service in awendaw sc?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
I am moving from Mt Pleasant to Awendaw and it looks like Exede is the best for internet.  We use Comcast today and use probably 500GB a month, kids with Netflix.  I am thinking the unlimited plan will work, but how busy is the beam that I will be on and how slow does it back down to if you hit the 150gb "limit"?  Thanks for any help/advice
Photo of chris johnson

chris johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
If you are using 500GB per month the unlimited plan is your only option. Performance will vary depending on the time of day. Some of the beams in the east tend to be more congested than other areas of the country.

Since ypu say you have kids, do they play a lot of online games? In particular to they play First person shooter games? Some of those games are not going to work well with the inherent latency associated with satellite internet. I bring this up now so you have no surprises.

Satellite internet will work for you, but when moving from cable internet to satellite internet, you are going to have some adjustment.
Photo of chris johnson

chris johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi thanks for the note, no gaming, only streaming.  What are the peak times?
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Chris, we would be on the same beam I believe. Unfortunately peak hours ARE 7-11pm Mon - Fri, And 7a - 11p Saturday and about 9A-10P Sunday. Sunday however, the speed is somewhat better.
Photo of chris johnson

chris johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thank you, so what kind of speeds do you get at peak v non peak when you are within the data limitations?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Chris, peak hours vary a bit by beam but, in general in the range of 2 PM through 5 AM is pretty busy with prime time being the busiest (5-10 PM or so)

Unlimited would be the way to go for streaming that much. Bronze if all of the streaming is on mobile devices, silver if only mobile and small screen (like computer or small TV is the largest screen used) and Gold if you want to stream to a 40 inc or larger TV.

Unlimited plans automatically restrict video resolution, so choose the best one for you from what is available on your beam. Also, if Gold, for example is not available now, know that a new satellite, Viasat 2, will be coming online in the early part of next year and, that will make more plans available in more areas.
Photo of chris johnson

chris johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Bev thanks for the info......so if the gold is available, how fast is the connection?  Should i be able to stream netflix?  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2825 Posts
  • 1785 Reply Likes
chris, you should be able to stream Netflix without any problem unless there is heavy congestion on your beam. Netflix can be streamed even when the speed drops to 3 Mbps without buffering, assuming only one device is streaming. For multiple devices streaming at the same time, speeds will have to be higher.

My summer place at the lake has Spectrum/Time Warner cable internet, with the cheapy package of 3 Mbps, and I don't get any buffering on Netflix.

If you have any neighbors with Exede, check with them about what speds they are seeing during the evening hours, that will give you a good idea of how congested the beam serving your area will be.
Photo of chris johnson

chris johnson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
great info, i just spoke to the exede dealer in the area and he is going to try and hook me up with some customers using the service in the neighborhood to see how it is working for them, reliability and speed wise.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
Good deal. Good to see somebody doing their due diligence before they hop into a two year agreement and then possibly regret the decision.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Excellent Chris, do your homework and set realistic expectations of Exede service and, I think you will be happy with it.

Speeds on Gold are up to 30 Mbps, Silver up to 25 Mbps. I do see 25 Mbps, sometimes faster off peak and, sometimes as low as 5 Mbps peak hours but, that's more than enough to stream at SD so, I don't really notice the slow times much unless I'm downloading a file, then I notice. For SD streaming and, general browsing and email, I don't notice slow from fast times. I know some beams do, they are more congested so, see slower speeds than I do at peak times.