Recent slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
(Posted Feb 2019) Ok. Is Viasat trying to get rid of residential subscribers? Sure seems like it. I've used satellite internet for the past 11 years, back when it was called "Wildblue". All my neighbors are are UNHAPPY users of Hughesnet, so I had been telling them that Viasat was much better.....until the past couple of weeks. I found it very interesting that soon after your recent customer communications about speed-of-service "averaging" 25 Mbps, my speeds have suddenly slowed. It's like you've applied a speed "governor" to hold speeds to 18Mbps....always. Before your communication came out, I could do a speed test and occasionally get up to 45 Mbps very early in the morning (4:00am). Of course it would slow as the day went on and traffic increased. Now, at very early times....on weekends, even....I haven't gotten over the 18 Mbps. Yes, the weather is clear, and yes, I've done the plug/unplug routine. And no, I'm NOWHERE near my data limit. My plan allows 150 GB (I don't think you even offer that any more) and I rarely use over 25 GB per billing month. I'm even having trouble now using a streaming music service....."buffering". So, sadly, now I'm telling my neighbors that I guess I'm wrong about Viasat being a better service than Hughesnet. A shame.
Photo of Nancy Price

Nancy Price

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Pretty much what you have described. Whether Hughesnet is better, I think it all depends on location.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
This has been the subject of hot debate around here for the last couple of weeks. The offical response can be found at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/automatic-throttling

More debate can be found at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/viasat-1-customers-under-attack

or just about any other conversation here where it creeps in.

Something's happening here...

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
That is the new "norm".   It is exactly the same for me. For me it started back in December.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
Alright, Nancy has to be a troll. Complaining about 18 mbps???  When you get less than 1 mbps you might find more sympathy here. If you are on the Freedom plan with the 25 boost, I suspect in the evenings you are getting no where near 18 mbps, which is why you can't stream music. Viasat sent out a letter/email to Unlimited users and Freedom users telling us no matter how much data we have used, we will be throttled (they used a more diplomatic description) in the evenings/weekends where our service would be next to unusable. If we don;t like it, we can leave (or upgrade our plan). Mine said upgrade with a 2 yr contract. Seriously Viasat?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
No I think Nancy's just reporting her experience since receiving the email and the changes took hold so I don't think the troll accusation is necessarily true.

Off hand, it seems like Bev has been reporting the same from her perspective on her magic beam in Arkansas.

Things got worse for everyone on the impacted plans, but some were starting at a higher bar due to their location to begin with. Some like you Spinninghorse were starting from a lower bar.

To avoid any pissing match, not defending the changes... but am inclined to take the "official response" at face value (at least for now).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Whatever happened to if you like your plan you can keep your plan.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
That's one of your options.