settings on router

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Upon changing things on my router, I discovered a page never seen before. Now the Network will  not let me even access my router settings again. My question is if my router has been hacked why can't I get help in finding out who and stopping?
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • very Frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 329 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
"Upon changing things on my router..."

Sharing what 'things' you changed would be helpful.

Which modem do you have - with or without wifi builtin?

If all else fails, stick a paperclip in the reset hole for 10 seconds & start over...
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry bout that, I have the modem with a built in router, and have already reset and I changed password, and tried to change HTTP to HTTPS which happened to be on the page that was never available for changes before. 
I do not care to reset
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2407 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Hi,   Please call customer care for technical support at 855.463.9333.
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have called Viasat  a few times and you are of  no help. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1451 Posts
  • 859 Reply Likes
I think you will have to reset to factory defaults. You changed things (but not sure what you changed). Best thing is to restart with factory defaults and go from there.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 322 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Does the factory reset wipe out the modem key?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1449 Posts
  • 858 Reply Likes
I was talking about the router settings, not the modem settings. Should be two different things and not sure the consumer can even wipe the modem key (easily at least).
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I can not even get back on to my Router setting site. I type in the IP and get a response that my network refuses to connect. What the hell is that all about?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
This is all too self-annihilating.  You said you  changed things in your router settings and then things went south but want to blame a hacker, want to find out who that might be, and stop them.  Look in the mirror.

Since you don't know what you're doing, don't know what you did, and now it's broke, you need to do/check on two things:  Reset the router, make sure the computer is set to "obtain an IP address automatically."

I suspect you may have turned off DHCP in the router and now the computer is stuck in space unable to contact the router due to a lack of a valid IP address.

There is a way to contact the router despite the above situation.  Open a command window (cmd.exe) if using Windows, enter "ipconfig" and see what the default gateway is on the network adapter, and THAT  is your router's address, unless you have entered a manual (static) IP address in the computer to something out of range for the router.  If it's not showing a default gateway and your IP address is 169.254.x.x then you have no link to the router and what I said in paragraph #2 above is mandatory.
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did not turn DHCP off I was not about to change anything that I know nothing about. I did the "ipconfig" like you suggested entered my "Default Gateway" and I get the same thing a "Refuse to connect" pops up and it has nothing to do with my firewall. The only thing I changed was my password, # of guests & password.The reasoning for going back is I wanted to view a page that I have not seen before.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Curiosity killed the cat
Photo of Hackedagain

Hackedagain

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ye well how do I know that you did not have nothing to do with it. Considering the FACT that I just found out that there is a Host to my Laptop, and my Internet modem has 2 IP addresses? Not to mention you come off like a jerk.

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 322 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
You will find you can take a few "public IP's" in bridge mode. And I say "public" because some black magic network stack is behind the curtain with the IP truly living on some VM at the gateway. Hence the odd routing doing a traceroute and other network oddities.

Try port 8080 if you have lost access.
(Edited)
Photo of Myrtle Peden

Myrtle Peden

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is crap, noone can help, can't connect with my wifi using the password that we picked when installed.