Slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I have spent hours on the phone with Exede, days of work downtime, (so, no pay!), and hundreds of dollars, for the "Liberty 50" package, over the last several months...The package states that I am purchasing 25Mbps, and 50G of download. Wow. I have checked my usable speeds since the inception of this plan, and average 0.02-1.87Mbps! It would be the same as purchasing a Cadillac and you giving me a bicycle. I have since had a service technician out, and hopefully he has resolved the issue. My problem is that I called yesterday to get credit for the hundreds I spent for ridiculously poor internet service that cost me more that the $, hours on tech support calls, and loss of pay from being unable to work online...all to get another hour wasted on the phone and an offer to credit me $25 for all my trouble...! Does it sound as unethical to YOU as it does to ME? I would appreciate a FAIR credit for my WASTED money through the last several months. I am not asking for anything extra, just fair business between a loyal customer and Exede.
Photo of Jenny Lu Johnson

Jenny Lu Johnson

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 144 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Same thing happened to me and you will not like

What I Finely learned. So here it goes.

1. REGARDLESS OF WHAT you thought you were going

To get and REGARDLESS of what ANYONE TOLD YOU ...

You signed a contract at some point that states in so many words that YOU GET WHAT THE LOAD CAN HANDLE at any given moment or scenario . YOUR ONLY OPTION IS TO Pay the early termination fee and find another source for your needs. P E R I O D...end of story

The lesson that I have learned from all of My grief is to ALWAYS READ THE fine details in any contract I sign. I hope you find peace.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 281 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
What the agreement actually states is:

"The Internet Service is available at locations within the United States with an unobstructed view of the southern sky. You acknowledge all download and upload Internet Service speeds are “up to,” are not guaranteed and will vary."

Photo of Judy

Judy

• 41 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Well I have an unobstructed view of the sky but I get crappy service.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 281 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
There are many factors that determine speeds. The clarity of your sky is one component.
Photo of Harold Zastrow

Harold Zastrow

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Those are the same lines I get.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Jenny, I'm sorry but, as with ANY ISP, speeds are UP TO, meaning 25 Mbps is the FASTEST you will get during off peak times, if you have priority data remaining for the month. The 50 GB is for ALL internet activity, upload and download. Everything you do online uses data, email, forums, blogs, shopping, EVERYTHING.

If your speeds are below 3Mbps in the morning and early afternoon ALWAYS and, you have Priority data remaining, there may be an equipment issue. Please email your contact and account information as well as a brief description of the problems you are having to exedelistens@viasat.com so that they can take a look and see if everything looks good, or if something needs attention.

For your reference, the Customer agreement can be found here: http://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 196 Reply Likes
That is not the point and you just can't get past people being pissed because they consistently can not get over 2Mbps.
Photo of James E Besser

James E Besser

• 77 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Guy can you watch your potty mouth. Agin if your unhappy with exede move on
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 196 Reply Likes
You are the one that said potty, how many times have people use "up to" as an excuse?
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Perhaps you'd like to do some research into the average internet speeds across all providers, and more. Here is a good place to start: https://statetechmagazine.com/article/2013/02/average-internet-connection-speed-every-state-america

Now, the fact that Exede/Viasat can and does in fact deliver speeds in excess of 25Mbps (Assuming no congestion and no other service issues.) and, they do it via satellite is pretty impressive.

Yes, I am certain there are reasons for those of you experiencing chronically slow speeds, perhaps some of those reason are on the Exede/Viasat side and, perhaps some are as of yet undiscovered issues on your end of things.

I'm all for helping anyone I can try to sort through the possibilities but, you can't go blaming Exede/Viasat right off the bat. And yes, at times congestion does tank my speed as well, but that's a temporary thing. And yes, I have had long term slow speed - problems that needed a service call to resolve.

Download speeds from certain servers are chronically slow, but that's the source, not me and not Viasat. Actual file downloads are more often than not slower thatn the tested speeds, but that's due to a lot of other factors beyond my control and, beyond Viasat's control.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Here are my last 4 speed test results Beam 326.

11:35 p.m  1.5 up/2.5 down
8:45 p.m.  44.0/5.5
4:52 p.m.  52.3/8.5
8:19 a.m. 45.9/7.5

Only 7 of my last 20 speed tests have been below 12 mbps and most of those were still very usable.

Those slow speeds happen but it's pretty rare. I am pretty convinced that the problem is on the customer end most of the time when the speeds are consistently slow.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 282 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Jenny,

Thank you for your post.

We are mostly a group of other users willing to help with technical problems. Other than those posts you might see that are from Exede(somename) none of us are affiliated with the company. 

You might, quite possibly, putting this out to the wrong group.

Do you have a technical issue we can help with?

To ggg, as a general caveat, it is always best to read the contract you're signing before you sign it.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Hi Jenny 

Please email us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we'll review your complaint and decide if an appropriate credit was issued or not and work to further assist you.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
With that said we are only responsible for funds paid directly to us or towards our service. Lost wages, sales, hourly pay, compensation from online transactions will not be refunded or credited by Exede. 
Photo of William H. Jordan Jr.

William H. Jordan Jr.

• 13 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
My suggestion is drop to the lowest priced service. They cannot give you what you need. There is no refund. If you can find an unlimited Cellular deal jump on it. With the speeds you are describing it cannot be any worse if you get any signal at all. I am sorry you have to experience this. They do build up expectations about has fast and reliable their service is. Unfortunately it is not illegal. 
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 282 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yes, Mr Jordan, you're correct, it is not illegal. The term is puffery. Puffery exists in all advertising.

The US Supreme Court has, several times, weighed in on the practice of puffery and decided it is not false advertising.

I would encourage anyone who feels they were lied to search for "puffery" on the internet machines.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 145 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
I dont feel Exede "lied" to me about speeds.  But I also understand the congestion issue.  I have no other options here so I did exactly what Mr Jordan suggested and dropped to the 10Gig  plan JUST to keep internet.  Why pay for more data I cant use?  As the poster states I am also FREQUENTLY below 1Mbps, but I wait ever so IMpatiently for Viasat2  And spout off in the forums once in a while to vent my frustrations
Regardless I will be the first to admit it is quite disheartening to feel overall I am NOT getting what I am paying for.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2210 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
ggg rt.  If Frontier was able to sustain a minimum speed, they are the exception to the rule and that is fantastic! The majority of internet carriers cannot promise a sustained speed. I have  been an internet customer on many carriers and all of them slow down when the internet is at capacity.   
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2728 Posts
  • 1716 Reply Likes
I just checked the Frontier website, and they are claiming "Speeds up to 6 Mbps or Up to 12 Mbps" depending on the plan you select.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 144 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
My contract stated my min speed was guaranteed and when a outage or slow down occurred they fixed it. That a the way it was for 10 years
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 144 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
And the verbiage was "between "
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 144 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
But I suspect someone is going to try and
Convince me that I am/was mistaken ...???
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3249 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, while all beams and gateways are created equal, user experiences will vary depending on the number of subs and utilization of that beam. So that is what makes it tough. One user might be seeing higher speeds where they live, but another user with the same plan in a different area of the country is going to get lower speeds on average. While I think Viasat has tailored plans on certain beams to "temper" expectations, because of so many variables. I think if every customer was limited to 10GBs of data, speeds might be better overall, but then many people couldn't get enough data for their needs. It's quite the balancing act as Viasat is working with limited resources until more capacity comes online next year.
Photo of kurtschoenrock

kurtschoenrock

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Checked with ATT and was able to get a hotspot/home phone device for free under a two year plan. For only $20 a month, I get 22gb + (only throttled if necessary). Got two and we are surfing at speeds faster than Exede could offer with low latency and for only $40 a month!  This is why investors are shorting VSAT and expect it to fail.  It can't compete with the options coming out.  Att Fixed wireless will be in our area shortly as well and will provide 160GB of data for only $60 a month.  Again, no latency and no rain related issues.   Check it out!!!
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 196 Reply Likes
Thank you for this info. I will check ASAP to see if offered in my area. Does this require a land line. So sick of my "up to" speeds thaf are consistently slow during normal hours. I dont expect any improvement down the road since Exede has been less than helpful to current customers. Too many bad stories and experience says why should they do anything. They have I counted my money for 2 years now and not provided a service that was advertised.
Photo of kurtschoenrock

kurtschoenrock

• 16 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I should clarify one or two things: 1. It does not require a landline. 2. I am an existing directv and att customer, so I was able to add these at minimum cost.  If you are not a customer, the deal probably won't be so compelling.  Finally, if the cell service inside your house is questionable, consider buying a signal booster. They are expensive ($500) but they can make a world of difference and might save you from having to purchase more expensive options.  
Photo of Chuck

Chuck

• 35 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I love how so many people keep throwing the "up to" rhetoric around, then show speed test throughputs of 40-50 mbps (double the up to speeds).

I think exede should have an unlimited unobtainium package with speeds UP TO 400Gbps!!! For $200 a month.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 281 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
And I think I should be young and handsome.

For some things, the technology just doesn't exist.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 392 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
But I did lose up to 300 pounds last month too

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.