SB2 modem upgraded to UT-3.7.8.6.2, now it is very difficult to get connection

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I have a remote off grid cabin, with no cell service, and am having a problem I am wondering if there may be a solution to or that someone else has seen.  All summer long, the connection has been 100% stable with no issues.  I leave the satellite on all of the time and connect remotely, even when not at the cabin.  About 3 weeks ago, the cabin suddenly went off line.  I just arrived here last night.

I reset the modem, and sure enough, it came back, and proceeded to do a software update.  After that update, it rebooted and would not reconnect.  I could see it on MITe connect, range, etc. and get good signal (-9.0 SNR).  MITe would then have trouble connecting to it, and the modem would reboot.  Sometimes going to all 4 leds solid, sometimes all flashing, sometimes just a single one.

Connecting a computer directly to it revealed that the web page would only partially come up, then immediately go to an Internal Server 500 http error.  After that point, it was clear TCP/IP connectivity was completely lost to the modem.  Neither MITe, nor web browser could connect.

After about 20 reboots this morning, low and behold I am back online, and afraid to touch anything.  This is literally my only communication option up here, so calling tech support and rebooting will mean losing tech support :-).

I am a software engineer with extensive software and networking experience, and it is clear to me that there may be some issues with this software update, as even if there were an external hardware issue, I would expect the web interface to still be available.  I could see how a bad tria or something might overload it, but the 500 error sure sounds more like software, and the timing issue is suspect as well.

Right now, it is humming along with no real difference on anything.

Anyone else seeing something like this?  I really need my internet to work, and I am on a remote dirt road that standard viasat service will absolutely not come to (requires high clearance vehicle)....  Any ideas or thoughts?  Soon the road will close and my only access will be my tracked utv, and was hoping to monitor the cabin and work from here remote during the winter.  I am sure there will be no tech then...

Jim Olsen
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
My guess is it was just part of the firmware update process and sometimes that takes a few reboots and updates to become stable. I think you will be fine.
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nope, been rebooting all day and no go. Had to drive 30 minutes to the nearest place with Hotspot.... It rarely comes up all the way and gets hung at the very end. Always ranges and alway gets to network entry then crashes. Every now and then I get 15 minutes of connectivity
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 331 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Power down the modem for no less than 4 minutes.
And give it another shot

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3164 Posts
  • 2038 Reply Likes
Try the powering down as Bob Lexus suggested. I have had the software upgrade UT-3.7.8.6.2 for a while now and have had absolutely no problems with my modem.
Photo of Justin Brown

Justin Brown

• 6 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
What were the cable resistant and cable attenuation metric readings while you were in the modem?
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
All numbers are good and exactly as normal.  I have tried power down overnight, and all kinds of things and basically it crashes after network entry in one of several different ways.  4 leds flashing, all on solid, but not really doing anything (MITe can't see it), or continue cycling reboot after the 4 leds.  Always gets ranged just fine.  Sometimes hangs on DHCP, the connectivity to MITe always seems to crash after not long.  Thinking the modem is bad.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1456 Posts
  • 861 Reply Likes
Maybe got fried during firmware update.
Photo of Jim Olsen

Jim Olsen

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is my guess, corrupt nvram or something like that.  Have a service call in and trying to figure out if I can meet them and get a modem swap, as now the road is 4wd only.  Got over a foot of snow....  Back in the coffee shop now :-)
Photo of K S

K S

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've had to have the tech over and he replaced the modem as you could not connect with the modem. His guess was a software update that was interrupted by weather conditions. God bless you. Jesus is our hope for the future !