Scheduled installation a no go

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I was scheduled for installation today @ 1. Installer called and said the satellite has been down since Thursday...but he could still install the equipment...lol. Whats going on here? I have searched through threads and have found minimal complaints of outages. Also searched the web for any recent news pertaining to outages and found nothing.
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Brian

Brian

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Should I bail???
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 335 Posts
  • 231 Reply Likes
All I can say is make sure you do your homework and fully understand what internet options are available to you. If you do select satellite, make sure you understand its limitations.
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Yes, what ExSatUser said. 
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 409 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
Call Viasat directly and tell them what your installer has said. It may be an effort to stall your install.
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks..I had high expectaions for Viasat being as though they recently launched a new satellite and I dont "game". Currently I have Verizon DSL with a whopping 2-3 mbps! Comcast sent me a proposal of $100,000 to hook up along existing utility poles at a distance of 1300' from my house. Verizon Fios wont even entertain the thought. So it seems all Im left with is the satellite providers. Hughes Net seemed to be comparable on paper but Viasat with the "unlimited " aspect seemed like the better option. Still curious as to why they are saying its been out four days and only a handful of comments..maybe because its common place? At my prior residence about one mile from my new residence , I was apparently spoiled with Comcast xfinity x1 with 150/150 mbps. Absolutely no complaints other than I was told I could transfer the service which was not true ( they even sent a tech to my new residence to verify prior to moving . The saga continues!!!
Anyways thanks again!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 791 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
Brian, you might be better off staying with DSL. In my experience even slower DSL for the most part outperforms Viasat. Also, Viasat isn't truly unlimited. Once you go over a certain threshold of priority data, your service will be throttled big time. Also, I have no idea what your installer is talking about. There has been no major outage.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 335 Posts
  • 231 Reply Likes
A lot of us had high expectations.

There is a reason I no longer use satellite internet.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 791 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Viasat 3, Oneweb, SpaceX and Amazon to all give me better options in the future.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 83 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
if you can get comcast or fiber 1300 ft from the house do yourself a favor and install a small shed, and buy 2 nanostations form ubiquiti for 100 dollars, 1 at shed , 1 at your house , consider what happened today a sign 
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you!
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I'm on VS-1, beam 318. It was operational this morning when I left out for work, and was operational all weekend (with the exception of last night - we had a storm roll through).
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 162 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
There was infact a massive outage on several Viasat2 beams for quite a while

Buy from a local Dealer to get a real local person to talk to
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 417 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Any further details?