Recently switched from Exede 5-10 to Viasat Unlimited Bronze 12, but it is SO MUCH slower. Anyone else have this problem?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
It is so frustrating to have 'upgraded' my plan and equipment just to have internet connections be so much slower. No matter the platform (iPhone, laptop) and I am not near my 40 limit so no it isn't that. I use this for work - email, browser based conferencing - no games, videos, etc... Any ideas?
Photo of bond9031

bond9031

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Any ideas?

Something happens when a person has a major change in plans... things get messed up for a few days and then start working again.  To speed up the process you should and I mean you really should send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com to let them know what's happening.  They can push buttons that fix your problem.... or you can wait for the system to someday catch up to the plan, speed, usage, etc, and heal itself.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
I forgot to mention.....  Include your account number and contact information so they know who they're dealing with and can contact you about their fix.

Photo of Gary

Gary

• 152 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Signing in to follow! Wife was promoted and we might need more data and a higher plan. Our Liberty 12 works just fine 98% of the time unless there are storms and we have never come close to reaching our limits. I hate the thought of fixing something that is not broken and fear a switch to a higher plan might just be the breaking point as you are describing.
Photo of Charlie Comstock

Charlie Comstock

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Welcome to ViaSat! You have now entered the Twilight Zone of satellite internet service providers. Any attempt to contact customer service will only frustrate, confuse and inspire you to entertain the notion that maybe paying the huge sum just to cancel the service as a ViaBle option. After a while you will determine their cancellation fee is an actual component of their marketing department's business model. As long as there are independent sales agents knowingly, willingly, and happily bending the truth while boasting the amazing speeds that will be provided to you...and you happen to live in an area where your internet access options are extremely limited and their sales pitch sounds like 'manna from heaven'...there will be people like you and me blindly signing up for their service...and only ending up feeling duped. After a while you will come to terms with what is going on and realize that the sad state of affairs regarding the concept of 'Integrity' with American business has devolved at best into what one would expect from a third world country where there are no laws concerning false pretense, misrepresentation and deceptive bait and switch practices.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Charlie Comstock

What justifies your lame comment?  The customer implies speed was quite acceptable when saying compared to what they had, the new plan is "SO MUCH slower." 

A problem developed when the new plan was initialized and ViaSat can and will fix that.  I speak from experience.  Performance is very location-based and your wholesale slamming of  ViaSat is unfounded. 

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
There is nothing lame about his post. I have been promised over and over it would get better and it has only gotten worse over 2.5 yr. I dont use anywhere near my limit and my speeds are consistantly under 2Mbps when I get home. It has done no good whatsoever to call or give info to the email gods viasatlistens@viasat.com   who pushes a button and my problems go away.....NOT

Charlie Comstock

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Judge and Jury...I speak from absolute direct experience. .. .. I was told by a local sales rep that I would be receiving Bronze Unlimited with a 150 MB 'cap' that would be regulated to work with surrounding traffic after I meet my cap. Granted I did not have service from them prior to signing up for their Bronze program, my service was amazing for the first few days. I then noticed that my usage did not represent what was going on in my household. One day I went through 10 gb of data and I was gone during the time I was supposed to have used up the data. I called support and it was explained to me that somebody drove by my house, which happens to be out in the 'boonies', and stole my signal from their car....REALLY!!!! I then discovered I did NOT have 150 but a cap of 40 and once that cap was met I experienced download speeds as low as .11Mbps for sustained periods of time and it might jump to .54 Mbps and even slightly higher. I contacted the local agent that sold me the plan and they explained that I am still getting the 150 it is just how the systems works. the sales rep then sent me a report from customer support showing a chart with a signal strength in the mid teens...the only problem is that the date on the chart was before I had even signed up for the service. Please explain to me that if location is the reason why I experience download speeds of .11mbps why at times I get upwards of 20 Mbps and at this very moment I am getting 12.54 Mbps. Keep in mind that my monthly cycle recently started so I can reasonable expect decent signals off and on until I meet that magic 40. Please note that time of day does not seem to have a consistent predictable pattern of performance. Sadly, should I happen to be receiving a great signal during the day, the odds are that by evening when we are ready to sit and stream a Netflix movie, the speed available is such that the movie is constantly stopping to gain signal...in essence worthless.  I called about what I could do about the wildly fluctuating signal and it was explained to me that I could pay for a faster signal. When I asked about the data cap it was explained to me that the cap would remain at 40 but I would be paying for a faster download speed. I just don't get it. Are you aware of the WiFi capabilities of their Exede router...and can you offer any ideas on how to get the signal anywhere near the initial signal strength to go into another room? I started following all of the various boards and comments only to discover that I was not alone by any means....including those that had upgraded from previous plans such as Exede... So...after my initial experience with their local agent, my direct experience with the inconsistent wide range of signal strength, my almost embarrassing experiences with customer support staff and the outright lack of knowledge of what is going on .. I have to ask you why you are so determined to convince me that my ongoing problems with ViaSat are location-based. It seems to me that if the location of my dish was the problem, why am I receiving such an inconsistent wide range of signal strength?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Are you aware of the WiFi capabilities of their Exede router...and can you offer any ideas on how to get the signal anywhere near the initial signal strength to go into another room?

If speaking of this one (older bird - Viasat-1), yes it's a known issue of weak/inconsistent WiFi signals on that combo device. Those having the issue work around it by buying a reputable router, attaching it to the Viasat device and placing the Viasat device in bridge mode and turn off its WiFi. Try using a wired connection if possible to see if it is indeed that issue - some of the things you mention suggest it may be more than one issue going on.  
(Edited)

Charlie Comstock

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes....That is exactly what was provided to me when I had the service set up several months ago. What would you consider to be a reputable router I could purchase...Thanks!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Try the wired test first if at all possible - pretty sure you're also experiencing some of the ubiquitous congestion noted on Viasat-1.

It (a better router) could yield better, more consistent performance during off peak usage times - not much change during peak periods.

IMHO, Asus but you do know what opinions are like hopefully... just discussed a specific model over at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/best-router-at-present-to-measure-each-device-usage

When Viasat introduced the combination modem/router/voice adapter/space heater some of us questioned the wisdom of a one-size fits all wireless router approach.
(Edited)

Charlie Comstock

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
OK....Thanks....I will now get a 70 ft length of ethernet cable and check out a direct connection to my smart tv.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Back @ Charlie Comstock

"Location based" refers to the beam your service is served by.  Beams are used so limited authorized frequencies can be duplicated across the nation without interference to each other.  Some beams are carrying more customers than others so total throughput on a particular beam is shared by more or less customers than others, depending on the beam and the area it covers.

The time of day makes a significant difference on system performance.  More people have time available to use the Internet in the evening hours putting a heavier demand on the system which has limited resources to be shared by all customers on a particular beam, thus the evening slow-down.  A system slowdown also occurs during weekends and holidays for the same reason, many more people have time available to be using the Internet.

WiFi access points are generally designed to allow wireless connections in the same room negating the need for cables being connected for devices to connect to the router/access point.  More powerful amplifiers are available as an add-on to a system to increase the effective range.  Access points generally don't provide high-powered signals due to un-necessary range that can adversely affect other nearby systems sharing the same limited WiFi frequencies (neighbors that also use WiFi).  If stock routers and access points were all high-powered, an entire neighborhood could become a mess where only the strongest survive.

About your mysterious dissapearing data...

Some router have extensive data tabulating capabilities, such as ASUS routers starting at model RT-68U, which sells for about $130.00.  Please see my second comment on this topic at https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/best-router-at-present-to-measure-each-device-usage for more information. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Just beware that with the Bronze 12 plan you'll be limited to video streaming to that TV at a rate typically suited to lower quality 360P (if that). 
(Edited)

Charlie Comstock

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Old Labs & Judge & Jury...I have enough to keep me busy for a while!
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Judge and Jury PSSSSST!!!! i hope that... person... who is named this.... @Charlie Comstock like legit doesnt know how to respond to help someone when they are experincing slow speeds and so forth.... like they legit said... OH WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE!!! i mean... it kinda reminds me that he is LEGIT a big fan of twilight to be honest... BUT!!! he didnt even try to help this person who was having trouble with there speeds... INSTEAD HE LEGIT MADE A FRICKING STUPID IMMATURE AND CHILDISH POST!!! i mean COME ON!!! we are here to HELP one another -_- if they have something IMMATURE AND CHILDISH... they why dont they make there own post for that kinda stuff -_-

OH YEAH LETS NOT FORGET ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE VIASAT COMMUNITY!!! XD THAT IS THIS PERSON... @Tim Spake :D HE MUST BE SO DANG POPULAR THAT EVEN ONE PERSON HAS TO LIKE HIM!!! :D i mean come on... he legit tends to complain about his speeds... so therefore... HE IS MY FAVORITE PERSON!!! :D i hope to hear from both of yall though :) OH YEAH!!! while speaking onto the matter with @Timmy... (which imma guessing his REAL name is timothy... :3 BUT!!! just goes by the name as tim :3  ) YOOO!!! IF viasat has promised for your speeds to get better and better... then why not just be patient with them??? :3 they legit have ONLY SO MANY PEOPLE that can handle so many tickets at once...  OR!!! MAYBE!!! your ticket just gots lost or something XD i mean... it legit does happen sometimes... to be honest... BUT!!! i legit LOVE MY SERVICES!!! <3 I LOVE VIASAT SO MATTER WHAT!!! <3  VIASAT IS MY MAIN ISP NOW!!! :D also... sometimes... i even get the entire beam to myself sometimes :0 SOOOO!!! I JUST GO ONTO AN DOWNLOADING SPREE OF ANIMES I DOWNLOAD AND STUFF!!! :D CAUSE ITS WORTH IT!!! :D and so on :3
Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Excellent synopsis! I have given up on having any contact with this company or the ridiculous process of trying to fix all the "data leaks" (the worst is the Windows download of "update" files that use 10 to 20 percent of my monthly allowance).

I just use my computer till the data is gone and then resort to the "find something else to do while the page is loading" technique.

It is simply too difficult and frustrating to deal with this company. Their "you need to find out where your data is going and fix it yourself/ send us an email/ we can;t control what installers tell you" attitude is disgusting.  I'll just slog along until there is a better option....  I have internet in South Carolina and get 100 Mbps download speed for less than $50 a month with unlimited data. 1 Gbps is coming next year. Yes, 1,000Mbps, that's not a type-o.
Now, before all you "defend the satellite company at all costs" folks go ballistic, I've already heard it all. All I'm saying is that in a 21st technology world, most people have expectations on that level and it's difficult when you can't even get 1980's technology speed and data provided without paying much higher for it and then, can't even get decent customer support.

Satellite ISPs just can't compete with the speed and data of land based systems and unfortunately, IMHO, the satellite companies are simply taking advantage of the situation. WATCH OUT FOR KARMA!

That's bad enough, but to have to put up with the lousy way this company deals with it's customers is truly sad and a terrible reflection on American businesses. So I'm stuck until my area moves into the 21st century and there are some "viable" alternatives. Such is life.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Agree
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
2.5 years I have been patient Deku !!! :3 :D  ///  Q -_- <3 #hopeless
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
 2.5 years I have been patient Deku !!! :3 :D  ///  Q -_- <3 #hopeless

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...  but....  the grease the wheel gets depends on the sound of the squeak.

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Isn't it sad that mike barber is blaming his data usage on Viasat when he has already stated in his post that it was a Microsoft Windows update that used a large chunk of his data.

Satellite internet is the best we rural folks can get, and I am thankful that companies like Viasat and Hughesnet have invested billions of dollars to bring us the internet.

I don't need 1 Gbps internet, no one really does. 12 Mbps has suited my needs just fine.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
I have internet in South Carolina and get 100 Mbps download speed for less than $50 a month with unlimited data. 1 Gbps is coming next year. Yes, 1,000Mbps, that's not a type-o.

Then what are you here complaining about?

Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
DUHHHHH......   VIASAT/Exede

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I believe the context of the question is more why are you continuing to use Viasat if you have 100 Mbps service at $50 per month with unlimited data? Are you home from school in South Carolina, at your summer home, or is there some other logical or even illogical explanation?

Just curious... I know what my choice would be in that case.
(Edited)

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Tim Spake  2.5 years I have been patient Deku !!! :3 :D  ///  Q -_- <3 #hopeless
ummmm... i hope ya know that... doing satellite internet... actually legit takes time and by what i mean time... ALOTTA TIME!!! i mean... viasat just wants satellite internet to be something special... cause with cable internet its like the same thing and so on... but yet with satellite internet... its SOMEONE special :3 and so therefore... satellite internet is taking its time... soooo MAYBE JUST MAYBE!!! one day... satellite internet might be come useful for people who cannot get cable/dsl/fiber optic internet at all... mostly for people who live out into the boonies like us people... cause viasat cares about where people are located and so on... if they see that there isnt any cable/dsl/fiber optic avaible into peoples area... OR!!! if there is hardly any option there... OR AT ALL NONE!!! THEN!!! satellite internet will come to those places :3 which imma so proud of viasat doing that :3 so yeah... it may even be like... 100th century until we get to see all of the internet coming together and so on :3

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@Tim Spake  2.5 years I have been patient Deku !!! :3 :D  ///  Q -_- <3 #hopeless
ummmm... i hope ya know that... doing satellite internet... actually legit takes time and by what i mean time... ALOTTA TIME!!! i mean... viasat just wants satellite internet to be something special... cause with cable internet its like the same thing and so on... but yet with satellite internet... its SOMEONE special :3 and so therefore... satellite internet is taking its time... soooo MAYBE JUST MAYBE!!! one day... satellite internet might be come useful for people who cannot get cable/dsl/fiber optic internet at all... mostly for people who live out into the boonies like us people... cause viasat cares about where people are located and so on... if they see that there isnt any cable/dsl/fiber optic avaible into peoples area... OR!!! if there is hardly any option there... OR AT ALL NONE!!! THEN!!! satellite internet will come to those places :3 which imma so proud of viasat doing that :3 so yeah... it may even be like... 100th century until we get to see all of the internet coming together and so on :3
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Ha...  The double-post bug finally got you too.    :o)

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Too much anime!
Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
@ Steve.... Not sad a all. I'm not blaming Viasat for my data loss... just saying (as so many others point out, it is so difficult to find the source of our data leaks/usage) and Viasat doesn't really help...  It took me 2 months to convince them that there is nothing that can be done to control the MS downloads hoping they would have a suggestion on how to deal with it.
 I don't think it is appropriate to make derogatory remarks without completely reading/understanding a post.
 @ Old Labs....  Of course I have 2 locations. I don't deal in irrational, unreasonable, unsound, unreasoned, unjustifiable, groundless or unfounded (illogical) thinking,
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
mike, it is not that difficult to look at where your data is going. An investment in a decent router with traffic monitoring capabilities is what many of us do.

My remarks were not intended to be derogatory, as you seem to think. The same goes for what Old Labs said, but I guess you see things differently than most people do.
Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
 I see things as they are and when I encounter rudeness or inappropriate behavior, I simply point it out. There is a pattern of this type of unproductive/defensive rhetoric on this board which is simply unhelpful.

Thanks for the suggestion about the router. I believe they are a bit expensive. Besides, with the overwhelming number of folks that have the data issue, I would think that Viasat/Exede would build that function into the routers that they rent to us.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Many of us would simply prefer that Viasat concentrate more on the modem functionality rather than a combined modem, router, voice adapter and apparently a space heater solution.

Many of us would simply prefer to take responsibility for our own usage details and believe that Viasat only has a responsibility to provide a count and when used (not how, by what device and by what application and process - they can't do that accurately to begin with). Many of us don't trust the fox to guard the hen house and want to independently verify (or disprove) Viasat's accuracy.

Barring agreement on whose responsibility it is to track specific usage details - the debate won't go anywhere. But if you'd like to debate that basic premise as it relates to my right to privacy go for it.

FWIW, I was seeking clarification on your seemingly contradictory post.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I concur. I don't need a device that supports over hyped and over priced VOIP, and I certainly don't need a built-in sub par router that doesn't come close to the capabilities I expect and need.

Give me a well designed, reliable satellite modem to deliver me internet through a cable and let me take it from there.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1992 Posts
  • 1214 Reply Likes
Give me a well designed, reliable satellite modem to deliver me internet through a cable and let me take it from there.
Couldn't agree more. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The fact that you switched from an Exede 5-10 plan to an unlimited plan suggests that you are in an area that was previously only covered by the augmented beams and older satellites (Wildblue-1 or Anik-F2).

I'd certainly hope that Viasat isn't selling unlimited plans on those older birds and that you've been placed on Viasat-2. Contacting customer care is probably your best bet (or viasatlistens as suggested above) since Viasat-2 should be giving you much better performance. Just to be sure though, does your modem look like the following?

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2083 Posts
  • 1261 Reply Likes
That picture makes me hungry for a chocolaty Swiss treat.  .  LOL.  
Photo of bond9031

bond9031

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Old Labs - yes it does and I too hope that it's not the old satellite - but I think probably not because I have done the progression from Wild Blue to Exede on the old system and was sold this ViaSat as being on the 'new satellite'. Guess I will find out soon...

Judge and Jury - this has been going on for 2 months, so it isn't terribly recent and probably won't 'catch up', but I haven't yet tried the ViaSatListens email. I will give that a go next.

Thanks for the insights, everyone

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
It's definitely not the old satellite with that modem then... my guess would be an install issue - I doubt the new bird is oversubscribed just yet. Might want to try a wired connection test, but haven;t heard any complaints about poor WiFi performance on the new triangular prism shaped modem/router/voice adapter.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
There have been reports of issues on the large Viasat-2 beams. Still working the bugs out i suspect.

I think we can rule out congestion though!

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@bond9031 ummmm.... i legit heard the same thing what @VeteranSatUser said... like... think of it this way... when you get an new android tablet which is onto like marshmallow, lolipop or ANY type of android verison... there is ALWAYS buggies to fix... so therefore... people tell there experinced about what they are experincing... so therefore... they should try to fix it... so once the android people get that information... they tend to work on it right away... BUT!!! it DOES take TIME to fix it... which is there proccess of trying to make sure that EVERYONE can get the same exact functions on it... SOOOO!!! they tend to do a pre-testing... so once they are done with that... they release the new firmware... BUT!!! sometimes... the buggies tend to come in unexectly to be honest... SOOOO!!! they do the same thing over...

SOOOO!!! just think about what i just said... and try to put it into viasat satellite 2 forum :3 so yeah just a heads up :3
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Now Oreo Deku! And it seems to eat my battery more!

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser OH MY GOODNESS!!! @>@ oreo deku... i heard if you eat an oreo deku then the battery drains... then... its mostly likely.... that the oreo deku is doing his full cowling move... which takes about... 5% of battery each time it goes into training mode :3 soooo that means... the oreo deku... MUST BE TRAINING NON-STOP TO BE THE NUMBER 1 HERO LIKE ALL MIGHT!!! :D KEEP ON GOING OREO DEKU!!! :D