Requesting A Post In Regards To Incorrect Data Meter Usage

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No need for further response.

I've read multiple post on this forum along with speaking with several of my neighbors and there seems to be a trend with the usage meter not functioning correctly. I've done everything recommended on this forum to remedy my issues along with trying an experiment with no devices connected this month and I am still getting DAP'd within a week or so of monthly reset.

Along with these issues, I've also noticed that the Exede moderators will never comment on these data meter issues. They always request emails be sent for some unknown reason and nothing is ever posted in the forums.

Is there any way a moderator can post a response to these issues on the forum so everyone can read it? I don't mind communicating by email as long as you can also post a valid response to the issue here on the forum so everyone can read and have an idea of what the problem is.

When you you refuse to post on this issue in the forums it makes your company seem very shady and makes us, the customers, feel very cheated. I am anxiously awaiting your response.
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Chris, 

I am glad you have these concerns. I understand you point of view, however we're not being shady by any means. Every customer's issue is taken individually on this community board and our Forum. When a customer reports an issue with their usage meter, we would rather them email us to take their conversation online so we can personally assist them to see what their issue is. 

Not every customer experiences the same issue with the usage meter or data usage which is why we don't want to post any information publicly as it could be that that specific customer isn't having that same issue. 

I know I have emailed you a couple times to help understand your issues so we can further investigate and fix your concerns. I will be sending you a reply email shortly here Chris to help get your account further looked into. 

Thank you.
Photo of Alan Mayrell

Alan Mayrell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Exede bandwidth meter is not accurate nor is it working properly. As to the why, only the provider really knows the answer. If you want to keep a true tab of your bandwidth usage, download this free bandwidth meter from the web, just Google Networx, it is free and very simple to use. Put in on all of your computers that are connected to the web via the satellite, also, you can just go direct to the satellite modem to do your own metering. It is accurate and honest. To do it right, start your metering on the day that Exede starts another billing cycle, wait a month, then if the two metering processed don't jive, file a complaint with the FCC, sending one letter to both the provider and the gov regulators. Also, after maybe gathering two or more months of meter checking and all are showing discrepancies, the time might be good to hire a law firm. As to discussing this with the "tech" at Exede, you are wasting your time.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Never received a reply. Still no internet.
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Chris, I emailed you back earlier.
Photo of Mike Higgins

Mike Higgins

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
i have been a customer for 2 weeks now. My first week was the last week of the billing cycle. My usage was almost peaked for the one week.

This past week is my first week on the new billing cycle. I'm at 80% already for no logical reason. I was on the phone with Exede for over 2 hours yesterday (transferred through 3 people) who have no understanding why. They looked into my usage, and the best i could get is that there was one day where almost 5GB was chewed up mostly from gaming and from a category that is not defined in their system.

I don't game (ever)- and i only use internet moderately and check email. I'm in IT- i understand bandwidth and what can be done that is data intensive- i haven't done anything this month and expect to be well below 1GB- however i am almost at 10GB.

To reinforce my thoughts on things, before i had internet, i'd tether- and i have a max of 4GB per month that i never reached before in my life. Now with 10GB allowance, i am reaching my limits based on 'one strange day per month' that nobody at Exede can understand.

I'm very frustrated and feeling very cheated. i can't get any answers, and i'm not getting the product that i'm paying good money for.

my email address is iammikehiggins@gmail.com
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I tried projecting my daily usage for the time we use the service and it should be way below what the usage meter was showing. Doing a little light surfing a couple of hours a day shouldn't be anywhere near 1 GB or 1.5 GB, but that's what our monitor tells us all the time...
Photo of Mike Higgins

Mike Higgins

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
i kept suggesting to the 3 different people that is spoke with that it appears there is a serious problem with the meter- it is not accurate. nobody seems technical in technical support whatsoever, and has no response to that thought.

until i can get my eyes or ears on some real data, i will continue to believe i am getting scammed and billed inaccurately
Photo of Jonswyf

Jonswyf

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
These users seem to be having the same issue that I am...I have used a tether for wireless internet access for quite a while until getting Exede. I barely used 1GB/month on a 5GB plan, doing the exact things I currently do on Exede. My usage was reset yesterday, & it's showing I've already used 1.5GB!! I just started with Exede last month, & had to purchase additional usage on my 10GB plan...Something isn't right here & like previous users posted, I feel cheated. I am VERY unhappy with Exede & will not recommend this service to anyone. Should have went with Hughesnet....
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Jennifer, 

If you will please, send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your phone number and the best time to call. I would like to help you to better understand your situation and resolve the matter. Thank you.
Photo of kim moore

kim moore

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same thing is happening to me. I called and they told me to unplug my wireless when I'm not using it. Done that and still data usage is through the roof. How is this my problem to fix? It's the company that has the problem they should fix this. I'm reluctantly glad that I'm not the only one having this issue, although it doesn't look like they are addressing it. How is it our fault. We are paying for a service. Promises were made on their part. It was all great things when they were trying to sell us their product. I talked to an attorney today, she told me that I would be able to get out of the contract because of this. If you decide to quit them don't let them intimidate you into paying the severance fees.
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi, Kim, if you are having issues with your usage, I would be happy to research this for you.  Please email me your telephone number and the best time to call to exedelistens@viasat.com.  Thanks!
Photo of luvtodrum

luvtodrum

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I am showing as of today I had already used 3.1 GB of usage. That is absurd !! I feel my free zone used Friday night has been included in this. I had done all my updates that night and feel that you had not had me in the free zone. And before you ask, yes it was after 12:00. We are not doing anything different and if anything we are doing LESS !!!
I want you to tell me which day was the most usage??? We do not watch vids nor music or any major email down or uploads and still using this much !! I have my wireless password protected and even have it shutdown sometimes for precautionary measures and still have this much !!! I am about ready just to go ahead and pay the difference of what is left on my contract and move on to another provider !!! I feel you are just trying to make us upgrade to more gigs . I tried calling but was on hold forever...maybe other people having these problems too and it is not always our blame like you always try to put on me and others. I have done all I can to keep usage down and still getting worse instead of better...There is no one in this household but me and my wife and my wireless is secured !!!!Like I said we do not do anything to use this much usage and especially in a 6 day time frame. Just tell me the day of the usage and where it was used at if you can even do that
I was with Comcast for years and never ever went over 8 GB a month including updates in there too and always watching videos too.
I have done some IT work in the past and know what is involved and how to work this usage and something is not right..
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Marty,

I received your email and I sent you a reply back. We can definitely help you out to better understand where your data is accumulating and I would certainly appreciate an opportunity to talk with you about this. Can you please send me an email back to your one you sent us with a better time for me to call you? Thanks.
Photo of luvtodrum

luvtodrum

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Well,I have gone over and paid for 3 GB more so far and my time doesn`t start over until the 24th. I am just going to give up.. I can not find any reason for all the useage and not getting any satisfaction from Exede although my last call was being sent to the team to look at so I will wait 72 hours on that....Exede said I had 3 peak days from what they could see and yeah that`s what I told them too duhhh !!! Goes from averaging .2 GB a day than peaks to 1.3-1.5 GB in 24 hours and doing nothing different ..I give up.....
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Marty, I would be happy to research your usage issues with you and help you find a resolution. If you can email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call, I will be happy to help.
Photo of Linda Gower

Linda Gower

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Marty,
They did help me. They found out that at midnight when my computer was off somehow the satellite increased 20 degrees and Gigs were being used. They suggested and we now turn OFF everything. Their Modem, our computer. Unplug it. Which we are now doing at night.
Also, the backup software I was using was set to scan and upload at 1:00 am but it was scanning and uploading all day long. We have also stopped using that program. Try unplugging the equipment.
Linda
Photo of luvtodrum

luvtodrum

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thank you Josh for the call and looking into my problem. Thank you so much for your help and any suggestions that may be the problem for this although as was mentioned there could only be a possible isolated problem from this and hopefully will work better now. Thanks for all your help !!!!
Photo of Linda Gower

Linda Gower

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am having trouble also. We are already at 4.7 usage and we are NOT on the computer all day. I set my updates to 1:00 am. When I was with WiFe45 I NEVER went over 5GB/month. I called Saturday and asked that I find out when the usage spiked - what hour and they said I would get a call back. I HAVE NOT received a call yet. We do not have children. We do not download video's. WE do not play games. Only check emails, Facebook and go to a few websites.
PLEASE ADVISE
linda@fsimpact.com
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Linda, I am sending you an email so I can assist you and help resolve your issues with your usage. 
Thank you. 
Photo of Linda Gower

Linda Gower

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I sent you my phone number. You have not called.
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Linda, sorry I missed you. I did email you back to communicate as to when I can follow back up with you for Monday. Thank you.
Photo of Janis

Janis

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having very simular issues. We went from a provider where we had 3G limits but kept using 5G a month. So we thought by switching to Excede we'd no longer have issues. However, as consistant with many other users, we keep using all 10G in the 1st week. That is crazy! We never do video, music, gamming, etc. Not sure how we could possibly be using this much. I've called into Excede many times with no help. All they can tell me is what "category" i'm using. However, no tips other than resetting our passwords to make sure no one is hacking. We do have anti-virus programs - Norton so we know that isn't an issue either. Now we are stuck with a 2 year contract and no internet after the 1st week or 2 in our cycle.
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Janis,
I certainly understand your concerns about your data usage. One thing I want you to be aware of is that cell phone internet and your home internet don't use the same amount of usage. Cell phone internet typically is more compressed, displays fewer ads and doesn't display video ads. I would definitely like to research your usage issues with you and help find a resolution. If you could please email exedelistens@viasat.com with your name and telephone number, I will be happy to give you a call.
Photo of Gayle Willett

Gayle Willett

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I will join this list of dis-satisfied users because of the usage amount. We never exceeded 6 gig with our 5 spot and now have to seriously monitor our usage of 10 gig. I believe I have reset the auto uploads to between 12 and 5 am, supposedly the free time. If I could get any type of cable or phone internet, Exede would be gone! I didn't have much better service when it was wildblue. I did not know that exede was the same company until after the install. No gaming or videos here. Gayle

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.