Misleading info

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Old post

ordered direct tv service and was encouraged to consider adding exede internet service, so they transferred me to exede and I was given a long sales pitch and agreed to the service...was asked what kind of a net user we were, explained we did a lot of general surfing, but watched a ton of Netflix movies to which the sales person told me that the 20gb pkg would be "more than enough" for our usage type.... so we agreed to have it installed and from day 1 movies on Netflix would buffer repeatedly and then 11 days into this we were already out of data and extremely frustrated!  called customer service and was told basically that were up the creek and we "should have known when" we signed up regardless if the sales person told us the wrong information...the cust service rep then checked some settings and told us our modem had "never been working from day 1", but we were unable to get out of it...so her next thought was to send out a technician to ensure the system was working right and capable, if it wasn't working correctly or capable we could "get out of our contract" as long as we returned the equipment in good working condition...this is 11 days in mind you...so the technician came out today at 13 days in and told us the system will "never be capable of meeting your needs"...and that we should call exede today and give them this info, which we did and were told we were essentially SOL and would be charged termination fees if we wanted to cancel our service, which our first cust serv rep specifically said we would be charged if the technician recommended it wasn't capable of meeting our needs or working correctly, which he(the tech) did tell us....but this cust serv rep today told us that was incorrect and we would be chrgd to cancel...seems like everyone we have talked to have said the previous person we spoke to was incorrect...feel really misled, frustrated, and dis-satisfied!!!  this is the worst service I have ever had and by no means lives up to the bologna they sell you to get you to sign up!!  unless this is the only possibility you have for internet service, go elsewhere!!!  no ethics!!! 

Photo of Scotty Edenloff

Scotty Edenloff

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Scotty, this is not acceptable by any means and I am truly sorry you have had to go through this kind of experience with us. /: Please send us your information to exedelistens@viasat.com and we will see if there's anything we can do to help. Thanks.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Scotty my goodness that sounds terrible. I have DirectV and was on dial-up when first got directv. At that time they  had Wildblue and were very good explaining everything. But then Wildblue seem to get to many people on one beam and Directv had went to Exede. I got my Exede directly through Exede and don't know whether that  makes a difference because when have a problem I go directly to Exede and have never had any problems. They have always been very nice to me. I have had Exede for 2 years now and my Tria went bad. The outside contractors they use came and changed it and did extra work to make sure everything was just right. Maybe I just got lucky but don't think any business should give you a run around like you seem to be getting. Hope everything gets straighten out for you. Helen
Photo of Mackenzie Rose Shinall

Mackenzie Rose Shinall

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Scotty, I can totally relate. I got this service exactly one week ago and I had watched maybe two movies on it so far and of course general web surfing. Then today I find out that in this short amount of time that we had already used 20 GB. Of course customer service says basically we should've been told that there was a data cap and they can't do anything.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Mackenzie, I saw you posted about the issues you are having under "misleading information", so I responded there. Thank you.
Photo of Robbie

Robbie

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like

I have had exede for three months now and I cant beleave how me and my family are being treated.I had a 19.00 dollar bill left over from the previous month and I called customer service and explane to her that I didn't know what happen with the card on file,she explane back to me that it will be o.k that they would not shut my service off for anything $20.00 or less, I then told her about my pay date for the next month and she also said that would be fine and that if any service is interrupted just call and look at the notes. The next month comes and 6 days from the payment date I was suspended and I called them and here is what I got, The $20.00 dollars that was owed and I already had plans to pay  was the reason for the suspeneded service, I ask them to look at the notes like I was instructed to do and there comment was pay the $20.00 dollars and we will start you're service back, O.K I did as they asked again and my internet came on but my phone service didn't I had to call them right back up once more and this time I was told that they could cut my service again and cost another $20.00 to get it back just minutes after I done paid $20.00 dollars but lucky for me I was recording so now this dam company is going to start treating us right or I see a law suit in the future........

Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Robbie, I am very sorry that happened to you. There was definitely confusion with our resume process. The phone service can take up to 24 hours to resume after a payment, which is why it wasn't working after your payment.

Regardless, we should have handled this better, I apologize. If you are still having any problems, please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com so that I can work things out with you.
Photo of Dawn Core

Dawn Core

• 9 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
We got excede in Feb.  We have 30gb.  I don't watch movies, nor does my husband.  My grandson watched some cartoons the first week.  We went through the ENTIRE 30gb in ONE week. Well, according to excede we did.
 I attend college online and as of this week, have to watch video lectures because I'm taking an ASL (American Sign Language) class.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have stayed with my old phone company!!  I have to LEAVE my home and go to my parents home to do my school work.  THIS IS NOT WORTH THE $98 I PAY PER MONTH.
I would be more than willing to pay a little more for 100gb or unlimited, but I'm told that it is not available in my area. I don't understand this at all!!!  If you can give me as much as 50gb, then why not more!  Oh yeah, I can BUY more!!!!!!!  I'm starting to think that it would be worth paying the fees to get out of this contract!!!!   I am so FRUSTRATED with this company!!!!  I regret my decision to sign up with this company EVERY SINGLE TIME I NEED TO GET ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Dawn, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your usage. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information and please reference this comment. I will take a look at what options we have available for you.
Photo of Nancy Ruiz

Nancy Ruiz

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Around 12/20/2015 we called Direct TV to make changes to our tv viewing service, since couple months prior, we were notified by Verizon that Verizon and Direct TV were no longer bundled together in our service agreement with Verizon, and we needed to deal directly with Direct TV about our tv subscription service for now on independently from Verizon, which we were still paying the internet service. At the time we were paying around $150.00 when both services were bundled together Direct TV and Internet with Verizon on the same bill. We then proceeded in contacting Direct TV about making changes to our service and possibly cancel to save money, the representative told us that if we kept the service with Direct TV, it would lower our bill,and give us a really discounted bundle offer, if we cancelled the internet from Verizon, that basically included Direct TV and internet for around $80.00 dollars combined, but with no mention of service being independent in service and contract away from Direct TV, with a third party nor the name of the company which the internet service would be through, nor that it would be a separate contract through this third party company (ViaSat Inc. Exede). in conversation with Direct TV representative we agreed to a new agreement based on conversation over the phone, which only mention we would have a bundle cost of around $80.00 for new agreement with Direct TV programming service and Internet. On that same conversation with Direct TV represantative  were scheduled to have two separate installations done for our new service agreement, one for the Direct TV and separate for the internet, which at the point there was no mention it would be through a third party for Internet at this point still, nor any mention of separate contract agreements. around 12/24/2015 the separate installer came to install the Internet, prior to finalizing the install the technician requested for a credit card, but with no charge on the card, he indicating it was required for only to activate to service with credit card on file, so I proceeded at that moment to call over the phone, my husband Ricardo Garcia, which was at work at the time to  speak with the technician about his request to use a credit card  on file, to confirm with him and to see if it was OK, my husband spoke with the technician over the phone, again the technician mention he needed a credit card on file to finalize the install with no charge. My husband gave his credit card over the phone, to proceed. In that install visit from the internet service technician made no mention still of billing or service contract agreements, he did not bring any service contract agreement to mention the separation of contracts, nor any contract to explain that we were tied to any term contract either, and because it was done through Direct TV, which is a company that has been around and its reputable, we assumed it was all taken cared off through Direct TV, just the same way we had the bundle agreement through Verizon for Direct TV service combined.  The problems started a few days after the internet being installed, we had connection problems with the internet, the modem kept interrupting service, so when we called Direct TV about the connection issue, that we were told we had to call a separate number and company to fix the issues, and that they had no saying in that process, we then found out we were with a separate company Via Sat Inc., but still no mention of separate billing and contract agreement either. in the first month of January the service was plagued with connection issues with the modem, customer service was terrible overtime we called, we were even threaten to pay $180.00 to replace the modem if it was faulty, we told them it was unfair specially when the service had not worked for the entire month since it first got installed. Finally around the end of January they sent a technician for the third time to confirm it was a faulty modem, but indicated he would mention to his supervisors that it was a manufacture defect so we wouldn't be the ones responsible in paying for the faulty box. After the modem got replaced we found out through this month of February that the service did not perform as was stated by the Direct TV representative, again it was Direct TV who sold us on the service, we were told that the service would be up to 25Mbps for internet speed but with a 5 gigs of data limit, but it would only drop to 15Mbps after the 5 gigs of Data used. The problem is the internet is worthless when it comes to speed, I just tested the speed through the internet, here are the results as follows. .80Mbps for download, and 3.78Mbps for upload. We called a few weeks ago and told us their might be a service call charge for now checking what is wrong, we have gotten so tired of dealing with ViaSat Inc. or as its being called Exede/ WildBlue, we were just letting things be until we tried to resolve it with the Attorney General. But what prompted to finally submit complain is when my husband Ricardo Garcia noticed on his email a $83.80 charge on 12/28/15, $80.78 charge on 01/28/2016 and a $80.78 charge on 02/28/2016 on the very same bank card we were asked to use by the technician on the day of install. We called Exede customer service and thats when we just found out they are charging us $80.78 a month separately from Direct TV, we asked them on what bases, and their only response is, that is in a verbal binding agreement when we spoke to Direct TV about the service, we mention there was never any mention of $79.00 a month being the amount for service either when , their reply was that it automatically a binding agreement when the service got installed, even without a contract letter or verbal disclosure from the installer, they say it only has to be accepted to be installed to be a binding agreement, I then replied, how can that be, if there was no mention of terms when speaking with Direct TV over the phone representative not direct from ViaSat or Exede representative. there response is it don't matter, and if we want to disconnect they would be happy to do so, but we have to pay $15 dollars per month of agreed remaining two year contract, which again there was never mentioned either prior to accepting, which again we were told it was automatically agreed when the technician installed the service, which mounts to $330.00 disconnection fee if we decided to cancel. We called Direct Tv about this mess, all they can say, is they are sorry for the misunderstanding, even after we told them we were misled by their customer service representative, which also also misled us to believe it would be bundled through them with a only $20 dollar a month charge for internet on top of renewing service with Direct TV , it turns out we are now paying more than what we were paying with Verizon prior to canceling the internet service, it now mounts to $81.00 a month from Direct TV, and $80.00 from Exede/Wildblue ViaSat Inc. again Direct TV response was by saying we are sorry for the misunderstanding, and understood how upset we were, but it was no longer in their hands, and we have to resolve it with Exede directly. We need help, this is a nightmare, we are very disappointed with Direct Tv for the misleading selling of a third party internet service without disclosing the true charge and mentioning of third party as provider and contract and service as being different than theirs, we entrusted in Direct TV of being a reputable and professional, for that matter in taking some accountability of who they are including in their product and services in their sales upgrades and without any disclaimers in case of problems. its very upsetting that the only reason we are dealing with this problem with ViaSat Inc. in the first place, its because it was referred to us by Direct TV, we did not shopped and seeked Exede/ WildBlue, ViaSat Inc. independently. We feel like the worst bait and switch as an action was giving to us from Direct TV, we are so upset with Direct TV that again if we tried to cancel them there would be a big cancellation fee from them too, at this point more importantly we and would like to seek help from the Attorney Generals office, to help us resolve the issue with Exede/ Wildblue ViaSat Inc. cancel this service if possible and get our money back for a service that doesn't work, and hopefully seek internet service with Verizon or other reputable company, we really need Internet service for my husband work and at current time cannot afford to change over until we are able to avoid the penalty charge we are threaten to pay for canceling. Please Help us. Best Regards Nancy Ruiz
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Nancy, My comments may not help you much but maybe they will help someone else. It sounds like you were not given full disclosures (if not outright lied to) by the sales rep. It is also evident you didn't take responsibility for researching what you were getting into. It is naive for anyone to take ANY phone salesperson's word for ANYTHING - especially over the phone. You will find throughout this forum the repeated recommendations to always deal with a local dealer rather than using online or phone ordering. The promotions will be the same. The only connection between DTV and Exede is that they can bundle and save you $10 per month. Any local dealer can do the bundle for you even if you already have DTV from someone else. There is a contract that is supposed to be signed using an electronic signature at the time of installation. Sometimes the installer will take it upon himself to sign for you although we are strictly forbidden to do so. You may have a case if you can prove someone else signed your agreement. Otherwise you may have to pay for not doing your homework before ordering. Good luck.
Photo of Nancy Ruiz

Nancy Ruiz

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It sounds to me, like the response from a company with bad business practice to bind people into a horrible service. 1st of all there was no way of doing research on your company, when we were no seeking to get internet in the first place, we were initially calling Direct TV to cancel or change service, its when speaking to the rep of Direct TV , the rep encourage us to make a switch from Verizon, to save money on the bundle, with no explanation of name of company who we would be dealing with on the internet service, which by the way, we never had any problems with the previous internet service, we only accepted to change to lower the bill, which at the end, this horrible experience ended costing us more,, an there was ever any reason to doubt the recommendation from the Direct TV rep, being that we have dealt with for many years and is a reputable company, we assumed we would expect the same quality service, which we didnt receive, we had no way of expecting deceptive sales pitch from Direct TV also, or that we should of spoken with a local dealer when you are speaking to the main source. At the end we are very dissapointed with Direct TV, for changing their business practive, in being deceptive in offering and selling to the unsuspected customer a way lowered quality product than therirs with bad business practices in customer service, and quality. And now that we are dealing with these problems, and being able to research this company, based on the complaint blogs all over the internet regarding ViaSat Inc, Exede, Wildblue, we are not the only ones that have fallen victim of this horrible product and service, seems this company thrives on deceptive business practices, not coming through with fixing issues or giving the customer the opportinity to resolve the problems in a fair way.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.