service questions

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
 We are looking at purchasing a rural home - no internet or cable. Here is family dynamics 6 iPhones, 6 iPads, 1 surface pro, 5 lap tops , 2 desk tops , 1 mack book air, , 2 playstation, 2 xboxes, 3 switch devices games players 5 apple tvs.If it is a rainy day outside, hubby working from home on internet, daughter doing her soap business on internet , kids on tvs , phones possible game stations ... Can wild blue even hold up? Bare in mind we are a coastal Oregon Community

Photo of Ramona Lynn-Goldber

Ramona Lynn-Goldber

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 451 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
You may want to reconsider such a home purchase. You will be very unhappy on satellite. You will go through 10 Gig a day and any plan you have will be on prioritization within a week. And many games simply will not work at all on satellite and the same for some VPNs.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is NOT recommended for gaming. Latency (Ping) is going to be 800 ms or more and, that means lag. Fast twitch games (FPS) don't work over Viasat, or any satellite ISP. Other games are hit and miss, some work, some do not due to the unavoidable lag.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 441 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
I hear chess works fine.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
And if you do look at using this service you would have better experience if you signed up for the commercial (business) plan..you will still have slow service if more than 2 devices are trying to use the internet at the same time..
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
With your internet needs, dont buy a home with cable internet!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Sorry I meant to say without cable internet! Lol
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 35 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
The other responses are correct in that you'll almost certainly have to curtail your internet usage since, unlike wired broadband in the city, rural bandwidth is limited and expensive. Email and internet browsing for the family are within reach, but streaming Netflix etc. will use up your allotted priority bandwidth in a hurry. Also, satellite latency makes interactive online gaming pretty much a non starter, same goes for some work related tasks that require lower latency (RDP, SSH, Teleconferencing, etc.). Most of us manage to make satellite service work, but there is just a lot that it won't do. If you'll spend a little time reading through the forums here, you'll see what I mean.

Having said that, there are some alternatives to satellite internet that you could consider.

If you receive a strong cell signal on the property, Verizon now has an uncapped prepaid data plan for $65/mo. Coupled with a Jetpack wireless hotspot, going cellular would most likely resolve the latency issue and provide you with reasonable service, but even though Verizon labels the plan as "unlimited," it's most likely not, so if you use a massive amount of bandwidth they'll probably take some action to limit your access (just as any other unwired rural internet service). It's pretty simple to run a mobile speed test when you're on the site (be sure to disconnect from any WiFi networks first), and any speed above 25 Mbps is pretty reasonable. 10-25 Mbps would be adequate for general usage, but probably not great for streaming HD video. I don't do any video streaming, but I'm sure others here could give you some input on how much bandwidth you'd need to stream Netflix/Amazon/etc.

One option that's isn't very well known is called fixed wireless. Fixed wireless is fast and, at least in my area, reasonably affordable and relatively generous with bandwidth. Here in east Texas, a $60/month fixed wireless plan (with Rise Broadband) provides 150GB of priority, low-latency bandwidth. A company called Peak Internet offers fixed wireless to some areas of Oregon, so you might hit their site to see what's available in your area. One downside to fixed wireless is that it's a line-of-sight service and requires an unbroken line of sight from their tower to your residence. In my case, I'd have to erect a 60-foot tower to get their equipment up over the trees, and if I had the extra cash on hand, I'd probably go that route.