Question for the group about Bridged modems

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged

I had ViaSat installed on February 13th.  And then things went south...

33 days of no service at all

Two technician complaints

Four replacement modems

Seven technician visits

Most likely over 30 hours on the phone with technical support

Based on service call costs and an approximation for hourly rates by their technical support personnel my guess is that ViaSat has spent around $1500 trying to get an operational customer. 

Finally, the system is semi-operational. 

The HQ technical support personnel (six separate agents) insist that they should be able to ‘see through’ the VS2 modem and see a system on the other side.  Absent that they cannot maintain the system according to them.  At this juncture they cannot see even any of the technician’s laptops connected to the modem.  So, we are going for the eighth service call this Monday. 

Since I am within the first 90 days of service none of this cost me with the exception of my time. 

The question for the group is are the field and HQ technicians correct – should they be able to see the laptop on the internal side of the Bridged modem. 

If the answer is no, then how do they do maintenance?

Photo of Bains9999

Bains9999

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Didn't you have Viasat once and were not satisfied with it?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bains9999....see the laptop on the internal side of the Bridged modem.

One tech person claimed he could see thru my ASUS router...like it was in a switch mode. ...which it was not.

Regardless, a router must be able to ID a returned packet, so I would suspect some sort of ID is embedded.  If MAC was embedded in a packet, then a specific device could be ID

On a local network, MAC is used...on internet, I don't know if MAC is seen....if it was, Intel could find that device.

Here, report back what they say: Understanding Networks and TCP/IP

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1269 Reply Likes
Four modem replacements?  Eek.  Sounds like the problem isn't/wasn't the modem.  The chances of four modems being faulty are worse than me winning the lottery.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
@Bains9999 - have you tried to use the VS2 modem/router in the normal mode, NOT in Bridge mode? Can you access the internet then?
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
in bridge mode viasat front line tech can not see a list of devices as the modem is not doing Nat to those devices. TRUE. Esvt gets info from modem. Viasat Corp techs can see those devices but only using some other unknown interface.

In bridge mode you will find it unstable, random packets can kill the network funkery that viasat has running on it's gateways. Your public IP(s) never really reside on your modem.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I know for a fact eSVT (the tool used to diagnose account status) can not see past a bridged modem.
I have no idea WHY I can not see anything on other side of a bridged modem.

The bridged accounts I am aware of have no browsing or other network issues.
One bridged account is for a fellow who makes his living maintaining personal & business computers & networks.

Beyond the 'bridge' issue/question, something smells fishy with this tale...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Lexus

....If an user's router was set to bridge mode