Question for forum member Judge and Jury about Times Microwave LMR 600-75 cable

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Hey,

I couldn't figure out how to send a PM to someone one here if it's even possible so I just decided to create a new post.

Anyways, I have a question for you Judge and Jury if you happen to see this.

I saw that you said you replaced your RG-6 cable with Times Microwave LMR 600-75 cable in another thread.

I would like to replace my current cable with a higher quality one like you have done, but I need one that is direct burial compatible and that comes with high quality weather proof fittings already installed.

Do you think you could you help me in finding a Times Microwave RG-6 replacement that is direct burial/solid copper center conductor? I need 20ft to be specific, my run is pretty short from the TRIA to my modem inside.

Thank you!
Photo of Jordan

Jordan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

If the length is only 20' the cost/benefit of using cable that cost over $2.00 per foot with connectors that cost $35.00 each isn't justified (plus the special tool to install them).  That's a rather short run.  A length of 100' or more is going to make a difference.  When installing any coax, be careful of bends.  Coax isn't magically impervious to serious loss  from near-kink bending and mounting hardware should not crush/distort the cable's diameter... ever.  Your run is so short the calculable difference in RG6 and LMR 600-75 cables is insignificant. 
I have 3 ViaSat systems here and one has a very long coax run (280') so the best cable available was required.  My installer was what I'll call a "good 'ol boy" that wanted to see if it would work, so he put the system in... and it did.  Other people have long cable runs and this coax will be worth using despite it's cost.

Photo of david

david, Champion

• 541 Posts
  • 385 Reply Likes
I had just over 150' of cable starting in '05 with WildBlue and in '13 for Exede. We never had any problems or speed issues due to cable length. For 20' you might as well throw the extra money out your car window because you're not going to improve your connection with it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 799 Posts
  • 465 Reply Likes
I don't know exactly how it works with ViaSat, but I would verify with them that replacing your cable with something else, or simply working on any part of the system, is not going to void any type of warranty or anything like that.  Just make sure you aren't opening up a can of worms by doing so.