Received email "IMPORTANT - A Warning Regarding Password Security" [virus attack on Wildblue's servers]

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Over a year old.

I received an email with this subject and the following contents.  It looks like it was sent from a personal email within wildblue and NOT from a customer service email address.  Did anyone else get this, and/or is it legitimate.  It appears to be a very questionable. 

ttention:

Due to the recent Virus attack on our database, we are currently upgrading our database and all email accounts need to be verified. “IT HELP DESK” will automatically upgrade to the latest anti-spam version. You are required to complete upgrade within the next 72 hours so that your account can be upgraded or have your account deleted from our database to stop the spread of this virus.

To ensure your email(s) remain active, please confirm the email address and password we have for you is accurate in the below form.

Name:
Username:
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email:

Thank you for your continuous patronage.

Sincerely,
The Exede Internet Team

------

The form that was included was blank, just as it appears above.  Is anyone else aware of this VIRUS attack on Wildblue's servers? 
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
You were a target of a spearfishing attempt.  Just a scam to get your password information.  I have actually had phone calls from the "Microsoft Virus Team" saying my computer was infected and I needed to follow their instructions very carefully, which was go to a particular website and run an executable.  I knew they were fakes and when I asked them for my IP address, they couldn't tell me and said it didn't matter.  (As soon as I get my cut from the $15 million I'm transferring for this Nigerian Princess, I am installing a T1 line and will be done with satellite Internet forever.)
Photo of Christoph Lieding

Christoph Lieding

• 56 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi. I had a call from the "same" team Microsoft  Windows...da da da. I saw on my caller ID. having a number starting w. 422-???-??? forgot. Rarely I get call from the "Mainland". Living in Alohaland. Kind of smelled a rat so I checked on phonenumbers to get a name or something. Found that website where they have numbers, with names, locations, some info and that told me Exactly what I smelled. Well the accent was smelly too. Since then I get calls from them, I cursed them, try to fool them, no prevail.Do check out there numbers and try to remember some. There got more scams and useful info there. I am sorry forgot the link but that's easy to find. Good luck and big Aloha. Almost forgot too- jep really getting old and forgetful. those scammers saying there lawinforcement or IRS or Insurance all that and more from the same phone number. One time when I thought I found out where there located,  I said lets meet there and corner on that. Hung up like burning metal= they did. Next time I like to give them a number from some police institution. I don't want to change my number, I like to take 'em down
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Hey JEP--I was promised that $15 million I'm transferring for the Nigerian Princess . Already sent the monopoly money and my jungle address. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Craig, this is NOT an email from us. We will never ask you to change your account sensitive material over an email. Please delete this asap. If for some reason you had responded to it with your information, please visit your customer portal and reset everything. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
@excedeKimberly - Do you want me to delete THIS post?  or just the email I received.  I can provide you with more information, including the email account this came from. It did appear to come from an exede email address (but it looks like another customer, perhaps someone else who may have replied to the phishing exercise. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Just the email is fine. If you wouldn't mind forwarding it to me at exedelilstens@viasat.com, I'd appreciate it. I want to make sure to get this to the right department. Thanks so much.
Photo of Craig Ellis

Craig Ellis

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I forwarded you the email a few minutes ago.     Thanks! 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
No, thank you!
Photo of Christoph Lieding

Christoph Lieding

• 56 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I really don't like those scammers, I know people steal like that, preying on and through computer, many elderly fall for that and there is NO way to get the money back. They sitting rich in Jamaica or elsewhere. I do understand there humans who don't have nothing except hungry crying babys not even tears anymore, its all gone , if those tormented souls would steal one would understand. Guess what, its NOT them. I am old and body hurts but I would like to let them loose behind my house. Stay smart.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
This or that service was compromised, this or that virus company calls, this or that forgiener needs your bank account to send money to, new, cheap gas station steals debit card numbers if you fuel there... whatever, same scam out to get your personal info. If they need it, I can contact them via phone and tell them. (not them contact me first.)
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
We have caller ID so I don't answer phone unless I recognize the phone number. If it's something like confirming doctor appointment or something they start talking and I answer the phone. 
Photo of Cheri Roe

Cheri Roe

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is the one I got today:
-------------------------------------

This message is from the Wildblue Email Administrator IT Service to all our email account subscribers.You are to provide to us the below information to re-validate your account due to spam and to upgrade the New Month Spam version.Your Wildblue Email account will be expired after a week, if you do not re-validate or upgrade your account. Please do co-operate with us so we can serve you better, contact the administrator!!****

User Name:.............Password:............Confirm Your Password:...............Alternative Email :...............

Thank You.
Wildblue Email Administrator

I am getting one almost every week from different phishers. Really, Wildblue, can't you do anything?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.