Seriously are VS-2 plans available ANYWHERE?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have typed in every zip code I know and many of major cities. Not one returns a VS-2 plan. Am I missing something or are we not being told something? 6 days until March. What’s the holdup? Why no explanations???
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
There was a post on here where maybe It was about six locations. I don't remember them all. I know Kentucky was one, but not sure where in that state.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
I've seen the Gold 50 plan. That is Viasat 2. Just do a search for plans using zip code 80002 and you can see it too.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 436 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
The 14 beams cover the areas near
San Francisco and San Diego, CA;
Portland, OR;
Denver, CO;
San Antonio, and Austin, TX;
Tulsa, OK;
El Dorado, AR;
Magnolia, Jackson, and Tupelo, MS;
La Crosse, WI;
Lexington, KY, and Harrisonburg, VA.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
So do any if these locations offer the elusive Platinum Plan?
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Tulsa, OK now offer platinum plan
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Nice. Better sign up for platinum before it disappears.
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
$2400 year with out taxes and rental and not even guaranteed speeds
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Did you expect 100 mbps to be cheager than 25 mbps?
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Never said it would be but i said their prices are nuts and not even guaranteed i payed for 150gb 25Mbps over a 100 a month and never got it.But to each its own they expect people pay for 100Mbps but only get half or less.
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I am waiting on my dealer to do paper work to sign me up for platinum plan to see how well it does I will keep updated once it get installed.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2273 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Just out of curiosity, what do you people do that requires 100 mbps?

I download 100 to 300 gb a month on a Liberty 12 plan just fine. I'm not paying for more than 12 mbps.

I'm watching The Breakfast Club in 720p right now with no buffering during primetime thanks to my Plex server.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
I agree. $200+ a month for internet.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I ran several zip codes of the cities listed above. Most only have gold 30 or 50 plans. This was the only one I could find that offered this...San Antonio (78006).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3603 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
So there is one. So I would say the one Gold plan offers 100GB of priority data and the other plan would be 150GB of priority.

More power to anyone that wants to pay north of $200/month for internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
It’s all very frustrating. From a delayed launch in April 2017 to a trip of over 6 months to reach the orbital slot after being told over and over a few months. 6 months isn’t a few. 3 is. Even the launch partners satellite arrived to its orbital slot before VS2. Now we are on the heels of March and a single town in Texas has the platinum plan. We aren’t being told the complete truth. Something is wrong. Did they fall way behind on ground stations? Is the antenna issue way more serious then they are alluding to? The real annoyance is every issue for well over a year was constantly addressed by “ wait for VS2”, now we’re here and the rollout has been stunted and nobody is saying why.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "antenna issue"

It would be foolish for a CEO to publicly deceive, especially when an insurer and another company are involved.

RE: "ground stations"

IIRC, VS-2 was designed for a "build more" when needed.  Logic would suggest that "just in time" practices are prudent.

RE: "rollout "

I would suspect there is a limited number of consumer units (CPE) available, and if sales in your area are good, people will have to wait.

When Wildblue was first engaged, several months past before all beams were "online."  Literally, someone has to drive around in each beam to make sure its working.

RE: "prices are nuts"

For shared satellite bandwidth, not really.  Try and get a rural TS-1 line from your Telco...1 Mbps...

This business plan is cheap, when compared to Telco's prices:

Viasat Business Unlimited Data Plan
15 down , 4 up , for $299.00/month
HD Quality (typically 1080p)
After 300 GB of data usage...may prioritize
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3603 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
The reason the satellite took so long to reach its orbital slot was it used electric propulsion not a chemical propulsion system. The sister satellite most likely used chemical propulsion. Electric propulsion has its pluses and minuses, with the big minus it takes longer to move a satellite.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Yeah a little too costly for me I guess, darn it!
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 106 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Chill people.  When it happens, it happens and until it happens it hasn't happened yet.  Jump the shark and put it out before all the bugs and problems are worked out and then all the new people signed up prematurely will pitch a fit.

Takes a lot of time to roll out the modems, new satellite dishes along with the hardware and to get that out to the hundreds of various dealers and then get the people trained on the setup of the new systems, ect.  Give it time.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser. The launch partner was EutelSat with 172B. Which was a 100% electric propulsion satellite vs VS2 being partially electric. They still arrived two months sooner.

http://news.eutelsat.com/pressrelease...
(Edited)
Photo of WoodyStrokerCat .

WoodyStrokerCat .

• 60 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I wish them luck on finding people that will pay 150 to 200 dollars a month for internet. This could be a major flop.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 51 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Or they could be pricing it so residential consumers won't buy into it leaving the bandwidth for commercial application .
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Woody, remember the Good Old Days?

Female Librarians on Horseback

WoodyStrokerCat .

• 60 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Yeah, FTA and being able to stream movies. I can go on Yahoo and the ads play perfectly, but you click on a link to read a story and it takes 3 minutes to load. I wonder what's up with that.

WoodyStrokerCat .

• 60 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
That's possible Kevin.
Photo of GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So what are the upload speeds?
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Those prices are nuts i was hoping for them to come down with new launch but all i see is priority data go down and prices stayed the same or raised.And the promo induct rate make no sense typical satalite company
(Edited)
Photo of Dan White

Dan White

• 87 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I think the Natives are getting restless. Almost March and no new plans and the few plans that do come to light sounds terrible and expensive.  I hope Viasat can deliver. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2825 Posts
  • 1785 Reply Likes
I don't think the pricing is ridiculous. You chose to live in the country. Services like municipal water and sewer, and fiber optic cable and internet just aren't available. Satellite internet is our only option, and to have a service like Viasat out here with the trees and the cows is welcome.

As for pricing, when I subscribed with Exede in April 2012, I paid $80.00 a month for 15 GB of data. Several months ago I moved up to the Freedom 150 GB plan for $100.00 a month.

The cost of each satellite is well over $600,000.00, and that does not include the costly ground stations to complete the  network operation.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
I can see a business paying $200+. But that is a lot of money for just internet.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 436 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: "... see a business paying $200+..."

UK: Avanti SuperFast Satellite Broadband

Biggest consumer plan...118.71 US Dollar for 60 Gigs
Photo of Dan White

Dan White

• 87 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Steve I just hoping for better.  Think I will just stay with my Freedom plan.

• 2825 Posts
  • 1785 Reply Likes
The Freedom plan is by far the best plan on Viasat right now.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 460 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Everyone says that, but, it isn't available anywhere anymore is it?  So why all the kudo's to it?  What do you think the best plan available NOW is?
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 111 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I kind of wished I kept my freedom plan, oh well, thought 10 bucks was nice to save at the time! My speeds are okay though, I shouldn't complain too much about it. On the Silver 25 unlimited now, it's fine for now!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1039 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
I think you mean well over $600,000,000.00.  :) 

• 2825 Posts
  • 1785 Reply Likes
GabeU, you are correct. My mistake, I meant to say $600 Million.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 169 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hmm I went to check and I dont show any plans available oh my 
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I am beginning to wonder if Nationwide is going to happen on Feb 28th..  starting to feel that is not happening either..
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Here's what one Elite Dealer is saying and on the 28th may be the key... obviously don't contact if not your dealer or service area.

http://www.lakecountrysat.com/2018/01/05/existing-customer-plan-upgrade-instructions/
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
So, some already know the beams for their areas.,.  would be nice to share, not like that would change, just to know what will be available..

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Nah that's not very specific, sounds like Viasat is just planning for a grand nationwide rollout on February 28 for maximum marketing impact/exposure.

Heck, they haven't even made a formal press release yet!
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3592 Posts
  • 2097 Reply Likes
Sure it's not Feb 29th? (Pun intended)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Those prices for what you get are a complete joke. $150-$200 a month for a lousy 100-150 GB before you hit "priority" data. Hell, some video game downloads these days will take 60GB or more!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
You can always get a great deal from Hughesnet!

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 367 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Hughes is definitely worse. I was just hoping for better deals from Viasat considering all the talk about how revolutionary the new satellite is. Instead, they're offering less data and higher prices. I'm sticking with my Freedom plan for now.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have used a whopping 39GB this month and it takes 3 minutes to load a web page. I tried watching a video, and that was pointless, since it buffers every 10 seconds. What a great deal for $170/month!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1039 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
I keep waiting, but all I'm seeing are 12Mbps plans, and for the price it's just not worth it compared to what I already have.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
What do you have now?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
fmj77 you have the best plan. Even the Platinum plan for $200 dollars isn't as good. Same data and less resolution as the Freedom plan. Why are you disappointed?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3612 Posts
  • 2108 Reply Likes
Probably because the Freedom Plan isn't available anymore, so others can't take advantage of it.

But you are correct. It is better than the Platinum Plan. 1080p and the same amount of priority data as the "unlimited" plan. As long as a person stays under 150GB/month, the Platinum plan doesn't offer much other than faster speeds. But how much speed does a person need?
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1039 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
What do you have now?
HughesNet. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 436 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: 28th

I think that was written up in early January.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3920 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
If speaking of the Lake Country link, yes that was the original date it was written - this is a fairly recent change to the original and he simply failed to update the date it was updated (I think and have been following his updates there).
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 436 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: Nationwide

Getting WiFi modems may mean long lasting (persistent) IP addresses, which means the marketers will know who you are, and every other "peeping Tom."

PS: Big Brother will be watching:-)
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 96 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
The VS-2 50 mbps gold plan is available in my zip code, although I'm not switching from my silver 25 legacy plan due to the higher amount of priority data I currently have.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 436 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
ViaSat-2 is a fine-tuned machine compared to conventional commercial satellites, not unlike a high-performance automobile,” he said. “It’s going to take a little time and effort to tune properly, but the resulting increase in performance compared to its peers in space will be remarkable.”

Slide Rule Talk...gotta read the fine manual first....
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 189 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Well, again for myself,  it is the video resolution I am going for.. I could care less about the speed.. I would be happy with 12 to 20 mbps, but the only way to get better video is to give up my Data..  that just frustrates me to no end.. cause I am going to have to go to gold, which is going to cost me 50 gigs a month..