Rates vs Other companies

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

Need an alternative to Exede for rural Texas. Most plans with other companies are around $50 for unlimited access and I am having to buy additional GBs. Seems excessive. Please help me find another company.
Photo of Cheryl VanOrsdol

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Isn't the whole point of having satellite that you don't have any other options?  They're trying to break into other markets by raising data caps.  However, current data caps are 10 to 25 GB, so satellite is the ISP of last resort at the moment.  If you have satellite, you probably have no recourse.
(Edited)

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Thanks - just does seem to be like they are gouging us.

Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes

That is what I was wanting to know. Where did you find satellite internet service for $50.00 of unlimited service. I have looked all over the internet for service when I move to the country. I found exede was the best deal by far. It does seem like lately the speed is slower. I normally like the service, considering it the best I could get. You never heard me say that I am devoted to satellite ISP. Once cable comes my why I will be on it, even if I have to pay a early cancelation fee. I just heard today where we use to live they are up to 1 gig per second service. When we moved I was at 75 mps. I can get 300 mps at our old house for what I pay for (if lucky) 10 mps. Its cable service, but we do not have cable where I live. So exede is the best service that I can get where I live for now. But I wasn't seeing much of a difference, the speed was pretty good, just had to put up with slow down loads. But lately it seems to have slowed down. It taking a lot longer for pages to load. I also hate Dish network. Exede beats satellite tv 200 percent. I have no problem with my internet, well except for lately slowing down, but my TV service sucks, let a bird go by and pee, my tv service is gone. It could even be predicting rain and I will loose my local channels. Nothing upset me more then anything when I go to watch something that was recorded and its all snow and messed up. I have a tv in my garage, just hooked to a antenna and it picks up better then the satellite does on local channels. I pray for cable every day, for TV and Internet.  It is only about 2 miles down the road from my house. For what I would save, I would almost be willing to pay for the line to come to my house.

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Sorry if I misled you - not satellite in town rates - but AT&T - cable companies.  So far have been very happy with our Dish account but cannot watch "On Demand" without running up our usage.  We have the Hopper and our TV has improved with it. Family visiting was not aware of the restrictions since they live in town and watched a lot of "on demand".  Guess we have to give up something to enjoy country life.  Husband has an AT&T air device because he travels and has amazing service even in remote areas - runs about $50/mo.  No cable to us either.  Lord - when we CAN get it - bye bye Exede.  When we are the only ones using it no problems - running 2 PCs - 2 android phones - 1 wireless printer - 1 ipad.  BUT usually using between 12 pm and 5 am. Phone lines are very old out here - not populated enough to run new lines.

(Edited)
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
I live in east texas, 2 options, exede or hughesnet. You will double love exede if you ever try hughesnet. 
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
If you live in a fairly flat area you can check around for a fixed wireless provider an example is Prairie iNet (they are the largest company that I am familiar with so I figure they'd be easy for someone to google).These companies offer unlimited wireless connections.  The down side is most still require a clean line of sight to the tower to connect (even a tree can block you from signal).  There is newer technology that doesn't require the clean line of sight but  most still are running with the older naturally because that is what they had installed.  Speeds will be slower if you can find one but we had 1 mbps for multiple years with our provider up north and loved it, eventually they upgraded to 5 and then it worked beautifully for streaming and such.  We can't get it here due to trees (dang it :)) but are hoping eventually one of them will reach us because many of the companies are adding transmitters which are much cheaper to install than running cables of course.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Cheryl VanOrsdol,

I will be more than happy to go over your data usage with you.  I can also provide you with tips on how to maximize your data.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Well, we pay $49/mo for DSL which is limited to 150 kilobytes per second and usually gets 30 to 50 kbps.  A good dialup connection would be better.  And it's still better than satellite so long as their data caps remain low.

So count your lucky stars :P
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Morris

Jason Morris

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
all options for people that live in the rural areas absolutely suck. I wish cable companies would go out on a limb and run some cables out to us so we wouldn't have to resort to using satellite or 3g 4g.  

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
We have the same problem....can only get Dish or Hughes (hear Hughes sucks big time) or Excede. Sure feels like gouging.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Take all the expenses that you local cable company has.  Now add to that half a billion dollars for the satellite, plus all the research and development costs, additional infrastructure costs, the salaries of (literally) rocket scientists, etc. . .you are not being gouged, satellite internet is tremendously more expensive to provide, and that cost is passed onto the end user. 

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I do agree that it is costly to provide satellite service but so is was it costly at the time the cable facilities were installed.  Its the cost of doing business - and don't tell me I am not being gouged.  I know what it feels like and think the providers should be more in line (not completely of course) with the other costs in the marketplace.
Photo of Frank Hester

Frank Hester

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Eventually, all the costs will be paid for (satellite equipment, rocket fuel, rocket, etc).
Once it is, will the cost we are paying for now, be reduced??? I really doubt it.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
Satellites have a finite lifetime and the technology advances. It's already time for a new Exede satellite, which hopefully goes up next year. Part of what you're paying is to get the next one up.
Photo of Frank Hester

Frank Hester

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is good and understandable, but does it mean a larger download allotment to bring it nearer to unlimited downloads like cable or DSL??? Again, I say, I doubt it.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I am in a very rural area and have 3 options, Exede, Hughes and useless dial up on very old lines. We will never see cable here nor will we ever get cell signals unless they build a tower very close. DirecTV is more reliable than my Exede in weather. Hughes has some better offers but they are phony and time limited come on offers. In the end I have what I have with both and they are much better than any available alternative. My one and only complaint with Exede is they don't allow me to bank and carry over unused data from month to month. I get 10GBs on my plan and left 4 GBs unused last month. This month if I use all 10 GBs early they might gift me additional GBs to keep me going but that gift comes from my bag of unused data over the many months that I have turned data back in. I would be far ahead if Exede guaranteed me 120 GBs per year and only when they were used would I need to purchase more.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
I'd like it and you would like it, but from reading on here you KNOW that there would be numerous people use it up in two or three months and be on here complaining that Exede is the worst company in the history of mankind because all there data was gone and the still had nine months or whatever to go.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Yes David, Some people buy an S-10 pick up to tow a 30 foot fishing boat and then complain that the transmission burned up! My 10GB plan works fine almost every month as long as I use it for the necessities and not for fun and games. I can live out here without netflix, you tube and all the fancy stuff others seem hooked on and the fact is you have to pay to play when your only alternative is satellite.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
It would be nice if they were to offer a plan that took care of the needs of people who do a lot of web browsing.  Merely browsing the web, we use about 1GB per day.  That means there aren't any Exede plans good enough for us.  If they merely upped it to about 40 gig, that would be sufficient for heavy web browsing.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
That would be nice!  Are we country folk included in this equation?
Photo of Theodore Lyons Porter

Theodore Lyons Porter

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Exede has a free time that needs to be easier to use. It is inconvenient for most of us to stay up late. We sleep. We work.  Exede should make that free period more accessible. If there is a download we want to install or a video we want to watch, we should be able to enter the address into an exede download manager, set the time for it to begin and go to bed. The next morning we could open and watch or open and install.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
The Evolution plan has a free period of 3 am to 8 am and that works well for me because I am normally up around 6ish and have two hours to work on updates while I am drinking my morning coffee ;-)  10 GB plus unlimited web browsing and email and we are getting by on that fairly well until something better comes around.

Cheryl VanOrsdol

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I totally agree with you Mr. Porter.  Your comments are exactly on target - a more accessible free time would solve a lot of complaints and maybe even extended a little on week-ends.  You, sir, are the voice of reason.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
There are any number of free (and not free) download managers available which include scheduling options. Take a look at this thread from the other forum for some recommendations and links:

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?8749-Download-managers-reviewed&highlight=down...

The reasons for the LNFZ ((12:00 AM to 5:00 AM) and the EBFZ (3:00 AM to 8:00 AM) are to shift the heavy lifting to periods when not as many are online - otherwise performance would likely suffer for all during regular hours
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
We all have to look at a satellite beam as a garden hose. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket pretty fast but if I split the water in to 5 streams it will take at least 5 times as long to fill 5 buckets. There is just so much water that can flow through a hose. More beams or hoses or larger beams or hoses would make things much better. Late at night when most folks are asleep the demand on each beam decreases so I don't quite get why speeds should also decrease unless that is a planned internal reduction like if you don't have the hose water valve fully open. More satellites in the sky and fewer users would be great for all of us except the company.

I see very similar problems with my electricity on very hot summer days when all the customers on my line are running air conditioners at full speed. Brown outs and complete failures and total outages.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Now take that garden hose and attach it to a 3000 psi scuba tank opening the valve all the way ;)

That's somewhat akin to what's happening now as everybody's scheduled downloads kick in at the start of the free zone(s) - not enough capacity to keep up with the increased pressure and probably why speeds appear to steadily slowing during the free zone(s) - during the holidays it's been that way for me for the entire free zone when normally speeds have returned somewhere between 2:00 AM and 3:00 AM.     
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Same here but that's expected. Until something better comes along thats the way it will be.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
What speeds are you guys actually getting in the free zone?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Right this moment 3.7 Mbps download, but as low as 1.9 Mbps over the last several weeks. The testmy.net Wildblue graphs indicate others having the same issues with speeds all over the block.  Still usable, but...      
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.