Returning Equipment on Dish or a $125 Fee?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I was just told by a CSR that I would need to find someone to come and take the Tria off of the peak of my two story home or I was going to be charged $125 for someone to come out.  This is the first time I have ever heard of any satellite service provider requesting such a thing.  I live in a very wooded area and understand why the original technician chose to place the dish where it is, but is such a steep roof and so high, the technician that came out last month almost refused to climb up there.  It took him two ladders to even get to where he needed to be just to readjust the dish and now they want me to climb up there to remove parts of the satellite dish?  I am sorry, but I don't believe it should be my responsibility as the consumer to do such a thing.  I don't have any ladders that would even come close to reaching the dish and/or any friends that I would ask to climb up there. 
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yes all satellite companies even cable companies what their equipment back when you cancel their service.  What gets me the most about these posts is that you the customers don't want to climb up on the roof for fear of your safety and same thing for your friends you don't want them to do it either but yet you want the techs to come out and remove the TRIA or during the initial install have them put it on the roof.  I understand in your situation that was most likely the only place to get line of sight but still either you or a tech or someone has to climb up there or you pay the 300 for not returning the equipment.  Now in some cases the exede mods here can work with you and maybe get you a price break but that 125 is not going to exede that is strictly for the tech to come out and climb up on your roof.
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

First, let me start by saying that I fully understand that they would like their modem back and am more than willing to send this back, but the parts off of the dish itself?  This is a first for me and I have had Dish Network and Direct TV service in the past and neither of them required me to remove any part of the dish after the contract ended.

Secondly, I take offense to your comment about me expecting the techs to come out and put the dish on my home....yes, that is what I expect them to do.  This is the profession they have chosen and have the proper equipment and training to perform their  job in a safe manner.  This is not about what I am expecting from the techs, but is about Exede's expectations of me as their customer. 

I still do not feel that I should be responsible for equipment that "they" placed on my roof. I paid my contract in full for the past two years and if they would like the TRIA back, then they should send someone out to come and get it at their own expense and not expect the consumer to pay for something that should be considered a cost of doing business.

Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I am surprised that Dish or Direct tv didn't want the LNB back.  I guess the difference being that with those TV companies their LNB is only receiving the signal from the satellite it is not sending any data back where as ViaSat's TRIA also is sending a signal back to the satellite and that is why they want it back because it is more complicated/ expensive then the TV LNB's and I'm sure there are some regulatory parts involved in it as well.

Now as far as your last statement about wanting Exede to come get it, I believe the phone support said they would send someone and also I addressed that as well saying 
 Now in some cases the exede mods here can work with you and maybe get you a price break but that 125 is not going to exede that is strictly for the tech to come out and climb up on your roof.
no also in most cases that is if you have health issues or something preventing you from climbing on the roof, but never the less you can send exedelistens@viasat.com an email with your account and contact info and they will discuss any options with you.
Photo of Russell Deihs

Russell Deihs

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
or you could just say "to hell with it" and just not pay it
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Think of it this way you have a 2yr lease on a new car and when the lease is up you decide not to renew it but yet you refuse to turn the car back in to the dealer.  What do you think will happen in that case, you will get charged for the car.
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

The comparison you have listed above is not relevant to the topic in which I am referring to.  And I am not refusing to give anything back...they are more than welcome to come and get it....they can take the entire dish back if they so choose, but that isn't what they want.  They only want a part of it removed and sent back to them.

Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It is a direct comparison to what you said, and as the phone support told you they will be happy to come and get it but if that's the case you will have to pay the tech to do so. Only other option is to talk to the mods and they will discuss any options they have with you, but usually the price break or them paying the tech is if you have health issues preventing you from being able to do so.
(Edited)
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Lol love it.... just pay for a tech visit.....nothing to see here
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Lol to the statement... the cost of doing business, amusing..... yea, just write it off...... you know... exede or the tech should just bite the bullet and take the loss..... how about you take the loss...... you disagree right? Well why should any one take a loss. Pay for the tech visit, problem solved..... THAT is a cost of doing business. Funny what people get bent out of shape and up in arms over.
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

I am not asking the technician to take the loss....if Exede wants the TRIA back, then Exede should be paying the technicians to remove them. 

Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Look don't get me wrong I get where you're coming from and I get the frustration but that's part of your contract that if you ever cancel the service you are responsible for returning the equipment back to exede.
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for your input.  I will contact them and see if there is anything they are willing to do to assist me.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Raine5193, it’s understandable, sometimes equipment retrieval can be a hassle for some who may be elderly, have medial conditions, or existing roof issues which may limit their ability to which we do offer a huge discount. For other circumstances we can address on case by case bases. I would be more than happy to see what I can do for you. Please feel free to send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you 
(Edited)
Photo of Raine5193

Raine5193

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for your help.  My contract is ending soon.  Once it has expired, I will contact you with my account information.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Raine5193, look forward to hearing from you.  
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's a scam, they know that 80% + will not climb on the roof to disassemble a dish. So they trick people into getting more money from them. It should be clearly stated when installed that YOU will need to climb on a roof and perform a technicians job, without any training, potentially risking your life or be charged additional money. I am very surprised that Exede is willing to accept liability for this. I received instructions, telling me to do this, which makes Exede accountable. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.