nearby lightning hit takes out my modem, I'll have it replaced with a service call.  My pole mount is on the opposite end of the house from my house ground.  A service call will be cheaper than the bonding by an electrician.  Nine plus years as an outlaw. ;-)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
JEP, yours isn't the only one that isn't in compliance. I had Wildblue installed in 2008, the dish was mounted on the back side of the house. That is 55 feet from my electrical service. At the time, no ground was installed, and back then they didn't install a grounding block either. When I upgraded to Exede in 2012, all they did was remove the Wildblue dish and put the new Wildblue(Exede) dish on the same mount, changed out the modems, and set up the modem. I have never had any issues with that. The grounding, and other requirements for installation came along later. Since I have no problems, I am good with it. The dish is mounted 10 feet above the ground, with the peek of that wall being 23 feet above the ground If lightning hits my dish, me thinks that I will have much bigger problems than a fried modem. My guess is that if the dish gets hit by lightning, the tria and modem are going to be toast anyhow, grounded or not.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks JEP, that's very helpful info, I think. Although it seems yet another issue has come to the surface with regard to site survey not being done according to standards. This is very frustrating. Our house is approaching 50 years old. It sits about 250' off the road from where our service meter is installed on the service drop pole. This is where the main breaker switch resides. As far as I can tell, this is the only location within our entire system where the grounded conductor is actually connected to ground (Earth).

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi PB,
I have worked in construction for 4 decades. In it's purest essence, "the approved Building Ground" is where a 6 foot 3/4 inch ground rod is driven into the ground, usually very close to your main's box, where the power comes in from the power lines.

If conditions warrant, house grounding requirements can also be meet by burring a woven copper line 100 to 200 feet long in the ground a foot or better deep. Like shallow bedrock area.

Now, as "the approved Building Ground" might be considered during the installation of a Exede dish.
Any metal water line that is grounded to the main ground rod.
Any metal electrical conduit should also be considered a earth ground also, if properly installed. 
Any 3 prong receptacle interior or exterior, if installed right will provide a earth ground from the ground prong, or by adding a pigtail connection point for the dish's ground line/ ground block.

If this is all part of, or the restriction of the dish's location, and none of the above choices are available. Then buy and drive a ground rod into the ground at the dish's location (within 20' as you stated above).

This all pertains to the earth ground for your home. Not the same as the neutral line in your breaker box. The neutral line does connect to the earth ground inside the breaker box, but this is a separate electrical process.

The dish ground is for the dish's protection from lightning and or a dead short coming from the house. The modem is grounded at the plug-in. If lighting hits the dish, it's going to fry like a frozen turkey dropped into boiling oil. The only thing left will be the ground rod.

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi, Everett. Thanks for your describing. As I mentioned to JEP, our service drop is out at the road, about 250' away from the house. That is where the neutral wire is bonded to earth ground. All of the neutral wires and equipment ground wires complete the circuit there, to the best of my knowledge. 

Our Wild Blue service we have had since 2008 is grounded with an insulated solid copper grounding wire connecting from Ground Block installation, very near where the old cable enters the wall, to a copper ground rod, within 20' of the Ground Block. I think the distance from antenna to ground rod is not restricted to less that 20' since the antenna would be grounded to the mast of the pole mount. In our case the pole is 77' out away from the house. I thought the 20' minimum distance described in the standard means the prescribed distance between the approved Building Ground (which we apparently don't have within 250') and the RG6 Ground Block installation, right?

I should note here that the reason the upgrade Exede equipment could not be installed where the Wild Blue equipment originally was is because we had to replace the roof on our house and it is metal now, and hence, it is no longer dish friendly.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
PB,

As I understand it, interpretation of the 20 ft distance between and the building ground and ground block is a maximum. In my case #10 solid runs a few feet from the grounding block to what appears to be #6 bare stranded running to a copper ground rod. Wouldn't even know the ground rod was there except for going out one time and kicking aside some dirt asking my self where the heck is that wire going to.

FWIW, I'm no electrical genius by any stretch of the imagination, knowing only enough to avoid any shocking results. I did however spend about 18 months in the Caribbean where metal roofs are the norm. During that time, I'd frequently help the locals with their 'compooter' problems.

At first, many of the problems had no explanation until one evening at the local saloon - what's this one evening stuff?  - OK every evening and on this one occasion bumped into an electrical contractor on vacation. We got into a conversation about what I was doing there, and when it turned to this subject and one specific problem while we were only partially oiled, he says it sounds like 'ground loop' - naturally I said what and still don't understand it.

But many of the locals installed their own electrical systems, and thinking that more was better would install two or more ground rods introducing this 'ground loop' phenom and required bonding the two ground rods together somehow. I did tell one local to eliminate one of his ground rods and apparently it solved his problems.

So there may be some additional bonding requirements for pole mounts for that reason. Some conversations over on the other forum seem to suggest that.

In the end, a ground rod down there never made any difference because most of the remaining parts of the electrical system weren't properly attached to ground - most of the bare copper wires were cut off at outlets and switches anyway since most of the switches and outlets didn't have a green ground screw and the little clips sometimes used were no where to be found.   

As that evening wore on and we became fully lubricated the only other sure takeaways from that conversation were:
  1. Since this island was nothing more than one big inactive volcano, do not stand directly over any ground rods when the volcano eventually blows.
  2. A solid understanding was gained on why it takes so long to restore electrical service after a hurricane - you have to wait for the trees to grow back since they are an integral part of the grid in some cases.
  3. Most importantly, don't stop the carnival - and take some time to get to know the locals and a fascinating culture.
Anything else that occurred that evening, I categorically deny and all the rest including 'ground loop' remains foggy due to a loss of brain cells.

However, should you happen upon a certain saloon on a certain 5 square mile island my true identity will be revealed on the plaque commemorating the 1st 5 customers - I'm # 2 on the list - but only because I held the door open for the lady tailgating me to the grand opening.
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Old Labs, your interjection of humor is appreciated. It sounds like you've had some good times on the big merry go round. Yes, most importantly don't stop the carnival.

And thank you for pointing out the 20' distance between ground block and ground is a maximum. I actually meant to say maximum. I did not notice my error until you pointed it out. But my understanding of it definitely agrees with yours.

After these conversations, my understanding is that Exede standards with regards to grounding its equipment are sometimes a little overkill from a practical standpoint, and are occasionally overlooked by some installers in order to reach the goal of a practically adequate install. I've read here of well functional service installations that do not include a ground block installation, or are not otherwise connected directly within 20' or less of the approved building ground.

it seems that a 6' copper ground rod would do the trick just fine for the new install, and give an even better grounding potential for the modem side of the Exede equipment. Our Wild Blue has worked fine for 3 1/2 years with just such a set up.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 562 Posts
  • 399 Reply Likes
You get the potential for a ground loop with separate grounds. This why you're not supposed to do this and should have all grounds bonded to the service ground. This said, my Wildblue system ran like this with a ground rod at the pole about a 150 feet from the service ground for 5 1/2 years and my Exede has ran like this for almost 2 years. I am going to fix this and run new wire as soon as the ground dries up some, though.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah, the problem with separate grounds is in the event of a nearby lightning strike, current will flow through the earth and your two separate grounds will briefly be at different potentials.  Maybe a few millivolts, maybe hundreds of volts.  In the latter case, this potential difference will try to equalize itself via conductors in your satellite system possibly resulting in zapped electronics.  By bonding the two grounds together with a separate conductor, you provide a low impedance path that bypasses your less robust electronics.  Waaay back when DirecTV started up and you could install your own system (yeah, I screwed up), I had a separate ground on my dish.  I had to replace the DirecTV receiver once or twice a summer.  (I live on a hill).  Finally, figured it out and removed the ground from the dish.  A dozen years or more have elapsed with no dead DirecTV receiver.  Now had lightning actually hit my dish and started a fire, a really picky insurance adjuster could raise an issue about the dish not being properly grounded.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
And here I thought a surge protector device used to connect the modem to our 120v receptacle would prevent such fire hazard/damage that might occur from nearby lightning strikes and any voltage spikes related to the electrical service, etc., despite the occasional thunderstorms we experience here in summer.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
PB - Surge protectors are good things (I also have a whole house surge protector installed at my electrical panel) but they only provide an increased percentage of protection, not 100%.  All bets are off for a direct hit.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you David, your comment makes good sense to me. I have a branch feeder junction box set about 50 feet or so from the house. The metal devise is grounded to a copper ground bar there, but the grounded conductor is connected to earth way out at the end of my driveway, another 200' up the line at the meter.

Thanks to all of you guys for pitching in to give me a better understanding of things electrical and particularly how they relate to a pole mount install.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I should correct the statement I made earlier about having WildBlue since 2008. I have been reasonably happy with WildBlue only since June, 2011. But I have to say again, this new experience has not been a good one so far. I'm still waiting for some kind of resolution. It's a pretty big mess.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
PB,

So no new install or corrections scheduled yet? Have you followed up with Kimberly since the initial contact?

As they say on the island, don't worry, mon... but this ain't the island. Good luck and you appear to have a good grasp now on what to look for.  
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I am currently talking with our Escalation team to see what can be done. This is a very unique situation to me as I haven't encountered something like this before. I apologize for the slow response time. /:
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Old Labs,

No new install or corrections are scheduled yet. I have followed up with Kimberley, as recently as this morning. It is complicated and might take some time. I found out that according to information I received from Kimberly that there has either been a miscommunication or that the installer has accused me of having possibly compromised the install by saying I did a thing I did not do (setting the dish on the pole while the cement was wet?). Why on earth would I do that? I trust Kimberly is doing whatever she can to get these issues clarified and resolved.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Kimberly, thank you for your last note here. It's been difficult for me to hang on for this. I appreciate your assistance.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I still wonder what one should do when things go astray during a site survey, install, etc. Based on my limited experience, and I can only hope that my experience is as unique as Kimberly says, I highly recommend NOT calling Exede CS on the telephone.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
I'd swear placing the dish on the pole is part of the installer's job description - but I could be wrong ;)

God I miss the islands where all it took was a handshake and maybe a Red Stripe to get something done. Things are way too complicated up here.
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I think so, too, Old Labs. I also think that bringing the tools to dig the hole for the pole, and the trench, and digging the trench and filling the trench, and carrying some drill bits and a couple of wall bushings; those are probably all parts of the installer's job description. He might also be supposed to not leave the job with the modem plugged in while showing a complete fault state, and he probably should not have charged me before he left either. When I realized what had been done, the relationship between installer and me suddenly became adversarial. Not good. I dislike conflict very much. In fact, I seek to avoid it whenever possible. But here I was forced into it and that really sucks.

Yeah, the Islands sound real good right now. Your story of the saloon kind of took me there for a few minutes.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
With the launch of ViaSat-2 which appears to cover the right part of the Caribbean, I might go back, become an installer and electrician - at least there would be no climbing involved with the metal roofs.

That's it... I'm going off the grid!  
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I just sent another e mail to Kimberly, trying to describe in further detail what actually happened during the failed install. I immediately received the following reply from "Exede Listens":

We’ve received your recent email regarding case 00337241. Because this case has already been closed, we ask that you create a new request if you need further assistance. You can create a new request from our Contact Us page.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,

ViaSat Customer Care

Case closed? Create a new request? Wow, this is crazy.

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
PB, you need to send a new email to Exede Kimberly with the same information, however, do not include the case number, since the Exede email server picks up on the older cases and automatically responds with the message you got. I learned the hard way a few months back. Just put ExedeKim in the subject line, she will answer you.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks, Steve. Will do.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Automation intended to make life easier gone awry... gotta love it.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I don't like it at all, Old Labs. It is a drag. The only bright spot right now is that WB is still plugging along pretty well, allowing me access to the web, and knowing that Kimberly is working on it. Of course, I am still faithfully paying for WB each month like I have for the past 40 months or so. I am pretty nervous about "trading up" judging by how this adventure into Exede has gone so far. Please check out this nice workmanship and tell me what you think. The indoor shot of the modem is right after I filled in the ditch. The outdoor shots are from a couple of days later.

I did re-send my last message to Kimberly per Steve's instructions. While the first message to her initial reply had to do with notes and communications gone awry, it introduced the question that I might have somehow compromised the install, this last message to her has more to do with the chronologically (used loosely) ordered details of the install.

Nice Hmm?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah, very clever approach to improve air circulation to the modem power supply.
 ;-)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I can see nothing professional about your installation.  I trust tat Kimberly will get you fixed up in short order. A good installation would allow you to use the internet without worrying about slow speeds or disconnects.

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Must of run out of duct tape. I really don't see anything 5 gallons of good quality silicone won't fix. That power supply can be bedded onto the wall in about 3" of the clear sticky stuff.

It helps Ground It!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
PB,

Oh My! You failed to mention you lived in the Caribbean...

Hopefully no money has exchanged hands on this upgrade yet or is at least being held and is being resolved. ViaSat needs to address that quickly.

Appears you may have been a victim of installer roulette or the big wheel in the order automation process.

Assuming the financial details of the transaction are resolved (meaning you aren't on the hook for anything), you might want to try a different tactic and route and push the reset button.

Buried down at the bottom of the exede.com page under contact you'll see a Find a Local Dealer link:

http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/find-a-local-dealer

After entering your ZIP code, you've got enough information in your arsenal to ask some insightful questions of those dealers listed and determine qualifications. Needless to say you can skip over and rule out whoever perpetrated this one. Any listed as Elite Dealers are a good starting point. Note that 'local' is a relative term since my dealer is some 100 miles away and his installer is some 90 miles away Although there are now others much closer, I'm sticking with the horse that got me here despite higher charges for added miles/time.    

Of course, this assumes you're still interested ion an upgrade. If nothing else, your patience is admirable.

The ordering process should probably include a question like "Would you like us to assign the first available or would you prefer to locate one yourself?"
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I was charged 49.99 by Exede at the time I placed the upgrade order on 12/6/14. The installer talked me out of a check for 175.00 on Dec 24. We had to stop payment on the check after I realized I'd been duped. It's all very embarrassing.

I did not initially contact WildBlue with intention of upgrading, but due to our plans to get a new roof on the house, upgrading to Exede 5 and having the new equipment installed in a different location seemed a good and timely thing to do. I was an easy sale. Now, and I think I'm understanding correctly, we won't even be on ViaSat-1, but still on WB-1 after this upgrade. I was looking forward to faster speeds, additional 2.5G data allowance. I could also use LNFZ to download automatic updates for my system.

Some of the initial communications with Exede during the ordering process had to do with a sales number change request. That turned out to be a HUGE mistake, which has led to much of the confusion. I initially requested this dealer because he said he could have someone out in three days. But, as it turns out, that just proved to be one false statement setting off a series of false statements. I'm pretty sure I could get off the hook easily enough. But I'd rather have the service upgrade if we can salvage some sort of deal out this train wreck.

Here is where it stands today: Escalation Department.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I try to strengthen my hold on the little patience I've left for this situation by use of the realization that there are millions of people enduring far greater struggles than I. Nevertheless, it would be nice to get some word, ya know?
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'm still waiting. Over the past week, I have sent 3 emails to Kim in an effort to provide her with further information regarding the issues at hand. I have not seen any acknowledgement from her that she has received them. So, I have no way of knowing if these communications were lost or received, and nothing to indicate what to expect or what to do next. Any suggestions?
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'm still waiting. Over the past week, I have sent 3 emails to Kim in an effort to provide her with further information regarding the issues at hand. I have not seen any acknowledgement from her that she has received them. So, I have no way of knowing if these communications were lost or received, and nothing to indicate what to expect or what to do next. Any suggestions?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Just bumping you to the top of the queue here, PB, so it's not lost in the shuffle...
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey PB, I haven't received the email responses since our Corporate team is reviewing your case...I will give them a call and see how things are coming along.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you Kimberly and Old Labs.

If I may ask, does that mean your corporate team has received my emails, or have I just been sending them into oblivion? Thanks for your reply and again for your help. :)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
With a situation as unique as this one, many things may be out of my scope for resolution. So, we can send the case information up to the big guys for assistance with those things. The whole email thread gets forwarded for review and resolution. I took a look at the status and a few things have been done to get you installed but it is taking more time than we thought it would. Lots of things to address here and take care of. Working working.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you again, Kimberly. This communication is appreciated along with the other work that you and Exede team members are involved in to bring this situation to a fair and reasonable conclusion. Have a nice weekend.

Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
The dealer just called me and is still willing to come fix the install. He said he was told on Tuesday by his corporate contact to call me and see what I wanted to do; let him fix install or take the equipment. I said okay come and fix it. He is coming out tomorrow to do it.

Maybe this unfortunate situation will end up with a fair enough resolution after all. I have to trust the dealer that the "big guys" Kim mentioned are behind going this route. We shall see...  

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Good luck PB. I would guess the Super Big Pointy-haired Boss man in Colorado lit a fire under his chair. Let's hope the install will be done correctly this time, and that you can just enjoy your internet experience, and not have to fight for what you deserved the first time around.

Let us know how things work out.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve, Will do. I learned a lot from all of you guys here and reading around on other threads in the forum. I hope soon to be one of the millions of happy Exede customers.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Yeah, good luck, PB. You deserve some.

I am curious though. Was there some reason that they couldn't have just used the existing Wildblue mount and cable? In my case all they did, after inspecting the cable and roof mount, they simply swapped out the dish and modem, peaked the dish, reused the cable and I was good to go.

Maybe NRTC (my case) has lesser standards.

In fact, since Wildblue was a dual cable setup, the installer said to just swap cables on each end if something were to go wrong (he just sealed the free end of the unused at the dish marking both ends with green/red for me as a quick DIY fix to try if needed).    

But then again probably just as well - otherwise you'd have nothing.  
(Edited)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
When I upgraded from Wildblue to Exede, the installer did the same thing, reused the dish mount, cable, and just capped off the second (now unused). That was back in April 2012, and my internet is still flying smoothly. I am a direct Exede customer.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks Old Labs.

The reason they couldn't use existing roof mount is I had a new roof installed. It used to be comp shingle and now it is metal. I was told early by an Exede tech rep that metal roofs also can have negative effect on under eve mounts due to reflectivity. I tried to cover all bases to make sure this pole mount was doable before I ordered; length of cable, position of dish, conduit, etc.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I finally confirmed that this upgrade was placed through WB direct. I think the speed should be a little better with Exede 5 than I have been getting out of WB basic, and more data + LNFZ would make it a step up for a reasonable initial cost of the remote pole install and the 5.00/mo increase for equipment lease.

Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks again for your help, guys, and Exede Kim. I'll be sure to let you know how this turns out real soon.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Ah, makes sense now I forgot the metal roof and may have missed that it wasn't previously a pole mount - or might have been drinking at the time. Well at least that part makes sense, the rest not so much ;)    
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Absolutely keep us posted!! Rooting for you PB!!!!
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'm sad to say the issues are still not resolved, and indeed, continue to multiply. The dealer came out yesterday to fix the failed pole mount as we had agreed. He had told me he would reset a new pole, but did not bring a pole. Instead, he offered to modify the failed pole mount in a way that I could not agree to. I won't sign a two year contract for a mickey mouse installation. He said he could send someone else to fix it in a couple of weeks.

I offered to set the pole if that is allowable, he said I could do that if i wanted to and save some money on the cost of the installation. He asked if I could get it done that day. I said no because I would have to obtain the proper materials and consent from Exede. What to do?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
PB - I did my own pole mount years ago and it has held up.  I got pre-approval back then, I don't know what the rules are now, may depend on your installer. One thing I did that most installers don't is mix the concrete in a wheel barrow with a hoe to make sure it is uniformly mixed and then pour it into the hole, as opposed to trying to mix it in the hole.  Have you seen this: http://wildbluetools.com/content/FS/60/63/WBTB_InstallationTechniquesPoleMounts_20100625.pdf ?  I went with the 2-3/8" OD pole which requires an adapter ($$). Good luck!
(Edited)
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks JEP, I have seen the document you linked, and so much more. Since these problems erupted I have gained quite a bit of education on many subjects.

I should note here that before the dealer left yesterday, he removed the dish from the pole and put it on the ground, then pulled about 5 feet of metal conduit out of the trench. Dealer told me the pole was of the type approved by ViaSat. However, after he removed the dish (with help from me and the fellow he had brought with him), I was then able to measure the inside and outside diameters of the pole and found the wall thickness to be .115 .120 (inch). The 9 gauge pole approved by ViaSat has mfg industry standard wall thickness of .147 (inch). This sums as an average deficiency in material thickness of .030 in. per side below the thickness of ViaSat's accepted 9 gauge pole. This deficiency negatively effects the rigidity of the pole mount. I'm sorry to have to say it, but this is just crap. The calipers do not lie.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I have read the Customer Agreement (Residential), and it seems that ViaSat can approve (authorize) or disapprove of just about anything it chooses. How might I go about getting approval from ViaSat to install a pole like JEP's?
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I just received a call from ViaSat customer care. I was told definitely that I am not allowed to set the pole, that it must be done by an authorized installer. I described to her yesterday's visit from the dealer and sent her some more pictures. She did say she will get back in contact with me as soon as some way to a solution is reached.
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Let's call it solved then, shall we? The new installer (dealer) came back again to fix the install and now we are on Exede. It has been a crazy experience, to say the least.

However, the speeds are better than those we were able to get with WB.  The email works as well, although there was some confusion about incoming and outgoing mail servers. Also solved now.

I have to say though, the process was grueling and time consuming. I still did not get a pole mount that meets Exede installation standards. 1.5 inch water pipe with O.D. of 1.9 inch. Here in the desert you take what you can get, I suppose. It's really been like a trip to see

The Wizard of OZ.

At any rate, I want to extend thanks to each of you kind people who were gracious enough to provide help and information that helped us get connected. I do appreciate it.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Glad you hung in there PB and got things straightened out.  Hope all is smooth sailing for you here out.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thank you for the update PB. I am so sorry I wasn't able to speed things along for you. /:
Photo of PB

PB

• 106 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you for trying Kimberly. You did well enough and no need for apologies. The problem was with the dealer/installer. Apparently there are very few installers in my area. I got stuck with a lemon, and the one who finished the job was only slightly better. The first time he came here to reset the pole, he didn't bring a pole. In the end, I wound up with a pole that does not meet the Exede standards. I must reiterate, I'm sure the standards exist for a good reason. I could have done the job better simply by buying the proper pole and setting it myself. The point is, no one who pays for an installation should have to worry about the integrity of the installer with regards to providing a quality installation as defined in standards by Exede/Wildblue. This sort of business we received makes the appearance that Exede installation standards are of the very least important to its installers, third party or otherwise. We are off to a frustrated start. I truly hope the connection remains dependable. Time will surely tell.

Thanks again for your help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.